Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I enjoyed this film a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having not watched any of the rebuild movies, the beginning of the movie was a trip for me. I was like "oh so is this a post-llama with hats world" jokingly, then I see the blood vortex in Paris and I was like ok yes this is a post-llama with hats world.

I thought it was fine, the end being "literally, the end of evangelion," was nice, I have no impression of Mari other than that she seems like a walking plot device to make everything possible/happy for everyone. A lot of the movie felt like pure nonsense but it's not like, I wasn't ready for that in an Evangelion movie.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it is slightly less nonsense if you've seen the movies it's a direct sequel to yeah

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I realized I was not gonna have a similar DMT-trip if I stopped it and watched the other movies the moment I realized things were hosed up so instead I decided to enjoy the surrealism for what it was.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Elentor posted:

Having not watched any of the rebuild movies, the beginning of the movie was a trip for me. I was like "oh so is this a post-llama with hats world" jokingly, then I see the blood vortex in Paris and I was like ok yes this is a post-llama with hats world.

I thought it was fine, the end being "literally, the end of evangelion," was nice, I have no impression of Mari other than that she seems like a walking plot device to make everything possible/happy for everyone. A lot of the movie felt like pure nonsense but it's not like, I wasn't ready for that in an Evangelion movie.

Love watching the 4th movie in a series without watching the previous ones

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

lih posted:

this was largely great. the first hour is one of the highlights of the entire series.

my main issue is just Mari's role is still really strange, as a character without any baggage to work through who ends up rescuing Shinji at the end & ends up paired with him? i still don't know what they were trying to do with her at all

Its very simple really Shinji is Anno, Mari is his wife That's it. That's the message.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Archer666 posted:

Its very simple really Shinji is Anno, Mari is his wife That's it. That's the message.

They should have at least have had Mari interact with Shinji more in the previous films so it doesn't come off as forced if that's how Anno wanted it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Archer666 posted:

This does make me wonder how much Anno is writing himself into Gendo these days. I always figured in the original NGE Gendo was likely based on Anno's own father, but now I have to wonder if he isn't imagining what would happen to him if he lost Moyoco when he writes Gendo in Rebuild.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That said lmao this film's version of Giant Rei looks bad. I'm on board for how most of the endgame stuff is animated because it feels very intended but that was hard to get past.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

That said lmao this film's version of Giant Rei looks bad. I'm on board for how most of the endgame stuff is animated because it feels very intended but that was hard to get past.

It looked like something out of Tim and Eric.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
This might be getting too deep into things that Anno would prefer I don't care about but I do wish they were a little clearer about Shinji remaking everything at the end. It seemed like he made an existence for Kaworu (Commander Nagisa, retiring and hanging out with Kaji and Misato in retirement), he made a world for Rei to basically set her on the same path of discovery as Rei 6 and shot Asuka back to Kenosuke in the current world. Also all the WILLE pods and creatures and everything being safe at the end in the current world is a new beginning for that same world. But then we also see that Shinji created a world without Evas, literally just what would happen to everyone if Evas didn't exist and does that just... erase everything the movie set up earlier? The new life people are forging in the village, etc? Or do we just have a bunch of different realities co-existing now? I loved the movie but that's my biggest question because it makes the reset feel a bit weird.

Beyond that this really felt like the most straightforward and cathartic Evangelion. EoE resonates with me a little more because I think it's a realistic hopeful ending from someone in the throes of intense depression. Thrice's ending feels more hopeful from a perspective that has already come out the other side, with all of the traumas addressed. And while Thrice's CG looks pretty good (except for when it purposefully looks bad in the sound stage fight), most CG animation is just really bad at communicating weight and intensity. It's great at sweeping camera movement and having LOTS of poo poo going on, which can be effective, but for me tends to lose out to more focused action like the Asuka fight from EoE.

The village stuff is probably the strongest part of the movie, but it wouldn't be Evangelion if we didn't have meta-robot-magic-bullshit and I think they did it incredibly well here. Gendo having to go through the interiority sequence that most everyone else did in 25 & 26 was a treat and fulfilling in a way I truly did not expect. Overall a great ending to the series and better than I expected.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I assumed it was supposed to be disconcerting, because boy did I not like looking at it when it was on screen.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

roobots posted:

This might be getting too deep into things that Anno would prefer I don't care about but I do wish they were a little clearer about Shinji remaking everything at the end. It seemed like he made an existence for Kaworu (Commander Nagisa, retiring and hanging out with Kaji and Misato in retirement), he made a world for Rei to basically set her on the same path of discovery as Rei 6 and shot Asuka back to Kenosuke in the current world. Also all the WILLE pods and creatures and everything being safe at the end in the current world is a new beginning for that same world. But then we also see that Shinji created a world without Evas, literally just what would happen to everyone if Evas didn't exist and does that just... erase everything the movie set up earlier? The new life people are forging in the village, etc? Or do we just have a bunch of different realities co-existing now? I loved the movie but that's my biggest question because it makes the reset feel a bit weird.

