Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Least I know what I’m probably doing tomorrow night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Horizon Burning posted:

the english dub is a little weird

I may be hallucinating but i swear i saw rumors of a 'universal redub' that re-establishes dub consistency across the Rebuilds

NGL i feel like amazon going whole hog on the dub/sub budget for this one indicates they learned from the trash fire that was the netflix original 26 dub

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the 3.33 dub script seems basically the same as the existing one, whereas the first two were obviously different -- but i think the script is still a bit clearer about a few things here and there (third impact/near-third is still ambiguous.) the EoE fuyutsuki feels like he was cast for this film in particular, he's got a nice delivery for old, tired fuyutsuki.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I hope the original series blu-ray doesn't cost like 5,000 bucks

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

The urge to dump weird Eva memes is strong
https://twitter.com/crazyjc1/status/1326982935963185152

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Roth posted:

I hope the original series blu-ray doesn't cost like 5,000 bucks

GKids is pretty normal for Blu-ray pricing, $25-30 for a movie and I feel like they go on sale pretty often too, they definitely discount t the Ghibli movies more than Disney did when they have the rights. I feel like even if they go all out with the packaging it would be no more than $200 and I bet if it’s just a regular box it doesn’t even hit three digits. It helps that they seem to actually care about the fans and the movies they distribute and they’re not gonna run their hands together as they put out a barebones set for $Everything just because they know US Eva fans would probably pay it without thinking.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Just watched the last one again since seeing it opening night in Japan

It was cool to see all the little dialogue bits I missed, but cooler to see that I got most of it on my first watch

A good and fitting end to rebuild

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

wanna say it's midnight local time too. asia/pacific people have had it for a whole day now i think

I'm staying up for it. No morning meetings and I'm ahead on hours this pay period.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i don't think i can watch it tonight even though it's sitting there ready to click.

why am i so sad that this stupid robot anime is finally done forever

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It was worth the wait.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Looking forward to checking it out this weekend

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Me: Oh awesome, it comes out at midnight, I have an hour and a half till bedtime so I can watch it and go to bed.

*sees run time*

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Welp, demands a prime membership to watch, they won't let you just buy it. I tried!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really liked the movie. I usually don't like the kind of the ending this has, but I think it worked pretty well here.

Still gonna be mulling over some of what this means for a while now though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just finished it as well.

I’ll need to sleep on It, but… It’s finally over. :unsmith:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Also, for levity

https://twitter.com/dashartmaster/status/1425988417213636611?s=21

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm surprised the overall reception here is so positive. I didn't like the rebuilds to begin with and this ending left me with an awful taste in my mouth. There was some good content in the beginning, honestly the best stuff in the rebuilds, but I thought the rest just exemplified the flaws of the movie series, with it descending into just over the top action and robot fights.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Going to totally disagree with the guy above me. I loved it so much. I also rewatched all the rebuilds a week ago to get ready. I do think the action is the weakest part of the film, but it's honestly minimal. The emotions were on point.

I can't believe anno pulled it off. I actually liked all of them, even 3.0. The bastard actually remade end of evangelion. So so so so good. I wont discuss spoilers, but yeah, definately worth the watch.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Eimi posted:

I'm surprised the overall reception here is so positive. I didn't like the rebuilds to begin with and this ending left me with an awful taste in my mouth. There was some good content in the beginning, honestly the best stuff in the rebuilds, but I thought the rest just exemplified the flaws of the movie series, with it descending into just over the top action and robot fights.

i found the action pretty well choreographed and easy to read, which is more than can be said for the action in most modern blockbuster films. also lmao it descends into a long conversation that's been 25 years in the making, not a fight. did you watch the same movie???

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Paper Lion posted:

i found the action pretty well choreographed and easy to read, which is more than can be said for the action in most modern blockbuster films. also lmao it descends into a long conversation that's been 25 years in the making, not a fight. did you watch the same movie???

It got there eventually, but I feel it took way too long. And it's not even that the fight scenes were hard to read, I just found them boring and weightless. There never really felt like there were any emotional stakes, it just went for style over substance. As for the conversation itself, I think less is more and I prefer "Akagi Ritsuko, the truth is..."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

That was excellent.

I saw summaries when Shin came out in Japan, just to know if they managed to land the plane after 3 launched it on the sort of trajectory that either sets records or kills everyone in a mad inferno, and even saw some clips, but man.

The film was better than I expected, and the summaries set me up to be impressed.

First, wow. I knew the scenes in the village would be a while after the initial action scenes (which I also liked. Mari killing an Eva using the Eifel Tower is just the kind of insanity I signed on for), but holy crap, that was, like, an hour of Shinji and Lookalike just... trying to crawl out of the utter crater they started the film in, and it was really compelling anyway. Ayanami's happiness in the simple things in life helped keep Shinji's despair from being too depressing while giving him space to actually deal with his issues. (And it's nice to have Ken and Toji fulfil their usual roles as the only people Shinji had a healthy relationship with. Toji even gave Shinji the speeches to set him up and motivate him without blaming him for anything. The man just had his own burdens, and how he talked about handling them let Shinji recontextualize his own suffering.). It also meant that we had reason to give a drat about the world when it was in peril. There was life worth living even in the midst of hell, and that was what Shinji was saving in the end.

