Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Charles posted:

Is there a proper name for these anti slip pads cause I couldn't seem to figure out the right term to find them at Home Depot or Amazon.

Rubber stair tread

https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-Stair-...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Multy-H...-204652293-_-N&

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stair grippers or stair treads.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Composi...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Thank you, my friend has wood stairs and I swear I'm going to fall to my death

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Why has my toilet starting whistling/singing when it is refilling after a flush, and what do I need to do to make it stop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VSJvtvMzGc

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Charles posted:

Is there a proper name for these anti slip pads cause I couldn't seem to figure out the right term to find them at Home Depot or Amazon.

Stair Treads, as others have said. I will add that you get what you pay for. My first set were thin rubber and were worthless. Paid for some heavier duty treads and am mostly happy. After 5 years the little bit that goes down on the front of the tread has worn off on most of them, but drat if I haven't had a slip since installing them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
welp

So much for the tension adjustment knob on my bandsaw. It snapped clean in half while I was trying to remove it (it was broken anyway...I guess applying more leverage was not the solution for unscrewing something that mysteriously didn't want to unscrew). It's supposed to go into the top of that gray plate; you can see the other end of the rod coming out the bottom of it.

Now what?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

welp

So much for the tension adjustment knob on my bandsaw. It snapped clean in half while I was trying to remove it (it was broken anyway...I guess applying more leverage was not the solution for unscrewing something that mysteriously didn't want to unscrew). It's supposed to go into the top of that gray plate; you can see the other end of the rod coming out the bottom of it.

Now what?
:rip:

I guess call grizzly support and fuss at them and see what they say? May have to pull that grey box with the tensioney parts in it?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the lights on the same circuit flicker when I turn on my vacuum. This happens no matter which outlet. My electrician has verified they are all working correctly - is this strange? It's just a standard hoover windtunnel vacuum. I've never had this issue with any other appliance, small or large.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

actionjackson posted:

the lights on the same circuit flicker when I turn on my vacuum. This happens no matter which outlet. My electrician has verified they are all working correctly - is this strange? It's just a standard hoover windtunnel vacuum. I've never had this issue with any other appliance, small or large.

Electric motors have a very high start up draw (inrush current) generally your vacuum isn't going to have a start and run cap (bigger motors would have this).
The dimming lights is because when you flip the switch that motor has a lot of draw to get the torque it needs to get itself rolling but doesn't need as much power to keep itself going, so for a split second you get the dimming.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Electric motors have a very high start up draw (inrush current) generally your vacuum isn't going to have a start and run cap (bigger motors would have this).
The dimming lights is because when you flip the switch that motor has a lot of draw to get the torque it needs to get itself rolling but doesn't need as much power to keep itself going, so for a split second you get the dimming.

thanks - would it be accurate to say that for that split second the maximum amperage on that circuit is being exceeded? the initial vacuum draw + the ceiling light that was on in the room.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

actionjackson posted:

thanks - would it be accurate to say that for that split second the maximum amperage on that circuit is being exceeded? the initial vacuum draw + the ceiling light that was on in the room.

It would be more than accurate.

Motors typically pull anywhere between 6x and 10x (or more) of their nominal running current at start-up. Your vacuum does it, your fridge does it, your A/C fan does it, etc.

Lots of loads do this, but motors are especially bad. However, circuit breakers are designed to handle this transient spike without tripping. If it's too high, it gets in to the "instantaneous" region of the trip curve, but typically this doesn't happen. Maybe if the circuit is already highly loaded, it might trip it due to that inrush (edit: of course if it didn't trip immediately, it would probably trip soon after in this case). But just 1 light + vacuum is unlikely to be a problem.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 5, 2021

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

A good chance to post a circuit breaker trip curve. It's very clever.

Long time values for slight over-current situations are thermally tripped, short time values are magnetically tripped. A breaker will tolerate a very brief transient current significantly over the rating (on this chart pretending it's a 20 amp breaker means it will allow a 200 amp inrush for over a second). Different breakers do have different curves to help accommodate different loads and equipment, but that mostly doesn't come into residential situations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So the house smells like acetone, noticed upon return from vacation this week. This probably means a refrigerant leak, which is bad, but fixable. The unit isn’t old at all, perhaps from 2013. But I am worried—I have two kids, and I’m worried about Freon poisoning. We are putting in a call to our HVAC tech tonight and leaving a VM but is this a get out of the house tonight thing or get refrigerant poisoning? Or is it a, get a tech out ASAP but we should be fine til then? Or is it even a refrigerant leak at all, because I’m getting google telling me acetone smells could be a refrigerant leak, and other places telling me it’s odorless and if I’m smelling anything it’s not the A/C.

edit: well gently caress me for daring to also ask on r/hvacadvice, where I got a three-word answer and when I followed up with a request for clarification, dude got snarky. Am I the idiot?

