Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Nocturtle posted:

You quit your high demand DBA job? Are you getting into amateur epidemiology? If Nate Silver can do it you certainly can.

I don't know about R.I.M.'s experience, but in my own the fun optimization and design tables parts aren't the whole job. A lot of it is boring and tedious poo poo, especially if the job is high paying and in demand because they want you to come in and unfuck a bunch of poo poo. The big reason the designing tables part is a big deal is because if it wasn't done well it's like 1000000x harder to unfuck 10 years and millions of records later.

Also you're mostly invisible when you're doing a good job and generally only get attention if you make a mistake. In many organizations your relationship with everyone else you work with is seen as oppositional.

Edit: KITTY!

Forseti fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1427705312367218697

that's south fl, ft. lauderdale area, near miami

quote:

They are entirely out of child intensive care units and at 99% capacity for adult ICUs.

As the delta variant of COVID-19 sweeps through Florida, hospitals in Broward are almost out of beds, an unaudited report the county published Tuesday says.

Hospitals across the county as of 11 a.m. reported that 98% of their acute care beds — beds accommodating patients for up to 18-day stays due to severe illness or injury — are now occupied, leaving just 70 of 3,270 such beds available with enough hospital staff available to properly treat patients.

They are entirely out of child intensive care units, of which there are 74, and are at 99% capacity for adult ICUs, with just 3 of 491 open for use.

Of 4,441 total staffed hospital beds in the county, just 187 are unoccupied, according to the report, which makes clear the true number of available beds “may vary significantly from the number depicted,” as hospitals may be able to add more beds and staff as needed.

Whether the rate at which Broward hospitals can add staff and beds can outpace the rate of COVID-19-positive patients being admitted remains to be seen.

There are 1,683 patients who tested positive for the virus hospitalized in Broward now. Of those, 230 are on ventilators.

COVID-19 patients now account for about half of all ventilators in use in the county.

Of 705 total ventilators Broward hospitals have on hand, 230 remain available.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
lmao my county is well over the national average for vaccination rate and one of the most vaccinated counties in the state and these are the hospitalization numbers for the last month.

That's specifically people hospitalized for COVID, they split out anyone that is hospitalized for something else but tested positive in to a separate chart.

2900% growth in a month.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

yeah I'm a DBA

Dick
Butt
Aficionado

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

osprey posted:

https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1427705312367218697

that's south fl, ft. lauderdale area, near miami

Are they sure? They should probably recount them, just in case.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Google translated, gonna leave it as-is.

quote:

School closed down by corona - only one student was met in 2nd grade

Professor predicts streak of local outbreaks, but at the same time does not believe in large repatriations.

Happy children's voices usually fill the premises at Hem School near Skive. But less than two weeks after school starts, the premises are again almost on holiday. On Tuesday, only three out of 51 students in the schooling showed up for classes. And that is due to the corona, says school principal Helle Kappel Nielsen.

- It went really well the first week after school started. We thought we were going back to normal.

Since August 9, one infected student has turned into ten, and that has sent even more students home because they are close contacts. In addition, some parents have also chosen to keep siblings at home from school.

- We must continue to believe that we get through the corona and that it gets a shape we can be in, it sounds from the headmaster, who expects to be back to normal on Monday next week.

In the large, empty classroom, Mille Esager Melgaard was today the only student from 2nd grade who could practice reading with Danish teacher Mette Nordendahl.

- It's nice that we have more time, but it's actually a little strange, says Mille.

Her teacher points out that one is trying to get the best out of the situation. Therefore, the three students and their teachers today had made lasagna for lunch.

- When we have a different day, we also have to do some different things, Mette Nordendahl explains and adds:

- We are really looking forward to the other students coming again. This is really nice, but it will be nice to get the others back.

The repatriations at Hem School are far from unique in the region. In Holstebro, the large school Rolf Krake is currently also affected by a corona outbreak. Here it has gone beyond 8.C, where 7 are reported infected, while 15 have now been sent home as close contacts.

- We had probably hoped that we could solve more so that the students could be more together across the year groups. But with the start we have got, it will be difficult. This confirms that we have to keep them in class for a little while longer, says school principal Ole Priess.

The Danish Health and Medicines Authority's director Søren Brostrøm warned even before school started that the autumn would offer an increase in infection.

- Now that the Danes are returning from summer vacation and coming back to work and school, and the last restrictions are being phased out, there will be more infection in our society, it sounded from the director in an interview with Berlingske .

The same interpretation is repeated by Lars Østergaard, professor at the Department of Clinical Medicine and chief physician of the Department of Infectious Diseases at Aarhus University Hospital. He points out that eruptions like those in Holstebro and near Skive will fill the whole country.

- It would be wishful thinking to think that we can return to something reminiscent of before the corona, he assesses.

