Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ruddiger posted:

I knew it was going to be bullshit after they left out the singing and I never even read the drat book.

The first Hobbit movie has a poo poo load of singing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerraCat
Jul 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Vince MechMahon posted:

Here is my half hearted defense of the Hobbit: the first one is mostly okay.

I'm always down for a good Sylvester McCoy performance.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
There's a fan edit of the 3 movies edited together to only include what was in the actual book The Hobbit. While I really liked all the stuff they new stuff filmed with Gandalf, Galadriel, and Elrond, the fan edit works very well.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
If they were going to diverge from the books they should've diverged even more and started with the scene in the first one when they tried to drown the dragon in gold but actually just gilded it. In the next scene you the dragon flies away and the gold just falls off, but what should've happened is that the gold stayed on and now the dragon is covered in gold armor and is invincible to all their weapons. And then the next two movies in the trilogy are about the townspeople, the dwarves, and the hobbit all working together to come up with schemes to kill a gold armored dragon.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was astounded by how much worse every new entry was. There’s a point in the middle one where you think the movie is going to end, and then it goes on for another half hour or more.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I watched a fan edit of all 3 together. It made an incredibly painful viewing experience into a merely forgettable one.

There are a lot of good bits in those films (mostly the first one, mostly Martin Freeman) but their core is just rotten. The filmmakers took the wrong approach from the get-go. It's hard to blame them after watching Lindsey Ellis' video on The Battle of Five Studios, but no edit could save those wrongheaded flicks.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Legolas jumping up the falling stones had me laughing so hard. Loved that bit

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don’t even care enough about The Hobbit movies to watch a bunch of videos about why it was destined to suck; can somebody summarize? Why did del Toro end up abandoning it?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

feedmyleg posted:

I watched a fan edit of all 3 together. It made an incredibly painful viewing experience into a merely forgettable one.

There are a lot of good bits in those films (mostly the first one, mostly Martin Freeman) but their core is just rotten. The filmmakers took the wrong approach from the get-go. It's hard to blame them after watching Lindsey Ellis' video on The Battle of Five Studios, but no edit could save those wrongheaded flicks.

If it's the bilbo edition, yeah that's a decent edit. It's still a 4 hour cut and there are some things I wish they'd kept, but it's a good version.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The studio decided to make two movies into three while they were filming it, for one. Jackson had to improvise the ending to the second one so they could make a third, like a month before the debut. He was working on the ending hours before the premier. He also had to have the actors do some random poo poo in front of green screen because he had no idea what they were going to do in the film, and didn't have time to write it.

Bonus points for forcing him to go 3D, which meant a ton more green screen. Can't have hobbits and Sir Ian together with forced perspective tricks, 3D would show the difference in distance. That's what lead to that video of him breaking down and nearly quitting acting.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

david_a posted:

I don’t even care enough about The Hobbit movies to watch a bunch of videos about why it was destined to suck; can somebody summarize? Why did del Toro end up abandoning it?

New Line was a cool studio that cared about the quality of its films and gave Jackson a long leash. There were five studios involved with The Hobbit who all had their own increasingly ridiculous demands, like not letting him flesh out the dwarves with the extra screentime.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Del Toro has as various points mentioned that he doesn’t really like high fantasy at all. Which begs the question of why he was ever attached in the first place outside of money.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Casimir Radon posted:

Del Toro has as various points mentioned that he doesn’t really like high fantasy at all. Which begs the question of why he was ever attached in the first place outside of money.

The Hobbit (the book) isn't really high fantasy. It's about short hairy guys walking through the woods and encountering hosed up monsters. Then they get to a weird lovely little town and go into what was a great Dwarven underground city but is now abandoned and crumbling and has a giant monster sitting on a pile of treasure at the middle.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Because it would be the ticket to getting to make whatever you want for the rest of your life without anyone asking twice and not ever having to do “one for them” ever again.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The market scene in Hellboy 2 was enough to convince me that GDT could do a good job with the Hobbit. The closest another movie has ever gotten to making me feel how I felt when I first saw the cantina scene in Star Wars when I was 5

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RichterIX posted:

The market scene in Hellboy 2 was enough to convince me that GDT could do a good job with the Hobbit. The closest another movie has ever gotten to making me feel how I felt when I first saw the cantina scene in Star Wars when I was 5

:hmmyes:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Why sit through nine hours of movie when this is not just better that than in every way but tells you the everything you need to know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC35cQKHwzg

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

RichterIX posted:

Hellboy 2 is just the most beautiful movie.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Is that a hard to find 4k?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Nope it's about 20 bucks on Amazon right now. Well worth it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Oh neat, ordered. I remember seeing that in theaters and thinking the colors were amazing. Tried looking for it a month ago though and didn't see anything readily available.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Basebf555 posted:

That's like my one saving grace with physical media, I don't really go in for the big fancy collector's editions. I don't care about having the soundtrack or a poster or lobby cards or whatever, and I prefer not to have oversized cases that take up a bunch of room on the shelf.

Last night I happened to discover that David Lynch's Dune was getting a 4k release, complete with postcards and posters and art books, the whole nine yards. Apparently this was announced months ago and is already sold out everywhere besides one site that got more allocation 4 days ago. This is probably my favorite movie of all time, so yeah sure $57 for a single UHD, gonna splurge and get the deluxe edition.

