Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Gaspy Conana posted:

I've not touched creative mode because I believed that I needed to trick myself into feeling like I've accomplished X/Y/Z to get to the cool stuff but I'm tempted to try it because of Earwicker's posts. Also I think pure exploration can have its own challenges even if they aren't mechanical.

Like, should I spent more time in this system with only superheated planets that I'm guessing aren't going to be super interesting to me or head off to the next? What if the planets DO have cool stuff and I'll miss it if I move on?!?

You can always go back to old bases and look around! Generally speaking the cool stuff is the planet, so if you aren't a huge fan of where you're at now, I'd move on and invest your time into a system that's more interesting to you.

For me, I have two main bases. One is an activated indium mine for EZ money, and the other is my base that I built on top of a portal. I go to other planets to take pictures and see what's out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Stare-Out posted:

I mostly play this in VR and I was wondering what a VR player looks like to other players, VR or flat. Do they see me running around the Nexus with my arms outstretched like I'm a second-rate Superman? Do the see me waving at them? Or is my character normal from their perspective?

I've bumped into a few VR players, it animates hand capture as far as I can remember

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Party Boat posted:

I've bumped into a few VR players, it animates hand capture as far as I can remember

That has to look pretty ridiculous. Excellent.

I've not found another VR player in the wild yet myself even though the Nexus is usually pretty packed. Also VR sucks for a Gek body type, your arms are so stubby. Something something reach exceeds grasp or the other way around.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if you want to have more of a multiplayer experience outside of expeditions and the nexus and specific adventures you can navigate to one of the main "civilization hubs" to experience a more crowded universe. i think the Galactic Hub Project is the biggest but there are others. i have a base on the capital planet and while it doesnt feel remotely like a city you do bump into other players and their bases fairly often, it is a nice change from the emptiness of most of the universe

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I generally build one large base wherever I start, and stash interesting stuff I find there. Then anything else is just a little shack and a solar powered portal, so I can zip between planets/places of interest.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Stare-Out posted:

That has to look pretty ridiculous. Excellent.

I've not found another VR player in the wild yet myself even though the Nexus is usually pretty packed. Also VR sucks for a Gek body type, your arms are so stubby. Something something reach exceeds grasp or the other way around.

Regular gek is pretty silly sometimes too. I've had trouble interacting with stuff in derelicts before because my model couldn't get close enough to something on a high shelf.
On ps4 at least I don't think it models where a VR players hands are, either that or I've never encountered a VR player.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think this run of the game (I usually play while the Olympics are going because it's a good game to play while also consuming more sports than healthy) is the most fun since pretty near the release. I actually liked the game as it started and have found a lot of the additions took me away from the stuff I liked rather than enhanced the game for me. The base resets, having to redo tutorials that I already did, being stranded on the wrong side of a portal, after an update, didn't usually make whatever thing that was new worth it, or anything but bolted on. But I think everything now the systems all work together well enough that I don't feel like I wasted my time doing all those missions or tutorials and such.

And I didn't plan on engaging with the living ship stuff but someone gave me the parts randomly while I was just at the Nexus (gating some of the cool designs there was probably smart because I never ever would've gone to the multiplayer zone otherwise but it's a pretty fascinating place if you are kind of making a story up in your head about this as you go like I am), and getting surprised by the pulse drive event was fun and I've enjoyed going down that rabbit hole.

I do hope they do some work to ships like people were talking about a few pages ago. I wish flying was either more fun or that it could be more automated, either way would work for me.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Probably the Coolest Thing about No Man's Sky is that its a different game for everyone who's ever played it.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Earwicker posted:

if you want to have more of a multiplayer experience outside of expeditions and the nexus and specific adventures you can navigate to one of the main "civilization hubs" to experience a more crowded universe. i think the Galactic Hub Project is the biggest but there are others. i have a base on the capital planet and while it doesnt feel remotely like a city you do bump into other players and their bases fairly often, it is a nice change from the emptiness of most of the universe

I'd be happy to open up my world to anyone looking for a home planet. I built a base on top of a portal, and it's got every necessity you might need to get started, including a vault.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rick posted:

I do hope they do some work to ships like people were talking about a few pages ago. I wish flying was either more fun or that it could be more automated, either way would work for me.

agreed. namely, the combat is bland and unengaging, which is my biggest complaint. even against the hardest enemies, using the default lasers with no upgrades i can take them easily. maybe make what kind of weapon is most effective against the enemy (and you) tied to ship type, ie fighters are weak to missiles and haulers are weak to beams or whatever, and also just overhaul the spaceflight mechanics, let us have upgrades for agility that come at the cost of shielding and vice versa, etc. i don't need it to be like, tie fighter levels of depth or anything, but i also don't want it to feel as extraneous and pointless as the arwing sections from starfox adventures.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I want to have a hanger that can store more ships. I know i can only fly one, but id like to have 1 of each kind plus some exotics.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yeah

also exploration ships and shuttles should be made more useful, i dunno why you'd ever choose either of them over a fighter or a hauler beyond finding a decent one early either cheap or crashed to upgrade to from your starter

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ZombieCrew posted:

I want to have a hanger that can store more ships. I know i can only fly one, but id like to have 1 of each kind plus some exotics.
you can collect up to six ships, but they'll be stored off-screen until you get a freighter for them to sit in.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Ghostlight posted:

you can collect up to six ships, but they'll be stored off-screen until you get a freighter for them to sit in.