HOW COULD THIS BE???????

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 17, 2021

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/gerri777/status/1427726795122515970?s=21

Serf
May 5, 2011

i wouldn't worry, the returns from broward county always come in late

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

osprey posted:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1427709663236268036

as a floridian this just makes me crack and ping and laugh crazily

ok just for fun i'm gonna turn on the local 911 dispatch right now and see how long it takes for just my area (which does not include any big cities) to get to 5 covid or covid-like-symptoms calls

keep in mind these aren't cases, they're people desperately calling the emergency line for help because they can't loving breathe anymore or their heart is exploding

*bell ring*

12 minutes!

lmao if new zealand falls to delta. truly every democracy in the world just obliterated by a virus. if they let it creep up to like 25 cases a day and don't do harsher weld them in the homes style lockdowns, it's done.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Stereotype posted:

ICU Patients:
Strokes: 1
Injuries: 3
COVID Cases: 321
Heart Attacks: 2

someone please help me figure out what to do, my state is dying

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I definitely lost my vaccine card

If I wrote a fictional story where a guy starts up a second vaccine card under an alter ego, what kinds of things would he realistically have to look out for?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Alabama has 2 ICU beds available in the entire state

https://www.wsfa.com/2021/08/16/alabama-hits-pandemic-low-2-icu-beds-available/

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
looks like china is getting its delta surge under control. they had about 100-120 cases per day a couple weeks ago but are down to the 50's and dropping

(cases per day in reverse chronological order):

lmao china beats the virus again. the west will not survive another delta-like jump in transmissibility. it might not survive delta! lol

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Whenever I think of these guys, I think about how they're uncle/nephew and apparently have a reputation for double teaming women together

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A Bag of Milk posted:

I definitely lost my vaccine card

If I wrote a fictional story where a guy starts up a second vaccine card under an alter ego, what kinds of things would he realistically have to look out for?

IMO If you are worried about an encounter with the law for some legitimate reason that I can't think of but very well could exist for you, consider not falsifying federal records

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1427727450759385091

KlavierVogel
Feb 27, 2004

[] an old crow spoke to me [] busted leg limped down the street [] said we're both tied to our own trees [] cut me loose, cut me loose []

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Forseti posted:

I have no idea what their code looks like, but it's not going to scan every row with an index there* if it's written in a way that can use the index (which yours is). Even if it did, 100k rows should be a joke to a modern server, especially with caches.

What it most likely would decide to do given your query and index is index seek at O(log*n) to get the page's worth of indexes, then retrieve the data for only those rows. Although in the case of the drop down, they shouldn't be pulling back the entire row data to populate it since it doesn't use that.

There are a lot of things you can do to speed things up, starting with at least a prepared statement so it doesn't have to go through the query planner every time. For something that gets done very frequently though they should really be using a stored procedure.

* In general. The query engine can decide that it's faster to scan depending on its statistics and what exactly the query is doing. This is one of the reasons it's important to keep the statistics up to date, which can be a nightly task (or however frequently it starts getting out of whack).

The cost of a growing thread should scale like the red line here but it's very easy to mess it up and end up with the cyan line or worse if the developer is just banging out naive code (or letting some ORM library write the code for them because SQL is "too hard")

To tie it to the thread, this stuff is depressingly similar to epidemiology from what I can tell. Paying people who know what they're doing is too hard and they also tend to tell you things you don't want to hear. Just let some dingus who doesn't know wtf a database is bang it out with the ORM for max quarterly profits.

Someone may have posted it in the 5 pages since but ZDR at some point posted a big thing of "why the forums are as dumb as they are" when it comes to big megathreads but I can't for the life of me remember what the specific issue in this case was, although I'd put money on "in a way that can use the index" being the load bearing statement, aka "assuming an index actually exists outside of an index on thread id"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

looks like china is getting its delta surge under control. they had about 100-120 cases per day a couple weeks ago but are down to the 50's and dropping

lmao china beats the virus again. the west will not survive another delta-like jump in transmissibility. it might not survive delta! lol

It's tough to win when the wisdom of the crowd in the west picks leaders like Sleepy Joe, Trump and Bojo.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

🎵They call Alabama the Crimson Tide 🎵
🎵 Call me Deacon Blues 🎵

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Ornery and Hornery posted:

did you schedule an appointment or just walk-in?
scheduled an appointment

did the same for my dad earlier today without any problems, so it should still be possible

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

The night they let ol' dixie drown

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Now do pediatric ICU nearly full... it's more states (Arkansas, Tennesse, etc.)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I know at work all the Chuds still believe just the Flu / It's not confirmed COV19 cases.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Love the complete media blackout

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

looks expensive

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crazypoops posted:

Love the complete media blackout

the absolute gibbering fear about another market crash

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
this is the guy in charge of the vermont department of health at a press conference........... today

https://twitter.com/JaneLindholm/status/1427670755828019210

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

mdemone posted:

is there any data aggregation site that shows ICU availability, broadly across regions or nationwide?

