Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I still have all my instructions from when I was a kid (thanks, Mom), and even a few boxes for the bigger sets (Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins)

I have kept pretty much every box from my adult phase but I need to start purging stuff, even flattened out it's taking up too much space in the basement storage. I'm never realistically going to sell the boxes so they may as well get recycled- will probably still keep Ninjago City & co. boxes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you like instructions, don't watch the mythbusters guy build the MF. Yeesh.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

You'd be surprised at how many people just bin the manuals, or have kids that destroy the manuals. Then again, a lot of (most?) people who buy Lego see it as nothing more than a toy, not everyone is an obsessive collector like us. In fairness, any recent set will have digital instructions on the Lego website, and manuals can take up a lot of space.

As for your issue, one thing you could do is post pics of what you have here and let other people figure out what you have while you wash everything.

Yeah I know that's sort of my last resort, but it's kind of fun just sifting through the parts, picking the minifigs out and finding what they're from on bricklick. It wouldn't be an issue if the lot weren't so large, or if everything were already disassembled, I just feel like it's bound to save me a lot of searching if I can salvage the sets that are already mostly assembled. Although, now that I'm starting to look, it seems like there's a lot of Jurassic World with most of the actual dinosaurs missing. There's also just a poo poo-ton of Ninjago which all kind of looks the same, and if they aren't worth anything it probably isn't worth the time to isolate. But there's a Doctor Who in here so I'm gonna keep searching for the other minifigs from that portal set!

There are also a lot of Friends which apparently has 660 sets listed and I couldn't care less about. So they're the ones I'm most likely to sell off but also couldn't care less about rebuilding.
Edit: (okay most of these "sets" are just one day of a bunch of Friends advent calendars)

davebo fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 8, 2021

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I kept instructions, my wife and kids did not :negative:. However, the instructions from my youth are all in three-ring binders, so from what I can tell, I might as well have just pissed all over them in terms of value.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of instructions I've got some really old ones(early 90s) that are all crumpled up. To straighten them should I just put them under some heavy books for a week?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Blue Moonlight posted:

I kept instructions, my wife and kids did not :negative:. However, the instructions from my youth are all in three-ring binders, so from what I can tell, I might as well have just pissed all over them in terms of value.

You probably haven't to be honest. Most old instructions aren't worth more than a few bucks so there wasn't much value in the first place. However, if you have instructions from rare or sought-after sets then they might be worth a bit, so long as they're still in decent shape (even with holes punched out).

RatHat posted:

Speaking of instructions I've got some really old ones(early 90s) that are all crumpled up. To straighten them should I just put them under some heavy books for a week?

Yep, I've done the same thing myself.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I keep instructions but kinda wish I didn't, I have two boxes of them and they're loving heavy. I hate paper.

But I'll never throw them out, it's a really effective record of everything I own and they're also pretty useful for building the sets themselves. In spite of their poor color reproduction.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Waltzing Along posted:

If you like instructions, don't watch the mythbusters guy build the MF. Yeesh.

The one where he rips the instruction book into halves? Absolutely lunatic behaviour.

Mind you, that fucker is two kilos on its own, so I guess I understand the rationale, even if my jaw hit the floor when it happened.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Grand Fromage posted:

I have now put the first mast on this Barracuda Bay and oh boy I was a fool to think this was going on the bookshelf.

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea where I'm going to put this thing once it's done, buy I couldn't *not* buy it, especially after the lego site said it was ~*hard to find*~ and the whole saga of failing to buy one last year.

Maybe one day when I can migrate my modulars from shelves into a city, this would make a great theme park with the roller coaster, helms deep castle, and carnival scrambler ride sets

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Good god there are so many Harry Potter set remakes of the same scenes. I guess they’re limited in what they can make since Harry Potter is actually a pretty violent series(especially the final few books/movies)

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

You probably haven't to be honest. Most old instructions aren't worth more than a few bucks so there wasn't much value in the first place.

