Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

tithin posted:

+1 for 12 miles below, was very enjoyable.

I don't have an RR account and I'm a bit disappointed they don't have an RSS feed for individual stories.

To have RSS feeds. I use them for a few stories I follow. Works fine so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

tithin posted:

+1 for 12 miles below, was very enjoyable.

I don't have an RR account and I'm a bit disappointed they don't have an RSS feed for individual stories.

Royal Road has the RSS button for individual stories at the bottom of any given chapter, instead of the main page of the story itself, for some reason.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I have unfollowed Delve for the cardinal sin of being real boring

edit: I'm enjoying Outcast well enough, but I can't say I'm a fan of starting the story with crisis after crisis after crisis and not giving the protagonist a chance to breathe. Maybe that's just me though

Cicero fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 9, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Did Delve ever explain why he was using .odt?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cicero posted:

edit: I'm enjoying Outcast well enough, but I can't say I'm a fan of starting the story with crisis after crisis after crisis and not giving the protagonist a chance to breathe. Maybe that's just me though

It's kind of the point of it I think.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Narmi posted:

To have RSS feeds. I use them for a few stories I follow. Works fine so far.

Mygna posted:

Royal Road has the RSS button for individual stories at the bottom of any given chapter, instead of the main page of the story itself, for some reason.

Dead set legends thank you.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
RR has had multiple weird UX decisions for at least their mobile site, though most have been fixed semi-recently. Like covers: they were prominent everywhere except the actual main page for the story, where they were practically non-existent. There was also the Dark theme toggle, which I couldn't find in the site-wide settings until recently and had to open a chapter and change in the settings there. I'm willing to guess that was mostly an issue with me missing it than it not being there at all, but it was still awkward when I had to go through that process whenever it asked me to login again.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Did Delve ever explain why he was using .odt?

Because he's a dork.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I like slow serials, but Delve is so slow that you can go multiple chapters and literally nothing happens. It is weird.

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Peachfart posted:

I like slow serials, but Delve is so slow that you can go multiple chapters and literally nothing happens. It is weird.

Could I interest any of you in savage divinity?

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Mulozon Empuri posted:

It's slow and nothing happens for 5 years.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thank you to whoever recommended Data Dragon Danika. It was a really enjoyable, heartwarming read.

Mulozon Empuri posted:

No, I'm not interested in the harem story where the MC starts out as a slave working/tortured in a mine.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Cicero posted:

I appreciate that Outcast is mixing up what kind of crisis, at least. All sorts of different angles the protagonist has to deal with. I am midway through chapter 46, and it looks like things are going in a straight up Disco Elysium direction.

I am extremely hyped to see how this little twist on the usual gamelit tropes will evolve going forward. I'm also kinda hyped that we've got a main character who takes a reasonably nuanced view of the situation before settling on "don't be a dick" and sticking to it.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Same. Cool setting, a nice bit of Blame!.

From the synopsis, it sounds very similar to Nihei's current series Aposimz, which is set on an icy planetoid with a machine core full of robots and battling post-humans.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LLSix posted:

Thank you to whoever recommended Data Dragon Danika. It was a really enjoyable, heartwarming read.

No, I'm not interested in the harem story where the MC starts out as a slave working/tortured in a mine.

believe it or not that's the best part of the story lol. it sets up a lot of cool ideas and then just drops them at random

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Data dragon danika appears to be a story in which someone plays a basically conflictless mmorpg. I’m reading about fetch quests her character is doing. Is there….more to this?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

awesmoe posted:

Data dragon danika appears to be a story in which someone plays a basically conflictless mmorpg. I’m reading about fetch quests her character is doing. Is there….more to this?

No, that's the good part. I think the clever ways she finds to solve problems without fighting are pretty neat.

There's a romance arc that spans most of the volumes.

