Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002

Goddamnit I just got a kitten a week ago. If anything happens to her, I will go to war.

Her name is Sputnik. She lives on my shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Nine Inch Nails fan?
Adam Curtis tends to use a lot of Reznor's ambient tracks for his documentaries.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Nine Inch Nails fan?

Congrats on your 1000th post. :toot:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

everyone has definitely decided that we need to live with the virus. everyone thinks that we are going to be okay with that. I don’t think we will be, it’s a lot of dead people including kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4FZaLEjw9Y

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Elea posted:

Yeah this is the next big assumption people should be questioning. It's going to be a popular "fact" as people try to spin endemic COVID-19 as okay. But maybe the virus just becomes more deadly as the more virulent strains are selected because the increased damage is a byproduct. Maybe it doesn't actually have a mechanism for becoming less deadly available to it.

There is some evidence to support weakening of viruses over time. Our immune system has proteins that systematically edit foreign looking RNA to weaken it, for example.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7643664/

So really the question is can SARS-CoV-2 gain fitness faster than we can weaken it. No one knows, but my speculation is that because SARS-CoV-2 has been training on bat immune systems it will be pretty good at what it does.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

McMaster imo

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So any word on how the delta vaccine's coming along?

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

astronautism posted:

Goddamnit I just got a kitten a week ago. If anything happens to her, I will go to war.

Her name is Sputnik. She lives on my shoulder.

Perfection

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Google Butt posted:

keep me abreast of the Nutella supply thank you

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

palm oil is harvested mostly by slaves who are probably dying in droves from covid so

Rigoni Di Asiago Nocciolata Hazelnut Spread uses sunflower oil. Now nobody tell me that's harvested by slaves, too.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

just saw an ad for that free guy movie bragging about how it’s only in theaters

yeah, let me roll out and melt my lungs for this inexplicable ten years too late feeling video game movie

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

super sweet best pal posted:

So any word on how the delta vaccine's coming along?
Pfizer already completed their Delta-specific candidate which will be tested by BioNTech shortly. Results of the testing are expected by the end of the year.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

So they approved the additional shots for solid organ transplant patients and other similarly immunocompromised people and they're going to decide on less severely compromised people in the morning? Sure, I guess I can wait another few hours to find out if I'm getting a booster.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Glumwheels posted:

Nice the FDA midnight clears booster shots for immunocompromised but no direction on what to do.

So, I’m on meds known to gently caress with the vaccine response. Idk if I should switch to moderna from pfizer or get a 3rd pfizer. Last time I cut my meds for two weeks but it didn’t really do much of anything. My doctor doesn’t know what to do or say.

Dunno what meds you're on but here's a list of a bunch and recommendations for what to do: https://creakyjoints.org/living-wit...vid-19-vaccine/

Last time I didn't delay my humira dose and I didn't take my NSAID on the day of and for four days after. All I got was muscle soreness so hopefully it did something. Studies aren't very encouraging with biological arthritis meds. Like reduced effectiveness overall and some people didn't develop any antibodies. It's been a while since I looked but it was a small sample size (and mostly women for some reason) so who knows if the data even means anything. I've been staying home and using my respirator to go grocery shopping, just assuming I'm still vulnerable.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

cenotaph posted:

So they approved the additional shots for solid organ transplant patients and other similarly immunocompromised people and they're going to decide on less severely compromised people in the morning? Sure, I guess I can wait another few hours to find out if I'm getting a booster.

