Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
First WSBK race was really good. I thought to myself "Toprak, that was too nice, block pass the poo poo out of him" the first attempt he made on the last lap, I guess he knew he could recover and block pass the poo poo out of him at the end. Scott Redding should be less salty and maybe watch some Dovi last laps to figure out how to defend that.

E: I started watching motogp in 2007 when I got my motorcycle endorsement and, knowing nothing about the sport, cheered against Rossi because it felt like it might be cheering for the Yankees because he was such a frontrunner. I was firmly a Rossi fan by 2008. He's one of those guys that has so much charisma you can tell even on screen. Stoner was so dour, and Lorenzo a year later always seemed like a poser when he did his Rossiesque celebrations.

BitcoinRockefeller fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Moto3 on a mixed wet/dry track with part of the grid on slicks and the rest on wets. This should be some good chaos.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
*double post*

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

moto3 was loving good and I haven't been keeping up so it was definitely a good one to drop in on. multiple bad decisions by teams, a good duel, and amazing last lap

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Good racing in Moto3 and Moto2.

MotoGP has the hardest working cleanup crew on the calender back in action again

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

echomadman posted:

Good racing in Moto3 and Moto2.

MotoGP has the hardest working cleanup crew on the calender back in action again

it was pretty worrying at first that was a lot more fire than I'm used to seeing from these bikes

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

the paradigm shift posted:

that was a lot more fire than I'm used to seeing from these bikes

With only 2.5 laps in they both had pretty much full tanks.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was going to go full "Red Bull Ring too dangerous" but that crash can happen anywhere I guess.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

algebra testes posted:

"Red Bull Ring too dangerous"

Red Flag Ring

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Would you believe Jorge Martin is 5'6"? I looked it up because this picture made me think he was sub 5 feet, but Mir is a surprising 5'11" and Fabio is only an inch shorter. Maybe it was the lack of people at the podiums last year, I didn't realize they weren't the normal jockey height.

https://twitter.com/birtymotogp/status/1424384128984784896?s=19

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

it was pretty worrying at first that was a lot more fire than I'm used to seeing from these bikes

It was an Aprilia though so that's like +4 fire damage

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Would you believe Jorge Martin is 5'6"? I looked it up because this picture made me think he was sub 5 feet, but Mir is a surprising 5'11" and Fabio is only an inch shorter. Maybe it was the lack of people at the podiums last year, I didn't realize they weren't the normal jockey height.

https://twitter.com/birtymotogp/status/1424384128984784896?s=19

Theory: corner speed bikes favour tall skinny riders because they can hang off really far too the inside and make the most of relatively weak weight transfer when braking, stop-go bikes favour muscular jockeys because they're more physical and rely on aerodynamics more.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Longer arms = more leverage and an easier time turning the bars in all situations, although it probably is more advantageous on a corner speed bike since the turn in speed is higher and they have more gyroscopic force to overcome.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
What a fun day out for 3 and 2 there, and unusually for 3 a case where there's a clear leader from the start like Portimão. And they do it all again in 6 days.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rip Binales

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Yamaha didn't specify what he did but the twitter rumors are he was not shifting out of 5th on the straights and just bouncing off the limiter to try to blow the bike up. Lmao that this is what it comes to after he started the year with one of his best races.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/denkmit/status/1425737001249251328

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

https://twitter.com/denkmit/status/1425737837312421891

I'm surprised they apparently use a trellis frame? I assumed everything was twin spar.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Toe Rag posted:

I'm surprised they apparently use a trellis frame? I assumed everything was twin spar.

I believe they moved to a twin spar finally this year with some weird trellis elements. the trellis frame was them trying to reinvent the wheel anyways

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
Sure hitched my wagon to the wrong horse there didn't I. I'm gonna hang with Quatararo but good god Maverick, what the gently caress.

All that said, both races were a lot of fun to watch. Love seeing rookies do well and so Jorge Martin's win was a good time to watch. Beyond that, the leafblower cleanup crew was both funny and impressive, glad that the worst Savadori suffered was a broken ankle. Moto3 was a little less Moto3 than it sometimes is, but the battle between Acosta and Garcia was fantastic and I still can't believe they got so far out ahead that Garcia could dump it on the last turn and still take second.

What's the consensus on Vinales, is Yamaha just gonna throw in the towel with him this season, and if they do is it possible Aprilia decides they don't want to deal with his poo poo next season?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

JohnClark posted:

What's the consensus on Vinales, is Yamaha just gonna throw in the towel with him this season, and if they do is it possible Aprilia decides they don't want to deal with his poo poo next season?

seems like most of the english speaking fans don't think he'll be back on a yamaha at all. I think they don't really have the bench right now to dump him for the rest of the season though.

some spanish youtuber is running with this being retaliation because mavs dad dropped yamaha in wss300 due to what he saw as unfair treatment towards mav
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qLUk2HlNZTI&feature=youtu.be

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 12, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah that frame is definitely not a 20, they moved to a true twin spar ages ago, that looks like the version 1 pedrosa bike which is why it only looks half completely wrong.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Dunno if I missed it but do we know who's replacing Sava this upcoming weekend? Smith?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

gregbest90 posted:

Dunno if I missed it but do we know who's replacing Sava this upcoming weekend? Smith?

no replacement it seems they're just going to run one bike

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

paddock rumors say cal to the factory squad to finish out the year to which I say lmao

oh yeah forgot to post in actual news, petronas is leaving gp. the moto3 and 2 teams will be shuttered and SRT needs to find a new sponsor for next year. it seems really weird that they'd just leave like that considering the southeast asia bike market and their bikes were up front last year.

