Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SKULL.GIF posted:

I was reflecting on this tonight while at work. Two things stand out to me:

1. No hero can actually take on Gigantomachia.

2. Nezu's an expert at heavy machinery.

UA will absolutely, 100% turn into a giant mecha and fight Gigantomachia. Mark this post.

I mean, there's also Power Loader in the Support department, whose deal seems to be making mechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Carlosologist posted:

it seems to me that AFO’s plan so far has been to break Midoriya’s will by breaking everything and letting him deal with the flood of villains and vigilantes until he couldn’t keep going. He’s only sent Nagant and two other assassins his way, so I imagine that he’s not gonna really rev up the pressure until he gets bored of waiting around. He’s still got Shigaraki’s crispy body to perfect with no Doc around so I can’t really see a massive escalation yet

I assumed AfO just talked to a random assortment of escapees during the prison breaks and said "hey, i'll reward you if you capture this kid for me" and then let them loose, so there could be an indefinite number of assassins lurking out there operating independently. So he's not really sending assassins so much as they happen to find Deku when they happen to find Deku.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
UA is for sure going to be a giant mecha and I cannot wait.

I hope we get a SDF: Macross sequence of everyone inside as it transforms :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

1. No hero can actually take on Gigantomachia.

Um, what are you talking about, Momo had clearly beaten Gigantomachia when they last fought, everyone says so. :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao

https://twitter.com/BULLETSYMPHONY/...ingawful.com%2F

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is a bit, right? It has to be a bit.

https://twitter.com/BULLETSYMPHONY/status/1424819300959801344?s=19

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That or puppetmaster

https://twitter.com/bulletsymphony/status/1424886745716334622?s=21

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Kids still learning about Poe's Law

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Friendship is aggression.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

don't doxx this thread

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm regrettably familiar enough with the Discourse to state with confidence that this twitter account is being facetious

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

All I can hear now is "lol this was a social experiment and I just got an A in my college sociology 101 class"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Maybe MHA itself is the real social experiment and Horikoshi is trying to get an A in his Sociology class by writing it and observing the fanbase.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I feel like Attack on Titan is the better "social experiment to see how worked up fans can get about things" project then, can only award Horikoshi a B.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It feels a bit weird to look at someone trolling and going "How... how strange and mysterious this beast is. Who would do that, just go onto the internet and lie" when it's like a basic form of discourse on these forums.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Probably Magic posted:

I feel like Attack on Titan is the better "social experiment to see how worked up fans can get about things" project then, can only award Horikoshi a B.

No that was Endless Eight and nothing will ever top that. All the others deserve a C- at best, see me after class.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

No that was Endless Eight and nothing will ever top that. All the others deserve a C- at best, see me after class.

Yeah, right. AoT got the internet wondering aloud whether or not the author is a literal nazi. The Endless Eight was just a crappy two months of episodes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

lovely poker hand posted:

Yeah, right. AoT got the internet wondering aloud whether or not the author is a literal nazi. The Endless Eight was just a crappy two months of episodes.

Reactionary manga authors isn't loving new or exciting.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
A manga making GBS threads the bed at the end, clearly unintentionally, isn't a "social experiment"

people need to stop thinking everything controversial creators do is targeted at pissing off people because I guarantee you most people who write fiction for a living are not going "heh yeah gently caress those fans" when they work on their projects

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Koumpounophilia posted:

turns out the "innocents" of mha world are just as lovely as the governments

I'm going to enjoy watching Shigaraki dust these ungrateful assholes, holy poo poo.

I think that's a little bit disingenuous, they do have the point that they evacuated to get away from, well, everything, and Deku is basically the magnet for everything right now.

It is also absolutely unreasonable to shout at the teenager whose realistically the only thing stoping the lot of them dying in a SMT Chaos hellscape and tell him to go and die somewhere else, though.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 11, 2021

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Blockhouse posted:

A manga making GBS threads the bed at the end, clearly unintentionally, isn't a "social experiment"

people need to stop thinking everything controversial creators do is targeted at pissing off people because I guarantee you most people who write fiction for a living are not going "heh yeah gently caress those fans" when they work on their projects

What? Are you saying that when someone writes something I don't like in a piece of fiction it's not aimed directly at me to mock me for ever caring in anything ever and a direct threat to me that I must respond to in kind.

