Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

CommonShore posted:

I know that this is a tangent, but the 10,000 hours thing is entirely made up out of literally nothing, so it's not helpful for tracking and measuring your own progress and learning.

Actually huh i had never actually thought about where that came from, good opint.

knuthgrush posted:

I don't track mat time hut it's an interesting stat to consider. Is that only rolling? Classes? Solo drills at odd times? I'm early in my journey and I could get a fairly close accurate estimate of my time so far.

I basically track by the hour whether it's class, open mat, seminar or competition. I round up to the closest hour for >30 mins or down for <90mins etc. I don't spend time sitting on the side of the mat talking to people and if I do that's not getting counted.

The reason I track is because I think years aren't super useful as a metric because of stuff like last year where I didn't train past 13 March, and I want to be as consistent as possible so trying to hit a certain threshold per year (say a minimum of 3hrs / week but trying to reach 4.5hrs / week) is a helpful tool for me to do so.

e: also is your username a reference to the sludge band? because if so, awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I estimated my mat hours to bluebelt as roughly 1400. Ymmv though. I constantly feel like a slow student and I was plagued with injuries (mostly not jiu jitsu related)

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

butros posted:

Actually huh i had never actually thought about where that came from, good opint.

I basically track by the hour whether it's class, open mat, seminar or competition. I round up to the closest hour for >30 mins or down for <90mins etc. I don't spend time sitting on the side of the mat talking to people and if I do that's not getting counted.

The reason I track is because I think years aren't super useful as a metric because of stuff like last year where I didn't train past 13 March, and I want to be as consistent as possible so trying to hit a certain threshold per year (say a minimum of 3hrs / week but trying to reach 4.5hrs / week) is a helpful tool for me to do so.

e: also is your username a reference to the sludge band? because if so, awesome!

seems like a fair metric. maybe i'll go back and calculate my time, then. i don't do much sideline talking because the class i attend is the old farts morning class and we're lucky to get 6 people on a given day, whereas the night classes are super crowded. i'm assuming "rolling" and drilling with my son on the odd evening at home doesn't count even if we have a mat... right?

and yeah, my username is a combination of donald knuth's (computer scientist) name and the band noothgrush. if you haven't heard their split with corrupted yet from 1997, go make that a priority.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Anders Erickson was the researcher whose work got popularized into the 10000 hour rule. Its still legit but It’s an old study, and widely misinterpreted. It basically can be summed up as that the very highest elite level of musicians had about 10k hours of deliberate practice, when they broke into the top.

But not everything is music and later studies have also found that while massive time with coached practice is important there’s a lot of factors and 10k hours isn’t everything nor is it true across all activities.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

knuthgrush posted:

seems like a fair metric. maybe i'll go back and calculate my time, then. i don't do much sideline talking because the class i attend is the old farts morning class and we're lucky to get 6 people on a given day, whereas the night classes are super crowded. i'm assuming "rolling" and drilling with my son on the odd evening at home doesn't count even if we have a mat... right?

I mean there’s no rule. If you want to count time with your son as an hour it’s not like some mat time auditor will hunt you down. I just use it to quantify something I can honestly tell myself was intentional learning/drilling/rolling. Obviously if I count YouTube video watching id be north of 10k in hours but I choose not to count those in my Tally :smugdog:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Hmmm, according to my gantt chart I am 47 hours overdue for another white belt stripe.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Im not even keeping track. Most stripes and belt promotions at a lot of schools seem to follow a loose following of the IBJJF guidelines for belt rank time. Based on that, I figure at my current rate (im literally in the gym all the time), Ill be at Brown sometime in the first part of 2022, which would be roughly 3 years after getting my purple belt, but like i said, if it happens, it happens....

**sidenote, it really sucked having my former coach tell me the reason he thought I quit the gym was because I wasnt being promoted fast enough. Just goes to show how some gyms will use belt promotions as this carrot/stick mentality for trying to keep people around. gently caress that nonsense.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 5, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
For perspective on how long 10k hours is, 2000 hours is 40 hours a week for 50 weeks. 10k hours is five years of full time work with only two weeks and weekends off.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

**sidenote, it really sucked having my former coach tell me the reason he thought I quit the gym was because I wasnt being promoted fast enough. Just goes to show how some gyms will use belt promotions as this carrot/stick mentality for trying to keep people around. gently caress that nonsense.