You could try this, zoomed out, or just search by state:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-hospitals-near-you.html

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Ornery and Hornery posted:

update for first attempt at a booster:

DENIED

filled out form, was getting processed and right before receiving the shot, the pharmacist revealed that she sleuthed out I had received two shots already.

she asked if I had any underlying health conditions and I pulled a clone high lmao
lmao owned
just go fake name it

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Just walked past a TV playing CNN and Tapper was "grilling" some poor doctor in Houston about the TSA's continuing of mask mandates with the question "Why not mandate vaccines? Wouldn't that be more in line with respecting the science?"

:shepicide:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

etalian posted:

I know at work all the Chuds still believe just the Flu / It's not confirmed COV19 cases.

If you feel like poking an ant-hill ask them what they think has all the hospitals full up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Joementum posted:

this is the guy in charge of the vermont department of health at a press conference........... today

lmao I guess he didn't read the leaked CDC report.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

If you feel like poking an ant-hill ask them what they think has all the hospitals full up.

Their response was the media was just making things up to make the situation look worse than it actually is.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

osprey posted:

good luck goon

EFFORT POST INCOMING

my advice to anyone looking for a wfh gig:

- make an email address just for job searching

- set up a google phone number or buy a burner or something if you don't want your phone number sold to every scammer and coldcalling salesperson on the planet. or be ready to change your phone number after you land a job

- make a resume. in the resume, briefly describe your wfh setup (pc specs, # of monitors if you have multiples, internet connection type and speed, etc). say you have remote work experience. (if you don't actually have remote work experience, just lie and say you do remote video captioning work on Rev or some poo poo like that. "remote work experience" is just a way of saying "i know how to use computer")

- make a nice looking linkedin profile with a picture of yourself and set it to "looking for work"

- may want to go ahead and install and (re)familiarize yourself with the common remote job programs: office, zoom, slack, teams, ringcentral

- prep ahead of time for interviews. i suck at talking to people so i made a cheat sheet with answers to common interview questions. kept me from floundering around too much. be prepared for video call interviews - get a cam and headset if you don't have them. don't sweat it if you bomb the first few interviews, just think of them as practice runs

- sign up for multiple job search sites. i used indeed, linkedin, zip recruiter, rat race rebellion, my state's employment site, and a temp agency for the field i was looking in. i liked indeed the best because they have a good remote-only search, employers have to pay to post so that cuts down on scam postings, and their mobile app made it very easy for me to spam out my resume from my phone literally all day long. it was even easy to do simple little cover letters on there because it autosaves the last one you sent, so you can just edit it a little bit each time as needed instead of writing a whole new one every time. i got the most responses from indeed and that's where i got hired from

- run searches at least once a day, multiple times a day is even better. some sites will let you set up alerts for new postings. job postings pop up quickly, but they get taken down quickly too when hundreds of resumes immediately start pouring in

- apply like crazy. apply for everything legit looking that seems tolerable, even if it's only tolerable enough to be a placeholder job until you find something else. apply for poo poo you think you probably don't have a chance in hell of getting. go loving hog wild

- if you have enough free time, start stacking up free certifications, even if they're not relevant to the jobs you're looking for. they pad out your resume nicely and it makes you look like a smart, ambitious person who is willing and able to learn new stuff

it's tiresome, it's annoying, it sucks, it will make you want to scream

but somehow even with my lovely weak rear end resume i managed to brute force my way into a fully remote job that i never expected to get, and is better paying than any loving job than i have ever had before in my entire life. not trying to brag, i'm trying to encourage and motivate the jobseekers in here. if a horrible little goony goon like me with a mostly food service background and no social skills can do it, so can you! it is possible, keep looking, don't give up!!!

now might be a better time than ever to score a good remote gig. boomers are retiring or dying out of the work force in droves. some of your potential competition is literally too loving sick to even apply for jobs right now. many companies are shifting to remote on a more permanent basis and are desperate to fill suddenly open positions

every day I wake up and thank satan I don’t have to work for anyone anymore holy gently caress

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

That's a very white audience

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SplitSoul posted:

Google translated, gonna leave it as-is.

HOW COULD THIS BE???????

my school opens in three weeks in the middle of Rochester NY

lol

also, if I could append this to the record: lmao

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Joementum posted:

what’s a little white lie to encourage vaccination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Business Gorillas posted:

Whenever I think of these guys, I think about how they're uncle/nephew and apparently have a reputation for double teaming women together

whomst among us