Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lamuella posted:

It's not quite the same thing, but in the 2017 Best Of Super Jrs, Taka Michinoku and Taichi have a ten minute match with spots on the outside, a rope crotching, exposed turnbuckles and all sorts, where physical contact is is only made in the last 15 seconds before the pin.

https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00440_2_05

This reminded me of another weird example: a match between El Hijo del Ice Cream and Blind Rage where they locked up in a test of strength, held onto it, left the ring, wandered the arena for a while, returned to the ring and El Hijo turned it into a pin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ricky morton.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Sabu has gotta be up there, also Terry Funk

If you wanna go back a bit probably Gypsy Joe who was one of those territory journeyman who I think was in fact everywhere.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Critical posted:

other than using it for internal injuries the only instance i can remember was when roman "broke his nose" and obviously just smashed a fake blood capsule on his face. it could probably be considered successful since the twitter marks bought it

Shida used fake blood when Abadon bit her neck

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Duke Pukem posted:

Shida used fake blood when Abadon bit her neck

I mean, blading the jugular is a bad idea. Ask David Arquette and Nick Gage.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The true legends of the modern wrestling era: Wrestlers who have worked for WWF, WCW, (original) ECW, TNA/Impact, Ring of Honor, IWA Mid-South, and JCW:

Terry Funk
Jerry Lynn
Raven
Sandman
Rock N Roll Express
Kid Kash
Justin Credible
Gangrel
Shane Douglas
2 Cold Scorpio
Insane Clown Posse*

* only appeared in a non-wrestling capacity for ECW

Jerry Lynn and Gangrel's non-wrestling appearances in AEW push them even higher, and Gangrel's additonal appearances in GCW, Beyond, AIW, BLP, etc push him into the forefront.

Who else has had matches against Kobashi, Misawa, Kawada, Taue, Inoue, Dick Murdoch, Jerry Lawler, Kurt Angle, the Undertaker, Chris Jericho, Chris Hero, Nigel McGuinness, CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, PCO, Brian Cage, Timothy Thatcher, WALTER, Ricky Shane Page, Orange Cassidy, LA Park, Effy, and Joey Janela?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I missed a lot of aew because of depression brain, can someone fill me in on the dark order after Brodie Lee premiered and about 3 months back?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Aja Kong has appeared in 54 different promotions, running the gamut from WWE to AAA to being one of the only women to wrestle for New Japan.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

RandolphCarter posted:

I missed a lot of aew because of depression brain, can someone fill me in on the dark order after Brodie Lee premiered and about 3 months back?

They gradually recruited low/midcard people like Colt Cabana, Anna Jay, Alan Angels, etc. until they had I think 8 or 9 people at their height. At one point Brodie absolutely slaughtered Cody in a match to get the TNT title, which is worth checking out. They became arguably the top heel stable since the Inner Circle stuff at the time was pretty self-contained.

Cody eventually got the TNT belt back in a dog collar match. Brodie was out in December for something unrelated, then his health turned pretty quickly and he passed away. There was a tribute show that's worth tracking down even though it's sad as hell. As a result, Dark Order turned face as sort of a sympathy/solidarity thing, which blurred the kayfabe lines because Brodie was loved backstage by so many people. It became more of a "close friends having good times together" stable rather than a culty one.

Brodie Lee's 8 year old son, Brodie Jr. (numbered Negative One/-1), was made de facto leader of the Dark Order, presumably as the company's way of helping him cope with his father's death, and he would accompany DO to the ring and kick people after DO members beat them. They started having alliances like Tay Conti and Hangman Page, the latter of which was also a friend of Brodie and had also gotten away from The Elite as they all turned heel.

Hangman wasn't their leader, but he hung out with them all the time and they grew to be really good and supportive friends, teaching Page the power of friendship and helping him get his confidence back until he was ready to confront Kenny again. It's been a really good story so far.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Thank you. AEW is good at this whole storytelling thing because i picked up most of that in the last few months of dynamite. I watched the Brodie tribute when it aired and man it was a gut punch, dude was great. I started watching elevation from episode one about a week ago, and seeing -1 show up at ringside is touching, and pretty funny when he throws kicks at the orders opponents, and prompted my question.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
-1 hasn't been on TV for a while so I assume taking him on the road just isn't feasible, and they even took him off TV for a bit during the school year until his grades improved. He was on a lot of the pandemic Darks though.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

