Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So I took a trip to FL this past weekend to see my nephew and appreciated all the tropical plants, and thought yall might too. I grew up here but did not appreciate the tropical plants we enjoyed, so it was fun to take a look through new eyes, so to speak. We were on Indian Rocks Beach south of Clearwater.

A Pelican chillin' at the Seabird Sanctuary across the street from our rental, in front of some Chinese hibiscus.

A dying Agave with an absolutely enormous death bloom

Was more than two stories tall.

Black vulture of some kind in a very mature Schleffera. They were all over the Seabird Sanctuary near the beach.

Bromeliads at a plant place we found - Island Bamboo in Pinellas Park. It was the only plant store we had time to check out and holy poo poo were we not disappointed.

Trailing arrowheads (or a blushing philo? couldn't tell) at Island Bamboo, in the 'employees only' area I guess I missed the sign for.

Blooming hoya at Island Bamboo, attached to the largest hoya I have ever seen. More than 6ft tall on a trellis and thick as hell.

huge

Just a neat bromeliad and hoya pole they had set up, Island Bamboo

Some pretty Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum, I think anyway. It grew outdoors all over the landscaped properties near the beach, I never thought twice about seeing it as a kid.

3 ft tall or so red congo philo in front of some huge bamboo clumps, Island Bamboo

Pretty anthurium leaves

Plant app called this Princess Flower, or Tibouchina urvilleana. The leaves were cool as poo poo, I wish we had a car big enough to transport it.

A kayak full of golden pothos

A monstera deliciosa happily growing on an oak tree, Island Bamboo

Other side of the same tree, with some string of nickels and an impressive staghorn fern.

An impressively sized staghorn fern at Island Bamboo. I was really impressed with this guy until I noticed what was behind it....

....which was this 7-8ft tall wonder. This thing had its own little ecosystem inside it, complete with other plants growing out of its shield leaves, moss, and a lot of happy insects. This thing was cool as poo poo.

Just some happy white birds of paradise at a minigolf course. These things were *everywhere*, I think the most mature one I saw had a legit wooded trunk and was easily 25ft tall. Was driving and couldn't get a picture :(.

Some happy fiddle leaf figs growing in someone's driveway next to the coffee shop we stopped at.

Patio area of the coffee shop we were hanging at. Dwarf umbrellas, banana tree, crotons, palms, and a mature golden pothos on the house in the back.

Anyways that's my story, I hope you enjoyed my plant pictures.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

^^^ Staghorn fern is cool indeed.

Jhet posted:

I did 2k miles last year in May with a van full of plants (including that coffee tree, it’s very heavy) and they all made it okay. I just had to pay attention to their water needs changing and it was just fine for four days. You can definitely manage that really awesome tank of stuff.

Sweet. I am getting all my succs moved professionally (they promise 2-3 day delivery), but the vivaria I am taking myself. Along with my pseudolithos seedlings, cuz holy crap this is a finicky plant.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

pokie posted:

Along with my pseudolithos seedlings, cuz holy crap this is a finicky plant.

I really try to avoid plants that small as much as possible though I do occasionally get tricked by a shithead mislisting things on Etsy or whatever.

pokie posted:

Sweet. I am getting all my succs moved professionally (they promise 2-3 day delivery), but the vivaria I am taking myself. Along with my pseudolithos seedlings, cuz holy crap this is a finicky plant.

Do they move a lot of plants? I'd be afraid of things cooking in a truck during this part of the year, as well as stuff getting crushed by its own substrate unless you're going to bare root them all or something.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Wallet posted:

I really try to avoid plants that small as much as possible though I do occasionally get tricked by a shithead mislisting things on Etsy or whatever.

I used to have a large adult plant that I promptly murdered. I grew these guys from seed.

Wallet posted:

Do they move a lot of plants? I'd be afraid of things cooking in a truck during this part of the year, as well as stuff getting crushed by its own substrate unless you're going to bare root them all or something.

I don't think they do, but I don't really have a better option. I have 100+ plants and so I am not moving them on my own; I don't really have the time and energy to bare root everything and then replant it. I am just hoping it will mostly work out. A couple days shouldn't be that bad.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
my plant/pet menagerie has p much guaranteed that I never move out of New England anytime soon

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ok Comboomer posted:

my plant/pet menagerie has p much guaranteed that I never move out of New England anytime soon

We are also moving 5 vivariums, three of which have lizards and 1 - fish. But we are moving those ourselves in the car. It's gonna be quite an adventure.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pokie posted:

We are also moving 5 vivariums, three of which have lizards and 1 - fish. But we are moving those ourselves in the car. It's gonna be quite an adventure.

lmao. I have 4 rabbits, 2 fish, and 2 painted turtles. Used to have a forest scorp but I downsized because keeping feeder bugs sucks, and esp when you have other needy pets and also roommates. Almost agreed to foster a tokay recently before I came to my goddamn senses

also before anybody from fish thread asks, the nano reef went bust for the last time around the holidays, 10gal is just too much of a bitch to maintain parameters for, esp when renting and you can't do your own RODI

pokie posted:

I hope this survives my upcoming 700 mile move

anybody live in that one?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ok Comboomer posted:

anybody live in that one?

