Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

multijoe posted:

I maintain Hey Ys being a confidence Stand was a retcon, it definitely knew things Pocoloco had no way of knowing like the animal skull behind the bushes

It just guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Hey Ya directly led Pocoloco to winning the Steel Ball Run. Seems pretty useful to me.

As for Survivor, the whole moral of that story is "even the stand that seems the weakest can become incredibly powerful if used in the right context".

The way I see it, Hey Ya indirectly killed Dio

The theoretically most powerful stand, given time

Except its user doesn't wanna do much of anything

I love it

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

CodfishCartographer posted:

So re-reading Jojolion, something has popped out at me that may be revealing for the final chapter. These pages are from ch 22, the flashback about Johnny in Morioh:

Skipping ahead to this month's chapter, 109, there's a VERY familiar-looking tree in the area that Lucy is here to investigate:

It could be a coincidence, but Lucy knows about the corpse - it's possible she knew where Johnny hid it. She could even be the woman in that first page. The trees also look very similar - they're obviously the same type of tree, and they're both cut off at the top and stick out to the sides. There's also a second tree near the first. Since Johnny took a carriage there, it's near a roadway as well. It can also very clearly be seen that where Lucy visited is by the ocean, and the tree Johnny buried the corpse under is at the coast. I think it's very plausible the site of the Radio Gaga Incident is the same site that Johnny hid the corpse.

To be fair, this is kind of A Thing in Jojo. Johnny got shot in the head multiple times and was fine.

I just read chapter 99, where I totally forgot about this panel. I'm fairly confident this is enough proof that Lucy is here not for the guardrail, but to investigate where Johnny buried the corpse.

Maybe she snuck it back and buried it again after they retrieved it? These panels almost seem to imply that.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 10, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hearing that Jojolion was about to end I decided to read the entire thing. It's weird because I feel like the series largely wrapped up its plot in a satisfying manner somewhere around volume 14, and then spent 13 volumes mostly spinning its wheels.

Like by volume 14 we've already learnt who Josuke is (Josefumi and Kira) and what the deal is with the Higashikata family (Joubin was working with the rock people to smuggle in fruits). We know why Kira was killed, and his killer launched a horrifying attack against the Higashikata family in order to try and finish the job. There are a few loose ends and inconsistencies, but the big questions have been answered and it seems like the bad guys have been defeated. From that point to me the main loose ends to tie up would be 1) a potential betrayal from Joubin, 2) Tsurugi's illness and 3) curing Holly with the fruit.

From it seems like the new villains we get mostly just exist to delay and obstruct the protagonists from achieving that second goal. Their motives aren't very well defined beyond money, and we don't learn who their leader is until we're fighting him (which to me made that feel like an overly long villain of the week fight). They don't really have much connection to the previous storyline about Joubin and the smuggling route, or the trouble Josefumi and Kira found themselves in. In addition both the fights at the hospital are pointless because the fruit was never there - Yasuho even works this out but is ignored. You could almost skip straight from volume 14 to the guard rail chapter and still be in mostly the same situation - all that's left is to try and cure Holly with the fruit.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Hearing that Jojolion was about to end I decided to read the entire thing. It's weird because I feel like the series largely wrapped up its plot in a satisfying manner somewhere around volume 14, and then spent 13 volumes mostly spinning its wheels.

Like by volume 14 we've already learnt who Josuke is (Josefumi and Kira) and what the deal is with the Higashikata family (Joubin was working with the rock people to smuggle in fruits). We know why Kira was killed, and his killer launched a horrifying attack against the Higashikata family in order to try and finish the job. There are a few loose ends and inconsistencies, but the big questions have been answered and it seems like the bad guys have been defeated. From that point to me the main loose ends to tie up would be 1) a potential betrayal from Joubin, 2) Tsurugi's illness and 3) curing Holly with the fruit.

