Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Do you need to? I have a knife with a pakkawood handle that hasnt had anything but regular hand washing for 15+ years and it looks brand new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
If I'm making pasta with a jar of storebought tomato sauce, I will often add about a jar again worth of water to the pan and give it ~30 minutes to simmer back down to a saucy viscosity. I'm convinced this makes for a better texture in the end result, but I've honestly never tested just heating the sauce through and serving immediately.

Am I accomplishing anything or is this just a stupid waste of time?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I'm not sure about texture, but that extra time on the heat is definitely contributing delicious,
maillard reaction-type flavors the sauce. I don't think I've ever had a tomato sauce that didn't benefit from more time cooking.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I also usually start with browning some italian sausage, and then in the pork fat sautee some mix of vegetables (always onion, some mix of pepper, carrot, celery, garlic). In my mind the extra simmer time gives the flavors a chance to get to know each other?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I think you definitely need to brush the cheese oil into a frying pan and use it to fry something, and report back

I have done this.

I sometimes make crispy cheese by frying a couple slices of Gouda in a dry non stick pan. The cheese becomes lacy and crispy and delicious but it also leaves behind some of the grease in the pan. I fried an egg in it once. It wasn't really anything special tbh, it didn't taste cheesy at all.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

spankmeister posted:

I have done this.

I sometimes make crispy cheese by frying a couple slices of Gouda in a dry non stick pan. The cheese becomes lacy and crispy and delicious but it also leaves behind some of the grease in the pan. I fried an egg in it once. It wasn't really anything special tbh, it didn't taste cheesy at all.

Gouda is quite mild, maybe it would be more discernible if you got parmesan sweat

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Chemmy posted:

Do you need to? I have a knife with a pakkawood handle that hasnt had anything but regular hand washing for 15+ years and it looks brand new.

Not too sure, the handle feels a bit "gritty" if that makes any sense. I only hand wash and usually only soap up the blade.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scoss posted:

If I'm making pasta with a jar of storebought tomato sauce, I will often add about a jar again worth of water to the pan and give it ~30 minutes to simmer back down to a saucy viscosity. I'm convinced this makes for a better texture in the end result, but I've honestly never tested just heating the sauce through and serving immediately.

Am I accomplishing anything or is this just a stupid waste of time?
The opposite, this is something that you absolutely should do with a lot of pasta sauces. The modification/improvement here is to use some reserved pasta water instead of plain water--that is, ladle some of the water you used to cook the pasta into the sauce and simmer that. Pasta water is full of starch, which will both help develop a better sauce consistency and with getting the sauce to stick to the pasta.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Can milk generally be substituted for non-dairy milks in recipes, especially baking? Are there any general additions I'd need to make, such as adding more sugar to compensation for the lowered sugar in oat milk vs dairy milk?

Is there a recommended type of milk to substitute? Almond, soy, oat etc?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I think it would just make the baked good tastier. It will actually make the crumb softer and moister. Use regular milk!

Btw I drink soymilk every day but it's just not great in baked goods.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

obi_ant posted:

Can I use cutting board oil (specifically Walrus Oil from Amazon) on my wooden knife handles? I have a Shun and the website indicates that it is a Walnut finish, contoured Pakkawood.

probably wont do anything but you can try it.

quote:

Most Shun handles are PakkaWood, a premium handle material made of genuine hardwood impregnated with resin. The resin makes it moisture resistant, strong, and durableimportant for kitchen knives. Sanding and polishing bring PakkaWood to a beautiful gloss finish. As with natural wood, no two pieces of PakkaWood are exactly alike.

reading this post:

http://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=343

makes me think that since it's a resin impregnated wood product, apparently it can be sanded?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Gouda is quite mild, maybe it would be more discernible if you got parmesan sweat

Nah I use aged Gouda that is quite pungent. Most Gouda around the world, well, isn't Gouda. I've also done this with sharp (real British) cheddar and things.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

spankmeister posted:

Nah I use aged Gouda that is quite pungent. Most Gouda around the world, well, isn't Gouda. I've also done this with sharp (real British) cheddar and things.

Then clearly the answer is insufficient oil. I am going to start collecting cheese oil samples at every opportunity, until I have enough to deep fry some Brie

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

spankmeister posted:

OOoh man you just reminded me I need to find some of the real good aged gouda, with all the crunchy acid crystals in it. :yum:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Scoss posted:

I also usually start with browning some italian sausage, and then in the pork fat sautee some mix of vegetables (always onion, some mix of pepper, carrot, celery, garlic). In my mind the extra simmer time gives the flavors a chance to get to know each other?

If you're doing all what's the point of buying sauce in the first place? Just get some much cheaper tinned tomatoes, the treatment you're giving them is making your own sauce anyway

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Eh, Id rather just leave them in their can than dry them out myself. But the fresh beans idea is enticing. Not sure where or even if fava beans grow in my part of the world though.

Good to know. Though Im not sure why you put par boiled in quotes like that. Its a common term, no?

I don't think you'd need fresh beans for falafel, I thought it's usually dried beans which have been soaked and ground.

That said, fava beans are more of a spring thing, they are moderately cold hardy so they're planted early. They can withstand some spring frosts.