Once she gets out of the tutorial area, she starts interacting with other players. They are much more often a source of conflict than NPCs. The MC generally tries to resolve things without killing anyone, and the NPCs are much more obliging about that than the PCs.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 10, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

awesmoe posted:

It's a slice of life thats all about her personal relations.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

awesmoe posted:

Not really? it's more of a romance and work out our feelings/relationships thing that has a litrpg setting. So, basically the complete opposite of the typical conflict-ridden sociopath starring garbage that comes to mind when I think of a litrpg.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Cicero posted:

I consider forward narrative momentum to be an core tenet of Outcast's tone. This isn't going to jive with everyone, and that's totally understandable. It's the kind of tone I like, so it's what I feel comfortable writing, but people do sometimes comment that they'd like things to slow down a bit, and I take that into consideration.

And in a meta sense, I don't want to get bogged down in endless chapters. There's an ending I want to get to, and it would be all too easy to delay it with filler. I do try to give the characters periods of quiet contemplation, but if I don't have anything meaningful left to say, I prefer to move the story along than have them spin their wheels. There are exceptions, of course. Chapter 30 was a blast to write.

(And you'd be surprised how many complaints I get whenever there's more than one chapter in a row without an overt conflict to spice things up. Striking a balance to please the different preferences of the people that read the story is a fine line to walk.)

avoraciopoctules posted:

I'm also kinda hyped that we've got a main character who takes a reasonably nuanced view of the situation before settling on "don't be a dick" and sticking to it.

People have responded very well to Rob overall, which comes across as a bit of a relief. It's always a crapshoot whenever you make a LitRPG protagonist who isn't a bland sociopath obsessed with numbers. Maybe that's a bit harsh to the genre overall, but, well, you know. I've tried to make sure Rob comes off as an actual person, and so far I think I'm succeeded.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

LLSix posted:

No, that's the good part. I think the clever ways she finds to solve problems without fighting are pretty neat.

There's a romance arc that spans most of the volumes.

Once she gets out of the tutorial area, she starts interacting with other players. They are much more often a source of conflict than NPCs. The MC generally tries to resolve things without killing anyone, and the NPCs are much more obliging about that than the PCs.

Fair enough. I think the stakes are too low for me - I keep thinking “I could just close this browser and play a game myself and it would be more interesting”. I prefer my slices of life like forge of destiny or even cinnamon bun (although that got a bit one-note). Different strokes, I think.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

KamikazePotato posted:

I consider forward narrative momentum to be an core tenet of Outcast's tone. This isn't going to jive with everyone, and that's totally understandable. It's the kind of tone I like, so it's what I feel comfortable writing, but people do sometimes comment that they'd like things to slow down a bit, and I take that into consideration.

And in a meta sense, I don't want to get bogged down in endless chapters. There's an ending I want to get to, and it would be all too easy to delay it with filler. I do try to give the characters periods of quiet contemplation, but if I don't have anything meaningful left to say, I prefer to move the story along than have them spin their wheels. There are exceptions, of course. Chapter 30 was a blast to write.

(And you'd be surprised how many complaints I get whenever there's more than one chapter in a row without an overt conflict to spice things up. Striking a balance to please the different preferences of the people that read the story is a fine line to walk.)
I think that's good overall, and I get that going the other direction like Delve does is not great. I just wish the calamitous events providing narrative momentum were more than, like, a week apart. Not saying this is outright bad or anything, I'm still enjoying the story a lot, but a breather in the plot would be nice too.

Also, just finished chapter 30, it was indeed pretty great, and also gave me an idea for a board game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

awesmoe posted:

Fair enough. I think the stakes are too low for me - I keep thinking “I could just close this browser and play a game myself and it would be more interesting”. I prefer my slices of life like forge of destiny or even cinnamon bun (although that got a bit one-note). Different strokes, I think.

Forge of Destiny kinda fits into a third category where it doesn't have some clear overarching plot, but it has more direction than most things considered "slice of life." Particularly in the later content, where the author moves more in the direction of mini-arcs and away from detailing all of the protagonist's training and short social events.