From it seems like the new villains we get mostly just exist to delay and obstruct the protagonists from achieving that second goal. Their motives aren't very well defined beyond money, and we don't learn who their leader is until we're fighting him (which to me made that feel like an overly long villain of the week fight). They don't really have much connection to the previous storyline about Joubin and the smuggling route, or the trouble Josefumi and Kira found themselves in. In addition both the fights at the hospital are pointless because the fruit was never there - Yasuho even works this out but is ignored. You could almost skip straight from volume 14 to the guard rail chapter and still be in mostly the same situation - all that's left is to try and cure Holly with the fruit.

This post got me thinking, and Part 8 seems like the most currency-focused out of the whole series. I think Araki was trying to tell a story about greed with Jojolion - the main villains are all motivated by money (Damo's team is smuggling fruits for cash, Jobin is helping them to get money and power, Tooru's team is researching the Locacaca to get money and power), and we have two enemy stand encounters based ENTIRELY around greed for money (shakedown road and Milagro Man). Part 7 was about sacrificing for your goals, and I think Part 8 is about sacrificing for others rather than for yourself. The protagonists are all motivated by trying to help out another individual person - early on Yasuho is selflessly helping Gappy, though admittedly Gappy is acting kind of selfish in trying to discover his own identity. However we eventually learn that Kira and Josefumi were both acting selflessly to help Holly - they were trying to get the Locacaca from Damo's team not for greed or money, but for selfless reasons. When Damo attacks them, Josefumi even is tempted with a crisis of conscience to be selfish and sacrifice Kira to save himself, but is saved by Kira's act of self sacrifice. He then sacrifices himself to save Kira in return, birthing Gappy - he literally was born from selfless acts of sacrifice. The Locacaca itself ties into this - the original fruit has you sacrificing a part of yourself solely to help yourself, whereas with the New Locacaca (which was born from Kira and Josefumi's acts of kindness) you sacrifice yourself for the sake of another.

It's probably not a perfect analysis, but I think there's enough there to dig into. And enough to say that the villains all being motivated by moeny works, imo.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 11, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There's also stuff like Damo using dollar bills as a weapon.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What was Gappy's best fight in Jojolion - and was it anywhere near the finale?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Grouchio posted:

He sat out for a lot of the fight, but Josuke kicking Damo's head apart was one of the best moments in JoJolion.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grouchio posted:

I'm going to be unorthodox and say that his best fight is against Ojiro Sasame and Fun Fun Fun.

It's a very unconventional fight that nevertheless has one of the best Stand reveals in the whole series (Shhh... Soft.. & Wet..), a cool and strange mystery (is this actually Yoshikage Kira?!), a bunch of twists and gambits, and ends with Gappy pummeling Ojiro while repeatedly telling Yasuho to look over there. Also Ojiro ate his own fingers, drat.

If the rest of Jojolion had been up to that standard I think it would've been unquestionably the best arc.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Grouchio posted:

The beetle fight between Gappy and Jobin that happens after the battle with Yotsuyu is a high point for sure, just a bizarre amount of subterfuge and maneuvering under the guise of betting on a fight between two beetles

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Huge fan of I Am A Rock just for the end where Josuke responds to a punch rush with a single punch.

TheLoneStar posted:

He sat out for a lot of the fight, but Josuke kicking Damo's head apart was one of the best moments in JoJolion.

Wasn't that Hato?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wasn't that Hato?
She did get a headshot I think, as well as a couple other hits, but Josuke chased Damo out into the streets and finished him off by kicking his head to bits.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I enjoyed the blue hawaii fight

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

TheLoneStar posted:

She did get a headshot I think, as well as a couple other hits, but Josuke chased Damo out into the streets and finished him off by kicking his head to bits.

He punched through Damo's head and it owned

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i forgot he punched damo apart in broad daylight in front of ugly npcs

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

overmind2000 posted:

He punched through Damo's head and it owned
Oops, my bad. Could've sworn it was a kick. Still, one of the best finishers in the Part.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jojo bystanders are the worst people in existence

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

multijoe posted:

Was the ambulance a bystander?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Was the ambulance a bystander?

