Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TheScott2K posted:

This misread is so bad I'm tempted to call you a moron, but it was probably intentional so actually you're an rear end in a top hat.

Go back to disengaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

His Divine Shadow posted:

Other people already answered most of your post so I'll just say that I spend 5-6 hours driving per week and my car is comfortable, fun to drive (particularly nice to drive in a city), insanely reliable and gets drat good mileage. The only thing my car isn't, is new and shiny. Which seems to be what's triggering some people tbh.

Also I thought it was interesting how it seems imply what you think about poor people, they're incompetent, that's why they're poor and can't afford a proper modern car, as if that is a requirement to pass for a competent adult in your eyes is to spend enough money on a car. FWIW I could afford a 10k car, but why would I want to, it's like you say, subjective. My car is great at everything except gaining the approval of people like you, and I don't value that. Not having a monthly car payment and more money to save or spend, that I value.

I would assume any fully grown adult that thinks $10k is an unimaginably privileged amount of money to spend on a car is pretty financially incompetent yes. If you're happy in your clunker more power to you, thats not triggering anyone - its your wacky claim that someone being able to spend $10k on a car makes them a scion of privilege, despite that being approx half the average price of a used (nevermind new) car in America today.

Though for what its worth a 2007 Yaris is very objectively neither comfortable or fun to drive as far as cars go. Its also certainly less reliable than a modern car, and gets worse mileage than a comparable modern car. A 2017 Yaris has a trade-in value of $9-11k and would be demonstrably better under every single metric you've listed, nevermind a more interesting brand/model.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Other people already answered most of your post so I'll just say that I spend 5-6 hours driving per week and my car is comfortable, fun to drive (particularly nice to drive in a city), insanely reliable and gets drat good mileage. The only thing my car isn't, is new and shiny. Which seems to be what's triggering some people tbh.

Also I thought it was interesting how it seems imply what you think about poor people, they're incompetent, that's why they're poor and can't afford a proper modern car, as if that is a requirement to pass for a competent adult in your eyes is to spend enough money on a car. FWIW I could afford a 10k car, but why would I want to, it's like you say, subjective. My car is great at everything except gaining the approval of people like you, and I don't value that. Not having a monthly car payment and more money to save or spend, that I value.

Being able to afford a 10k car but choosing not to buy one, is different from simply being unable to buy a 10k car. Nobody here is disapproving of your choice so i think you are maybe misreading his post

Edit: OK maybe some people are disapproving of your car lmao, but half my point still stands

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 11, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Is there an equivalent of the derail toucan for tech nightmares? Like a picture of a coax networking cable or something.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Here's hoping right to repair movement gains traction and has a positive impact about how cars are designed so that basic maintenance is easier.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

knox_harrington posted:

Is there an equivalent of the derail toucan for tech nightmares? Like a picture of a coax networking cable or something.

Car stuff specifically probably warrants its own thread.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Right lets let this lie where it does then. Gonna go for a drive :)

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Let's get this thread back on track.

https://twitter.com/iloveplap/status/1425483763383881729

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Knobs and buttons are better anyway because they are more tactile than touchpads could ever be, plus you hardly ever have to look at the switch/button to know which one you're pressing. You can tell by feel and general location.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I swear every time I see a Tesla interior everything around the screen is different and still terrible.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It seems like it would be a nightmare to try and operate a car where everything goes through a touchscreen. Yeesh.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

just wait until UX designers, desperate to justify their jobs, push an un-declineable update that moves shot around for no reason and now you have to take your eyes off the road even longer to turn on the AC

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

just wait until UX designers, desperate to justify their jobs, push an un-declineable update that moves shot around for no reason and now you have to take your eyes off the road even longer to turn on the AC

In here looking for things to tweet?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if im forced to have a touchonly interface, can i atleast have full color and brightness control.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

How are u posted:

Ford will be releasing a hybrid truck, soon. It could be a game changer in the US. A fully electric F150 as well.