Realized that I lucked out this time but have no way of keeping track of when new releases are announced, so I've now bookmarked this thread and followed a couple Twitter accounts. Read through about 1200 older posts and I guess I'll also be picking up The Shining and The Thing on UHD. Got a 4k tv and UHD player like two months ago, and I already have a UHD backlog lol

:homebrew:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That Market scene in Hellboy 2 convinced me that GDT would do Star Wars 7 when Disney bought the franchise. What could have been...

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Sirotan posted:

Last night I happened to discover that David Lynch's Dune was getting a 4k release, complete with postcards and posters and art books, the whole nine yards. Apparently this was announced months ago and is already sold out everywhere besides one site that got more allocation 4 days ago. This is probably my favorite movie of all time, so yeah sure $57 for a single UHD, gonna splurge and get the deluxe edition.

Realized that I lucked out this time but have no way of keeping track of when new releases are announced, so I've now bookmarked this thread and followed a couple Twitter accounts. Read through about 1200 older posts and I guess I'll also be picking up The Shining and The Thing on UHD. Got a 4k tv and UHD player like two months ago, and I already have a UHD backlog lol

:homebrew:

Wait… which edition of Dune 4K? Best Buy and DiabolikDVD both have pre-orders available for the limited edition UHD.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Superman: The Animated Series has finally had a blu-ray series and restoration announced.

Coming out October 12th.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Wait… which edition of Dune 4K? Best Buy and DiabolikDVD both have pre-orders available for the limited edition UHD.

Probably this: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dune-4K-Blu-ray/291935/

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ozmunkeh posted:

Hellboy 2 is just the most beautiful movie.

It really is, it stings that it flopped so badly because it's great and deserved better.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yes. Was able to pick it up here: https://grindhousevideo.com/products/dune-deluxe-limited-edition-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-steelbook-pre-order?_pos=1&_sid=97897776f&_ss=r but I guess it is already fully allocated elsewhere. I honestly have no clue how limited these Arrow releases are and whether they are a one-off run or not.

Unfortunately Arrow already announced that one of the more interesting special features, the feature-length documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures, won't be done in time for the release and they aren't pushing things back to accommodate for that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

Yes. Was able to pick it up here: https://grindhousevideo.com/products/dune-deluxe-limited-edition-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-steelbook-pre-order?_pos=1&_sid=97897776f&_ss=r but I guess it is already fully allocated elsewhere. I honestly have no clue how limited these Arrow releases are and whether they are a one-off run or not.

Unfortunately Arrow already announced that one of the more interesting special features, the feature-length documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures, won't be done in time for the release and they aren't pushing things back to accommodate for that.

The big box collector editions are limited edition, but they seem to become standard UHDs after 6-8 months.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Franchescanado posted:

The big box collector editions are limited edition, but they seem to become standard UHDs after 6-8 months.

That’s what I’m hoping for; I think Dune 1984 is a very interesting failure but the current prices are bit too steep for me.

However, that plan has, to date, failed me horribly for Lawrence :smith:

Edit: $269!!!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There but for the grace of god go I.

I came very close to passing on that Columbia set, I think the only reason I actually pulled the trigger was I wanted something to cheer me up during the early days of the pandemic. It blows my mind that such an important film as Lawrence of Arabia gets a somewhat obscure release in this expensive set and then not a peep about a standalone release for over a year.

And goddamn I just checked and the set is going for like $700 now.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Wow didn't know it got that rare

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've watched my copy of Lawrence like three times already(yes I'm deranged) so I'm actually tempted to sell this thing. $700 is not an insignificant chunk of change.

I won't though because, you know, it's Lawrence.

JUST ANNOUNCED: CRITERION'S FIRST UHD WILL BE: Citizen Kane

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 11, 2021

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

JUST ANNOUNCED: CRITERION'S FIRST UHD WILL BE: Citizen Kane
They just announced five others, too:
MENACE II SOCIETY, THE PIANO, MULHOLLAND DR., THE RED SHOES, and A HARD DAY'S NIGHT

son of a bitch, I just bought their Mulholland Dr. bluray last fall...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Double dipping on Mulholland Dr.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Kane and Hard Day's Night are gonna be on my shelf.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad I listened to Egbert and held off on buying Mulholland Drive this sale. He predicted Mulholland Drive way ahead of the curve. Good on 'em.

I already have A Hard Day's Night on blu, and it's a great set. If they're reproducing that same set but with 4k, I highly recommend it, but I'm also not gonna double dip on it.

I'll probably grab all those. Have they said a price point for the new format?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Franchescanado posted:

I'm glad I listened to Egbert and held off on buying Mulholland Drive this sale. He predicted Mulholland Drive way ahead of the curve. Good on 'em.

I already have A Hard Day's Night on blu, and it's a great set. If they're reproducing that same set but with 4k, I highly recommend it, but I'm also not gonna double dip on it.

Gotta be high enough to keep the lights on at Barnes and Noble twice a year

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

Gotta be high enough to keep the lights on at Barnes and Noble twice a year

Amazon has kept the sale price on a majority of their Criterion titles, and I can't help but think it's a new attempt to swallow B&N once and for all.

It's an evil company, but grabbing Criterions for $19 is kinda hard to ignore...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah I like hard Day's night but I'm gonna be a bit more selective about upgrading to uhd than I was with upgrading to blu-ray, so I'm also gonna skip a double dip on it.