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 6, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

life is killing me posted:

So the house smells like acetone, noticed upon return from vacation this week. This probably means a refrigerant leak, which is bad, but fixable. The unit isn’t old at all, perhaps from 2013. But I am worried—I have two kids, and I’m worried about Freon poisoning. We are putting in a call to our HVAC tech tonight and leaving a VM but is this a get out of the house tonight thing or get refrigerant poisoning? Or is it a, get a tech out ASAP but we should be fine til then?

quote:

Mild exposure to Freon in a well-ventilated area is usually not serious, including having a small amount on the skin or having a localized leak in the home. However, if a person notices symptoms of refrigerant poisoning, they should contact their doctor or emergency service immediately.

The article goes on to describe the symptoms. They're pretty much what you'd expect: headache, nausea, irritated eyes/nose/throat.

I'm not an expert and can't make a risk assessment for you, but if you can set up a fan and keep windows open to ventilate the house, my guess is you'll be fine.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The article goes on to describe the symptoms. They're pretty much what you'd expect: headache, nausea, irritated eyes/nose/throat.

I'm not an expert and can't make a risk assessment for you, but if you can set up a fan and keep windows open to ventilate the house, my guess is you'll be fine.

Thanks. I edited my post to add more, but basically I’ve checked around and I’m getting told now that refrigerant is odorless and if I smell acetone it’s not a refrigerant leak or even the A/C at all. We have opened windows at least. My wife is now irritated with me for some reason for daring to suggest we might not need to freak out and whisk the kids away to my mother-in-law’s place in the blink of an eye, but nonetheless I am also concerned.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Any open paint or nail polish in the house?

Old bananas?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Any open paint or nail polish in the house?

Old bananas?

Yes, acetone or nail polish remover is the most…prominent smell. And the first thing that came to my mind was it smelled like we’d just painted the house and we hadn’t. We returned from vacation recently this week and I figured perhaps it was lingering from painting our daughter’s room months ago and I was smelling it because I’d been gone awhile, but my wife smells it too and it’s strong in the kids’ rooms.

But old bananas? Nope.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Is there a kind of rope that doesn't shrink when it gets wet but also would absorb wood glue?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

You could try hempex or any of the other synthetic ropes made to replace hemp rigging on boats. I’m not sure how well it would adhere to wood glue specifically but there are other glues that would work for sure.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I guess I mean cheap glue. Wood glue is $40 for 3L but resin is closer to $100. I'm trying to freeze a catenary arch into a bunch of ropes to make the rigid back of a solar cooker. So it's a lot of rope and a lot of glue. I guess I should have asked "What is the cheapest rope / glue combination?"

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Freon hasn't been used in refrigerators since the 90s FYI

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

alnilam posted:

Freon hasn't been used in refrigerators since the 90s FYI

Right, just a catch-all for refrigerant, I’m aware it’s probably r410a or some such. Oddly enough I have a license from the EPA though it was one specific application and one type of refrigerant so I know little about the rest of them. I know DuPont has it as a brand name and it’s been largely banned, so my unit being newer than 2010 means it probably has something else, but is that less harmful?

I guess I’m asking, do I even have a refrigerant leak? Reddit is really going hard on the “refrigerant is odorless” front, but I find it curious I’ve seen so many articles online indicating otherwise so I’m not sure what’s correct.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Yes, acetone or nail polish remover is the most…prominent smell. And the first thing that came to my mind was it smelled like we’d just painted the house and we hadn’t. We returned from vacation recently this week and I figured perhaps it was lingering from painting our daughter’s room months ago and I was smelling it because I’d been gone awhile, but my wife smells it too and it’s strong in the kids’ rooms.

But old bananas? Nope.

I've definitely gotten the fresh paint smell after being away from a newish house for a while, but usually stop noticing after an hour or two is my recollection.
edit: like when I'd been away at college and came back to my parent's house, for example (which was only a few years old)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

DreadLlama posted:

I guess I mean cheap glue. Wood glue is $40 for 3L but resin is closer to $100. I'm trying to freeze a catenary arch into a bunch of ropes to make the rigid back of a solar cooker. So it's a lot of rope and a lot of glue. I guess I should have asked "What is the cheapest rope / glue combination?"

Ah, ok. If it's not for decorative purposes I'd just buy some crappy cotton sash cord and do some experiments to figure out how much it actually shrinks when you're forming it and then just account for that in your cuts. If you want something that doesn't shrink at all you're looking at probably solid braid polyester rope and that's gonna be a lot more expensive, not to mention that depending on how it's coated the wood glue may not absorb at all.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Is there any reason it has to be rope and glue? I feel like there has to be an easier way to get the effect you want.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

But old bananas? Nope.

Is there a slim chance your house has always smelled like this and you've been nose deaf to it until taking a long enough trip to reset?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

couldcareless posted:

Is there a slim chance your house has always smelled like this and you've been nose deaf to it until taking a long enough trip to reset?

