Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Eej posted:

The worst part about Chainsaw Man is the first quarter or so where Denji is a horny teenaged boy who wants to and is completely motivated by touching boobies. It does at least mostly go away when he realizes that titillation ( :v: ) is not the same as affection (although it's more like a dog who finally caught the car kinda deal) but it's kinda awkward to read through all the same.

It probably helped that i was spoiled with how that ended ahead of time with a YouTube reviewer but yeah in context Denji being such a pathetic loser that “copping a feel” was one of his new life’s goals and said feel being a wet fart because he had no emotional attachment is one of the best parts of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Denji is never a pathetic loser and is in fact extremely cool throughout the entire comic.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Is this week another skip?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah no jump this week

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Yeah no jump this week

Bondo is going to go insane.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Denji is never a pathetic loser and is in fact extremely cool throughout the entire comic.

I'd say that Denji manages to simultaneously be a pathetic loser and extremely cool. There's times that lean more one way or another, but he's both a borderline-illiterate weirdo who eats scabs, and a badass Devil Hunter who comes up with brilliant-but-stupid methods to beat the most feared things in the setting.

He's also both Ultra Horny enough that his life goal is 'find a way to touch some boobs', and enough of a gentleman that when a hot older woman gets drunk and goes 'Wanna gently caress?' he politely turns her down because this isn't how it should go. (Both due to the fact he was saving himself for Makima and due to Himeno being, you know, drunk.)

In conclusion, Denji is a land of contrast. Thank you

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say that Denji manages to simultaneously be a pathetic loser and extremely cool. There's times that lean more one way or another, but he's both a borderline-illiterate weirdo who eats scabs, and a badass Devil Hunter who comes up with brilliant-but-stupid methods to beat the most feared things in the setting.

He's also both Ultra Horny enough that his life goal is 'find a way to touch some boobs', and enough of a gentleman that when a hot older woman gets drunk and goes 'Wanna gently caress?' he politely turns her down because this isn't how it should go. (Both due to the fact he was saving himself for Makima and due to Himeno being, you know, drunk.)

In conclusion, Denji is a land of contrast. Thank you

Yeah when I say Denji’s a pathetic loser I don’t mean it as a bash, I mean “this character is so fundamentally broken as an individual that his life’s goals are ‘eating toast with jam’ ‘copping a feel’ and is willing to risk his life daily in pursuit of those goals, and it owns”.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

In other words, Denji is the most realistic teen character that has ever appeared in Jump.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Hey kids, I haven't posted in this thread in a long-rear end time, but I want to say "Kirishima rules and is still my favorite character".

Big wall of dumb, insanely hard muscle and a good attitude makes for the best character.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
New Vigilantes out.
Koichi finally getting the credit he deserves.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

link:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-vigilantes-chapter-107/chapter/23034?action=read

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Link:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-vigilantes-chapter-107/chapter/23034?action=read

Feels like the first time someone going into mindless monster form makes sense. Dude is clearly getting pissed about how this fight is going. Really funny he's comparing Koichi's defense to button mashing cause I bet that's what he's going to be doing next chapter.

Edit: drat it!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Koichi is OP

Also:

lmao

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The Cruller has obtained Ultra Instinct

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

drat, he's gone full nomu. This dude is totally going to blow himself up in a last ditch effort to kill Koichi.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
koichi, like goku, is too dumb to be defeated

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Doodlelot/status/1424513113907474435
https://twitter.com/Doodlelot/status/1424600787934658567

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I think what I like about vigilantes and Koichi in particular is that while his power is pretty strong, I don't get the sense that that's because it's a particularly strong power. Like, sure, kinetic manipulation is a strong power set, but it's only really good because he's been training it for a long time. If he'd become like a salaryman he never would have pushed himself to attempt any of this stuff, and his quirk would have been a neat party trick.

I get the feeling this same thing applies to everyone in the MHA universe, which is why generational quirk intensification is such a problem. Sure, anyone's quirk can develop in the correct circumstances to become stronger and more versatile, they just won't ever be in those circumstances... But at some point even the "weak" quirks will start out strong.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Man what is with some of the people that read this manga?

Dog Kisser posted:

I think what I like about vigilantes and Koichi in particular is that while his power is pretty strong, I don't get the sense that that's because it's a particularly strong power. Like, sure, kinetic manipulation is a strong power set, but it's only really good because he's been training it for a long time. If he'd become like a salaryman he never would have pushed himself to attempt any of this stuff, and his quirk would have been a neat party trick.

I get the feeling this same thing applies to everyone in the MHA universe, which is why generational quirk intensification is such a problem. Sure, anyone's quirk can develop in the correct circumstances to become stronger and more versatile, they just won't ever be in those circumstances... But at some point even the "weak" quirks will start out strong.

Yeah, you don't see it very much in the main manga yet because they're either students still developing or professionals fully developed. We're seeing a guy evolve his quirk by using it every day in even mundane situation, and now it's manifesting as an incredible utility quirk. It's cool as hell and I'm honestly still kinda surprised at how much I've grown to love Vigilantes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think the power gap is overstated a bit anyway. I mean yeah, Deku (and All for One, and Shigaraki) are much more powerful than the rest of the cast but it's not like DBZ rules where they're so far behind that they just do superficial scratch damage.