That idea has always been strange to me. I've known more people who seemed to be avoiding promotion events than people eager for the next belt. Other members of my gym joked about one guy being an 8 stripe brown belt before the instructors finally put a black belt on him. It's not even a competition sandbagging thing. It's more about imposter syndrome. It feels good to be "good for a (white|blue|purple) belt." It's tough to feel "lovely for a (purple|brown|black) belt." I enjoyed my purple belt time. I'm still trying to feel worthy of the brown belt. I'm in no hurry for the next scary belt change.

FreakyMetalKid fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 6, 2021

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Given the rise in yet more covid here in the states, does anyone have home-training strategies? I'm just a one tip white belt. I started training just a couple months before full lockdown here and only just got back to the mats earlier this summer. I kept my gym dues the entire time I was gone to try to support the place.

My son has been training as well and he's really flourishing but he's too young for the 5g chips. I still have him in the gym but I'm on the fence about keeping him there if it gets real plaguey again. If I pull him out, I'll leave again as well because I hear it's possible to have the shot and still carry the virus.

I have loads of videos but no training partner other than my son who's also a white belt. But he's young and I've got 50lbs on him. We wouldn't learn much I dont think. I gave up on solo training after about three months into the pandemic because it was mostly fruitless.

I really don't want to go back to just teaching myself boxing. I hate to give up grappling again. I was unable to find anyone who wanted to isolate and train in the garage or whatever.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

FreakyMetalKid posted:

That idea has always been strange to me. I've known more people who seemed to be avoiding promotion events than people eager for the next belt. Other memebers of my gym joked about one guy being an 8 stripe brown belt before the instructors finally put a black belt on him. It's not even a competition sandbagging thing. It's more about imposter syndrome. It feels good to be "good for a (white|blue|purple) belt." It's tough to feel "lovely for a (purple|brown|black) belt." I enjoyed my purple belt time. I'm still trying to feel worthy of the brown belt. I'm in no hurry for the next scary belt change.

This is exactly the way I feel as well considering that I still often get my rear end kicked by lower belts and honestly, a lot of times I dont feel like rolling or giving 100%.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

This is exactly the way I feel as well considering that I still often get my rear end kicked by lower belts and honestly, a lot of times I dont feel like rolling or giving 100%.

When you get tapped by a lower belt, remember that you probably made their day.

Then get that sweet revenge tap

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Not alone. Been feeling like off and done for a few weeks now. Some classes better than others but when that class comes and nothing clicks, get tapped all the time and just pinned in positions it sucks. And I have such a long way to go to get back to my pre-pandemic state that's its mentally and physically tiring. I'll get there eventually but man does the journey suck some days.

Doesn't help my pile of trash lower back is making me walk like a hunchback all week.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I got overzealous for my first day back on Monday. Went for 4 5-minute rounds and my body got pretty serious DOMS for the next couple days. I'm gonna go to class tomorrow and just chill at the end. I'll just let my exposure come in slowly but surely.

I also suck at nogi apparently. Gotta go get those fundaments down.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

knuthgrush posted:

Given the rise in yet more covid here in the states, does anyone have home-training strategies? I'm just a one tip white belt. I started training just a couple months before full lockdown here and only just got back to the mats earlier this summer. I kept my gym dues the entire time I was gone to try to support the place.

My son has been training as well and he's really flourishing but he's too young for the 5g chips. I still have him in the gym but I'm on the fence about keeping him there if it gets real plaguey again. If I pull him out, I'll leave again as well because I hear it's possible to have the shot and still carry the virus.

I have loads of videos but no training partner other than my son who's also a white belt. But he's young and I've got 50lbs on him. We wouldn't learn much I dont think. I gave up on solo training after about three months into the pandemic because it was mostly fruitless.

I really don't want to go back to just teaching myself boxing. I hate to give up grappling again. I was unable to find anyone who wanted to isolate and train in the garage or whatever.

bond with your son man.

this is actually an instance where i'd recommend danaher. because the weight difference is so massive, your boy's technique will need to be spot on to work when you get to the resisting part of drilling, and if he just can't get something to work on you, danaher has pointed out what it is exactly and then talked about it for 20 minutes.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Marching Powder posted:

can't get something to work on you, danaher has pointed out what it is exactly and then talked about it for 200 minutes.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Belts don't matter.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

Belts don't matter.

