Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Strategic Tea posted:

Why do they have to use this absurd sanitised language instead of just saying 'there was a sex creep who made other contributors uncomfortable, too many people expressed displeasure so we booted the weirdo'?

If that is even what happened, it's 11.50 and I couldn't slog to the end of that blending of corporate press release and Oprah interview.

I don't care too much to read more into it than I already have, but it seems more like the person being called a creep is only guilty of writing the same sort of 'problematic' fanfic that Muir herself wrote in the past, and for which she was harassed off the internet/to the point of suicidal ideation (by the same sort of purity culture assholes coming after this person).

Thant's my impression from a 5-minute skim of that post and thread at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yep that's the gist of it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ahhh that's even worse I at least thought they might be right

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
tumblr fanfic communities: not even once.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Sooo, just finished Harrow and .. that feeling as you close the book, the long exhale, the almost goose-bumpy feeling that indicates something special has occurred. What a wild intense ride. I have not felt this involved and excited by a new author/book series since Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy., but at least with that I had a complete story, now I'm like WTF at that epilogue and still sorting out some stuff in my mind and loving can't wait until the next book.

As an aside one of my favorite things was how she characterized the God Emperor as this wonderful combination of regular person but godlike-powerful entity. Also I am a hugely visual reader so usually "cast" actors in books for the major parts and he was soooo Colin Farrell.

AcidCat fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 13, 2021

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

AcidCat posted:

As an aside one of my favorite things was how she characterized the God Emperor as this wonderful combination of regular person but godlike-powerful entity. Also I am a hugely visual reader so usually "cast" actors in books for the major parts and he was soooo Colin Farrell.

Come on, he's clearly Taika Waititi

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

cptn_dr posted:

I love this person but.. no. LOL

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
No no, he's your dad, with a kiwi accent.

Whether you like him or not. :colbert:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

AcidCat posted:

I love this person but.. no. LOL

I'll also accept Shortland Street-era Temuera Morrison, or Cliff Curtis of any age.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

cptn_dr posted:

literally hitler was not my mental image of the necrolord prime a few minutes ago, but it makes a horrifying amount of sense?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Māori Dadjoke Hitler is not an inaccurate description

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Right, that's where I read the name of the next book.

"The Reverend Daughter Harrowhark Nonagesimus ought to have been the 311th Reverend Mother of her line. She was the eighty-seventh Nona of her House; she was the first Harrowhark."

Italics in the book itself...

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

For some reason I had him as Idris Elba

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Gideon the Ninth & Knuckles

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I thought we established it was Ed Helms? Where’s that tweet…

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

To me he's that artist's rendition of Julius Caesar as Some Guy:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

And the Saint of Duty is obviously Dave Bautista

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm rereading harrow, and the pure humor of lines like

"Harrow stepped forward, trying to place herself between the sightline of the Second cavalier and her own. But she moved to protect the wrong cavalier. Her cavalier cleared his throat—oh, drat:" followed by Noniad recitation.

Just amazing. Ortus was a treasure.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

silvergoose posted:

I'm rereading harrow, and the pure humor of lines like

"Harrow stepped forward, trying to place herself between the sightline of the Second cavalier and her own. But she moved to protect the wrong cavalier. Her cavalier cleared his throat—oh, drat:" followed by Noniad recitation.

Just amazing. Ortus was a treasure.

There’s so much in Harrow to love. I absolutely want to see Tamsyn write a full version of the marriage mart.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Who cares about that, I want the entire Noniad.

Yes, all of it.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

AcidCat posted:

And the Saint of Duty is obviously Dave Bautista

Ortus Nigenad I had pictured as the templar guardian of the holy grail in the third Indiana Jones movie

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Ventral EggSac posted:

Ortus Nigenad I had pictured as the templar guardian of the holy grail in the third Indiana Jones movie

Wait that old rear end dude in the cave? Ortus was like early thirties wasn't he? I pictured him as Chris Pratt

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

AcidCat posted:

Wait that old rear end dude in the cave? Ortus was like early thirties wasn't he? I pictured him as Chris Pratt

I'm so mean because of all the references to his bulk in combination with the armor made me think of depressed Siegmeyer from Dark Souls with skull paint instead of a helmet

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I have always pictured Ortus as basically John Bradley without a beard.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I thought Muir made the God Emperor to be more like Steve Jobs... always in black comfortable clothing carrying a tablet and styluses around, looking weirdly regular around a bunch of subordinates

I'm only like, 1/3 through the book though

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Yeah I'm starting to see my brain has been going its own way vis a vis descriptions of characters, outside of Harrow and Gideon

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

And, of course, Naberius Tern was a huge monitor lizard.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I kept imagining John as John from Homestuck.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

...is that meant to be a joke about Taz's writing origins

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1429847385908432899?s=20

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

That seems so very far away.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wasn't it alecto?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

sebmojo posted:

Wasn't it alecto?

Yes, but it got so long that its now two books.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Alecton't

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

sebmojo posted:

Wasn't it alecto?

Alecto is now the fourth book in the trilogy.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
the locked tomb trilogy (iin)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DurianGray posted:

Alecto is now the fourth book in the trilogy.

Tetralogy. Or quadrilogy if you don't mind mixing Latin prefixes with Greek suffixes.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
I hope it runs to be six or seven books long and is still called a trilogy. Not even "the increasingly misnamed trilogy" like Douglas Adams, just a good old seven book trilogy, because why not.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean rightfully speaking it ought to be a nonolagy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
spoilers