Yep, i got a frighter and 5 ships. I just want more. Like a jay leno collection of cool looking S class ships. Once you get an idium farm up and running, its hard to find stuff to spend credits on.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I think I hosed up. I'm fairly early on and had an ok multi-tool, and I had found two big economy upgrades that gave extra cash when scanning fauna and wildlife. 200k a pop usually, good money early on. Later today I ended up exchanging it for a better tool and I didn't realize all that tech doesn't migrate over. I think the stuff I unlocked was able to be built into the new tool but the bonus money ones must have been one-off things? They're not buildable and that old tool is now lost to the ether.

I think I've found better ways of making money outrunning sentinels while heisting grav balls in an exocraft now, but that scanner was always good for a quick mil or two on new planets.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Buy S Class scanner upgrades from the multitool vendor in space stations and they will pop for that kind of bonus; you can have up to 3 in any given multitool

Also if I remember correctly it's never worth bothering with anything less than S class for that particular mod

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yeah

also exploration ships and shuttles should be made more useful, i dunno why you'd ever choose either of them over a fighter or a hauler beyond finding a decent one early either cheap or crashed to upgrade to from your starter

it's one of those things where there used to be a reason to go for them but they got QOL'd out of existence

shuttles have always sucked but the point was they were cheap so they'd be your entry level shuffle as you rolled from NPC to NPC hoping something had a bit more cargo space

i think there are people who still maintain and play on like the vanilla 1.0.X version if you really have a taste for masochism

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

An armory where you can keep various MT/weapons would be cool

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Exploration ships have big bonuses to hyperdrive range. I don't find the bonuses to combat that fighters have to be sufficiently necessary given how easy combat is, so explorers it is for me.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
They technically do but the bonus also pales in comparsion to a freighter anyways, so I usually stick with an exotic with nearly-no-hyperdrive on it and get to skip the hassle of pirate attacks ever showing up

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I like the mobility of fighters, they are just more fun to fly, especially now that you can fly closer to the ground.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
They also look better by miles than anything else in my eyes. The fantasy is to be an X-Wing pilot not the Nostromo :colbert:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

agreed. namely, the combat is bland and unengaging, which is my biggest complaint. even against the hardest enemies, using the default lasers with no upgrades i can take them easily. maybe make what kind of weapon is most effective against the enemy (and you) tied to ship type, ie fighters are weak to missiles and haulers are weak to beams or whatever, and also just overhaul the spaceflight mechanics, let us have upgrades for agility that come at the cost of shielding and vice versa, etc. i don't need it to be like, tie fighter levels of depth or anything, but i also don't want it to feel as extraneous and pointless as the arwing sections from starfox adventures.

Some rock paper scissors does sound nice because once you find your pet weapon (or, just use the starting ones because as you say they're good enough) there's no real reason to change. If anything I should probably uninstall everything from my daily flyer, it was just so hard to get the stuff for some of those weapons in the old days that it is a hard to.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

They technically do but the bonus also pales in comparsion to a freighter anyways, so I usually stick with an exotic with nearly-no-hyperdrive on it and get to skip the hassle of pirate attacks ever showing up

I think this is a thing where I have to get over all the workarounds I came up with to make the universe more navigable. SInce just loving accidentally losing your ship used to be a thing, I never used my freighter to warp anywhere, and instead just parked it in The Birdy System because it's a place I always remember how to get back to via portal address (all birds) and with my freighter there, always a way to get my ship back. But I guess now that I can just summon my ships anywhere I can start using it to travel.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I might have been doing freightering wrong or missed something but my fighter has an 1800LY range and my freighter's barely over 900 with all three upgrades anyway so I always just fighter jump and then summon the freighter (this also prevents me ever having to make freighter fuel, which is nice, since my fighter only spends 3% of a tank on each jump)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

fast cars loose anus posted:

I might have been doing freightering wrong or missed something but my fighter has an 1800LY range and my freighter's barely over 900 with all three upgrades anyway so I always just fighter jump and then summon the freighter (this also prevents me ever having to make freighter fuel, which is nice, since my fighter only spends 3% of a tank on each jump)

There's 3 crafted upgrades but you can get 6 from-abandoned-freighter upgrades (3 per page) that cap out at 250ly a pop, when combined in the right way I want to say that it caps out at somewhere north of 5k but south of 8k? it's been awhile but I think I posted my adventures trying to max it out ITT at some point

also I think there's some weird bullshit where early freighters have a lower jump range than ones from a later patch, not sure how true that is

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
oh, yeah I never really hosed around too much with the abandoned freighter things