-1 is a legitimately funny kid. He will trash talk anyone, and when he has to be pulled away from attacking people (friends, enemies, refs), it always gets a laugh out of me.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The one thing I’ll add about the Dark Order face turn is that before Brodie passed, they were essentially already playing the face version of the group on BTE. They had become a lovable bunch of goofballs on BTE, while remaining (somewhat) more serious heels on the main shows. After Brodie passed, they basically started playing the BTE Dark Order on the main shows.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

The true legends of the modern wrestling era: Wrestlers who have worked for WWF, WCW, (original) ECW, TNA/Impact, Ring of Honor, IWA Mid-South, and JCW:

Terry Funk
Jerry Lynn
Raven
Sandman
Rock N Roll Express
Kid Kash
Justin Credible
Gangrel
Shane Douglas
2 Cold Scorpio
Insane Clown Posse*

* only appeared in a non-wrestling capacity for ECW

Jerry Lynn and Gangrel's non-wrestling appearances in AEW push them even higher, and Gangrel's additonal appearances in GCW, Beyond, AIW, BLP, etc push him into the forefront.

Who else has had matches against Kobashi, Misawa, Kawada, Taue, Inoue, Dick Murdoch, Jerry Lawler, Kurt Angle, the Undertaker, Chris Jericho, Chris Hero, Nigel McGuinness, CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, PCO, Brian Cage, Timothy Thatcher, WALTER, Ricky Shane Page, Orange Cassidy, LA Park, Effy, and Joey Janela?

I'm down with any metric that makes Gangrel #1.

Fangin' and bangin'.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

They gradually recruited low/midcard people like Colt Cabana, Anna Jay, Alan Angels, etc. until they had I think 8 or 9 people at their height. At one point Brodie absolutely slaughtered Cody in a match to get the TNT title, which is worth checking out. They became arguably the top heel stable since the Inner Circle stuff at the time was pretty self-contained.

Cody eventually got the TNT belt back in a dog collar match. Brodie was out in December for something unrelated, then his health turned pretty quickly and he passed away. There was a tribute show that's worth tracking down even though it's sad as hell. As a result, Dark Order turned face as sort of a sympathy/solidarity thing, which blurred the kayfabe lines because Brodie was loved backstage by so many people. It became more of a "close friends having good times together" stable rather than a culty one.

Brodie Lee's 8 year old son, Brodie Jr. (numbered Negative One/-1), was made de facto leader of the Dark Order, presumably as the company's way of helping him cope with his father's death, and he would accompany DO to the ring and kick people after DO members beat them. They started having alliances like Tay Conti and Hangman Page, the latter of which was also a friend of Brodie and had also gotten away from The Elite as they all turned heel.

Hangman wasn't their leader, but he hung out with them all the time and they grew to be really good and supportive friends, teaching Page the power of friendship and helping him get his confidence back until he was ready to confront Kenny again. It's been a really good story so far.

Adding to this, when Brodie was alive, John Silver was treated as the runt of the litter for the Dark Order. He'd always be starting poo poo with Stu that would blow up in his face or he'd say the stupidest stuff that would just set Brodie off. Brodie was regularly abusing him physically and verbally.

During Brodie's last match (the dog collar match), Silver interfered and got brutalized by Cody. In the aftermath on BTE (Brodie's very last appearance in AEW), Brodie screamed at the others for not being out there and told them all to leave except Silver. It ended with the suggestion that Silver had finally earned his respect.

Tony Khan had actually confronted Silver behind the scenes about how he was so entertaining in BTE, but wasn't translating it to TV. Afterwards, Silver became more of a goofball on Dynamite and now we have "JOHNNY HUNGEE" chants.

With Hangman, they were definitely building towards Hangman vs. Brodie as a major feud. After Brodie left TV, but before he died, Hangman lost a PPV match against Omega and had fully severed his relationship with the Elite, which put him at his most depressed and self-hating. The Dark Order saw that as an opportunity to recruit him, which is where they started to move from being an evil cult to just a club of lovable weirdos. Initially, he told them no, but after Matt Hardy tried to convince Hangman to join his group (for the sake of exploiting him financially) and the Dark Order had his back, it was more, "You don't have to be a member, but we'd like it if you just hung out with us."

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Jerry Lynn and Gangrel's non-wrestling appearances in AEW push them even higher

Raven had a brief AEW appearance as well, when they were teasing who would be the Dark Order's Exalted One there was an episode where they cut to him in the crowd and gave a shout out, but didn't really do anything else with him.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

xK1 posted:

Raven had a brief AEW appearance as well, when they were teasing who would be the Dark Order's Exalted One there was an episode where they cut to him in the crowd and gave a shout out, but didn't really do anything else with him.