The idea of an electric F-150 frustrates the hell out of me. Obviously there's a need for vehicles that size for specific purposes, and I'm sure it'll find some use in company fleets where the range is acceptable. However, that market is going to be just a slice of the audience for this truck, and many of these are going to end up in the driveways of accountants and dental hygienists. It's like a perfect encapsulation of our attitude towards climate change: we can tech our way out of the end of the world and nothing in your life actually has to change.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baronash posted:

The idea of an electric F-150 frustrates the hell out of me. Obviously there's a need for vehicles that size for specific purposes, and I'm sure it'll find some use in company fleets where the range is acceptable. However, that market is going to be just a slice of the audience for this truck, and many of these are going to end up in the driveways of accountants and dental hygienists. It's like a perfect encapsulation of our attitude towards climate change: we can tech our way out of the end of the world and nothing in your life actually has to change.

I'm struggling to find the actual market for that truck. The battery tech just isn't there to do most truck things I'd be doing with a truck. I wonder how far that thing would pull a 9,000 lb trailer.

It's best use case probably is in someone driveway who doesn't actually need a truck.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Motronic posted:

I'm struggling to find the actual market for that truck. The battery tech just isn't there to do most truck things I'd be doing with a truck. I wonder how far that thing would pull a 9,000 lb trailer.

It's best use case probably is in someone driveway who doesn't actually need a truck.

Pretty much. It's a gateway to EVs for the lovely middle and upper class white conservative men who love their little dick commuter trucks.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The electric F150 fits the use-case of a suburb-dwelling F150 owner really well and doesn't need gas. People who go to Home Depot, but only on Saturday or Sunday, move the occasional Single Large Object, and otherwise drive it to or from work are going to at least consider it. "You don't actually need a truck" isn't compelling to someone who someone who can think of several times he was glad he had one.

It's an EV that doesn't cost them any of the functionality they actually use, doesn't have the cultural baggage of a Tesla, and looks like the thing they already like. And there are little extras like the frunk and the ability to run household stuff off it in a power outage. I think you guys are underestimating the impact the F150 EV is going to have.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

The electric F150 fits the use-case of a suburb-dwelling F150 owner really well and doesn't need gas. People who go to Home Depot, but only on Saturday or Sunday, move the occasional Single Large Object, and otherwise drive it to or from work are going to at least consider it. "You don't actually need a truck" isn't compelling to someone who someone who can think of several times he was glad he had one.

It's an EV that doesn't cost them any of the functionality they actually use, doesn't have the cultural baggage of a Tesla, and looks like the thing they already like. And there are little extras like the frunk and the ability to run household stuff off it in a power outage. I think you guys are underestimating the impact the F150 EV is going to have.

I'm not estimating it's impact at all, but I agree with the rest of your post: it's the use case where nobody should own a pickup and instead rent the one at Home Depot the 3 times a year they would be "glad to have one".

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

I'm not estimating it's impact at all, but I agree with the rest of your post: it's the use case where nobody should own a pickup and instead rent the one at Home Depot the 3 times a year they would be "glad to have one".

yes, yes, everyone's stupid, little dicks, etc, very insightful

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Should come standard with speakers that can play the loud noises of your choice. Maybe bright lights to charge up.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Motronic posted:

Trailer hitch. It's the best solution IMO, you can also rent the trailer.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Motronic posted:

That's the hope anyways. I don't see it working

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Trailer hitch. It's the best solution IMO, you can also rent the trailer.

Towing regulations are completely different in North America, you basically cannot do it with a car.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ah well that sucks, here you can tow anything from 1600 to 6600 lbs depending on your car and the trailer, bigger than that and you need a license for bigger loads.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Motronic posted:

I'm gonna argue against myself a little here and say that fleet use for a municipality is honestly a great market for a truck like this: Moving people, tools, and odd shaped junk between a few sites each day for a set number of hours and then getting parked to charge until the next morning. Any irregular needs can get handled by other vehicles.

But yeah, the self-employed fellow who uses his truck to tow the boat on the weekends? Nah.

PT6A posted:

Towing regulations are completely different in North America, you basically cannot do it with a car.

This is patently false.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 11, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shrecknet posted:

"Oh poo poo, my Dash crashed and is unrecoverable"

PT6A posted:

I mean.....you shouldn't, but Uhaul will gladly install a hitch on your car.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Baronash posted:

This is patently false.