Beyond that this really felt like the most straightforward and cathartic Evangelion. EoE resonates with me a little more because I think it's a realistic hopeful ending from someone in the throes of intense depression. Thrice's ending feels more hopeful from a perspective that has already come out the other side, with all of the traumas addressed. And while Thrice's CG looks pretty good (except for when it purposefully looks bad in the sound stage fight), most CG animation is just really bad at communicating weight and intensity. It's great at sweeping camera movement and having LOTS of poo poo going on, which can be effective, but for me tends to lose out to more focused action like the Asuka fight from EoE.

The village stuff is probably the strongest part of the movie, but it wouldn't be Evangelion if we didn't have meta-robot-magic-bullshit and I think they did it incredibly well here. Gendo having to go through the interiority sequence that most everyone else did in 25 & 26 was a treat and fulfilling in a way I truly did not expect. Overall a great ending to the series and better than I expected.

rather than shinji creating new worlds for each of the other characters, it felt to me like he was guiding them through instrumentality & helping them to resolve their traumas etc., which then they all carried over to shinji's new world free of evangelions

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

lih posted:

rather than shinji creating new worlds for each of the other characters, it felt to me like he was guiding them through instrumentality & helping them to resolve their traumas etc., which then they all carried over to shinji's new world free of evangelions

Well then what happens to everyone in the village, does it not exist? Did Shinji rewind time

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Raxivace posted:

This does make me wonder how much Anno is writing himself into Gendo these days. I always figured in the original NGE Gendo was likely based on Anno's own father, but now I have to wonder if he isn't imagining what would happen to him if he lost Moyoco when he writes Gendo in Rebuild.

Obviously all speculation but some people have attributed Gendo to Anno's relationship with Miyazaki as well. And Kaworu with Utena director Ikuhara. Not entirely sure how much water those hold, but the Gendo/Miyazaki thing is interesting as he is known to be an incredibly harsh mentor, even to his own son. Regarding Mari, supposedly Anno didn't come up with her but rather the producer pushed for the Remakes to have a new female main character and Anno didn't really have much to do with her development. It does feel like over the course of the series they figured out what to do with her and her personality solidified a bit more into, as previously mentioned, basically Anno's wife.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Based on the documentary, they talk about his relationship with his father and I'll just go with it is his about his father probably.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Well then what happens to everyone in the village, does it not exist? Did Shinji rewind time

I like Lih's interpretation here, though it still makes some threads narratively unsatisfying. Like Asuka found that happiness with Kensuke, but in Shinji's world she is clearly on the train platform apart from Rei/Kaworu, which felt particularly odd that she didn't get a zoom in as they did. So that's just... gone. As is every other experience, which I don't love. As far as rewinding, Shinji is pretty clear that the only change he is making is making a world without EVA, so just remove all the sci-fi out of the equation. None of the impacts ever happen, NERV, SEELE, all of that stuff doesn't need to exist. It's why everyone is older in the final shots. Shinji is aged the 14 years he lost, as is Mari, which means Curse of EVA never happened.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Based on the documentary, they talk about his relationship with his father and I'll just got with it is his about his father probably.

Ah I need to watch it! Good call.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

roobots posted:

I like Lih's interpretation here, though it still makes some threads narratively unsatisfying. Like Asuka found that happiness with Kensuke, but in Shinji's world she is clearly on the train platform apart from Rei/Kaworu, which felt particularly odd that she didn't get a zoom in as they did. So that's just... gone. As is every other experience, which I don't love. As far as rewinding, Shinji is pretty clear that the only change he is making is making a world without EVA, so just remove all the sci-fi out of the equation. None of the impacts ever happen, NERV, SEELE, all of that stuff doesn't need to exist. It's why everyone is older in the final shots. Shinji is aged the 14 years he lost, as is Mari, which means Curse of EVA never happened.

Another thing here is that I read the final city is based on his hometown, my interpretation is that now all evangelions are gone he is free to simply finally continue to live his life and move on.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

roobots posted:

Part of me hopes that when SRW evetually includes 3.0+1.0 that Shinji just erases the Evas and Angels from existence and restores the world to how it was before near Third Impact, and not rewind time

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Another thing here is that I read the final city is based on his hometown, my interpretation is that now all evangelions are gone he is free to simply finally continue to live his life and move on.

Right, the final shot is literally the JR Ube-Shinkawa station, which is Anno's hometown. I imagine Shinji and Mari were running out of the station on their way to go direct Shin Kamen Rider.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

So can we all make a pact to publicly say this new movie is great even if we feel it isn't so Anno doesn't do this poo poo over a fourth time?

Granted that mfer could just come back to troll the entire planet into the ground with a live action 'Shin Evangelion'. The threat is real

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shin Godzilla 2 will be the fifth Rebuild film.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Nate RFB posted:

I honestly couldn’t help laughing every time she showed up, because the “realistic” face is a dead ringer for Jack Black’s face imposed onto the cleaved head of Giant Rei from that second Tenacious D fan edit video

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

G-III posted:

So can we all make a pact to publicly say this new movie is great even if we feel it isn't so Anno doesn't do this poo poo over a fourth time?