Oh, much like Bitcoin, the value is all hypothetical because I’d never sell them, hah.

Speaking of, I think this has come up before, but is there any guides for valuing your collection for insurance and “selling once I am too dead to care” purposes? Probably another fun thing to add to the “adulting” checklist.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The technic frame on the Devastator is surprisingly fun to build. at least compared to the Falcon. Bunch of crazy parts I've never seen before since I don't do technic normally, not very repetitive and the basic shape comes together in a couple of hours. This thing is going to be enormous lol.

I'm stoked the Nebulon B scales almost perfectly to it. It's maybe 25% too big but close enough. It's going to look great next to it with the little blockade runner.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 9, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blue Moonlight posted:

Oh, much like Bitcoin, the value is all hypothetical because I’d never sell them, hah.

Speaking of, I think this has come up before, but is there any guides for valuing your collection for insurance and “selling once I am too dead to care” purposes? Probably another fun thing to add to the “adulting” checklist.

Well after they're retired I've never seen a Lego set(in good condition) that sells for less than its original MSRP so that's a good starting point. Most sets even rise in value.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RatHat posted:

Well after they're retired I've never seen a Lego set(in good condition) that sells for less than its original MSRP so that's a good starting point. Most sets even rise in value.

The adult aimed sets do. Normal kid sets tend to stay at the same value or drop quite a bit if used. They rarely escalate much if at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Lego store by my house has a MOC by one of the guys from the engineer team on Lego masters. I guess they live in my city.

Pretty neat build. Looks cool in the store, although I've been looking at mind blowing mocs for so long I'm just kind of like eh. Not that I'm saying it's not cool, but I feel like anyone with a lot of parts could pull that off. Tbh I thought those guys were probably the weakest team on either season of lego masters. Not trying to be a hater it's a neat ship regardless.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pirates of Barracuda Bay goes on the top shelf of a bookshelf.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Might be sacrilege, but I just left the Barracuda built as a whole ship and place it on a shelf.

Is it one for everyone to start posting their collections? It might be time, at least after Veni finishes the Star Destroyer.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

GlenMR posted:

Is it one for everyone to start posting their collections? It might be time, at least after Veni finishes the Star Destroyer.

I’ll start…stupid kitchen remodel.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

xzzy posted:

I keep instructions but kinda wish I didn't, I have two boxes of them and they're loving heavy. I hate paper.

But I'll never throw them out, it's a really effective record of everything I own and they're also pretty useful for building the sets themselves. In spite of their poor color reproduction.

I used to do this. Kept all my instructions in a big cardboard box. Then my cat got into it and started tearing things up. I eventually decided to just keep this archive digitally, with a nice spreadsheet of what sets I know I've owned and downloaded all the instructions digitally. Now I'm just dumping all the instructions and I no longer have to worry about how I store them. It's very liberating.

I found Lego's instructions archive to be very good, only had a couple of sets I couldn't find instructions for from the 1999-2003 era.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

veni veni veni posted:

The Lego store by my house has a MOC by one of the guys from the engineer team on Lego masters. I guess they live in my city.

Pretty neat build. Looks cool in the store, although I've been looking at mind blowing mocs for so long I'm just kind of like eh. Not that I'm saying it's not cool, but I feel like anyone with a lot of parts could pull that off. Tbh I thought those guys were probably the weakest team on either season of lego masters. Not trying to be a hater it's a neat ship regardless.

That's a neat build and better than anything they made during the show. (well, their hat idea was pretty cool)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

tomapot posted:

I’ll start…stupid kitchen remodel.

Make sure that poo poo is tight, cause the fine dust that sticks to your sets is a *pain* to get off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

I used to do this. Kept all my instructions in a big cardboard box. Then my cat got into it and started tearing things up.