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 13, 2021

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
This was posted to motoGP.com and they pushed it to youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP3n-M6B_hs

He was banging the bike off the rev limiter multiple times, sometimes just holding it there.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I'd be interested in knowing how close the rev limiter is to the actual real deal things will start breaking red line on a GP bike. Some of the comments I've seen have said "what's the big deal, the rev limiter will protect the engine" but I have a feeling it cuts in with like 30 revs to spare, not the hundreds or thousands extra a camery or something will cut you off at.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Well, sucks that the Petronas news is true. Apologies if I've missed something obvious in the way of an article, but still wondering why they withdrew the sponsorship from SRT. Cos the wins have stopped coming? Pandemic? F1? You know how I love to speculate. :raise:

- Sucks for Jake, was hoping he'd have a bit more time and really hope he can land somewhere else. A few people are having real shockers in Moto2 this year so who knows?
- Think this is the end of the road for John Mc, think we all agree that he's had apt chance and disappointed.
- Happy for Darryn if the MotoGP rumour is somehow true - but is he really ready? I know he has a win but there are many more riders I envisioned in the seat before him (I know, that's just the way it goes...).
- Vierge will find a seat somewhere else, he always does.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

paddock rumors say cal to the factory squad to finish out the year to which I say lmao

oh yeah forgot to post in actual news, petronas is leaving gp. the moto3 and 2 teams will be shuttered and SRT needs to find a new sponsor for next year. it seems really weird that they'd just leave like that considering the southeast asia bike market and their bikes were up front last year.

Whoa this sucks. Lmao @ Yamaha going from a solid dream roster and two excellent teams to one incompetent team with one decent rider fighting past the clownshow to somehow win anyway.

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I'd be interested in knowing how close the rev limiter is to the actual real deal things will start breaking red line on a GP bike. Some of the comments I've seen have said "what's the big deal, the rev limiter will protect the engine" but I have a feeling it cuts in with like 30 revs to spare, not the hundreds or thousands extra a camery or something will cut you off at.

They have a soft limiter something like 300rpm shy of the hard cut but if you're revving in neutral you'll be able to blow right past that because of how quickly they spin up.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

I'd say that 2 years with no races at their home track combined with the dismal performance from Rossi, and paradoxically his retirement, along with having to make do with whatever crap Yamaha have left from 2 seasons ago has soured Petronas on the value of the partnership.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think the theory with Petronas is pandemic budget cuts.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

This Jorge Martin guy seems pretty good at racing.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Is that the first person to take pole after being in q1? I don't think Marquez ever did it, the few times over the years he's been in q1 he's always been a bit off the pace.

E: no, marquez and vinales have both done it

BitcoinRockefeller fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 15, 2021

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
What a move by Brad.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

God drat that finish. The gamble paid off.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Utter insanity today! Allowed myself a bit of hope for a monent that Vale might get 200 there, but eh, wasn't meant to be. I know Pecco did well to claw it back but he has to be kicking himself juuust a little.

Had to unfollow Simon Patterson on Twitter because he's just the whiniest gently caress despite there being a lot to really enjoy and highlight on a given weekend. Feel kinda silly that it took this long. So you hate flag-to-flag races, boohoo!

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

What a crazy end to that race. Really thought Vale would get a final podium there for a hot second.

On another note, watching these Moto E bikes go quietly around the track is super strange.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

SocksAndSandals posted:

On another note, watching these Moto E bikes go quietly around the track is super strange.

They do really satisfying burnouts

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Yeah that was definitely an exciting 5 laps with satisfactory burnouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

gregbest90 posted:

Utter insanity today! Allowed myself a bit of hope for a monent that Vale might get 200 there, but eh, wasn't meant to be. I know Pecco did well to claw it back but he has to be kicking himself juuust a little.

Had to unfollow Simon Patterson on Twitter because he's just the whiniest gently caress despite there being a lot to really enjoy and highlight on a given weekend. Feel kinda silly that it took this long. So you hate flag-to-flag races, boohoo!

Simon Patterson seems like an ok guy but I really can't understand his insane hatred of doping in general and Iannone in particular. It's motorsports, as long as they aren't drunk or on amphetamines on track who cares, chill out a bit. Also Binder should put B4 on his leathers, for Big Balls Brad Binder.