I think you should take part in reality more

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm pretty happy with the direction of everything so far outside of it really looking like we're speedrunning to the end.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

posting horikoshi sketch bc it's good mina content

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1425460595613073414

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

kidcoelacanth posted:

posting horikoshi sketch bc it's good mina content

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1425460595613073414

Quality Mina content, TOP TIER Kirishima content.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Endless Eight happened because the arc they were going to do got greenlit for a movie and they needed to replace it somehow.

Attack on Titan’s ending was carefully, painstakingly sculpted to be as awful as possible

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Endless Eight happened because the arc they were going to do got greenlit for a movie and they needed to replace it somehow.

Attack on Titan’s ending was carefully, painstakingly sculpted to be as awful as possible

They still could have made it less than 8 episodes long (since I believe in the book version the characters go through maybe 2 or 3 loops that we see before figuring it out) as there were still plenty of other stories they could have adapted in its place.

Speaking of, I really want a Haruhi Season 3 one day but since there isn’t much in the way of new books to promote at the moment I doubt it’ll happen any time soon.

Also on my personal wishlist:

-A Vigilantes anime

-A third season of Gatchaman CROWDS

-A new Slayers series (the novels started up again recently and some of the VAs lent their talents to a mobile game event I forget the name of)

-A Soul Eater reboot that actually follows the manga this time.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 11, 2021

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm intensely curious but I don't wanna derail the thread, but I'm intensely curious, because I've heard "Author was right leaning Japanese Nationalist", to "No that was overblown and the narrative was much more nuanced than that and actually a critique on such points of view" and now also the ending was bad?

cool kids inc. posted:

Quality Mina content, TOP TIER Kirishima content.

:hai:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Crasical posted:

I'm intensely curious but I don't wanna derail the thread, but I'm intensely curious, because I've heard "Author was right leaning Japanese Nationalist", to "No that was overblown and the narrative was much more nuanced than that and actually a critique on such points of view" and now also the ending was bad?

:hai:

The ending is really bad and no one learns anything but "making war with Titans is bad, use conventional weapons instead" also, wtf Armin and Mikasa

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Larryb posted:

-A Soul Eater reboot that actually follows the manga this time.

the manga ended badly, too, but unlike most bad manga endings the badness was mainly limited to the final chapter instead of the last eight to twelve months of them

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

the manga ended badly, too, but unlike most bad manga endings the badness was mainly limited to the final chapter instead of the last eight to twelve months of them

True, but there’s still a lot of good material in between that I would love to see animated one day.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Is Soul Eater considered bad? I thought it was pretty cool.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It ended badly but the remaining 95% or so is pretty good from what I recall

There’s also the prequel Soul Eater NOT which is pretty much more of the same only with awkward teenage lesbians as the main characters (it’s also a bit hornier in the fanservice department but decent enough story wise)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 11, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

soul eater is extremely good for like 90% of its run, but it looks like it got the wrap-it-up treatment where a bunch of plot threads and arcs fizzled into anticlimax, and the final chapter is mostly comprised of boob jokes

still a lot better than how a lot of long-running manga ended up. if you want a full-scale creative meltdown then you can just look at the aforementioned AoT, or bleach, or beastars

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
toriko's another example of a manga that definitely got orders from on high to floor the accelerator until the finale, and i'm still mad about that. i could have read about ridiculous food adventures forever

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wish Demon Slayer had gotten more time in the oven, the final battle was surprisingly unsatisfying after all the other demon fights had been pretty good.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Soul Eater is a series that meant the world to me for the first 2/3rds or so of its run and then kind of completely dropped off my radar after that, which is a bummer.

Anime OST slapped though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pILNuyAnEzo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fire Force by the same author as Soul Eater has been good, gotten really weird recently.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Soul Eater is very good except for the ending. Even that anime original ending, which is overall not great, still had some really good parts, like the Death City robot.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I would argue that the Noah character was interesting at first, but turned out badly by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Soul Eater was a long running shonen with a female mc and female and non binary main antagonists, will that ever happen again