I would consider it to be closer to a "normal" narrative than a slice of life one.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

Forge of Destiny kinda fits into a third category where it doesn't have some clear overarching plot, but it has more direction than most things considered "slice of life." Particularly in the later content, where the author moves more in the direction of mini-arcs and away from detailing all of the protagonist's training and short social events.

I would consider it to be closer to a "normal" narrative than a slice of life one.

yeah, you're right, it's not really slice of life - i think that what I like is character-focused stories (where things happen). outcast in another world is another good example.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Question for the thread: I’m preparing a web serial and I’m writing it now getting a bunch of chapters ready ahead so I can have some time to write then edit ✍️ :bravo2:
So my question is, most of my chapters are close to 1,000-1,500 words closer to 1k usually
Spacing it out should I release them 1,2, or 3 chapters a week? Or just pick an amount and stick to it.
I’m trying to write 7 chapters a week right now to get the world down pat and yeah just wanted to see it from a reader’s perspective.

Related:
I’ve been reading beware of chicken on royal road and it’s been pretty inspiring.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

White Chocolate posted:

Question for the thread: I’m preparing a web serial and I’m writing it now getting a bunch of chapters ready ahead so I can have some time to write then edit ✍️ :bravo2:
So my question is, most of my chapters are close to 1,000-1,500 words closer to 1k usually
Spacing it out should I release them 1,2, or 3 chapters a week? Or just pick an amount and stick to it.
I’m trying to write 7 chapters a week right now to get the world down pat and yeah just wanted to see it from a reader’s perspective.

Related:
I’ve been reading beware of chicken on royal road and it’s been pretty inspiring.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Nope. It's about how their Trending system works. It goes something like this - in the first x amount of time of posting a story on RRL, it's difficult if not impossible to get that story on the Trending list (which operates, if my tired brain can recall it correctly, on ratings and reviews over time.) Therefore, to get on the that list, you need to post your first chapter and then not post anything else until that amount of time has passed (a month, I think?) Once it has, start posting as frequently as possible. Because you'll go from few if any ratings and reviews to a lot more, you'll shoot right up the Trending list and get more eyes on which means more ratings and reviews which means you stay up there which means...

Case in point, I know of a few 'Western' serial writers who are exploiting this as we speak. One of them has posted three stories on RRL in the past, so, I've got some stats:

The first got about 30 followers in three years.
The second got about 50 followers in one year.
Their most recent one, which has done the month-wait thing, has hit 1500 in under three months.

Basically, you don't want anyone to rate or review your story in that first month. And when people on RRL say you should have a 'launch period' where you post your chapters once or multiple times a day, they're trying to kneecap you.

I hoard more RRL secrets, but they're harder to prove.

Milkfred E. Moore and a few others have posted several other tips and tricks for RRL in this thread and elsewhere.

To that I'll add that you really want to be posting on as many other fiction sites as you can find. I don't know what those other sites are, so hopefully a kindly goon will speak up and fill us both in. From time to time I'll see author's reference cross-posting from "the other site" or something like that.

A lot of the stories I see make it to trending or RRL's top lists do it by building up a backlog and posting once a day for at least a month, starting after RR's stupid wait period. There are a few exceptions to this, like Mother of Learning, but they seem to be getting rarer, and even so are rarely as successful in terms of viewers or patrons as stories that update more frequently.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 10, 2021

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

LLSix posted:

To that I'll add that you really want to be posting on as many other fiction sites as you can find. I don't know what those other sites are, so hopefully a kindly goon will speak up and fill us both in. From time to time I'll see author's reference cross-posting from "the other site" or something like that.

Crossposting sites are generally Sufficient Velocity and Spacebattles (forums with really big fiction sections) or Archive of our Own aka AO3 which is another fiction hosting site

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's also Scribble Hub.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

Milkfred E. Moore and a few others have posted several other tips and tricks for RRL in this thread and elsewhere.

A lot of the stories I see make it to trending or RRL's top lists do it by building up a backlog and posting once a day for at least a month, starting after RR's stupid wait period. There are a few exceptions to this, like Mother of Learning, but they seem to be getting rarer, and even so are rarely as successful in terms of viewers or patrons as stories that update more frequently.