Not yet. We are on an eternal wait list for a tailless whip scorpion (Amblypygi).

I am guessing the reef was too small? I am vaguely interested in trying a more conventionally sized one after I move, but... We'll see.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pokie posted:

Not yet. We are on an eternal wait list for a tailless whip scorpion (Amblypygi).

I am guessing the reef was too small? I am vaguely interested in trying a more conventionally sized one after I move, but... We'll see.

yeah, the water level drops by a small amount and your salinity spikes and then poo poo dies which causes more poo poo to die in such a small space, not worth it. I wish I'd gone with 20gal or larger but I'm not really interested in having to gently caress with saltwater again while I live at this current place

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah, the water level drops by a small amount and your salinity spikes and then poo poo dies which causes more poo poo to die in such a small space, not worth it. I wish I'd gone with 20gal or larger but I'm not really interested in having to gently caress with saltwater again while I live at this current place

That sounds rough. We have a vaguely similar problem in our paludarium. We've decided to move the remaining fish out before the move and just keep them out.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I was hoping to get some advice about pruning a cherry tree (Prunus
subhirtella ‘Autumnalis’). We got it last winter as a bare root sapling and we've planted it in the corner of the garden. I'm figuring it's going to need to be pruned at some point as it's got branches coming off all round kinda like a bottle brush? Or will it shape itself naturally? It's right up against the fence so it'll have to clear the fence before it can spread sideways. Help?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah I had no fruiting aspirations... until you planted the seed of grafted tree.

We barely have enough space in our south-facing living room for my fiddle leaf figs and yucca canes in winter, but if these things are genuinely cold-hardy, it could live on the porch...

Down to eighteen degrees Fahrenheit for some members of the Mexican subspecies.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

I was hoping to get some advice about pruning a cherry tree (Prunus
subhirtella ‘Autumnalis’). We got it last winter as a bare root sapling and we've planted it in the corner of the garden. I'm figuring it's going to need to be pruned at some point as it's got branches coming off all round kinda like a bottle brush? Or will it shape itself naturally? It's right up against the fence so it'll have to clear the fence before it can spread sideways. Help?

If it's too tight up against the fence it may end up growing really crooked to get itself some sun but if you've given it a reasonable clearance it should mostly be okay. It's likely you'll eventually want to limb it up but if it was a sapling a year ago it's probably nowhere near old enough to do that.

There's a couple of solid primers on how and why (and how much) to prune trees linked in the third post of the thread

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

This cute little Fenestraria rhopalophylla I've had for a while decided unexpectedly to flower.

(The one in the front is dragging rear end instead of rooting and getting plump like his friends. No idea why.)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Are flies attracted to fallen crape myrtle flowers? One side of our house is nothing but gravel and stone but is currently covered in fallen crape myrtle flowers. There are flies everywhere on the ground. Nothing else is there to attract them. I thought maybe they ferment or have nectar the flies like? I just found it weird and am curious if it really is the flowers attracting them.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Is softened water (added Na ions) bad for plants?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

pokie posted:

Is softened water (added Na ions) bad for plants?

I mean, in general I would assume plants aren't going to enjoy the extra salt.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Wallet posted:

Yeah. Not as great as water that’s salt-free. I water all of my plants except my xerographica and orchids with softened water.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Yeah. Not as great as water that’s salt-free. I water all of my plants except my xerographica and orchids with softened water.

I used to water my phals with bottled water and then I started using hard Boston area tap water and they seem to like it just fine

On the other hand, my birds nest + other ferns have been outside since May/June and they seem to really love the rainwater compared to the stuff from the tap. My ferns used to get a lot of leaf tip burn and that’s gone entirely away since they went outside

And then in the middle we got my crassulas, who seemed relatively fine either way, but they used to sweat a lot of salts and you’d see them covered in little white deposit spots. And maybe they didn’t grow as fast as they do now?—but that’s probably because God’s just generally much better at keeping them lit and hydrated than I am. It’s hard to determine if the water change has had any real effect when they’re just so happy to be outside in general

Not sure, but I think I’m gonna try to do rainwater collection once all the houseplants come inside

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There really is something magical about rainwater. Maybe it has more oxygen in it? little nutrients it picks up from the air on the way down? I have no idea, but ime hose water will keep stuff alive and it'll do okay, but rain is what really makes poo poo grow