I brought up my belt to point out that I don't have a lot of training so doing things at home without a coach would require a lot of instruction. Belts may not matter but at my level it helps me find training material.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Marching Powder posted:

bond with your son man.

this is actually an instance where i'd recommend danaher. because the weight difference is so massive, your boy's technique will need to be spot on to work when you get to the resisting part of drilling, and if he just can't get something to work on you, danaher has pointed out what it is exactly and then talked about it for 20 minutes.

Yeah that's the current plan. He already likes to drill and roll with me, I just think he'd miss the coaches and having some goals to work toward.

The only danaher video I have is his solo drills one from bjj fanatics. Are there any specific videos that would help? Maybe it's time to stop working on a cramped mat in the living room and convert the garage into a half-assed gym.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

knuthgrush posted:

Yeah that's the current plan. He already likes to drill and roll with me, I just think he'd miss the coaches and having some goals to work toward.

The only danaher video I have is his solo drills one from bjj fanatics. Are there any specific videos that would help? Maybe it's time to stop working on a cramped mat in the living room and convert the garage into a half-assed gym.

https://bjjfanatics.com/products/half-guard-bjj-fundamentals-go-further-faster-by-john-danaher is really good and half guard is critical.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Thanks! Ive got Bernardo faria's fundamentals and Chris haueter's old school techniques videos. I'll add that one to the list.

I should be re-watching these anyway. I only get to go to the gym twice a week and observe my son's classes. One of which is bjj. Not using my potential training time wisely.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

counterpoint: half guard is dumb

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

knuthgrush posted:

I brought up my belt to point out that I don't have a lot of training so doing things at home without a coach would require a lot of instruction. Belts may not matter but at my level it helps me find training material.

I think the concept of belts helps white and maybe blue belts but I think long term it falls away and becomes meaningless.

I say this as a lowly white belt who can barely escape closed guard

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sounds like someone has gotten swept from deep half too much for their liking...

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Lol it's the only thing I'm remotely OK at. So yeah it tracks I guess.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

counter-counterpoint: closed guard is boring once you understand it.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

As a dumb newbie it took me way too long to realise that just because I'm not immediately passing someone's closed guard doesn't mean I'm not making it exhausting for them to try and maintain it. It has made closed guard a lot more fun for me. I also wind up in half guard a lot so it's something I've been trying to get way better at as well; luckily the instructor really likes playing from half guard so he's always happy to go through it with me.

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 6, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/nbcolympics/status/1423612487811964928?s=21

Gable Steveson with a buzzer beater for gold

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Belts don't matter.

They really dont. And I notice that there are a few schools that really use this poo poo as a point with either keeping students around by giving belts to people who barely train to "keep up the numbers" or using it for leverage against the people who train all the time. Dont forget about the reinforcement it sends to belts within the gym to "tap that upper belt" or..."I got tapped by a lower belt".

I used to train with this one girl that would show up late to the mat (when she would actually show up), not want to drill and then proceed to tell everyone how to do the move. Come rolling time she was always hurt. She was praised for pulling guard in a Judo class by my instructor once and I was like, seriously, :wtf:. A couple months later she was given her blue belt :psyduck:

I had a black belt friend of mine where his old professor wouldnt give him a black belt until he went to church with him and got saved by Jesus :dogstare:

Yeah not a big fan of belt systems in general, although there does seem to be a few schools around that try not use it as bait.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I had a black belt friend of mine where his old professor wouldnt give him a

Was this a surprise, though? Presumably your friend trained under him for years if not decades, I feel like you get to know these type of things about people pretty quickly, why'd he stick around?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

They really dont. And I notice that there are a few schools that really use this poo poo as a point with either keeping students around by giving belts to people who barely train to "keep up the numbers" or using it for leverage against the people who train all the time. Dont forget about the reinforcement it sends to belts within the gym to "tap that upper belt" or..."I got tapped by a lower belt".

I used to train with this one girl that would show up late to the mat (when she would actually show up), not want to drill and then proceed to tell everyone how to do the move. Come rolling time she was always hurt. She was praised for pulling guard in a Judo class by my instructor once and I was like, seriously, :wtf:. A couple months later she was given her blue belt :psyduck:

I had a black belt friend of mine where his old professor wouldnt give him a black belt until he went to church with him and got saved by Jesus :dogstare:

Yeah not a big fan of belt systems in general, although there does seem to be a few schools around that try not use it as bait.

