Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Me, a buffoon, just an absolute fool: 'I'll just have a quick look for parts on ebay, I won't spend a lot of money'

I gotta say while I don't like the Lego Friends sets as a whole I love some of the elements. I found someone selling bits of an amusement park set and oh my they had a little spaceship ride that's actually styled after the 90s space sets, but with the Friends colours. It's perfect it even has a little holographic version of the lego space logo. It fits right in with my aims of creating something both nostalgic and fabulous! I also got a pair of bumper cars. There were some nice consession stands too but the Paradisa sets I have are like 50% ice cream stands already. Long term goal: upgrade my ice cream stsnds with the newer ice cream pieces. They tried back then but wine glasses and airport paddles only go so far in replicating an ice cream parlour.

I also found some parts from what looks like a zoo themed set that match the corner pieces of the Dolphin Point Lighthouse. They're in light grey but they have palm trees printed on them so I reckon I can make it work.

I'd like to build up the lighthouse and connect it between its island base and the poolside paradise base. To that end I have a bunch of white and pink bricks on the way. I snaged some Paradisa spares too including more 3 more of the domed window pieces. I think the large and small baseplates from the other sets line up well enough, so I'm aiming to mash this all together into something roughly 3 and a bit baseplates wide with room on either side for boats and windsurfers. Maybe a pier or a little marina would be nice? Need to check how much space I have, legit thinking of putting up a new shelf for this now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My favorite aspects of the Friends sets has been making spaceships with pink and blue all over them. So beautiful, and keeps them from ending up grey or white boxes. Also, the roof pieces tend to make for really good hull curvature.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
My mother bought herself the Typewriter today, I will see if I can convince her to let me assist with any of the bags. She says I can have the Sailboat though, so I’m grateful for that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Mr Phillby posted:

Me, a buffoon, just an absolute fool: 'I'll just have a quick look for parts on ebay, I won't spend a lot of money'

Wish I had been quicker about sorting through this lot I got last weekend. I definitely have that friends amusement park along with other stuff I'd have happily sent for cheap. I've been putting off verifying completion of those and Jurassic world stuff because they were definitely on display and are all dusty as hell.

Last night we got like 98% complete on some Elves dragon sets, but the big light green one is missing its jaw and has big eyelashes so that's hardly threatening. I also realized I don't have 10 different dragons, there's just some Ninjago set with a 4 headed one. Found some neat Marvel minifigs and made Crossbones' Jeep. Now just working on some small city vehicles.

The worst thing about this amazing find is that they clearly bought some massive haul of cheap knockoffs in a ton of colors, so it's just a pain trying to separate them. There's also an NFL vehicle made from the same kind of knockoffs with stickers that span over multiple bricks, so you can never disassemble it without ripping them. One unique thing about it though is the minifig has articulation at the knees which looks weird but is a neat idea I guess.
Edit: figure may be from Oyo

davebo fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 11, 2021

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

davebo posted:

Wish I had been quicker about sorting through this lot I got last weekend. I definitely have that friends amusement park along with other stuff I'd have happily sent for cheap. I've been putting off verifying completion of those and Jurassic world stuff because they were definitely on display and are all dusty as hell.
Thats so kind but don't worry the Friends parts didn't set me back that much! I bought a ton of other parts too.

I looked up those parts I thought came from a zoo set, they're actually from a 90s pirate set: Enchanted Island so thats neat. Relatedly I never had any of the sets with the jungle tribesmen when I was a kid, but they would have fit right in with my VHS of Dumbo and all the weirdly outdated stuff i was exposed to as a kid in the 90s.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mr Phillby posted:

Make sure you're checking bricklink as well, prices tend to be better than eBay.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh cool, the new Harry Potter collector’s set gives you the pieces to make the scarves of any of the 4 houses you want. It doesn’t entirely make sense since the set also includes Harry’s glasses and wand, implying this is his stuff, but whatever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

Oh cool, the new Harry Potter collector’s set gives you the pieces to make the scarves of any of the 4 houses you want. It doesn’t entirely make sense since the set also includes Harry’s glasses and wand, implying this is his stuff, but whatever.

He could have chosen any house, the hat wasn't sure

WHAT IF...? Harry Potter Edition

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

And then the final four-way Harry alternates duel

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RatHat posted:

I'm about to disassemble my Fire Brigade modular set to sell it and I've learned apparently the Dark red pieces have a tendency to break? I know I can contact Lego for replacements but I hope they still have those parts available.

EDIT: Checked Bricklink and thankfully all the dark red pieces are in a ton of sets so it'll be really cheap to buy replacements if necessary.

Turns out this applies to Reddish Brown too. Was disassembling my modular Pet Shop and had a few plates break on me. Thankfully they’re easy to replace but still.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RatHat posted:

It's his owl.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

HootTheOwl posted:

It's his owl.

I mean, with a username like that I guess you’d be the expert.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

It's been ages since I have seen the movies but wasn't it implied that he could have technically been in any house he wanted because he matched up with the primary attribute of each? Could be a neat detail if I am remembering that correctly.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
No it was just Slytherin which he could have fallen into but didn't because he specifically didn't want it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
One of his kids has the same issue, without getting into too much detail about the play.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
How would one go about removing a print from a piece? I’m tired of this ad for Motul on the GT-R hood.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dogen posted:

One of his kids has the same issue, without getting into too much detail about the play.