Then, after an hour of grounded slice of life, we just dove full on into science fiction super robot nonsense, and I was glad to get that, too. I think they took some notes on the reception for 3, with a lot of quick scenes to go "Here is what people are trying to do. Shinji needs to fight his dad." rather than the messier bits in 3 where it was harder to figure out what everyone was trying to accomplish.

And once Shinji actually got to his dad, it went full meta, which is something Evangelion's good at, especially when delivering character beats. Shinji and Gendo finally talked out their issues, Shinji settled his romantic drama, and then... he got ready to die, before his parents save him, finally reuniting and finally being there for him when he needed them.

And then Mari shows up to give him something to go back to, even after settling his accounts.

There was a lot more time away from Shinji in this one, which helped make everyone else feel a bit more fleshed out, knowing what Mari was there for made her fun moments more fun, and in general, it felt like the whole cast got enough to make this a proper bow.

What a good movie. I'd say "worth the wait", but since I only saw the show in 2019 and the rebuilds in 2020, it feels like I'm not really qualified to judge that. Still, that was an astounding landing.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

it was ok

i don't think it's as... uh, 'striking' from an aesthetic or emotional standpoint as EoE, which is like, genuinely an incredible piece of art but it's a very nice 'lil thing and sendoff.

shinji was already my favorite character and this entire movie is basically just ~3 hours of very straightforward and clear showing of the 'why' in regards to why he's my favorite character
i think it might actually be like... 'too' straightforward?
that might be a point in the favor of the movie honestly, i'm not too sure.

my favorite part is probably gonna be the source of a lot of pepole's gripes but i love how absolutely loving hoke-y the 'fight' between shinji and gendo's EVAs are - at first it's like 'what the gently caress? this looks loving awful and then shinji hits the stage's painted bg sky which becomes insanely realistic folds-wise and it starts going to each individual background to represent how the action is secondary to the core of the series

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I totally agree. I dunno if this comes off too dickish but I feel like do much of the action in this one and 3.0 are kind of making fun of his fetish for powering up sequences. Like those sequences are so long and meaningless. "Power up L4, blah blah blah" when they were fighting at the end and the walls started coming down and it was a production, I lost it (in a good way)

Another thing I've seen people complain about is the cgi. But come on man, giant rei face was supposed to be super uncanny and it succeeded

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly this movie all about both the pros and cons of supporting your local library.

For real though it is interesting how reading is treated as both a communal and isolating thing in the movie. Lookalike's interest in books leads her to meet different people at a makeshift library, while Gendo's interest in books is part of what turns him into uh fuckin' Gendo.

Curiously, Mari seems to be somewhere in between both Rei and Gendo. Hoarding books and such for herself, but perfectly willing to talk with anyone who stops by about them.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 13, 2021

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Fereydun posted:

my favorite part is probably gonna be the source of a lot of pepole's gripes but i love how absolutely loving hoke-y the 'fight' between shinji and gendo's EVAs are - at first it's like 'what the gently caress? this looks loving awful and then shinji hits the stage's painted bg sky which becomes insanely realistic folds-wise and it starts going to each individual background to represent how the action is secondary to the core of the series

100% the best part of the film.

Watched the dub for the first time and… man, I don’t know how you guys do it. The original voice acting probably sounds as bad to you as the dubs do to me though.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Fereydun posted:

that bit was wonderful and totally had me going :wtf: up to the reveal

i'm going to need some time to ruminate on it (and probably a rewatch of the rebuilds) but it was a good send-off for eva, i think :)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Lmao how is this movie not available on Prime in Ireland gently caress offfff

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If nothing else I do appreciate that they gave a nod to that whole Kaworu is the same Kaworu from all continuities thing.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 13, 2021

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

ConanThe3rd posted:

If nothing else I do appreciate that they gave a nod to that whole Kaworu is the same Kaworu from all continuities thing.

In SRW, isn't it implied that the Kaworu in each of the games Eva appears in is also the same one, and that he's aware of the SRW multiverse

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well we finally get Anno's Ultraman finale.

It was good and made up for the garbage of the last movie. It was great to finally get an actual ending to the series, and now Anno can remove this rotting albatross hanging off of his neck.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
As the final Rebuild film, it's not great, and arguably clashes with the message of the previous film in a very painful way. Shinji, it's foolish to think magical Evangelion spears will fix things! Unless... I don't think the story established by the first three films is really delivered upon by this film at all, but that'd require getting into a very detailed breakdown that I don't really want to do at this time.