This isn't the Cell Games, people!

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

A lot of people have no ability to analyze fiction, empathize with characters, or possess empathy in general.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

christmas boots posted:

I think the power gap is overstated a bit anyway. I mean yeah, Deku (and All for One, and Shigaraki) are much more powerful than the rest of the cast but it's not like DBZ rules where they're so far behind that they just do superficial scratch damage.

Unfortunately, they kind of do. Bakugo basically was doing superficial scratch damage to Shigaraki. Before and after his upgrade, Shiggy barely seemed to feel his explosions.

I think there's some wiggle room for everyone else, but All for One, Shiggy and Gigantomachia are just on another level and Deku is getting there fast.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If there isn't a Vigilantes anime and Koichi as an unlockable character in the next MHA game then I'm going to get really mad I guess.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Make the next MHA movie a crossover with Vigilantes, have Deku and Koichi team up

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Koichi summed up in 3 panels.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

christmas boots posted:

So let's think about All Might. We have an example of him fighting Deku and Bakugo in the testing arc. At that point, All Might is in his damaged, post-power-donation state. He's also wearing weights tuned to actually impede him. He's still so fast that he can functionally teleport, he shrugs off Bakugo's explosions like they're pin pricks, almost breaks Deku's spine with what amounts to a flick, and takes a hit from Deku with only a momentary stagger(which is mostly caused by his condition rather than the hit).

All For One, in Kamino, is shown effortlessly beating the poo poo out of several top ranked heroes simultaneously without trying at all. Jeanist, Endeavor, Deadshot, and Torino together had functionally no chance of even hurting him - the only reason they didn't all get killed or have their powers stolen was either because AfO didn't want to steal them(in Jeanist's case) or because All Might showed up and that's the only target AfO actually cares about.

Super Shigaraki, despite getting attacked from multiple angles on a constant basis and getting roasted alive by full power Endeavor blasts twice, is still kicking enough to withdraw from the fight once AfO takes control. If AfO had been in control from the beginning and was able to use all of the powers at Shigaraki's disposal - Shigaraki did not, due to just waking up and being incomplete and disoriented - all of the heroes there probably would be dead.

This manga absolutely does do Cell Games power levels. Hell, the broad parallels even line up. All Might is Goku - the legendary invincible veteran fighter who sacrifices himself to stop the villain to ensure that the next generation can take over. Deku is Gohan - the promising chosen successor of the previous hero who has an even greater potential power than the previous hero if he can master it. AfO/Shigaraki is Cell - the amalgamation of a bunch of power stolen from other people that is much greater than the sum of its parts and is completely impossible to put down through anything other than overwhelming power because of crazy super regeneration.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Deku as Gohan isn't really an accurate parallel given that Gohan gets sidelined from the hero role continually until the Cell Arc. And then is immediately sidelined again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Deku as Gohan isn't really an accurate parallel given that Gohan gets sidelined from the hero role continually until the Cell Arc. And then is immediately sidelined again.

They brought up the Cell Games, so I'm speaking in the context of the Android/Cell arc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Koichi summed up in 3 panels.

Koichi is the best.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

This seems kinda pedantic because every other part of that comparison is spot on

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can't wait for Izuku to get All Might killed because he spends too much time playing with Shigaraki instead of blowing him up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I can't wait for Izuku to get All Might killed because he spends too much time playing with Shigaraki instead of blowing him up.

Specifically, playing Mario Kart.

Blue shells claim another victim.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
So assuming Mineta is Krillin, is AfO or Gigantomachia the Android 18?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think the power of friendship protecting all the people who should be nowhere near the big fight is dumb and incredibly overplayed

but also there's 2 huge enemies involved now between All for One and Shigaraki, so I'm hoping the point is less that they wanna fight by Izuku's side (and realistically die) and more that there's a poo poo-ton of minions, subordinates, and an entire second evil antagonist in play that will overwhelm Deku without any kind of backup

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Jen X posted:

I think the power of friendship protecting all the people who should be nowhere near the big fight is dumb and incredibly overplayed

but also there's 2 huge enemies involved now between All for One and Shigaraki, so I'm hoping the point is less that they wanna fight by Izuku's side (and realistically die) and more that there's a poo poo-ton of minions, subordinates, and an entire second evil antagonist in play that will overwhelm Deku without any kind of backup

That seems to be what they're driving at, since the current arc is basically "Deku gets worn down by constantly fighting and defeating villains who have no real chance against him but he's been fighting alone forever with no food or rest".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kanos posted:

They brought up the Cell Games, so I'm speaking in the context of the Android/Cell arc.

CharlestonJew posted:

This seems kinda pedantic because every other part of that comparison is spot on

Fair enough.

Funky Valentine posted:

Where is All Might anyway? We haven't seen him in about four(?) chapters now.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
He went fishing with his son, Deku's brother Stain

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good news, the anime adaption of MVA finally starts next week.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Larryb posted:

Next week, the anime will finally arrive at the fireworks factory.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Larryb posted:

How many episodes do they have left for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RatHat posted:

How many episodes do they have left for it?

If I’m correct about this season being 25 episodes then we’ve got 6 more left at this point (which should be plenty of time honestly)