I mean, you should absolutely get a booster whether or not they approve them. They aren't even pretending they might be dangerous anymore, they're acknowledging that everyone is going to get them eventually and just deciding who gets them first:

I really wouldn't recommend waiting for however long it takes for them to get approved for the general public, especially if you're five or six months out from your second dose and/or got anything but Moderna.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

mod sassinator posted:

that mutation still has to out compete delta, and so far delta has been a real mother to beat. it's pushed out P1, B.1.351 and all kinds of other nasty stuff. I'd honestly worry a lot more about whatever strain comes after delta, because it's going to have to be even more transmissible or totally subvert existing antibodies

Why outcompete when recombination is on the table?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I mean, you should absolutely get a booster whether or not they approve them. They aren't even pretending they might be dangerous anymore, they're acknowledging that everyone is going to get them eventually and just deciding who gets them first:

I really wouldn't recommend waiting for however long it takes for them to get approved for the general public, especially if you're five or six months out from your second dose and/or got anything but Moderna.

I just want to do it legit if I can so I don't have to have an awkward conversation with my rheumatologist.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
was thinking back on this

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1233134710638825473

the cdc shouldn't be as inconsistent and loving outright untrustworthy as it is sometimes. its infuriating

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

rip fauci banned from d&d thread

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
is there any good COVID related erotica?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

glory holes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

(safely)

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

A few free here, with donations to charity encouraged:
https://www.chucktingle.com/getwellsoon.html

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
it’s sort of ironic that multiple state medical systems are going to collapse today, Friday the 13th.

I need some edibles like now. gently caress.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pillowpants posted:

it’s sort of ironic that multiple state medical systems are going to collapse today, Friday the 13th.

oh wait i think we predicted this like two weeks ago

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

YOU MOTHERFUCKERS THAT'S NOT HOW THAT WORKS!!!

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Schnorkles posted:

no there is absolutely nothing random about selective pressure.

viruses don't really care about killing us, they "want" to be successful and replicate. the most successful viruses are those that don't actually kill their hosts.

it's not like a law or something like that, but the most successful influenza viruses are the ones that are just annoying enough to get you sick but not actually put you down for the count or anything.

uh if you haven’t noticed, the virus still spreads when it kills people 6 weeks after spreading through the hosts melted lungs and drifting out into the air for more hosts to feed on

there’s no genetic code in viruses that says "dont kill"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Pillowpants posted:

There's a reason I am up at 5am processing weed into oil instead of sleeping.

Work doesn't matter today for Reasons, and my usual Friday activity of playing fuckin Magic cards (a thing I'd done again 3 times this summer, since COVID started) is iced again because case counts here are indeed exploding and the dude who runs the store won't mandate masks even though his staff is fine with it. He's a weird dude and I'm suspicious he never got jabbed himself. Just had a messy divorce, at one point he was trying to solicit my aid in finding a "darknet hacker" to find evidence of child abuse on his ex wife's phone or some poo poo; I gave him Tex Avery moon-sized eyes and told him to call the fuckin cops.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

YOU MOTHERFUCKERS THAT'S NOT HOW THAT WORKS!!!

lol everyone is doing it constantly

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

quote:

Queens out of COVID beds. Straub opening up 2nd dedicated COVID unit
Not public news. Just reporting what I see at work and from colleagues.

Get your shots. Sorry if you’re waiting for a new hip or knee. Good luck all.✌️

Edit: I just want to point out part of why having this influx of COVID patients is having a huge strain on our healthcare system.

COVID pts tend to clog up the system and linger in the hospital for a LONG time compared to your avg pt. A lot of the patients coming in have high oxygen needs and it takes the better part of 2 weeks to wean them off. Some need ICU care and need even MORE time to recover. However, even mild cases can jam us up. Once they’re ready to be discharged another barrier is if we can even send them home. Many of these pts are old/weak (doesn’t help they just experienced a severe illness) and some need short term rehab but pretty much only Hale Nani accepts active COVID pts. Once they tell us “nah no more” then we’re stuck with a bunch of “recovered” COVID pts until either:

Hold them to give enough physical therapy in-hospital to be deemed safe at home alone

Tune them up enough so family and home heath svcs can assist them at home

Wait out the infectious period and find a SNF willing to accept a pt who literally just had COVID

So yeah - as you can see- there is a severe bottleneck

things' going well in hawaii!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stereotype posted:

lol everyone is doing it constantly

"thread is consistently two weeks ahead of the mainstream" continues to hold true