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There really is something magical about rainwater. Maybe it has more oxygen in it? little nutrients it picks up from the air on the way down? I have no idea, but ime hose water will keep stuff alive and it'll do okay, but rain is what really makes poo poo grow

it’s all the pollution, plants live for that poo poo

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Ok Comboomer posted:

it’s all the pollution, plants live for that poo poo

for real, plants gobble up those nitrates

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Wallet posted:

:puts on pedant goggles: Na is not salt.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Cactus Dungeon Summer 2021, Pt 1:

Ok Comboomer posted:

y'all are real loving cute

(the little leggy weirdo in the upper right was purchased for its flowers and its kids, I'm not that bad at cacti, I swear)

(I lied, I am that bad at cacti, those etiolated-rear end opuntias are super embarassing. I let them go out of curiosity but I really, seriously, have to cut those lobes off and try propagating them. The bottom plants aren't growing any "normal" lobes like I hoped, so the tall pieces have to go to reset them)

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm not convinced that this is down to what's in the water as opposed to the way that rain is distributed and behaves etc vs watering via a hose. I also generally only water plants with the hose if it's not raining for extended periods and the conditions during those periods are different in ways beyond the amount of water falling from the sky.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Your home depot gets way cooler poo poo than mine. Also I kind of like the silly baseball bat opuntias :shrug:. My cacti seem to do pretty well indoors in general, but I will say that pruned/fallen cladodes seem to root themselves way better for me in the full blazing rear end sun which doesn't seem like it should work that way.

Also my dudes outdoors are mostly doing pretty good so far:

Wallet posted:

Some Cylindropuntia went in this spring:

Two different forms of leptocaulis

kleiniae

chonky imbricata var. aborescens

Along with a couple of Echinocereus:

fendleri

triglochidiatus var. mojavensis f. inermis

I found this Opuntia humifusa at a local nursery in June:

And then earlier this week got a few more in:

Maihueniopsis darwinii cv. Big Orange—the cladode on the left is overplanted because it fell off and it needs to root itself.

Same for this Opuntia fragilis var. denuda.

Aloinopsis luckhoffii

Wallet fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 12, 2021

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Thanks for posting in my thread :).

I like the dork in the 6th photo. Some sort of Euphorbia?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

Your home depot gets way cooler poo poo than mine. Also I kind of like the silly baseball bat opuntias :shrug:. My cacti seem to do pretty well indoors in general, but I will say that pruned/fallen cladodes seem to root themselves way better for me in the full blazing rear end sun which doesn't seem like it should work that way.

well that’s because I don’t go to one Home Depot. Also a lot of those guys are from Lowe’s.

Jokes aside, a lot of them are from real plant stores and sellers. Some of my favorite specimens have come from Mahoney’s, if you’re looking for a tier-1 MA plant store.

WRT the opuntias:

Ok Comboomer posted:

I picked them up at 1/2 price in like April or May and they already had those long pads, but they were small and thin, only a couple of inches. I figured they’d either fatten/round up or more pads would pop up around them.

I put ‘em outside but the pads just kept getting longer and eventually fatter and I just kept wanting to see where it would go. In hindsight I kinda regret that choice because there’s clearly a lot of wasted biomass and growth in those pads.

pokie posted:

I like the dork in the 6th photo. Some sort of Euphorbia?

Euphorbia horrida

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I have not yet begun to succ

Behold, my evolved form

the azaleas and schefflera obv aren't succulents, they're on the table to escape the biting destruction wrought by Sylvilagus floridanus, which is also what happened to the formerly lovely Gasteria verrucosa in the front left of picture 1 and the fairy washboard that you can kinda see next to the aloe with the big tall flower spike

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

mmm, haworthia looking juicy

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hi guys I'm new to cacti and they are fun and cool. 👋

Here's the start of my new cactus collection it is a trichocereus bridgesii I found at a local nursery a month ago. It has an echinopsis oxygona buddy (not pictured) nearby. The nursery wasn't taking the best care of it so the coloring isn't great but it doesn't have severe etiolation or anything that I can tell beyond some burn scars.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Wallet posted:

Also my dudes outdoors are mostly doing pretty good so far:

Ok Comboomer posted:

Behold, my evolved form

Those are some very excellent collections!

These are my cactus friends.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Yoruichi posted:

Those are some very excellent collections!

These are my cactus friends.

Really nice striping on that Gymnocalycium. Some kind of hybrid or sumfin?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Here's the start of my new cactus collection it is a trichocereus bridgesii I found at a local nursery a month ago. It has an echinopsis oxygona buddy (not pictured) nearby. The nursery wasn't taking the best care of it so the coloring isn't great but it doesn't have severe etiolation or anything that I can tell beyond some burn scars.

It seems happy! The burns are barely noticeable and it looks like it's been putting on some serious growth.