If you've never had fava beans be careful, some people can have a bad reaction to fava beans (a disorder called favism) and get quite sick. I think it mostly affects people of middle eastern, mediterranean, african, and asian descent. But if you've had egyptian falafels and been fine then I'm sure you're ok.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh yeah my bro can't have fava beans or he ends up in the hospital. He's white as heck.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I cant have them or I start emphasising painterly qualities and strong color over the representational or realistic values originally retained by Impressionism.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a good recipe for (Brit/American-Indian) restaurant-style vindaloo? I know it's not particularly authentic to anything but it's still delicious.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Dunno about restaurant style but this one seems pretty anglicized, I've made it with good results. Originally from Cook's Illustrated.

https://www.food.com/recipe/pork-vindaloo-270304

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Butterfly Valley posted:

If you're doing all what's the point of buying sauce in the first place? Just get some much cheaper tinned tomatoes, the treatment you're giving them is making your own sauce anyway

I agree with this. There's no shame in a traditional Italian American gravy/red sauce, but if you're going to leave something that long on the stove, I'd try to get a little closer to scratch. What is it you like about the jarred sauce? Does it use red wine? mushrooms? You can still add those things!

That said, I love onion, so I definitely used to brown an onion in a pan before dumping out a jar of tomato sauce and letting it thicken before refrigerating it for lunch for the week, so I get it. Starting with canned tomatoes is just kind of the logical conclusion.

tl;dr: there is nothing wrong with what you're doing, but try making it from scratch and see if it's any more fun or rewarding

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Are there decent non stick pans? Or do you just buy the Ikea one for a 20 every couple of years

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Is it possible to make brussels sprouts with a little bit of crispiness at home with normal kitchen stuff (and no deep fryer)? I can get a pretty good carmelization going and I have no problems with flavor, but I am always in awe of the way some hipster restaurants can make the texture of brussels sprouts feel almost like puff pastry or something.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You need to broil them super close to the element

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Goodpancakes posted:

Are there decent non stick pans? Or do you just buy the Ikea one for a 20 every couple of years

If you're getting a teflon pan, they just have limited lifespans. I know I crow on about it a lot, but a well seasoned cast iron does the non-stick job so well that it's not worth it messing with teflon.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Corla Plankun posted:

Is it possible to make brussels sprouts with a little bit of crispiness at home with normal kitchen stuff (and no deep fryer)? I can get a pretty good carmelization going and I have no problems with flavor, but I am always in awe of the way some hipster restaurants can make the texture of brussels sprouts feel almost like puff pastry or something.

Those super crispy, puff-pastry-textured sprouts are achieved by deep frying. Also what on earth do you mean by "hipster restaurants" in 2021? I haven't heard anyone use that term in so long.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If you're getting a teflon pan, they just have limited lifespans. I know I crow on about it a lot, but a well seasoned cast iron does the non-stick job so well that it's not worth it messing with teflon.

You can also get carbon steel if you have noodle arms like me.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I got a graduated set of three Walmart-brand nonstick pans for $9, and they're still fine after several years of daily use. If they ever fall apart I'll probably just buy them again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my old rear end thermometer mysteriously broke, so what's a good, cheap digital food thermometer these days?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I have an CDN DTQ450X Thin Tip Thermometer which costs $15 and works great. Takes quite a while to settle on a reading, which is 80% of what you pay for in a higher-end thermometer, the other 20% is in accuracy and stability over the years.

If you can be bothered to test vs an ice bath and a boiling water test once or twice a year then this one will serve you well. I upgraded to a Thermapen but that's the opposite of a budget option.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Goodpancakes posted:

My wife bought me this one - https://www.amazon.ca/PADERNO-Canad...ps%2C199&sr=8-3 and it's been absolutely fantastic so far, although I've only had it a year. Prior to that I'd probably just use the cheapie ones, we'll see if this manages to last longer. So far it's performing exactly as well as the day I bought it.

I disagree that a cast iron performs as well as a non-stick pan (eggs are possible, yes, but a cast iron that can reliably pull off a french omelet is somewhere between impossible to 'requires so much babying that you might as well get non-stick'.)

But you do need to baby the poo poo out of them if you want them to have anything close to a decent lifespan. Never cook anything in a non-stick unless it's absolutely essential that it's non-stick (this is mostly just eggs for me). I only use silicone spatulas with my non-stick, and only ones that don't have sharp edges. I wash with a cloth and dry it right away, and make sure it's not banging around with other pots in my drawer.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Themoworks ThermoPop is a really good, accurate budget food thermometer.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

They were having a big closeout sale on mk4 thermapens when they released the mk5.

It's what got me to finally pick one up. I don't really need the 1 sec reading that the mk5 brings.

I've also had a thermo pop that died probably from user error but I replaced it with a dot as a probe one worked better for what I need to use it for.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Do you all add anything to canned refried beans? Cheese is an obvious addition, but since everyone in my family adds cheese at the table, I don't want to deliver it to the table with cheese already. I tried Goya Sazon one time but it wasn't a good fit.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

me your dad posted:

Do you all add anything to canned refried beans? Cheese is an obvious addition, but since everyone in my family adds cheese at the table, I don't want to deliver it to the table with cheese already. I tried Goya Sazon one time but it wasn't a good fit.

About a tablespoon of the adobo sauce from a can of chipotles. Beyond the obvious Smokey chipotle goodness, it also adds a little acid which wakes up the can of beans pretty well.

If you want them to be definitively chipotle refried beans, go ahead and chop up a whole chipotle too and toss it in for a more assertive flavor and visible pieces.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

me your dad posted:

I have generally found canned refried beans to be thicker than I'd like, so if I'm not mixing them with something else, I'll typically add a small amount of water to adjust the consistency as well as garlic powder and a little bit of onion powder.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Whenever I want to thin out beans I just drop a dollop of salsa in it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Lard if you have it, or some butter if you don't

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've not tried yet, but chili crisp might do well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006