Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Google Butt posted:

Once you wear an elastomeric once you will never feel nearly as safe when wearing any paper mask

government should have sent one to every citizen.

edit: page snipe. garleans knew.

Rauros has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Shen Long posted:

"match effort with effort" is like...the dumbest loving rule anyone could have made, especially for somethingawful lmao

It does make sense considering D&D is basically a gigantic case study in the bullshit asymmetry principle.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Louisgod posted:

that would be hilarious since the person I quoted was probated for not providing a quality response, which I tried to do, so if they shut me down it's clear mods are intent on shutting down any condemnation of the failed liberal response from Biden.

tenderjerk posted:

I agree with joe biden when he said he beat the coronavirus and I agree with joe biden when he says we'll beat the delta variant just like he beat the first coronavirus, joe biden #1.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pingui posted:

These are the ones the authors mentioned:

Meatloaf would agree that 2 out of 3 ain't bad :-P

"it can be speculated that X"

I gotta write that one down. Speculating without putting your name on the speculation, now that's high-level technical writing.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Forseti posted:

My "Proud Super Straight" T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

super straight is referring to his ekg

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

No joking in the comedy forums

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lol

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It does make sense considering D&D is basically a gigantic case study in the bullshit asymmetry principle.

Everyone knows the only way to defeat gish gallop is to systematically refute every point

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

If you don't agree that Biden is simply doing his best and don't provide a 27 page policy that can be legally implemented, with citation, you will be banned.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Shen Long posted:

One of the main reasons why we have to develop new flu vaccines year after year is simply the fact that the flu virus mutates quite readily, while the novel coronavirus has a molecular mechanism in its RNA polymerase protein that proofreads and ensures the fidelity of genomic replication.

Some current vaccines use a viral vector to introduce antigens that will then build a robust immune response, but as far as I know, there have been no live-attenuated vaccines developed and approved for the novel coronavirus. Live-attenuated vaccines are the gold-standard for vaccination campaigns, because they use an entire viral particle that your immune system can recognize and remember, not just a single spike protein or capsid protein or what have you. The only reason why polio, measles, and other horrific diseases have been eradicated were mostly thanks to live-attenuated vaccines.

There is a lot not quite right here.

The RNA proofreading in SARS-CoV-2 reduces the error rate in any given replication, but the overall mutation sampling rate (which is what matters) is a function of the intrinsic replication error rate, the number of viral cells replicating, how long/much they replicate and how quickly. It's not just the probability of a mutation happening in one generation, but how large and frequent those generations are. In the latter categories, SARS-CoV-2 and especially delta are almost certainly superior to influenza, in terms of their ability to sample the mutation space in a given amount of time. Really, the proofreading in coronaviruses mainly just compensates for (and enables) their large genome--they are still RNA viruses and their error rate is within a factor of ~2 of influenza (vs. say being ~3 orders of magnitude higher than HSV)

In any case, the ability of a virus to mutate isn't the only or even the most important factor in terms of it's ability to escape vaccines. A lot of it boils down to the virus itself. Measles in particular is famous for having many epitopes which can be simultaneously targeted by highly neutralizing antibodies, with many of them being on highly conserved parts of the virus. SARS-CoV-2, on the other hand, is characterized by more or less a single immunodominant feature where you can achieve solid neutralization--this is kind of just a function of its geometry and structure. Anyway there is a lot that goes into whether a virus is easily nailed down by vaccines or not and it's much more complicated than just the intrinsic mutation rate or what kind of vaccine you use.

As for live-attenuated vaccines...measles and polio were beaten by live-attenuated or whole-inactivated virus vaccines because those were the kinds of vaccines that were practical at the time. There is every reason to 100% believe that measles, for example, would get its poo poo absolutely wrecked by a vector, mRNA, or protein subunit vaccine. Measles is just an inherently easy virus to neutralize--which is part of why the vaccines for measles have the (extremely) high efficacy needed to achieve the ridiculous herd immunity threshold for its god-tier R0 of loving 15 or whatever. (It's also why people who survived measles had lifelong immunity, as compared to "oops I got covid a 2nd time in 1 year").

Anyway, whole-inactivated virus vaccines are not expected to be substantially different than live-attenuated ones--especially to the degree that the immune system is exposed to more than just spike. Sinovac CoronaVac and Sinopharm BBIBP-CorV are both whole virus vaccines, and, well, they don't seem to be better (or even nearly as good) as mRNA vaccines. Moreover, years of research on SARS-CoV-1 vaccine, and everything we currently know about SARS-CoV-2 immunity, indicate that spike is really the critical target, and immune responses to the "whole virus" are generally not as good + less durable. And while ADE hasn't been a problem (cross fingers) for any SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, work on SARS-CoV-1 indicated it might be a problem with whole inactivated vaccines. Maybe a live-attenuated vaccine wouldn't have the same ADE risks (a la measles), maybe it would be worse, maybe its pointless to generalize based on a vaccine for a different virus only tested on rhesus monkeys.