Was wondering about that myself. I used to have a 98 Honda Accord with an aftermarket trailer hitch I made pretty good use of with low-slung trailers. Maybe it varies by state.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

"Oh poo poo, my Dash crashed and is unrecoverable"

You'd be lucky if it's just the dash...

https://twitter.com/iNeal/status/1420221303840071682

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

Was wondering about that myself. I used to have a 98 Honda Accord with an aftermarket trailer hitch I made pretty good use of with low-slung trailers. Maybe it varies by state.

US folks towing overloaded trailers is a Tech Nightmare in and of itself, and it does happen. A lot.

Can't wait for OTA ECU updates that fail mid flash.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
e:dp

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

TheScott2K posted:

While obviously there is no "North American legal standard", generally in the United States the legal limit is three-fold: You need a special license to drive a vehicle with a Gross-Vehicle Weight Rating of 26,000 lbs, or a trailer with a Gross-Trailer Weight Rating of more than 10,000 lbs, and you cannot exceed the manufacturer's Gross-Combined Weight Rating of a vehicle.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kaal posted:

While obviously there is no "North American legal standard", generally in the United States the legal limit is three-fold: You need a special license to drive a vehicle with a Gross-Vehicle Weight Rating of 26,000 lbs, or a trailer with a Gross-Trailer Weight Rating of more than 10,000 lbs, and you cannot exceed the manufacturer's Gross-Combined Weight Rating of a vehicle.

And people do exceed it all the time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Kaal posted:

That is not this:

quote:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Motronic posted:

What may make it more viable is Ford patented an extended range engine that is supposed to look like a bed mounted tool box. They haven't announced it but if they do it has a chance to turn an F-150EV into a hybrid. That might make it more attractive as a fleet vehicle.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

It's true that, according to manufacturer specs, many full-size and smaller sedans no longer give official tow ratings for US customers, even if they have them overseas. US trailer wheelbases and loading recommendations are based off of higher tongue weight percentages than their Euro counterparts. A higher tongue weight means your car is doing more work pulling the load (thus a lower max tow rating), but you get the benefit of less trailer sway. Sway is manageable by driving slower, but lol at expecting US drivers to do anything less than 75 on a highway. A company like Uhaul will be glad to install a hitch on your car (for your "bike rack"), and a light duty trailer loaded intelligently is absolutely manageable for most sedans.

Of course, this has only really affected sedans, which make up just a fifth of the market. To say that "Americans have no options for towing except a pickup" when literally half of cars sold are crossovers is a mind-boggling rejection of reality

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

TheScott2K posted:

That is not this:

Agreed.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Ah well that sucks, here you can tow anything from 1600 to 6600 lbs depending on your car and the trailer, bigger than that and you need a license for bigger loads.
Yeah here I think it's 3500 kg total weight of car and trailer without a separate trailer license (and, what, B2 for 7500 kg max total?)
But of course everything is oversized in the US; here in Scandiland everyone got by with a station wagon and a hitch - if you can't get your poo poo transported with that, you're either a professional (and use a city van deal with room for a Europallet, or a Raptor type deal if necessary)

We all still get by like this though, I know us scandis always nag VW, Tesla et al for hitch couplings on EVs the past few years.

Like nobody here can even imagine an XC40 electric or even e-Golf without a hitch, it's a human right over here almost

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 11, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

F4rt5 posted:

Yeah here I think it's 3500 kg total weight of car and trailer without a separate trailer license (and, what, B2 for 7500 kg max total?)
But of course everything is oversized in the US; here in Scandiland everyone got by with a station wagon and a hitch - if you can't get your poo poo transported with that, you're either a professional (and use a city van deal with room for a Europallet, or a Raptor type deal if necessary)

We all still get by like this though, I know us scandis always nag VW, Tesla et al for hitch couplings on EVs the past few years.

Like nobody here can even imagine an XC40 electric or even e-Golf without a hitch, it's a human right over here almost

The Kia Niro EV I'm leasing has a towing capacity of 2800lbs.

https://www.carindigo.com/kia/niro-ev-suv/towing-capacity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

The Kia Niro EV I'm leasing has a towing capacity of 2800lbs.

https://www.carindigo.com/kia/niro-ev-suv/towing-capacity

EVs should be decent at towing, what with the battery weights, the brakes needed for stopping a heavy battery laden vehicle, and the torque of an EV electric motor.