This is interesting, because it's close to the exact opposite of what I did to find success. It's definitely possible to hit Trending before a month has passed, although I also asked people on other websites to support my RR version when I put that up (I started posting on Spacebattles and the Humanity gently caress Yeah subreddit first).

One thing about the current Trending system that's worth noting is that a series usually gets a big bump in their rankings on the Trending list at the 21 day mark. This isn't something that happens because of natural trends; it's mandated by the site itself. If you're already on Trending at that time, it shoots you up the list.

Also throwing the HFY subreddit into the mix of recommendations, assuming your story fits. Reddit doesn't have many active writing subreddits, but you can find success on HFY if you happen to break out there.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The trending/rising stars algorithm has changed a few times since that post was written to fix the thing where you wanted to post a single chapter and then wait a month, and now I've seen stories hit it after a week.

Before you hit trending the main way you get exposure on RR other than shoutouts and such is the recently updated list. Gaming that obviously consists of just posting a bunch of chapters spaced out enough to get you back on it each time you're pushed out.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
One thing you don't want to do is see a particularly good review and ask a bunch of your mates to make accounts and upvote it.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/43887/long-fang-cultivator-vs-system/chapter/730588/chapter-27-treasure-hunting-101

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
^^^ As with all these things, the only mistake that guy made was being dumb enough to get caught.

If you have a pre-existing fanbase then, yeah, you can probably disregard weighting the dice, so to speak. I've also heard that RRL has changed up how their system works (it's based on likes now, apparently?) so I'm not sure how much that advice still applies, but as of a few months ago people were saying that the best thing to do was to upload one chapter, wait a month, delete that chapter, rename your story, upload the first real chapter, and go from there, so, I'm guessing it still holds. edit: Or maybe not!

As for posting on other sites, that depends on your goals. If you're at all thinking of seeking traditional publication, then you need to be careful about the sites you put your work on. I've been informed by a publisher, for example, that anything put on Wattpad is basically verboten. I've not had any blanket negatives to my manuscript based on it being a Wordpress first draft, but I've also basically rewritten the entire thing over the past year. Into the Mire hasn't had any issue there either, as far as I'm aware. However, if you don't have the brainworms that make you want to seek traditional publication, then there's probably no harm putting it everywhere, although there's the time investment of updating every site.

You also need to be careful because a lot of sites that host web novels or web serials are run by shady groups in countries with little respect for IP law and will happily monetize your story and give you pennies in exchange. If you don't sign any contract and they're aware of your story, they might just take it anyway. The old WFG Discord used to have a handy list of a lot of these more dubious websites. Personally, I'm not sure there's any benefit to not just posting on RRL and putting all your energy there (with the added bonus that the various publishers I've spoken to have no idea it exists) simply because that's where the audience is and I don't think sites like AO3 are separate enough to bring that many new eyes to any given work.

The general advice that comes from the 'Western web serial' crowd (Wildbow, basically) is pretty irrelevant to the serial ecosystem of today. If you want to hit the ground running, look at that stories like Defiance of the Fall and He Who Fights With Monsters did which was, from memory, 2000 word-ish chapters a day at five days a week with a Patreon advantage of, like, fifty chapters ahead for the highest tiers. I think that those two are still the leaders for Patreon earnings and how quickly they hit those earnings. I'd go so far to say that if your goal isn't to try and imitate their success, then there's not much point to writing a web serial.

What else...

Oh, TopWebFiction and WebFictionGuide are basically dead, which is another point towards sticking to RR. WFG had been decaying for years and the owner basically resented any attempt to modernize it (I cannot remember the name of the SA Goon who was working on this) and the old guard were extremely weird as a consequence. The owner also made TopWebFiction invite-only for some reason and you can only get an invite from someone who is already listed there (but, from memory, has also had their account activated to do so, which required manual stuff from the absentee owner, I think?) There used to be a solid WebFictionGuide discord server, but that imploded due to gross admin drama, and while much of the community has coalesced elsewhere it is, honestly, not nearly as energised as it was and has lost a lot of direction due to it becoming more of a writing Discord than a web serial Discord. Also, the fact that I don't think anyone on it is actually writing serials anymore. Regardless, both sites were being swamped under RR submissions prior to this, so, it's not really its own niche anymore, either.