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's CDC national forecasts update day!! :woop: :woop:

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1425926264800620550

I just got off my rear end and made some gifs comparing today's cases forecast model to the previous 5 weeks worth of forecasts

Ha ha ha look at how much I had to smoosh down the earlier graphs and then stretch out the later graphs to make them all fit in the same image and be somewhat legible, the amount the y-axis increases each time is just goddamn hilarious. :v:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m so mad. we are having a birthday gathering for my son on Sunday - all fully vaxxed people who haven’t really done anything.

and then my cousin reveals her boss tested positive on Tuesday, last night and says she feels fine and would still be coming. oh no you loving won’t.

Oh and then she revealed she hasn’t had a vaccine yet. I’m about to cancel the party.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
every year 35k people die in car accidents. but don't worry! americans take around 350 billion car trips a year! that means your chances of dying if you are in a car crash are only 0.00001%! you can smash your car into whatever you want, it's actually very safe.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Forseti posted:

My understanding is that the patent doesn't really matter right now because the supply of the needed materials is constrained anyway. But yeah, it absolutely should be made public and it's still monstrous to keep it under wraps.

Pretty sure they made this up, honestly. They did the same song and dance when South Africa asked for patent relieve in the Aids crisis and after decades worth of billionaire philanthropy you have to give the ratio of HIV positive patients for every study you do there.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's CDC national forecasts update day!! :woop: :woop:

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1425926264800620550

I just got off my rear end and made some gifs comparing today's cases forecast model to the previous 5 weeks worth of forecasts

Ha ha ha look at how much I had to smoosh down the earlier graphs and then stretch out the later graphs to make them all fit in the same image and be somewhat legible, the amount the y-axis increases each time is just goddamn hilarious. :v:

dude nice work! also lmao

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aussies never miss a chance to take a swing at Kiwis

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Western Australia is looking to permit interstate travel for vaccinated individuals in what is ostensibly an otherwise covid0 approach because nobodys got the memo that vaccination only does so much to prevent delta's spread

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

Pretty sure they made this up, honestly. They did the same song and dance when South Africa asked for patent relieve in the Aids crisis and after decades worth of billionaire philanthropy you have to give the ratio of HIV positive patients for every study you do there.

US pharma companies also claimed that Africans wouldn't be able to adhere to the strict regimen of AIDS medications because they didn't know how to keep time because they were too poor to have clocks and watches, so it was useless to try and provide the medications for them anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
well now that the hospitals are already nearly loving full i bet our state is going to do something to flatten the curve!

"Governor Mispoke, New Restrictions Don't Apply to Churches posted:

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - On Wednesday, the governor’s office corrected a statement Ige made on Tuesday about the new COVID restrictions applying to churches — they don’t.

Churches are exempt from the new gathering limits. The religious community is happy about that.

“The mandate is a bit confusing. I believe not just for the churches, but for the people of Hawai’i as well,” said Kipi Higa, New Hope Kahului Senior Pastor.

Higa said he’s glad the governor retracted his statement because the pastor feels houses of worship are different.

“There is an overreach on behalf of the government. The way that we meet here at church is, we meet with freedom. So if people want to gather together masked, or unmasked, they’re free to do so, if they want to sit right next to each other or social distance, they’re free to do so,” Higa said.

But churches aren’t exempt from infections.

In the past month, the Department of Health has reported clusters linked to places of worship in all four main counties.

Higa says that doesn’t mean churches should face restrictions.

“Some of our critics who say you’re dangerous, but we believe that the people are smart, and wise, and they can regulate their own health.”

The state still has indoor mask and social-distancing mandates, but Higa said the government doesn’t have jurisdiction over churches.

“It’s within our rights, our God-given rights, and the constitution which the government should be supporting. And so, because of that, I believe they did the right thing to say that we can gather, because we should be able to gather,” he said.

lmao