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i am still mystified by the science of correctly ordering hyperdrives in the inventory and just kind of shuffle them at random till the highest number comes up

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

So does anyone have any thoughts on the Frontiers stinger at the end of that announcement video? Looked kinda creepy to me, and the crescent moon in the O is interesting.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m really ready for the space gameplay to get beefed up a bit. Better flight and space combat model and such. Make me forget about Elite dammit, I know you want to!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I've been waiting for a mini expansion to focus solely on combat but I'm increasingly thinking it's not something they care about much

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

victrix posted:

I've been waiting for a mini expansion to focus solely on combat but I'm increasingly thinking it's not something they care about much

the exploration is the real meat of the game so if they are ignoring space combat for, for example, multi-biome planets or larger solar systems or whatever, then sure.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TheWorldsaStage posted:

So does anyone have any thoughts on the Frontiers stinger at the end of that announcement video? Looked kinda creepy to me, and the crescent moon in the O is interesting.

The title reveal was in the style of Alien, so this must be the xenomorph update.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

More stuff for unclaimed star systems would be cool, imo. Give us deep space Frontier stuff.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

victrix posted:

I'd love some expansion in combat. Fleet battles, 6dof controls, etc. It's an area that really hasn't been touched much since launch. We're kind of in the extreme minority on this, though. :/

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

victrix posted:

Exactly. Combat is perfunctory at best and every other aspect of the game feels so much richer now that it’s even more noticeable how much combat lags behind.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah my low key bet would be tweaks/overhaul to the procgen and a nonzero chance of
- it only affects galaxies >256, after that one poor guy who named a paradise world after his dead son and came back later to find it turned into an infested biome
- easier methods of traversing those galaxies, or at least "to 255"

but who knows for sure. I think it's pretty safe to say we won't be seeing significant changes to the flight or combat systems any time soon, although I'd be pretty happy with just some more QOL adds in terms of expanding maximum multitools/ships and maximum base parts per save file (but I've said that every update since I started playing, so)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

I’m really ready for the space gameplay to get beefed up a bit. Better flight and space combat model and such. Make me forget about Elite dammit, I know you want to!

yeah theyve done some good improvements to the flight model with past updates but there's still room for improvement, and combat has never been good. usually its just a mild annoyance you have to deal with sometimes but there are definitely ways they could make it actually fun, grouping up with other players or ai fighters to blow up capital ships and even space stations etc.

i dont know if it would be possible or popular enough to be worthwhile but a special pvp mode where players can fight each others ships and attack each others' bases and build turrets and other defenses etc could be a lot of fun. i know it goes against the vibe of the game a bit but would be way more interesting then fighting the crappy ai pilots

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Combat is never going to be good as long as it’s strictly optional

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think the game would feel a bit grander if the first planet you spawned on was a place you ended up spending a lot of time on before you can build a ship to leave for space. It was really jarring showing up on icy snow planet with how quickly I could leave. I stayed for longer than was necessary walking all over to various "points of interest" which ended up not being interesting at all and incredibly common and trivial once you get into the flow of the game. All the awe and wonder of like, ooh what's this crazy space berry, better pick it up since it's probably unique to this planet --> jk nothing is unique, everything is the same everywhere and you're a loving moron for having picked up most of this poo poo along the way since it'll be a dozen hours before you even optionally can use it. IIRC I had to hope to another world before they even gave me the power to build anything.

Reckon that can't work until there are multi-biome planets at the very least.

I'm more curious about what their next game will be, can't see them just making NMS but Even More Better, so I'm hoping it's something with the same grandness of NMS but compacted down to one huge world containing all the diversity of the galaxy in one place, but it's a realer-scale world so you could co-exist for months on the same planet as other players and still not encounter one another until you actively seek them out. Building up your own city and state or continent or whatever could be just as expansive as exploring a shallow galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Khanstant posted:

I think the game would feel a bit grander if the first planet you spawned on was a place you ended up spending a lot of time on before you can build a ship to leave for space. It was really jarring showing up on icy snow planet with how quickly I could leave. I stayed for longer than was necessary walking all over to various "points of interest" which ended up not being interesting at all and incredibly common and trivial once you get into the flow of the game. All the awe and wonder of like, ooh what's this crazy space berry, better pick it up since it's probably unique to this planet --> jk nothing is unique, everything is the same everywhere and you're a loving moron for having picked up most of this poo poo along the way since it'll be a dozen hours before you even optionally can use it. IIRC I had to hope to another world before they even gave me the power to build anything.

Reckon that can't work until there are multi-biome planets at the very least.

I'm more curious about what their next game will be, can't see them just making NMS but Even More Better, so I'm hoping it's something with the same grandness of NMS but compacted down to one huge world containing all the diversity of the galaxy in one place, but it's a realer-scale world so you could co-exist for months on the same planet as other players and still not encounter one another until you actively seek them out. Building up your own city and state or continent or whatever could be just as expansive as exploring a shallow galaxy.

Please make No Mans Sky but without all this space travel and planet discovery garbage