Granted that mfer could just come back to troll the entire planet into the ground with a live action 'Shin Evangelion'. The threat is real

Speak for yourself. This movie loving ruled

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Speak for yourself. This movie loving ruled
OH don't get me wrong, I loved it too. Just want the ending to 'stick' this time. ;-)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Just got done watching it and I really really liked a lot of it but disliked some bits as well. I imagine we're all gonna spend time unpacking what Anno was saying about the series and stuff and himself.

I straight-up thought the fights were bad though. Just swarms of either nameless chaff to be destroyed by the hundred or nameless main-series Eva units that existed to die. I know it's internally consistent that the Evas were basically walking gods by 4.0 who could do whatever they wanted but there was nothing as cool as the Beast-mode fight or god-mode in 2.0, or anything as weighty-feeling as the original series/1.0 fights.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
It was fine, I liked it. Pretty good, pretty pretty good. The music was awesome.

I do find it hysterical that the manga had that special chapter about Mari being a college friend to Yui and Gendo, with Sadamoto saying that he only did it for fun and it had nothing to do with the movies and then Thrice basically confirms and shows that yeah she was friends Yui and Gendo in college :lol:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
So, as someone who never watched any Evangelion until a year ago and thus didn't have a decade of buildup to this, I liked it.

The part in the village was the best part, and I felt so awful for Rei having come so far to learn that she's a human who can have aspirations only to immediately have to face her imminent death. hosed up. I really enjoyed up through the assault on NERV HQ. Not that the assault on NERV HQ was bad, just that it wasn't as good as the stuff leading up to it.

Plenty of funny technobabble about what was going on to give me just enough of a feeling to basically get what was going on. Asuka and Mari make a dope team, but the descent down through CGI particle effects was not too compelling, just a show of special effects really. Once they landed on NERV HQ it was cool again.

Then we get to the anti-universe and find out Gendo is basically everything negative people said about Shinji, but got his head pulled out of his rear end by Yui, then Yui did her Eva fusion thing and Gendo went even further up his own rear end. I got the vibe that Mari kind of liked Gendo from that one sequence since she was drawn looking at him over and over, so that makes her getting with Shinji a little weird. I would have liked a bit more explanation about Mari and a lot more about what Yui's goals are. Yui is still the most enigmatic character, and I still don't know what to make of her. EoE made me feel like she was kind of the reason bad poo poo happened in the first place, and I don't even know what it was trying to say in this one.

As for the Another Impact itself, I agree with the idea that Shinji was guiding Gendo, Kaworu, Rei, and Asuka through instrumentality or an instrumentality-like situation. Shinji also made it clear he wasn't making a new world or going back in time, he was rebuilding the world. So I feel like everything still happened but there are no more effects of the Evas, and possibly not even the memories of them (though I personally think that our core cast at least remembers everything). It was cool that Asuka got to be aged up at the beach and NOT strangled. Not sure why Asuka was by herself and not hanging with Kensuke considering the rest of their relationship in the film, but it's fine. Maybe his thing was just wanting her to accept herself for who she is, which she did.

Also I hope we soon get announcements for good quality figures from this movie, there are a number of mech designs I really liked.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Man that finale stunk.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Miching Mallecho posted:

It was fine, I liked it. Pretty good, pretty pretty good. The music was awesome.

I do find it hysterical that the manga had that special chapter about Mari being a college friend to Yui and Gendo, with Sadamoto saying that he only did it for fun and it had nothing to do with the movies and then Thrice basically confirms and shows that yeah she was friends Yui and Gendo in college :lol:

Its canon!!!! They threw us all of!!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Also I hope we soon get announcements for good quality figures from this movie, there are a number of mech designs I really liked.

I always feel weird cause I'm huge ride or die Eva fan, but I always found the mech designs one of my least favorite things about Eva. At best I put them as "okay" tier.

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
I really liked it. It felt good to finally finish.

bicycle fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 13, 2021

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Genius moments, excellent first hour, uplifting message about resolution.

Didn't like it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Gendo hugged Shinji and said he was sorry for abandoning him and I burst into tears

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Gendo hugged Shinji and said he was sorry for abandoning him and I burst into tears

This got me too, I cried at that and was a teary mess for the whole rest of the film. I wasn't expecting anything remotely like that in the film so it really hit me hard.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I think it was incredible and a complete redemption of the swerve/cliffhanger that was 3.33.
They added a lot of scenes and explanations in this one that softened the confusion we all had when watching that movie.

I definitely think that unlike the original series and EoE dealing with Shinji's psychological journey, the final moments of this film revealed that we were actually unpacking Gendo's issues. It was a great twist to also then go through the other characters and help them find peace.

The rebuilds ultimately really relied on you knowing the original series in and out and spotting all of the winks from Anno as he remixed classic scenes to say "uh, let's do this slightly differently this time."

Also... anyone else spot this?

Char
Jan 5, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

Also... anyone else spot this?

What should we look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Shoehead posted:

Gendo and Shinji having some closure was fantastic, but the Misato hug is where I really cried. I was so relieved to see them reunited and for Misato to finally trust him again.