Right now, the best evidence for really broad and durable immunity to SARS-CoV-2 is from immune responses that 1) have lots of good antibodies targeting spike and 2) have enough time or exposure for those antibodies to benefit from substantial affinity maturation. In contrast, approaches to immunity that are more "broad"*--such as natural immunity or the immunity from whole virus vaccines--seem to suffer from all the same efficacy and durability problems as mRNA vaccines, just more so.

*There are, I think, good arguments and some evidence that targeting a broader range or diversity of spike epitopes could be beneficial but that's a separate discussion

Morbus has issued a correction as of 19:21 on Aug 11, 2021

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Plank Walker posted:

super straight is referring to his ekg

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

cspammers kamikaze posting in the d&d thread makes me lol

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

chmods please posted:

lmao I was super congested and had a messed up nose and irritated throat a couple of weeks ago which I didn't get tested for because I thought was because of wildfire smoke crossing the country and now I wonder if it was delta.

lol I just got over a week and a half of malaise that ended with three days of allergic conjunctivitis, rhinitis and non-stop sneezing that i figured were allergies

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

maybe dnd should get therapy for their assburgers

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

great post Morbus, thank you

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
my teepublic "no one will save you" shirt must have started printing before the whole falcon drama b/c it shipped

planning to wear it to get my "first" shot in a few weeks

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

mdemone posted:

great post, thank you

ur welcome

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

lol damnit

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

last couple days i noticed we got several shots where they got a first dose way earlier in the year and the lazy dumbasses probably fell upwards into better immune responses

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

mycomancy posted:

Jesus Christ, "uninformed" is doing Atlas-level heavy lifting here.

gently caress off with this dumbfuckery.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

My read on COVID is that it's like a big ol hacker type that wants to get into a cell and then shut down all the surveillance systems. If a virion manages to get in undetected it can shut down all the CCTV and wiretaps and poo poo and do its thing for a while until someone notices, even in a vaccinated person.

Note I don't really know anything, this is uninformed speculation

Hey by all means help me understand what's wrong with what I wrote, well aware I'm dumb as hell. I'm trying to understand the implications of this Bieniasz lecture about COVID antibody-influenced selection. If you're saying that I've fundamentally misunderstood the presented content then that's plausible.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Man. The D&D thread is a total embarrassment and I will be ignoring it completely from now on. Both the tone of the thread and the quality of the moderation are bottom of the barrel.

How do you give Joe 'loving' Biden the benefit of the doubt in August 2021

:yikes:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

osprey posted:

cspammers kamikaze posting in the d&d thread makes me lol

oh my god it's taking all my effort not to dive bomb in

LOW EFFORT MODERATION!!!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

silicone thrills posted:

Like I knew he was a piece of poo poo when he told sexual assault victims to relive their trauma to make a new OP for the sexual assault and politics thread and then compared it to "writing an essay about video games" when no one volunteered and wow why is no one volunteering, this is no big deal! People write long OPs all the time for VIDJA GAMES but probing people for pointing out that Biden is absolutely doing a shite job at curbing the spread of covid is a whole nother level of poo poo.

The goal of everyone who posts in D&D is to not to actually make a point or provide anything of value. The goal is to get the person you are responding to to get mad and make a post that you can then report to the mods and get them probated for. It's a game, not a discussion forum.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Thoguh posted:

The goal of everyone who posts in D&D is to not to actually make a point or provide anything of value. The goal is to get the person you are responding to to get mad and make a post that you can then report to the mods and get them probated for. It's a game, not a discussion forum.

don't post in *&* folks it's bad to do it

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Thoguh posted:

lol if you believe cspam isn't the same way

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Google Butt posted:

If you don't agree that Biden is simply doing his best and don't provide a 27 page policy that can be legally implemented, with citation, you will be banned.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Man, I already was dodging unmasked kids. Now I need to run from them.

FistEnergy posted:

Man. The D&D thread is a total embarrassment and I will be ignoring it completely from now on. Both the tone of the thread and the quality of the moderation are bottom of the barrel.

How do you give Joe 'loving' Biden the benefit of the doubt in August 2021

:yikes:

They miss normal life and it's hard to blame them. Covid sucks and everybody wants it to end.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Nocturtle posted:

Hey by all means help me understand what's wrong with what I wrote, well aware I'm dumb as hell. I'm trying to understand the implications of this Bieniasz lecture about COVID antibody-influenced selection. If you're saying that I've fundamentally misunderstood the presented content then that's plausible.

Nope, regarding both of your posts:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Marzzle posted:

not true - we don't have to report people we can just tell them to shut the gently caress up here

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

My read on COVID is that it's like a big ol hacker type that wants to get into a cell and then shut down all the surveillance systems. If a virion manages to get in undetected it can shut down all the CCTV and wiretaps and poo poo and do its thing for a while until someone notices, even in a vaccinated person.

Note I don't really know anything, this is uninformed speculation

Yeah, coronaviruses (including the common cold) have weird interferon patterns where there is reduced interferon in the early stages and then increased interferon in the later stages, which lines up with the cytokine storm/SIRS situations that have been killing people when they seem to be recovering. Interferon not only inhibits the ability of viruses to enter cells, but it is also an inflammatory signal when it's activated, so it's all part of that complement cascade feedback loop that tears people apart in late-stage COVID.

