Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You know despite not having wrestled a match the United Centre sell out and the All out Buy rate are going to do wonders for CM Punks Observer Hall chances this year right? I still had him at borderline before Rampage tickets went on sale but now he's got to be a serious candidate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Plus Savage was still feuding with Flair... Bret and Shawn were teasing a feud.

I wonder if things were already happening backstage for Vince to pivot away from Savage-Flair and to Savage/Warrior vs Flair/Perfect after this. Putting Bret-Shawn on hold for Survivor Series makes more sense if the context was Vince & company knowing already by Summerslam they couldn't push forward with extending the Savage-Flair feud.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

anakha posted:

I wonder if things were already happening backstage for Vince to pivot away from Savage-Flair and to Savage/Warrior vs Flair/Perfect after this. Putting Bret-Shawn on hold for Survivor Series makes more sense if the context was Vince & company knowing already by Summerslam they couldn't push forward with extending the Savage-Flair feud.

But Flair was the champion at the time, not Bret.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

anakha posted:

They were building Shawn to be the IC title feud for Bret. My guess is when they decided to run Wembley they went with Bulldog instead with the idea of him being a transitional champ to Michaels, who would then have to face Bret.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It's been forever since I read Bret's book but wasn't it his idea to drop the belt to Bulldog in Wembley?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Bulldog must have been so tired of HBK's poo poo by the time he peaced out of WWE

Loses Rumble to him
Loses IC title to him
Loses a WWE championship match to him
Loses Euro title to him...in front of his family.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Has any wrestler besides Mankind had two entirely diffrent songs for entrance and post-match victory music?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bulldog must have been so tired of HBK's poo poo by the time he peaced out of WWE
Loses Euro title to him...in front of his family.

God, if I recall Shawn lobbied for this like, the week of the show too.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Michaels also beat Bulldog for the tag titles. Twice if you count IYH 3.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
Shawn insisted on winning the IC title match that happened in front of Bulldog's cancer-stricken sister whom Davey dedicated the match to.

Edit: I couldn't recall which exact midcard title it was.
vvvvv

smikey fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 10, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Michaels also beat Bulldog for the tag titles. Twice if you count IYH 3.

Lord. I forgot about this.

smikey posted:

Shawn insisted on winning the IC title match that happened in front of Bulldog's cancer-stricken sister whom Davey dedicated the match to.

It was just the euro at this show I think https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWF_One_Night_Only

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 10, 2021

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Karl Ontario posted:

I feel like WWE understands YouTube.

Imagine if your job was click-farming WWE vids in like Bangladesh

Also Wasn't there a article or youtube of like Steph/HHH saying they have 60 data scientists working on online numbers or something like that or am I imagining it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Karl Ontario posted:

I feel like WWE understands YouTube.

You've convinced me, put the belt back on Jinder.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Summerslam 92 is the biggest show WWF have ever run in the UK, and even then it's still largely inconsequential outside of the main event. I don't think they've ever trusted American viewers to tune when it's not live, which has probably been proven multiple times over and fair enough because of the time difference. And since there are so many more potential viewers in the US, where they do most of their business even today as an "international phenomenon" or whatever, it kind of makes sense to hold off on doing any bigger blowoffs abroad, even in 1992 when the company was cruising full steam ahead into an all-time low period that was further tainted with awful PR.

At least Summerslam had the look of a big event and featured at least a handful of stars in newish matches. The subsequent UK PPVs were glorified house shows and were pretty much all dreadful.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ehhh, it was unusual for a PPV, but their shows were pretty much all pre-taped in 1992. Spoilers weren’t really much of a concern at that point.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
E: nm

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

unbelievable.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Is it fair to say CM Punk was the hottest indie act around at the time he signed for WWE?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Is it fair to say CM Punk was the hottest indie act around at the time he signed for WWE?

No, Samoa Joe was a bigger star.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

NikkolasKing posted:

Has any wrestler besides Mankind had two entirely diffrent songs for entrance and post-match victory music?
There's a really weird Raw match with Al Snow right after The Rock's turn back heel in '98 where he uses a brand new remix for his entrance and goes back to his usual song after he wins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s578pcO2RqE

That entrance is literally the only time he used that version of the song.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Someone tell me a good story about wrestlers being weirdos because of kayfabe or an interesting fact about back stage things.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Someone tell me a good story about wrestlers being weirdos because of kayfabe or an interesting fact about back stage things.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050308041405/http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.php?showtopic=19896&view=all

have at it

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
That thread has a lot of great avatar material (and a Bix sighting!)

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

CommonShore posted:

maybe not the most uplifting story but probably takes the cake about someone being a dipshit about kayfabe

at a chikara show masked wrestler lince dorado botched a shooting star senton and landed directly on his head and began to suffer a seizure immediately. promoter and noted fuckface weirdo mike quackenbush insisted that a towel be placed over his face after he was unmasked by emts working on him "to protect kayfabe." that may seem minor but time is of the essence in those scenarios and it is a completely bonkers request in the moment

only slightly less insane is a territory promoter (i think bill watts?) telling his boys if they ever got in a bar fight and lost they would be immediately fired. and in the older days heels and faces were not to be caught traveling together, ever. i think someone even kayfabed his kids over a "neck injury" and they thought he was going to die the next time he wrestled

wacky business this

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

And it was started by Tony Khan.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

i remember reading the sleaze thread as a txt file on the first visit to this subforum and being completely engrossed for like two hours

so many things that are bullshit. and many things that sound like bullshit but when you read the name you think "...plausible."

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Big Bidness posted:

And it was started by Tony Khan.
haha holy poo poo

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Nick Jr. Face posted:

haha holy poo poo

Yeah, he kinda awkwardly admitted to it during some interview. As far as I remember he brought it up on his own too, like he wanted the world to know that he's Legendary DVD Forums Poster Coach Tony K.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The time the Wild Samoans got pulled over with Hogan and refused to speak English to keep kayfabe, leading to them all being arrested is pretty good.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Nick Jr. Face posted:

That thread has a lot of great avatar material (and a Bix sighting!)
I'd like to apologize for anything lovely I said in that thread, by the way. Teenagers are very stupid.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yeah, he kinda awkwardly admitted to it during some interview. As far as I remember he brought it up on his own too, like he wanted the world to know that he's Legendary DVD Forums Poster Coach Tony K.
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1364724335555063809

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Critical posted:

i think someone even kayfabed his kids over a "neck injury" and they thought he was going to die the next time he wrestled

that would be grizzly smith

i looked that up to double check because i was like "sure he was a horrible person but you can't just attribute every horrible wrestling story to... oh, there it is"

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Critical posted:

and in the older days heels and faces were not to be caught traveling together, ever.

The one I've always heard about was Jim Duggan and The Iron Sheik being caught smoking a load of weed together whilst driving in the late '80s, and that supposedly the WWF were more annoyed about them breaking kayfabe than anything else. Someone would need to confirm whether this is all true or not, but the story I heard is that Sheik was let go (though he was way past his prime anyway, and he would resurface as Colonel Mustafa a few years later) and Duggan was shuffled down the card a bit (he was actually quite over at one point).

quote:

i think someone even kayfabed his kids over a "neck injury" and they thought he was going to die the next time he wrestled

I want to say that this was noted shithead Grizzly Smith and the kids were Jake Roberts, Sam Houston and Rockin' Robin. efb

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Years ago Dave told the story of a foreign star traveling to Japan with drugs, got caught, and Giant Baba managed to get him released and hush the whole thing up.

Who and when was this?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Idk but Matt Sydal got caught with fake weed in Japan and got banned.

Or was it real weed?

Edit: Before I google it, it was real weed he brought to Japan and he got fired from the WWE for having synthetic weed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Arbite posted:

Years ago Dave told the story of a foreign star traveling to Japan with drugs, got caught, and Giant Baba managed to get him released and hush the whole thing up.

Who and when was this?

Believe it was Dr Death Steve Williams. If it wasn't him then almost certainly Terry Gordy.

OK, it was Gordy in 1994 and he was actually banned from Japan for a year before Baba managed to pull strings.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 11, 2021

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Steve Williams got caught 3 times with drugs in airports coming to or from Japan

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Believe it was Dr Death Steve Williams. If it wasn't him then almost certainly Terry Gordy.

OK, it was Gordy in 1994 and he was actually banned from Japan for a year before Baba managed to pull strings.

it was actually both of them, dr death was in '95 and also banned for a year

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Critical posted:

i remember reading the sleaze thread as a txt file on the first visit to this subforum and being completely engrossed for like two hours

so many things that are bullshit. and many things that sound like bullshit but when you read the name you think "...plausible."

I haven't read this in years and years so it's funny I'm like six 'accounts' in and we're reaching levels of 'they were in the closet making babies and I saw one of the babies and the baby looked at me!'

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I always remember the one about someone who liked to lie under a glass table while a lady on top of the table took a dump. My vague memory suggests it was one of the Rock'n'Roll Express.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

forkboy84 posted:

I always remember the one about someone who liked to lie under a glass table while a lady on top of the table took a dump. My vague memory suggests it was one of the Rock'n'Roll Express.
That's only like ten posts in (and from Bix, secondhand), the R&Rs are involved but not under the table

quote:

From one of the sleaze threads: R&R Express walk in on Jimmy Valiant laying on the floor jerking off under a glass table that a hooker is making GBS threads on. Ricky throws up and leaves, while Robert stays to watch.