There was a funny thing with TWF where something in the back-end broke and voting was impossible for over a week but some web serials were still getting votes. Another funny thing when they instituted captchas to eliminate bots and virtually every weekly total dropped by half, if not more than that. Like I said, old guard. If you ever wondered why NAH was shuffled under 'fantasy' and not 'sci-fi' then it probably doesn't surprise you to find out it was related to that.

Oh yeah, if you're on RRL and you get some negative ratings, consider lodging a staff ticket. There're basically active groups of people who watch the Top Rated list and drop one-star ratings on stories as they climb up. Around the time NAH was closing in on the Top 100, it got hit by a bunch of one-star ratings that knocked it something like 2000 spots downward. So, whenever you get a bunch of negative ratings, ask the RRL staff to look into it and they might just clean them out.

I've heard there's a growing movement of people putting serial fiction on Substack, but I don't think it's panning out well based on the few I'm aware of.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 11, 2021

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Thank you all this has been very helpful. Well let me just try to get fifty chapters ahead cuz drat.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

KamikazePotato posted:

This is interesting, because it's close to the exact opposite of what I did to find success. It's definitely possible to hit Trending before a month has passed, although I also asked people on other websites to support my RR version when I put that up (I started posting on Spacebattles and the Humanity gently caress Yeah subreddit first).

One thing about the current Trending system that's worth noting is that a series usually gets a big bump in their rankings on the Trending list at the 21 day mark. This isn't something that happens because of natural trends; it's mandated by the site itself. If you're already on Trending at that time, it shoots you up the list.

Also throwing the HFY subreddit into the mix of recommendations, assuming your story fits. Reddit doesn't have many active writing subreddits, but you can find success on HFY if you happen to break out there.

BTW, I've been reading your story and I love it so far. The emotional tone is very similar to He Who Fights With Monsters, but in a good way and not the terrible mess that story has been since the first 20 or so chapters. In both stories there are a lot of pain, and loss. But your story not only feels more real, it doesn't do the weird hero worship that HWFWM indulges in. Also it is way more funny.
This rambling all boils down to: I really like your work and I hope you keep it up.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Peachfart posted:

This rambling all boils down to: I really like your work and I hope you keep it up.

Agreed, confirmed good story.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Peachfart posted:

BTW, I've been reading your story and I love it so far. The emotional tone is very similar to He Who Fights With Monsters, but in a good way and not the terrible mess that story has been since the first 20 or so chapters. In both stories there are a lot of pain, and loss. But your story not only feels more real, it doesn't do the weird hero worship that HWFWM indulges in. Also it is way more funny.

Cinara posted:

Agreed, confirmed good story.

Thanks guys! Reading words of encouragement always mean a lot.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Looks like The Many Lives of Cadence Lee is updating again, been a while!

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I saw author's note for the latest Cadence Lee chapter. The author has been through a really rough time (to put it very mildly). I'm glad he's getting his life back together, and I hope they can pull through (taking care of an elderly person is not easy) but I wouldn't count on the story updating very often.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 11, 2021

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Consider this another +1 for 12 Miles Below, it's been some really good poo poo so far. Good spread of worldbuilding and combat, and the author can REALLY write a good and snappy fight scene, unlike a lot of other serials I could name *coughtowerofsomnuscough*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

This Used To Be About Dungeons, I'm conflicted on how sus the protagonist is. It may be that he's just hiding info because he's a big time planner but doesn't want to come on too strong with how much he's planned and scare away party members. Or, there may be something he's hiding fo realz, though probably nothing too dark, given the description of the serial overall. Like, he's secretly an exiled noble's son, or something like that.