Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
don't want to shock anyone but Cornyn might be a stupid piece of poo poo lol

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1427608737343328325?s=20

https://twitter.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1427519647620861953

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol that rules

until the trump era I always took cornyn for a bush-era neocon but he has shown himself to be dumber than ted cruz in especially the last eighteen months

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/LinaHidalgoTX/status/1427694053001412608

Next time we should start with this. Just have a federal fund set aside to pay people to get vaccinated

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

How would a war between China and the USA go down. Don't they have a painfully underwhelming military for a nation that size? I remember reading history of the conflicts between Japan and China, how because of the lavish greed and sheer ignorance of refusing the most basic maintenance upkeeps for their military strength, Japan completely shellacked China in one of their naval battles.

I'm sure it's not that dire these days but definitely wouldn't rule it out that it's a modern age POS. China would suffer horrendous casualties compared to the USA, would probably lose a lot of their soft-power hold they've carefully jenga'd there way into.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Parrotine posted:

How would a war between China and the USA go down. Don't they have a painfully underwhelming military for a nation that size? I remember reading history of the conflicts between Japan and China, how because of the lavish greed and sheer ignorance of refusing the most basic maintenance upkeeps for their military strength, Japan completely shellacked China in one of their naval battles.

I'm sure it's not that dire these days but definitely wouldn't rule it out that it's a modern age POS. China would suffer horrendous casualties compared to the USA, would probably lose a lot of their soft-power hold they've carefully jenga'd there way into.

They have nukes so it probably wouldn’t happen in the first place

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Parrotine posted:

How would a war between China and the USA go down.

Badger of Basra posted:

War… war never changes…

nelson fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 17, 2021

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Also love the:

Country
Country
Country
Country
CONTINENT
Country

comparisons. What a joke he is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KXAN_News/status/1427696094704713731

Hahah it's gonna be one hell of a school year

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

Sure, this part makes all-out total war a lot less likely, but get the wrong idiot in charge at the wrong time, and anything's possible!

Parrotine posted:

The Chinese navy still has a very long way to go until it's anywhere close in strength to the US navy, but this ain't the early 1900s, either - China's closed a lot of the economic gap and Japan has had a limited navy since WW2 and the US Navy took over the role of water cops in that part of the world. The most plausible pathway for the US and China to get into a fight in the medium-term is if China decides to assert its authority over territory around the South China Sea, particularly if they ever decide to Make Taiwan China Again. Assuming the US is even willing to fight to keep Taiwan independent (which could be a big "if" in a decade or two), that conflict wouldn't turn solely on naval power - it's only roughly 100 miles from mainland China to Taiwan, so that fight isn't about beating the US Navy straight-up, it's about getting enough boats and airplanes full of troops past the US Navy. (Which brings us back to Cornyn's tweet above - troop counts in Taiwan are something that China might be a little sensitive to.)

zoux posted:

My oldest is just shy of school age and I'm grateful for that for many reasons right now but one of which is that I'm pretty sure I'd get in a fistfight with the nearest anti-masker/vaxxer if I went to a school meeting right now

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 17, 2021

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/KXAN_News/status/1427696094704713731

Well that's battery and probably assault. Sure hope someone went to jail.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1427730569673183236

Jessica Gonzales was Lying About It, as was obvious

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/meghanskornia/status/1427657609646153735?s=21

Cop got a booboo

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/jesus_jimz/status/1427734793815474181?s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1427722633685213186

And then...

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1427735050033016836

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
uh oh spaghetti-o's

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pray for his health, because guess who's on deck

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

As much as I wouldn't mind Abbot gone, he's vaccinated so outside of freak odds it's a moot point

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Is this the first time it's come out in any meaningful way that he's vaccinated? Hopefully this ruins his credibility among the hogs.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

finish the job, roni

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sardonik posted:

Is this the first time it's come out in any meaningful way that he's vaccinated? Hopefully this ruins his credibility among the hogs.

Yeah West is going to tear into him for the vaccination thing I bet.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The only moral vaccination is my political teammate's vaccination, I imagine.

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

why couldn't this have happened before the vaccine

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

He has no symptoms, and yet he’s receiving the monoclonal antibody treatment? So are they lying about his symptoms, or just breezily highlighting the special treatment he gets?

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

He has no symptoms, and yet he’s receiving the monoclonal antibody treatment? So are they lying about his symptoms, or just breezily highlighting the special treatment he gets?

Yeah this seems odd. Either way, it's bullshit that folks dying of COVID are coming into overflowing ICUs and he's just getting that off the bat. Still, feeling schadenfreude about this news.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1427730569673183236

Jessica Gonzales was Lying About It, as was obvious

I don't know why she thought being suspicious about it would be better. You can justify a wedding - a vacation just looks bad, and the news demoralized too many Texas Dems.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sardonik posted:

Abbott, and Patrick and Phelan for that matter, have been extremely pro-vaccine, though they won't lift a finger to do anything about it

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If they were extremely pro vaccine they would be doing vaccine mandates

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

True enough, but also no polity in the world (?) is doing vaccine mandates.

Obviously they are working to help the virus by refusing to let local public health officials do the bare minimum of mitigation, but where we are now, I'm not sure vaccine mandates would move the needle on anything unless the state was willing to arrest thousands of scofflaws over it. I think we're kind of locked in at this point

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 17, 2021

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/TompOfficial/status/1427741146793615362?s=20

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I wonder who Abbott's going to sue for this

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Parrotine posted:

A couple years ago they were parading around some hypersonic (5x speed of sound or higher) missiles and, assuming they actually developed them, my Flight Performance prof was beating the "you need to work on this for the US" drum because we currently have no defense for that.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Got my Texas vax three weeks after Abbot, maybe I have the corona too?

How long is the Harris county wait for getting your result back? For me it's been 31 hours by now and gone from collected to receiced to processing when visualizing the status at the linked lab info system.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
in the highly unlikely scenario we enter a shooting war with China the Strait of Taiwan becomes a no man's land that will eat any ships upto and including aircraft carriers dumb enough to enter it. it basically turns into a giant stalemate since China can't push across the strait and we're going to suffer horrendous losses against an actual integrated air defence system and infinite anti-ship missiles

but this will not happen until the environmental collapse and water wars start and the status quo is broken

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Abbot was actually super vaccinated and got a booster shot before they were approved for the public.

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1427761231801237504

Quoting from USPOL.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

It's either a badge of honor or a mark of stupidity.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

mastajake posted:

A couple years ago they were parading around some hypersonic (5x speed of sound or higher) missiles and, assuming they actually developed them, my Flight Performance prof was beating the "you need to work on this for the US" drum because we currently have no defense for that.

Back in 2012 my jet and rocket propulsion professor was saying the same thing. “We need hypersonic missiles to shoot down other hypersonic missiles like right the gently caress now”.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
this is the only hypersonic missile america needs baby

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
As everyone knows, the only way to stop a bad guy with a hypersonic missile is a good guy with a hypersonic missile.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Do they get out medals for getting Covid in the GOP yet? They seem to feel very strongly about this anti-mask mandate thing as a policy issue and getting the maximum exposure to Covid possible in their states so I'd swear they'd wear it like a badge of honor when it doesn't end up killing them.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Think ol' Legless catching the rona will make him rethink the mask mandate stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

The Bananana posted:

Think ol' Legless catching the rona will make him rethink the mask mandate stuff?

Not even if it gave him a spine.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Quoting from USPOL.

In the same fashion: