Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pingui posted:

Reported for spreading false information.

The Science says the US was the best prepared to deal with a pandemic*

We'll see what QCS has to say about this!
as an employee in a water treatment plant i am the best prepared to drink raw sewage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Holy poo poo this provider meeting with the corporate guys

I’m taking notes poo poo is so hosed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

External Organs posted:

Edit: Pikachu unfortunately continued to have worsening blood oxygen levels and respirations greater than 50. At 0400 a code blue was called, Pikachu's mpoa was contacted and the decision was made to intubate. ET tubes and NGT placed, placement confirmed via x ray. Sats of 94% on fio2 of 100. Continuing to monitor.

pokECMOn

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

External Organs posted:

Edit: Pikachu unfortunately continued to have worsening blood oxygen levels and respirations greater than 50. At 0400 a code blue was called, Pikachu's mpoa was contacted and the decision was made to intubate. ET tubes and NGT placed, placement confirmed via x ray. Sats of 94% on fio2 of 100. Continuing to monitor.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FizFashizzle posted:

I would like to know more

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I guess the "acceptance" stage of grief is more like "turn into a JRPG villain" for some people.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Tzen posted:

i'm not a computer toucher, what does this script/bookmark do exactly

it removes any post that doesn't contain a url/twitter embed

I didn't make it and know nothing of how it works. Someone long ago posted it somewhere here

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

FizFashizzle posted:

:frogon:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i meant to say MOST prepared

most eager? maybe the US was the most eager to deal with a pandemic

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
We are past the peak!
https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1425267706677366792?s=19

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1425423597074632704

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

FizFashizzle posted:

let's hear it

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

IAMKOREA posted:

What if you like make a big deal out of falling while holding a loaded up syringe, like 'accidentally' trip and crash into a big shelf that has all the pills and as they all clatter over the ground spin yourself around and fall on the ground and as you do it just jab yourself in the leg with it and leave it sticking in there, I mean really jab it in, as all the pills rain around you. That should work pretty good I'd reckon.

Sneaking into the hospital to get the third dose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqix542ckUo&t=140s

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Mr Hootington posted:

We are past the peak!

Louisiana at 20% and Arkansas at 25% positive test percentage, probably haven't just run into test capacity issues. Nope. Must be the peak.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Morbus posted:

Maybe, but where, really, is the evidence that cases dropped in response to people panicking and staying home (at least to an extent that it would be expected to blunt formerly accelerating cases from delta)? Notably, in the UK, the initial fall in cases coincided with peak open 'er up. Meanwhile, in parts of California with high vaccination rates, cases are continuing to increase (though not as explosively in e.g. Florida) even after some reintroduction of NPIs, workplace closures, general re-assessment re: delta in the libosphere, etc.

There is fairly good documentation that the initial increase in the UK was exacerbated by football. Specifically men were massively overrepresented and now it is 50/50.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Spoondick posted:

within the past 12 hours 5 of the 8 people in the household became symptomatic, including 3 vaccine breakthroughs and 2 unvaccinatible children... mostly nasal congestion, sore throat, headache, i have a fever

Sure it's not rsv?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

FizFashizzle posted:

:f5:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:flaccid:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/11/health/us-coronavirus-wednesday/index.html posted:

Here's why now is one of the most dangerous times of the pandemic for children, expert says
(..)
"My concerns are deep and I'm very concerned," President Joe Biden said when asked about school-aged children returning to the classroom and whether schools might not be able to stay open. "I also understand that the reason children are becoming infected is because, in most cases, they live in low-vaccination rate states and communities and they're getting it from unvaccinated adults. That's what's happening. And so my plea is that for those not vaccinated, think about it."
(..)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Morbus posted:

Maybe, but where, really, is the evidence that cases dropped in response to people panicking and staying home (at least to an extent that it would be expected to blunt formerly accelerating cases from delta)? Notably, in the UK, the initial fall in cases coincided with peak open 'er up. Meanwhile, in parts of California with high vaccination rates, cases are continuing to increase (though not as explosively in e.g. Florida) even after some reintroduction of NPIs, workplace closures, general re-assessment re: delta in the libosphere, etc.

It's what happened in Arizona and Florida last year and what happened in most of the USA last December to early January. In the former states no restrictions at all happened, but cases dropped. In the latter the restrictions were ignored, cases went crazy, then fell hard once the holidays ended

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Also FizFashizzle, how’s your coworker doing?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Held in check*

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fresh-u-k-covid-19-data-boosts-hopes-that-delta-variant-can-be-held-in-check-11628674201 posted:

Fresh U.K. Covid-19 Data Boosts Hopes That Delta Variant Can Be Held in Check
High vaccination rates seen as critical, along with evidence of public caution

LONDON—The latest surge of Covid-19 cases in the U.K. is giving rise to growing optimism among doctors and scientists that the highly transmissible Delta variant of the coronavirus can be held at bay with high levels of vaccination and public caution.

Although caseloads are now ticking higher after Prime Minister Boris Johnsondropped almost all public-health restrictions in mid July, hospital admissions have been falling and deaths are a fraction of the level seen in earlier phases of the pandemic, according to the latest official data through early August.
(..)
Between 90% and 94% of British adults have some degree of immunity to coronavirus from full or partial vaccination, or prior infection, the U.K. statistics office estimates, based on statistical analysis of blood samples. That is almost certainly playing a big role in keeping a lid on cases and ensuring subdued hospital admissions and deaths, say scientists, though school holidays, warm weather and other factors are also pushing against transmission.
(..)
*run rampant but with fewer deaths and hospitalizations than otherwise

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

:secsmug:

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

my chud coworker's go-to line about why he is unvaccinated always references this movie's zombies. I thought it was a lame punchline he tells as an out from the conversation, he's probably serious though

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

nice

Biden dodged a bullet on that one

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I was worried for a minute there

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Posted in full due to subject matter

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-vaccines-pfizer-moderna-delta-biden-e9be4bb0-3d10-4f56-8054-5410be357070.html posted:

New data on coronavirus vaccine effectiveness may be "a wakeup call"

A new preprint study that raises concerns about the mRNA vaccines' effectiveness against Delta — particularly Pfizer's — has already grabbed the attention of top Biden administration officials.

What they're saying: The study found the Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against infection in July, when the Delta variant was dominant. "If that's not a wakeup call, I don't know what is," a senior Biden official told Axios.

Driving the news: The study, conducted by nference and the Mayo Clinic, compared the effectiveness of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines in the Mayo Clinic Health System over time from January to July.

Overall, it found that the Moderna vaccine was 86% effective against infection over the study period, and Pfizer's was 76%.

Moderna's vaccine was 92% effective against hospitalization and Pfizer's was 85%.

But the vaccines' effectiveness against infection dropped sharply in July, when the Delta variant's prevalence in Minnesota had risen to over 70%.

Moderna was 76% effective against infection, and Pfizer was only 42% effective.

The study found similar results in other states. For example, in Florida, the risk of infection in July for people fully vaccinated with Moderna was about 60% lower than for people fully vaccinated with Pfizer.

Why it matters: Although it has yet to be peer-reviewed, the study raises serious questions about both vaccines' long-term effectiveness, particularly Pfizer's.

It's unclear whether the results signify a reduction in effectiveness over time, a reduced effectiveness against Delta, or a combination of both.

“Based on the data that we have so far, it is a combination of both factors," said Venky Soundararajan, a lead author of the study.

"The Moderna vaccine is likely — very likely — more effective than the Pfizer vaccine in areas where Delta is the dominant strain, and the Pfizer vaccine appears to have a lower durability of effectiveness.”

He added that his team is working on a follow-up study that will try to differentiate between the durability of the two vaccines and their effectiveness against Delta.

Yes, but: There has been no data so far that has found either vaccine's protection against severe disease and death is significantly less against Delta, and the study notes that there doesn't appear to be much of a difference in complications stemming from breakthrough infections based on which vaccine someone got.

And experts cautioned against rushing to conclusions.

“This is the kind of surprising finding that needs confirmation before we should accept its validity," said Cornell virologist John Moore.

Between the lines: The two shots both use mRNA, but there are significant differences between them.

For example, Moderna is given in a stronger dose than Pfizer, and there is a slightly different time interval between shots.

"There are a few differences between what are known to be similar vaccines .... None of these variables is an obvious smoking gun, although the dosing amount seems the most likely to be a factor," Moore said.

In a statement, Pfizer said it and BioNTech "expect to be able to develop and produce a tailor-made vaccine against that variant in approximately 100 days after a decision to do so, subject to regulatory approval."

Link to preprint study: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.06.21261707v1

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i remember thinking this was kinda irresponsible at the time, coz its basically a viral vector cancer vaccine but it makes viral vectors out to be some crazy dangerous bullshit tha turns you into vampires

now here we are and everyone is surprised that more people have seen I am Legend than have been educated about vaccines

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Pillowpants Office posted:

Good afternoon –

As we approach the end of summer, we wanted to provide an update on our plans for our return to the office and the factors we are considering for a potential return. In recent weeks, we have seen an increase in COVID-19 cases across our region. While our offices remain open under the current safety regulations, we will only fully open our offices for normal operations when it is safe to do so. As we have said from the beginning of this pandemic, safety is and remains our top priority.

Given the current situation, our COVID-19 Task Force is evaluating if the mid-September return date previously communicated is still viable. The COVID-19 Task Force is considering multiple factors to determine a return date, including COVID-19 case trends and the Alarm Status of offices. We will continue to provide updates in the coming weeks.

Once we determine it is safe for us to fully reopen the offices, we will communicate the anticipated date well in advance. To help with the transition back to the office, we will also schedule a few “soft opening” orientation sessions for teams to test and familiarize themselves with the new reservation system, conference room set-up and implemented safety procedures.

As always if you have any questions or concerns you are encouraged to speak with your manager.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Bullfrog posted:

today while i was working at the factory i had the thought, "what if this really is the thing that ends society and last year was just the beginning"

way too doomer of a thought but it sucks

This isn't the thing, but it will be listed as one of the things that helped the thing eventually happen. The remaining humans will be telling the story to each other over and over, until they themselves are as dead as the world they're telling stories about. It'll be part of a rich oral tradition that lasts maybe a century, if everything goes really well.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

"As we have said from the beginning of this pandemic, safety is and remains our top priority."

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pingui posted:

Link to preprint study: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.06.21261707v1

Well, maybe it's time to start worrying about waning efficiency.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
lma0 school hasn't even started yet.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pillowpants posted:

Given the current situation, our COVID-19 Task Force is evaluating if the mid-September return date previously communicated is still viable. The COVID-19 Task Force is considering multiple factors to determine a return date, including COVID-19 case trends and the Alarm Status of offices. We will continue to provide updates in the coming weeks.

This really causes one to imagine a bunch of Hideo Kojima video game soldiers in full face respirators and bunny suits tactically breaching the room where the scheduling computer is kept, looking at it, and radioing in that it looks safe.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

bedpan posted:

"As we have said from the beginning of this pandemic, safety is and remains our top priority."

I mean....I've been remote since 3/13/20 and my job will be remote forever, so its kinda true.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Melbourne chuds need to up their game

https://twitter.com/byoliviajenkins/status/1425394699448164359?s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pingui posted:

jesus loving christ

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

jesus loving christ

Excellent post/avatar combo

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Another one of my girlfriend's shithead coworkers may or may not be positive for covid, we don't know yet. I'm furious. She's the only thing I cant wear a respirator against, plus I love her, plus we're potentially both mortally hosed if we get a chunky cruel covida. I don't like having this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I guess the "acceptance" stage of grief is more like "turn into a JRPG villain" for some people.

Personally, I've been human extinction ambivalent ever since i accepted that we're going to make most marine life extinct by the end of the century