He was also the voice in one of those videos with the distorted voice of the Exalted One!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

xK1 posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think they even acknowledged it was him. There was just a match that went into the crowd, right in front of him, and left it to the audience to be like “wtf is that Raven?”

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
It sounds so selfish but I'm really sad we never got that Brodie/Hangman match. Hangman freeing Dark Order from their tyrannical boss would have been such great TV.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
With Top Flight being inspired by Young Bucks, Kidd Bandit by Kenny Omega, and Cora Jade being crediting AJ Lee/CM Punk does it seem to anyone else that despite twenty years of WWE dominance they, and TNA, seem to have inspired zero of the next wrestling generation?

Punk, Bryan and Lee are outliers but for being the dominant wrestling medium in the west for twenty years it feels they blazed no trails and left no marks. Am i entirely wrong in this interpretation? I don't see anyone even saying like they wanted to be the next Samoa Joe or AJ Styles. Theres no next Roman, no next Orton, no next Cena, definitely no next Rollins... i guess there might be a future of Bray's and Becky's?

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think they even acknowledged it was him. There was just a match that went into the crowd, right in front of him, and left it to the audience to be like “wtf is that Raven?”

I think you're correct, I thought I remembered Excalibur giving him a shout out, but google is saying that a lot of people didn't even notice him at the time (the 2/19/2020 show in Atlanta).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Reminds me of that comment Tyler Breeze made awhile ago to the effect of "Whenever WWE needs a pop they trot out the guys everyone remembers from their childhood, Stone Cold, the Rock. You think any kid nowadays is gonna go 'Oh poo poo it's Tyler Breeze' in 20 years?"

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Simple. The kids will pop when Stone Cold cameos because theyll be nostalgic from his cameos now.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Reminds me of that comment Tyler Breeze made awhile ago to the effect of "Whenever WWE needs a pop they trot out the guys everyone remembers from their childhood, Stone Cold, the Rock. You think any kid nowadays is gonna go 'Oh poo poo it's Tyler Breeze' 'look everyone it's Tyler' in 20 years?"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
See the thing is Tyler is wrong there, Glacier gets a pop still and that was his tier. But you don't see "i want to be Glacier" but you know Glacier was cool. He'll be fine on the future CHIKARA circuit whatever that might be.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

It sounds so selfish but I'm really sad we never got that Brodie/Hangman match. Hangman freeing Dark Order from their tyrannical boss would have been such great TV.

I don't think it's any more selfish than saying "I wish we got one more album from Bowie." Nothing wrong with wanting to see more work from an artist you loved.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lid posted:

With Top Flight being inspired by Young Bucks, Kidd Bandit by Kenny Omega, and Cora Jade being crediting AJ Lee/CM Punk does it seem to anyone else that despite twenty years of WWE dominance they, and TNA, seem to have inspired zero of the next wrestling generation?

Punk, Bryan and Lee are outliers but for being the dominant wrestling medium in the west for twenty years it feels they blazed no trails and left no marks. Am i entirely wrong in this interpretation? I don't see anyone even saying like they wanted to be the next Samoa Joe or AJ Styles. Theres no next Roman, no next Orton, no next Cena, definitely no next Rollins... i guess there might be a future of Bray's and Becky's?
You're probably not wrong. The current people all grew up in a time when WWE was dominant, ubiquitous, and (perhaps most importantly) readily available. There *was* other stuff around, but it was much harder to find. When I was 16, I had WWF, WCW, and ECW if I wanted to stay up until 2 AM on a Thursday or whatever. It wasn't really until the mid-2000s/early 2010s that alternatives were ubiquitous and relatively easy to get ahold of with the increase in fast internet (and, arguably, the decline in cable). A kid turning 18 today could be watching hours of new wrestling each week and never even turn on a WWE program. Even the ones that do can probably objectively tell Kenny Omega is more interesting to watch than Roman Reigns.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Lid posted:

I feel like a lot guys coming up have cited the Motor City Machine Guns as inspirations and while they weren't homegrown TNA guys they were still featured on a cable show that got roughly the same ratings that WWE currently has now. It's safe to assume some of those wrestlers growing up first saw MCMG on a random Impact! became fans and checked out their matches in other promotions. What I'm saying is TNA has had more influence on modern wrestling than the last 20 years of WWE. This is in no way an endorsement of TNA just that they had a lot of incredible talent that they pissed away.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Can the failure of Tna be put squarely at Hogan and Russo’s door?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Manwithastick posted:

Nah, there were so many weak links in TNA; even in 2006/07 when they were "good" the cracks were glaringly obvious and the only thing keeping things afloat was the talent.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Manwithastick posted:

Who hired them?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

bartok posted:

I feel like a lot guys coming up have cited the Motor City Machine Guns as inspirations and while they weren't homegrown TNA guys they were still featured on a cable show that got roughly the same ratings that WWE currently has now. It's safe to assume some of those wrestlers growing up first saw MCMG on a random Impact! became fans and checked out their matches in other promotions. What I'm saying is TNA has had more influence on modern wrestling than the last 20 years of WWE. This is in no way an endorsement of TNA just that they had a lot of incredible talent that they pissed away.