I will do my cactus duty by recommending you look into a gritty mix if you want to keep them happy indoorside.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
Someone please tell me if this is a terrible idea. My space is a smallish east-facing walled patio in zone 10a.

I foraged some Quercus agrifolia acorns last October and tried to germinate them overwinter using various techniques (stratification vs. non-strat, sycamore leaf vs. pine needle mulches). Only one 3gal pot (non-strat w/ sycamore mulch) survived, and there are now three baby Quercus ranging in height from about 7 to 16 inches. They are healthy and have been pushing out new growth all spring and summer. I would love to grow them as big as I can in this space. I've heard they really dislike being repotted and frequently die. HOWEVER, I know that it's also better to repot sooner rather than later so that the taproot has room to do its thing. I'm also extremely emotionally attached to them as my only surviving babies.

Here's where the bad idea may come in. I have a Penstemon heterophyllus planted off-center in a 14"d x 11"h terracotta pot, which I am also emotionally attached to since I have killed many many CA native plants over the last couple years. I previously had a small Fuchsia californica and Erigeron glaucus in that same pot as well, but they died fairly swiftly. The Penstemon hasn't flowered yet, but it's looking nice and seems to appreciate the space without the Fuchsia and Erigeron crowding it. I only have room for one terracotta of this size on my patio, so getting another pot of similar size for the oaks would mean that I would need to downgrade the Penstemon to a smaller pot. I also read that Penstemon is a nice understory species under oak, although of course it will be years til that happens.

Would it be a terrible idea to pot out the baby Quercus (one or all) into this big terracotta along with the Penstemon? Perhaps by taking the Penstemon out and resettling everyone, or would it be less disturbing to make planting holes and pop the oak(s) in since the Penstemon is already off-center? Should I transfer the baby oaks into the pot and put the Penstemon somewhere else? And if it'll be okay to put them all together, should I make this happen sooner rather than later, or should I wait until fall to reduce the heat stress and grouchiness of being moved?

Thank you :)

snailshell fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 15, 2021

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Local nursery had some vanilla orchids, so I grabbed one and looking forward to the challenge of raising this thing. I have it hanging in the bathroom right now in front of a South facing window, so I think it should be pretty happy.

Don't judge me for my filthy kitchen counter please.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wallet posted:

Really nice striping on that Gymnocalycium. Some kind of hybrid or sumfin?

It seems happy! The burns are barely noticeable and it looks like it's been putting on some serious growth.

I will do my cactus duty by recommending you look into a gritty mix if you want to keep them happy indoorside.

Thank you and thanks for the gritty tip! Gonna grab some now. :)

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I find myself googling various plants/cultivars all the time because I don't trust nursery labels or listings to not stretch hardiness or sun requirements to sell more (anyone putting Sun to Shade on a plant label is a butthole) and they're often missing important pieces of information like flowering season or whatever. Of course often what you get when you type a plant name into google is a bunch of nurseries selling it.

So I set up one of the little programmable search things google offers to only search through sites that have high quality and generally complete information, while filtering out (as much as possible) things that aren't specific plant listings. I have no idea if anyone else will get any use out of it, but it's here.

Currently searches:
missouribotanicalgarden.org
gardenia.net
plants.ces.ncsu.edu
onlineplantguide.com
garden.org (sometimes their poo poo is incomplete but they often have the only listing for weird cultivars)
wildflower.org
monrovia.com
worldofsucculents.com
llifle.com

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wallet posted:

I find myself googling various plants/cultivars all the time because I don't trust nursery labels or listings to not stretch hardiness or sun requirements to sell more (anyone putting Sun to Shade on a plant label is a butthole) and they're often missing important pieces of information like flowering season or whatever. Of course often what you get when you type a plant name into google is a bunch of nurseries selling it.

So I set up one of the little programmable search things google offers to only search through sites that have high quality and generally complete information, while filtering out (as much as possible) things that aren't specific plant listings. I have no idea if anyone else will get any use out of it, but it's here.

Currently searches:
missouribotanicalgarden.org
gardenia.net
plants.ces.ncsu.edu
onlineplantguide.com
garden.org (sometimes their poo poo is incomplete but they often have the only listing for weird cultivars)
wildflower.org
monrovia.com
worldofsucculents.com
llifle.com

This is a cool idea. I have found Altman's website helpful as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Through a series of Googling that started with plague masks, I ended up on this series of videos about growing dandelions for the production of rubber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bBoKy9XLNo

This video is the most horticulturally interesting. The rest of the series is hosted by the same account and it’s the only thing on that account as of this writing.

This Continental Tire PR pieces has a look at the commerical process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1_94Uvx15k

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 18, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is a cool idea. I have found Altman's website helpful as well.

Pretty decent, yeah. I added it into the search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Big grow light energy.