Maybe I should do this to force my hand. :v:

Mine are sealed up in plastic boxes and the whole mess weighs 33 pounds. I say again: paper sucks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I save the UCS manuals or manuals that have supplementary material or for larger sets (creator expert) but for like average super heroes set, it’s going in the recycling. As it is I have a mostly full shelf in my office closet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Be mindful that a lot of the instructions on the lego site are low quality scans.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

obi_ant posted:

Make sure that poo poo is tight, cause the fine dust that sticks to your sets is a *pain* to get off.

Speaking of dust, what's the best way to go about cleaning display sets that, uhhh, haven't been dusted for a while? Compressed air? Toothbrush? Crying?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Big makeup brushes work great for getting into nooks and crannies.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

I have all my instructions from the last 30 years. Ordered by set number and put in binders. Why yes, i'm a psychopath.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Hello lego thread!

I grew up with some of the space, airport and pirate sets in the 90s. Being the youngest of 4 children, those old sets were all mixed together in a big box with marbles and action figures and the instructions were long since discarded when I got to play with them, but Lego is very nostalgic for me, especially the 90s era sets. I built all kinds of pirateship/aeroplane/spaceship mashups back in the day.

Recently I discovered the Ideas range and got back into lego for the first time in decades. It started with the Central Perk Friends set I bought on a whim because it seemed so bizarely specific and nostalgic. I had a blast putting it together and ended up getting the ideas treehouse (which is loving huge and lovely) and I dipped into the botanical range too with the bonsai tree and bird of Paradise sets. I realised I was maybe developing a problem when I splurged on the ideas grand piano (that key mechanism though).

So I decided that I should focus less on the expensive new sets (or at least wait until they put out something new I absolutel love) and look into older sets or even build something for myself. I went on ebay and stumbled upon the long retired 'Paradisa' range from the early 90s. Its a girl marketed range, which I would have never touched as a kid but I'm gay as gently caress now so I'm here for it. Half the sets are horsey stuff I don't care for but the rest of the range is exactly the kind of 90s beach and concrete mix with pink accents that just screams Vapourwave to me I loving love it it rules. I ended up buying a few sets on ebay but nowhere near 'lego piano' levels of expense so far. A couple have been pretty beat up and required cleaning but the sets I have are like 99% complete and some even have the original instructions! I'm planning on combining as many of these sets as I can get into one shelf filling 90s beach paradise as a long term project.

If anyone's interested I'll post pictures. I'm not exactly a lego building expert though so I'm hoping the resources in this thread will help a lot. I should probably check out bricklink huh?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

esperantinc posted:

Speaking of dust, what's the best way to go about cleaning display sets that, uhhh, haven't been dusted for a while? Compressed air? Toothbrush? Crying?
A plug in air blower will take the first bit of dust off (and it's fun as hell), but anything settled can be done with just regular soft paint brushes.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I use a very soft toothbrush (anything stronger might scratch pieces) and find it to work well.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mr Phillby posted:

'Paradisa' range from the early 90s.

I always loved the colorway for that, such great pinks. I'm obsessed with the Friends colors now.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Incidentally if you’ve ever wanted to try a light kit lightmybricks is 20% off right now and they have a US warehouse finally

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Apparently horsehair brushes are better than plastic bristled. Less likely to scratch?

For any missing instructions i just google set ####+instructions and pick the largest/best quality scans. I don’t think it’s ever the same site twice and almost never lego.com

Mr Phillby posted:

Hello lego thread!

I grew up with some of the space, airport and pirate sets in the 90s. Being the youngest of 4 children, those old sets were all mixed together in a big box with marbles and action figures and the instructions were long since discarded when I got to play with them, but Lego is very nostalgic for me, especially the 90s era sets. I built all kinds of pirateship/aeroplane/spaceship mashups back in the day.

Recently I discovered the Ideas range and got back into lego for the first time in decades. It started with the Central Perk Friends set I bought on a whim because it seemed so bizarely specific and nostalgic. I had a blast putting it together and ended up getting the ideas treehouse (which is loving huge and lovely) and I dipped into the botanical range too with the bonsai tree and bird of Paradise sets. I realised I was maybe developing a problem when I splurged on the ideas grand piano (that key mechanism though).