Yup it's stupid ruse. Nogi life 4eva. There's so many lovely black belts too. People need to wake up.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

BTW guys if you get the chance the Rickson podcast with Jocko is a really good listen. He goes into a lot of family history, obviously breathing and his breath-work. He also goes into the psychological aspects of teaching people on the mat. Its something that I have been interested in as you get so many different personas, egos, insecurities and such when training. He addresses the lazy (a phase Im going through), the tough guy, the insecure, etc.

Brut posted:

Was this a surprise, though? Presumably your friend trained under him for years if not decades, I feel like you get to know these type of things about people pretty quickly, why'd he stick around?

If you know youre instructor is religious, its one thing, but getting to a point of promotion and then them springing on you some bogus requirement for you to receive a belt is another. This was a school with a couple of brown belts and not many people making it beyond purple, which to me is also a big warning sign.

Yup it's stupid ruse. Nogi life 4eva. There's so many lovely black belts too. People need to wake up.

There are a lot of good ones too, however, I also believe that there is a mental aspect of learning jiu jitsu that many instructors are not prepared to address, hence the various reasons people quit.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yo, anything in this video look egregiously wrong?

https://youtu.be/MkL2OrnMbaY

My YouTube feed is filling up with 10 year sub 10k view Judo instructionals and I'd like to vet this at least a little before I offer it up to my coach at our show and tell day

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I believe modern judo competition referees will be pretty aggressive about calling penalties for snapdowns like that. Doesn't mean it isn't a valid grappling technique, but unless the goal is to put the guy on his back it's apparently contrary to the spirit of modern judo. This wasn't so much the case 10 years ago.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ihop posted:

I believe modern judo competition referees will be pretty aggressive about calling penalties for snapdowns like that. Doesn't mean it isn't a valid grappling technique, but unless the goal is to put the guy on his back it's apparently contrary to the spirit of modern judo. This wasn't so much the case 10 years ago.

Yes, but probably the reverse will usually happenfirst. If the wrestler comes out in that stance they might get a defensive posture penalty

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah it's a little ironic that the better option is to do nothing, and let the other person start racking up shidos.

When I was a white belt and took that posture one of my coaches would snap me down and start circling and quickly have me spinning around completely off the ground like some goofy wwf move then he would "land" me on my belly and clock choke me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sorry, I should have clarified I go to a Jiujitsu/ MMA gym and we don't have anyone with a Judo background, hence the interest in videos. So, I'm only curious if it seems useful from a general grappling technique, I'm not looking for an Ippon.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Just my opinion, but I think the snapdown like that, along with the collar drag, is one of the easier "takedowns" for beginners to learn and start actually implementing. Works well against anyone with a bent over posture. It'll work great against white belts and blue belts, but see diminishing success above that with the caveat that if you're athletic/strong enough you might be able to hit it against almost anybody (of reasonably similar size) once. Purple and up are going to start being aware enough of their posture to make it more difficult, but its always a threat.

Definitely worth learning, drilling, and attempting during sparring. And the transition to the back will help your front headlock game and sprawl transitions.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
There's a black belt at my gym whose standup game in the gi is built around that kind of thing, and he's had a good amount of success with it in (masters) BJJ tournaments. Cross-collar lapel grip, lots of rapid snapdowns if you bend forward even a little bit, loop choke or sprawl to back take, etc. etc. He happens to be very strong, but it's a generally applicable strategy--someone bending over is already breaking their posture, so why not help them along with it?

Personally, I'm lazy, so in the gi, I just let wrestlers shoot on me and then use the over-the-back belt grip to do sacrifice throws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It went well! I actually got 2nd in no-gi absolute (the old black belt in the division hurt his knee when he took out the one 250+ pounder big boy from the bracket, so I never had to face him which I was both bummed and relieved) and first in blue belt absolute. The weighted divisions were actually way more competitive since the guys that are really into competing don't want jump into the absolute divisions first thing in the morning, so I didn't do as well there and placed third in both divisions but I did get a sick kimura sweep-> pass-> armbar action shot.