I've seen the Bucks cite Alex Shelley specifically but not seen much on Chris Sabin. Shelley gets pointed to as the guy who was emulated the most in what became 2010s indie style. Hell Petey Williams might as well have invented the Destroyer and thats ubiquitous now. So yeah maybe the X-Division influenced the 2010 indies but its still more subtle than "i want to be Alex Shelley".

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Even in the late 2000s I was working with some kids in an after-school program and there were a bunch of WWE superfans who loved John Cena and Rey Mysterio and Jeff Hardy, and by the time they hit junior high most of them had fallen out of wrestling but the one kid who stuck with it started showing up and talking about how he'd watched a bunch of Mister Perfect or Hart Foundation or WCW cruiserweight matches on YouTube. Last time I saw him he was excited about AEW starting up, but outside of New Day I don't remember anything past like 2015 that he seemed to care about in WWE, as opposed to being psyched to have discovered old Terry Funk promos or Colt Cabana's podcast or etc.

I don't know what if anything he's into now, but the point is that the upcoming generation of wrestlers don't need to be inspired by current WWE, they don't even need to be primarily inspired by current wrestling period. The next great star might just be watching hours and hours of the Garvin Stomp to perfect it for a new generation.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Renaissance Spam posted:

Nah, there were so many weak links in TNA; even in 2006/07 when they were "good" the cracks were glaringly obvious and the only thing keeping things afloat was the talent.

You can put most of the blame on either the Jarretts or Dixie Carter who greenlit all the dumb poo poo in the company. You can also just blame the fact that TNA didn't have money and never seemed to make money. I don't know the financials but my impression was they've spent their entire history being propped up from cash infusions rather than turning a profit on its own merit.

Make no mistake; if Tony Khan wasn't a billionaire AEW wouldn't be in the position it's in, no matter how good the product is.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
It also wouldn't be in the position it's in if Tony was dumber than Dixie

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Even in the late 2000s I was working with some kids in an after-school program and there were a bunch of WWE superfans who loved John Cena and Rey Mysterio and Jeff Hardy, and by the time they hit junior high most of them had fallen out of wrestling but the one kid who stuck with it started showing up and talking about how he'd watched a bunch of Mister Perfect or Hart Foundation or WCW cruiserweight matches on YouTube. Last time I saw him he was excited about AEW starting up, but outside of New Day I don't remember anything past like 2015 that he seemed to care about in WWE, as opposed to being psyched to have discovered old Terry Funk promos or Colt Cabana's podcast or etc.

I don't know what if anything he's into now, but the point is that the upcoming generation of wrestlers don't need to be inspired by current WWE, they don't even need to be primarily inspired by current wrestling period. The next great star might just be watching hours and hours of the Garvin Stomp to perfect it for a new generation.

I mean the last part they have 20 years of Randy Orton tapes to study

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manwithastick posted:

The company had already lost 95 million dollars by the time they brought them in.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
How many Forbidden Door matches have there been?

Jericho vs Tanahashi was arguably the first. There's been the US title defences and KENTA showing up. Have there been any more?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Do you count Impact? Juice, Finlay, and White have shown up on Impact and wrestled people who are appearing on AEW a lot. Kojima also wrestled on Impact but didn’t wrestle anyone at all affiliated with AEW.

Rocky and Narita were both on Dark. Narita accompanied Nagata to the ring for his AEW-hosted challenge for the US title.

Finally, Lio Rush wrestled at Double or Nothing this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If we're specifically counting AEW talent wrestling NJPW talent, there's the KENTA appearances on Dynamite. Yuji Nagata and Hikuleo wrestling for the US title, Archer on this weekend's AEW show, and Mox wrestling KENTA on Strong.

Not sure the FinJuice stuff or the Bullet Club/Elite stuff in Impact/NJPW counts, I believe Anderson and Gallows are technically still Impact talent, albeit they're on Dynamite as much as on Impact.