No, because it was in motion

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
speedwagon was a bystander.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Speedwagon was the best ringside announcer ever

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thinking about that time Narancia sussed out where Clash and Talking Head were because they were the only people who reacted to a child cutting out his tongue on a crowded street. Absolute psycho world

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I figure it's just Araki drawing social commentary on real life people ignoring crazy poo poo happening right under their noses.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Some of my favorite poo poo in Jojo is normal people trying to do normal things while their arms are falling off or some poo poo because of a Stand.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I like how Joseph was clearly bleeding and hosed up and fell off a roof right next to these people during DIO’s World and their reaction was to laugh and ask if he thought he was Santa Claus.

multijoe posted:

“Aah! Aaaahh! I got shot through the chest five times and half of my skull is missing!!”

“Wow, look at that loving IDIOT. Why is he bothering everybody? Oh well, time to go have sex in public or whatever”

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's no winning in the Jojo universe. Stand User? You're going to die horribly. Random bystander? You will also die horribly but you won't even have the courtesy of knowing how.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Some of my favorite poo poo in Jojo is normal people trying to do normal things while their arms are falling off or some poo poo because of a Stand.
Maddest props to Hayato figuring out the workings of Bites the Dust and Stray Cat without seeing a godamn thing

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hayoto wins a Stand battle without having a Stand, he's legit the smartest and most resourceful character in the entire series

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

don't forget like the most hosed up instance where shigechi is halfway imploded and a group of kids ricochet a ball off of him and then call him ugly

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I want more times where a non-stand user takes part in a stand battle

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lucy technically didn't have a Stand yet when she killed Funny Valentine.

Granted the president got better but you get points for trying.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

overmind2000 posted:

The beetle fight between Gappy and Jobin that happens after the battle with Yotsuyu is a high point for sure, just a bizarre amount of subterfuge and maneuvering under the guise of betting on a fight between two beetles

Beetle Tendency is, in my opinion, the best fight in JoJolion, and one of the five best parts in all of JoJo, full stop. Vitamin C is a close second.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

multijoe posted:

One of the worst examples during Part 8 was during the Blue Hawaii fight when the first kid was slamming his face into the woman's car and bleeding heavily. Her only reaction was to yell at him for getting her car dirty.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Vitamin C is easily the best fight in Jojolion imo, but Beetle Tendency is definitely up there. I'd also like to give a shoutout to Poor Tom, it's such a tense fight and there's a lot going on with the three factions of Josuke/Rai, Jobin/Tsurugi, and Poor Tom himself all clashing against one another and trying to come out on top. Setting the orchard on fire is a clever way to learn the location of the branch, Gappy layering his bubbles to remote control where they'll fly similar to Kira remote controlling the air bubbles in the climax of part 4, and the tension of thinking that the bad guys got the branch only for the reveal that Tsurugi was fuckin' with everyone all along.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Speaking of the branch thing, I'm kind of baffled that Josuke and Yasuho never entertained the thought of Tsurugi's Stand being responsible for their conflicting reports on what happened to the branch. They both know full well what his Stand does, but not once in the days after the Poor Tom incident do any of them bring it up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Grouchio posted:

I have purposely never read any of Part 6 except for the very beginning and very end. I hope this was the right decision.

You will never reach truth

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

Her only reaction was to yell at him for getting her car dirty.

Reality has taught me that this is a very realistic response.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wilson Phillips did nothing wrong

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I think one thing that harms JoJolion is the fact that many of the most important plot points (5 major battles, plus half of the Wonder of U fight) happen in the Higashikata estate, and many more either start or end there. This might make it seem as though the story is a lot less dynamic than it really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Wilson Phillips did nothing wrong

He was an american senator so you can safely assume he was a terrible person.