I don't agree with the notion that COVID is this super adaptable unicorn that's never going to be treatable. COVID is nasty but the big thing that's enabled it to gently caress things up so badly is the absolutely abysmal public health response that is designed to protect NUMBER instead of save lives.

SchrodingersCat has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Aug 11, 2021

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

not true - we don't have to report people we can just tell them to shut the gently caress up here

Correct, we scream at and dogpile them until they go away. It rules.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I just got a 'THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed' alert on my phone. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about..

Shen Long
May 29, 2021

by Athanatos

Morbus posted:

There is a lot not quite right here.

The RNA proofreading in SARS-CoV-2 reduces the error rate in any given replication, but the overall mutation sampling rate (which is what matters) is a function of the intrinsic replication error rate, the number of viral cells replicating, how long/much they replicate and how quickly. It's not just the probability of a mutation happening in one generation, but how large and frequent those generations are. In the latter categories, SARS-CoV-2 and especially delta are almost certainly superior to influenza, in terms of their ability to sample the mutation space in a given amount of time. Really, the proofreading in coronaviruses mainly just compensates for (and enables) their large genome--they are still RNA viruses and their error rate is within a factor of ~2 of influenza (vs. say being ~3 orders of magnitude higher than HSV)

In any case, the ability of a virus to mutate isn't the only or even the most important factor in terms of it's ability to escape vaccines. A lot of it boils down to the virus itself. Measles in particular is famous for having many epitopes which can be simultaneously targeted by highly neutralizing antibodies, with many of them being on highly conserved parts of the virus. SARS-CoV-2, on the other hand, is characterized by more or less a single immunodominant feature where you can achieve solid neutralization--this is kind of just a function of its geometry and structure. Anyway there is a lot that goes into whether a virus is easily nailed down by vaccines or not and it's much more complicated than just the intrinsic mutation rate or what kind of vaccine you use.

As for live-attenuated vaccines...measles and polio were beaten by live-attenuated or whole-inactivated virus vaccines because those were the kinds of vaccines that were practical at the time. There is every reason to 100% believe that measles, for example, would get its poo poo absolutely wrecked by a vector, mRNA, or protein subunit vaccine. Measles is just an inherently easy virus to neutralize--which is part of why the vaccines for measles have the (extremely) high efficacy needed to achieve the ridiculous herd immunity threshold for its god-tier R0 of loving 15 or whatever. (It's also why people who survived measles had lifelong immunity, as compared to "oops I got covid a 2nd time in 1 year").

Anyway, whole-inactivated virus vaccines are not expected to be substantially different than live-attenuated ones--especially to the degree that the immune system is exposed to more than just spike. Sinovac CoronaVac and Sinopharm BBIBP-CorV are both whole virus vaccines, and, well, they don't seem to be better (or even nearly as good) as mRNA vaccines. Moreover, years of research on SARS-CoV-1 vaccine, and everything we currently know about SARS-CoV-2 immunity, indicate that spike is really the critical target, and immune responses to the "whole virus" are generally not as good + less durable. And while ADE hasn't been a problem (cross fingers) for any SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, work on SARS-CoV-1 indicated it might be a problem with whole inactivated vaccines. Maybe a live-attenuated vaccine wouldn't have the same ADE risks (a la measles), maybe it would be worse, maybe its pointless to generalize based on a vaccine for a different virus only tested on rhesus monkeys.

Right now, the best evidence for really broad and durable immunity to SARS-CoV-2 is from immune responses that 1) have lots of good antibodies targeting spike and 2) have enough time or exposure for those antibodies to benefit from substantial affinity maturation. In contrast, approaches to immunity that are more "broad"*--such as natural immunity or the immunity from whole virus vaccines--seem to suffer from all the same efficacy and durability problems as mRNA vaccines, just more so.

*There are, I think, good arguments and some evidence that targeting a broader range or diversity of spike epitopes could be beneficial but that's a separate discussion

:hmmyes: what this guy said

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

every dnd poster is actually just fishmech parachute accounts

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

How long until Florida embraces the joy and pain of papa Nurgle?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Bone Crimes posted:

I just got a 'THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed' alert on my phone. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about..

there's a national test of the system today apparently: https://www.king5.com/article/news/nation-world/nationwide-test-emergency-alert-system-wednesday/507-b4d50ed9-6d45-4108-b4ee-cce7db8fd535

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Forseti posted:

My "Proud Super Straight" T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

Direct link to his Facebook profile if you want to laugh at his public status updates in real time: https://www.facebook.com/kenneth.a.reddick

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Marzzle posted:

The closest thing in C-SPAM is if you melt down completely you might get a sixer to step away from the thread and calm down for a bit. Nobody is gonna get a probe for a "Actually, gently caress you" reply to somebody making a poo poo gish gallop argument.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Jon Irenicus posted:

I hear we are past the peak confirm / deny

We are indeed. From here on everything is only going down.
Edit: severely beaten

genericnick has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shen Long
May 29, 2021

by Athanatos
gently caress the mods, imo