However, as a capstone to Evangelion as a whole, it's basically perfect.

I could nitpick all the small details (but that really just ends up back at that first point) like Eva Imaginaries, the whole anti-universe, Black Lillith, Katsuragi's Eva Infinity hypothesis, whatever else but ultimately it's a wonderful film that does all the things an Evangelion film would need to do in order to feel like a final send-off. The film feels like it gives Neon Genesis Evangelion what it has always lacked: ultimate closure.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Nowhere near as good as end of evangelion imo but that would be tough

Really gross amounts of little kid ogling too, the camera will not stay out of asukas vagina.

I thought the characters were good though, just the action was too much so I stopped knowing what rhe stakes were pretty rapidly.

Compare asuka fighting the new Eva's in EoE against the timer with asuka... Falling forever through a cloud of infinite evangelion Particle effects?

Despite all the weirdness it's essentially just a retread, they make a deal about gendos new impact but itt does the same thing as always
Then they all do the Harry Potter ship pairing up at the trainstation to end it

There were definitely bits I liked but once it became a terrible cgi duel between unit 1 and evil unit 1 with shinji and his dad doing a spear duel? That's something I would make up to make fun of how you'd gently caress up an Eva sequel.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I loved it. It was one of the most cathartic things I’ve experienced in a long time. I’m excited to go back and watch all four movies again, but part of me feels like that would be a betrayal of what the movie was trying to do. Also I lost my loving mind when Fuyutsuki revealed that Mari’s real last name is Iscariot. That got one final joyous “gently caress you Eva” out of me.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

A question I had for a long time was 'what the hell is that rotating thing beyond the Door of Guf?'

And it got answered. Like definitively. gently caress yeah that was good.

Communist Thoughts posted:

There were definitely bits I liked but once it became a terrible cgi duel between unit 1 and evil unit 1 with shinji and his dad doing a spear duel? That's something I would make up to make fun of how you'd gently caress up an Eva sequel.

If you were paying attention: it was supposed to be fake and dumb and meaningless.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 13, 2021

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Man I loved that, maybe a more straightforwardly happy ending than EoE but hey, I think it's been earned by this point. Particularly as it felt like a very definitive finale to Evangelion as a whole. Very unsubtle with the whole 'I'm destroying Evangelion to give people happiness (so please go the gently caress outside)' thing.

Honestly it was just cathartic to see everyone actually talking about their issues and working towards resolving them, even though I feel EoE was beautiful in that it ended on (what I consider) an optimistic note despite the fact that Shinji and Asuka very much hadn't resolved their issues. I'm probably bringing my own baggage to this as I started crying when Gendo hugged Shinji and was teary eyed throughout the rest of the movie. I just feels good to see Shinji actually growing as a person and earning his happiness that way. It all felt very straightforward as opposed to the original series and EoE, there was a lot of characters outright stating their motivations and conflicts which you had to infer previously, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing as such.

Like in the rest of the Rebuilds, the CGI fight scenes were cool I guess, but I never felt invested in them and felt they were taking up screentime that could have been spent on more interesting things. Very weightless, as I think others have said. So when Shinji said "Yes, I want to talk to you" to Gendo I was thinking gently caress yes I've waited so long for this moment.

Maybe I will later, once I've got a bit more distance from this, but I'm not going to bother comparing this with EoE. I love them both in their own way.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

There's just too much to unpack. I think this is exactly what it needed to be although I fear I can never get a handle on how the lore and mechanics work in the rebuilds as it seems even that much more undecipherable than it was with the original series and EoE.

Where EoE felt like it was designed to crush its audience to dust, this movie feels like it was designed to uplift.

I love it but I've been on this wild ride since the mid 90s and I'm just happy the work is 'done'. Closing the book on this story is very satisfying.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Favourite moment, 20 minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHra7ycHDsY

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

G-III posted:

There's just too much to unpack. I think this is exactly what it needed to be although I fear I can never get a handle on how the lore and mechanics work in the rebuilds as it seems even that much more undecipherable than it was with the original series and EoE.

I don't think so. Even with 3.0 + 1.0, I think the Rebuild lore is more straightforward than the original series. But there's two things. The first being that there hasn't been years and years of people putting it together and the second being that there are just way more pieces. I think some people over at Evageeks basically predicted some of the new worldbuilding elements in 3.0 + 1.0 years ago.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah as someone who's read the wikis and gone through the whole rabbit hole multiple times, I wasn't really shocked at some of the new stuff but I will say, what did shock me was Anno and his staff's willingness to just get weird, AGAIN! Of course it was always going to be weird but I love that. Especially after the polarizing reaction to 3.0, just so sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
this was largely great. the first hour is one of the highlights of the entire series.

my main issue is just Mari's role is still really strange, as a character without any baggage to work through who ends up rescuing Shinji at the end & ends up paired with him? i still don't know what they were trying to do with her at all