Possibly? It crossed my mind but the smell is so strong especially in the garage.

Yea there is literally a small container of acetone on my garage that hasn’t been opened in a few months and it’s metal so not sure that’s the problem either

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Another possibility is that because you were gone, the house didn't get ventilated for awhile, allowing the odor to build up to detectable levels. So the leak/outgassing/whatever has always been there, you just hadn't been able to notice before.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Khizan posted:

Is there any reason it has to be rope and glue? I feel like there has to be an easier way to get the effect you want.

I was just thinking about it last night and actually I think I'd be better off with a sheet of fiberglass. If it's supported along two ends and allowed to sag in the middle it should form the catenary arch I want and then I'd just need to resin it in place. It would support my reflective material better, too.

So I have a new question. Say I wanted a sheet of of fiberglass about 10 feet by 8 feet, to replace these silly ropes.

Where can I get the best price in Canada? Will mat work OK or do I need woven?

Alternate question: Is there a better material for this application?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Could you use a sheet of canvas and saturate it in resin? Or use it as a base/mould to lay fibreglass on? You can buy fibreglass kits with sheets that you form into a shame and then saturate with resin.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Does canvas shrink when it gets wet? That's a good idea.

edit: price isn't bad either. https://www.amazon.ca/Cleaning-Solutions-79110-Canvas-Cloth/dp/B07969RP1B

You can't soak canvas in resin, right? Like I need the fiberglass and the canvas, don't I?

edit: Or, could I soak canvas in wood glue?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 6, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The movers came yesterday, and we discovered that our free-standing 6-foot bookshelves would not make it up the staircase. We also discovered why the previous owner had a split box spring.

We're going to need to put built-in bookshelves in the upstairs bedrooms, as well as in the kitchen. If we wait (say) six months, will that probably be enough for wood prices to come down to the new normal?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Menards is claiming prices have fallen tremendously in their ads this week. Maybe swing by or a lowes/HD and check?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Lumber prices at the wholesale level have come back to basically high normal but prices often slump this time of year. They're still a good bit higher than they were pre-covid, ($560/mbf today vs ~$350-400 in 2019) but they hit $600 in 2018, so not off the charts insane like they have been for the past year. I doubt we'll get back to $350 lumber for a while, and I suspect the new normal for the next year or three is going to be $450-500/mbf.

I'm not sure if that has filtered down to retail level or not yet, but it should in the next few weeks/months, especially as the weather gets worse for construction in fall/winter.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Update: A/C tech told me over the phone that I shouldn’t be able to smell refrigerant, so I’ve set an appointment for their next available time but fully expect to end up cancelling it when our A/C continues to work just fine. Now, just what the smell actually is, is a mystery. But, my wife should be satisfied with the answer.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Any older gas appliances? I've mistaken that smell for paint in the past when it was just a pilot light that blew out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

re: wood prices, there are two factors pushing prices up: supply chain disruption is the one in the news and which is probably going to sort itself out fairly quickly over the next few months. The other is that vast tracts of western pine forests are burning to the ground annually now, and that's not going to get better and actually probably will get much worse.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I made the mistake of googling the prices of AC parts after paying an expert to replace a bad electrical component and an old one. :smith: I would have never been able to diagnose the issue of the capacitor not distributing the correct electricity to everything else, but it feels bad.

Eventually I'll need to replace the motor and I don't think I have $800 for that. How difficult is it? I saw how to disconnect the electric and I'm fine at using YouTube to learn, just asking for a general sense of if I should bother.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

Any older gas appliances? I've mistaken that smell for paint in the past when it was just a pilot light that blew out.

Naw. We have gas appliances, but they are from around 2014. Curiously, the stove/oven sits up against my son’s room, but we don’t have natural gas, we have a buried propane tank that supplies the gas. Still pretty sure the A/C is powered by electricity and not gas, but not positive. Anyway, nothing with pilot lights. The propane also smells very distinctive, the same disgusting smell they add to all of it that everyone knows well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Harold Fjord posted:

I made the mistake of googling the prices of AC parts after paying an expert to replace a bad electrical component and an old one. :smith: I would have never been able to diagnose the issue of the capacitor not distributing the correct electricity to everything else, but it feels bad.

Eventually I'll need to replace the motor and I don't think I have $800 for that. How difficult is it? I saw how to disconnect the electric and I'm fine at using YouTube to learn, just asking for a general sense of if I should bother.

I've replaced both a blower motor and the condenser fan (is that what it's called? the outdoor one anyway) motor before. The shittiest part by far was getting the fans off of the motor shafts without damaging them. I wound up buying a special puller. I'm pretty comfortable with electrical things in general and I don't remember the details but I think for those motors on my goodman all-in-one gas pack thing it was just a matter of taking a panel off the side, unplugging a connector from the board, and plugging in the connector for the new motor.