The play doesn’t matter, it’s fanfic trash. As is she.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

The play doesn’t matter, it’s fanfic trash. As is she.

I agree that she’s the worst but I did enjoy going to see the show. Perhaps the production value papers over the shittiness of it but I had a good time.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

How would one go about removing a print from a piece? I’m tired of this ad for Motul on the GT-R hood.

Soak in warm soapy water for a while, then using Brasso and q-tips you can gently buff it off. Go easy, it can scratch the piece. I've had to use a tooth pick for particularly stubborn bits in the past though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

What about Polish Remover of Nah-Eel?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dogen posted:

What about Polish Remover of Nah-Eel?

Acetone? Never tried it, but wouldn't risk it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Ragequit posted:

It's been ages since I have seen the movies but wasn't it implied that he could have technically been in any house he wanted because he matched up with the primary attribute of each? Could be a neat detail if I am remembering that correctly.

The secret to the sorting hat is that it will put you in whichever house you want, but you have to ask it to.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

ABS dissolves in acetone. Don't use it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Lord Business is the real monster.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

I've used it specifically to erase minifig faces for custom decals. It can get you a clean brick but it is extremely easy to gently caress up the finish. If you want a smooth blank surface for a decal it should be fine as long as you are reasonably careful but I cannot recommend it for anything you don't plan on covering back up.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
LEGO needs to stop using fedex. The delays are getting ridiculous. LEGO is shipping slow enough, but using fedex on top of their slow warehouse exacerbates the problem.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
That’s just a sign that the pandemic is over

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

LEGO needs to stop using fedex. The delays are getting ridiculous. LEGO is shipping slow enough, but using fedex on top of their slow warehouse exacerbates the problem.

Yeah my last two orders took close to three weeks to arrive. It’s rough.

I usually just go to the LEGO store or order off amazon at this point.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I like VIP points but not enough to order from Lego unless it’s a big order or something special (exclusive, whatever)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah my last two orders took close to three weeks to arrive. It’s rough.

I usually just go to the LEGO store or order off amazon at this point.

I was considering it for my last order but didn't want to have to go to the mall and possibly deal with anti-maskers.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Paradisa was a line I always wanted as a kid seeing the toys, but never really got.

Nowadays the colours would make it "girly" but I just wanted cool scenes to reenact Miami Vice reruns I watched at way too young age.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Zedd posted:

Paradisa was a line I always wanted as a kid seeing the toys, but never really got.
Same, except I actually was afraid of it looking too "girly". :sigh:

And while we're on the subject of childhood Lego regrets, I got $100 from my grandpa for a birthday and wanted the Black Seas Barracuda, but my parents convinced me not to spend it all at once, so I got the Caribbean Clipper instead. Never did end up getting the BSB...

e: Also my childhood self would have his goddamn mind blown at how much I'd spend on a big set nowadays.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 14, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Someday I need the Red Beard Runner

Talk about a ship I horned after

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Ugh. “Here’s the Renegade Runner. You now have a pirate ship. Ticket closed.” :negative:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The case worked out real nicely. Great build quality too. Was able to basically get all my SW figures into it sans a bunch of redundant ones, ones that are wrapped up in piloting something anyways, and the Disney SW ones which I don't display (except a couple at the top to pad it out). Price was a bit steep but it's nice to be able to display most of them in such a small space/not have to dust them anymore.

Already had the wall shelf up which worked out nice for the big figs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just :laffo: that they got legendary poster artist Drew Struzan to do this back in the day for Galidor.

https://twitter.com/drewstruzan/status/1426565190401728512?s=21

Galidor. :laugh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry for making this into my personal reorganization blog lol. Really happy with how this came out for the most part. Hate to be closeting so much poo poo but I think it's worth it. Just looks way less messy (although my vision of a lean and mean display did not work out haha) now and of course the whole reason was to find a spot for the ISD. Kind of hate the Falcon being all low and on a shady shelf like that but it'll have to do until I think of a better solution or have more room.

Before

After

....oh god I have to take all of this apart now

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Looks good! Those poor UCS starfighters that didn’t make the cut though :cry:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
veni, have you looked into wall mounting the falcon above the case with the isd on top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's crossed my mind, but I think I'd probably be more likely to put up a heartier wall shelf above it and put the ISD on that and then the Falcon back where it used to be. I'd love to go more vertical with that display but I am sort of stuck with that ugly shelf. My roomate/landlord's family member built it and she asked if I could keep it on my floor and I was "like sure I'll just put Lego on it". But my collection has grown in the last 4 years and I'd love to get some less 90's looking shelving that doesn't weigh a ton and goes higher up. But alas. Whenever I move I think I'll just try to go vertical.

Dogen posted:

Looks good! Those poor UCS starfighters that didn’t make the cut though :cry:

Yeah those were the hard ones to bag and tag, but they will be back...someday.