So I decided that I should focus less on the expensive new sets (or at least wait until they put out something new I absolutel love) and look into older sets or even build something for myself. I went on ebay and stumbled upon the long retired 'Paradisa' range from the early 90s. Its a girl marketed range, which I would have never touched as a kid but I'm gay as gently caress now so I'm here for it. Half the sets are horsey stuff I don't care for but the rest of the range is exactly the kind of 90s beach and concrete mix with pink accents that just screams Vapourwave to me I loving love it it rules. I ended up buying a few sets on ebay but nowhere near 'lego piano' levels of expense so far. A couple have been pretty beat up and required cleaning but the sets I have are like 99% complete and some even have the original instructions! I'm planning on combining as many of these sets as I can get into one shelf filling 90s beach paradise as a long term project.

If anyone's interested I'll post pictures. I'm not exactly a lego building expert though so I'm hoping the resources in this thread will help a lot. I should probably check out bricklink huh?

Hell yeah dude. Paradisa is a particularly cool theme, very chill vibes and a lot of “new” colours for the time. Great palette and it’s a shame they haven’t retro’d it. A cool modular would be like one of the boulevard hotels in Miami, I’m thinking of whatever street that is in Scarface that has (or had) a bunch from the same time period and building style in a row. The Diner comes closest with its streamline moderne accents but it could stand to go full on neon/pastel to really evoke that vibe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Y'all might be getting a little obsessive if you're weighing which brush scratches bricks the least.

You could wipe your sets down with a dish towel for ten years and not see any wear. If you're leaving stuff on display that long the color fade will be a much greater concern.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If your sets aren't in hermetically sealed, climate controlled, UV protected display cases, I don't even know what to say.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Hell yeah dude. Paradisa is a particularly cool theme, very chill vibes and a lot of “new” colours for the time. Great palette and it’s a shame they haven’t retro’d it. A cool modular would be like one of the boulevard hotels in Miami, I’m thinking of whatever street that is in Scarface that has (or had) a bunch from the same time period and building style in a row. The Diner comes closest with its streamline moderne accents but it could stand to go full on neon/pastel to really evoke that vibe.
The diner is soooo close to fitting with the look I'm going for! The top of the building looks too modern though, I wonder how much work it would be to swap that out with something boxier and white.

I'm going to see what I can cobble together from the sets I have already before I go mad and start buying new modulars though lol. I've been looking at my central perk with the tv studio rigging and thinking about how a beachside soundstage would look...

I have already ordered a small quantity of 'light pink' 2x2 bricks so I can compare the colour, i'm going to need a lot of pink and white for this project.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

I always loved the colorway for that, such great pinks. I'm obsessed with the Friends colors now.

As an update to that Craigslist lot I got, turns out in addition to all those Friends sets, some of the unfamiliar stuff was an Elves series I never heard of? Also quite colorful.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

xzzy posted:

Y'all might be getting a little obsessive if you're weighing which brush scratches bricks the least.

You could wipe your sets down with a dish towel for ten years and not see any wear. If you're leaving stuff on display that long the color fade will be a much greater concern.
I disagree, but to each their own. I like brushes because they get in the little nooks and crannies better than other things, but I don't wanna gently caress up my bricks. So I use a horse hair brush. It's not a huge deal.

edit: I already know I'm in too deep, but not for this particular reason IMO!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

i think the swiffer dusting cloths plus some compressed air work well on my legos and warhammer minis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Mr Phillby posted:

Hello lego thread!
Hiya.

Always nice to see new posters in the thread. :)

Have you looked into the Friends line? (not to be confused with the set from the TV show of the same name.)
https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/friends
Its the current "girls line." There's beach scenes, fancy hotels, ice cream shops... Lots of fun colors too. I'm not nuts about the minidolls, but to each their own.