Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I went through the app, so I have the basic idea of how the game works.

That said, how viable is Susanoomons ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Some Numbers posted:

I went through the app, so I have the basic idea of how the game works.

That said, how viable is Susanoomons ability?

Hefty as hell Digivolution cost, but he can run in any color of deck, hits for 3 security, packs a 15k DP, and serves as a Terra Force. And all you have to do is flush out your trash and/or shore that trash up with Hybrids in your hand.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Some Numbers posted:

I went through the app, so I have the basic idea.

How viable is Susanoomons ability?

I… I don’t know

My guess is it’s at most a 2-of in a Hybrid deck and not the focus. It’s hypothetically easier to get out than BT1 Omnimon, who has a similar spot removal (one that’s actually a bit better imo because it hits multiple Digimon with the same name), because it can evolve off of a Tamer and from any color. It’s a great beat stick but it has a pretty high cost and needs a lot of set up to evolve from a Tamer.

I could be wrong and it could be the main focus of a deck, but I think it will be mostly supplemental

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s absolutely easier to learn than Magic, so don’t worry about that. I’d say use the app and if you can, buy some starter decks to play with a friend (the green starter deck is the one that can be most easily modified into being a competitive-ish deck).

So aside from "all of them," what would you say would be an ideal set of starters?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

After getting our Digimon X toys and being hit with a nostalgia blast, my husband and I decided to watch Adventure 20. I was a huge fan of the series when I was a kid, but didn't seriously watch any Digimon once Tamers hit the states, until watching Appmon a couple years ago.

Adventure 20 is not Appmon. We got through episode 28, I think, and then decided we can't watch any more. This show is just the kids tearfully running from one desperate miracle to the next. Maybe that's true to form for Adventure but I'm too old for it. I will say Devimon was awesome and I wish we had any elaboration at all about him before he got trounced? Maybe that explanation will come later but I'm just sick of the show, I can't watch another 30 episodes of this garbage.

We love our Xs, although I feel like my Digimon evolving into Platinum Numemon is a serious indictment of my care.

Hoping the next series is good because I'm still in the throes of nostalgia.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It's really not true to Adventure. I'm rewatching Adventure with a group and it still holds up pretty well.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I wish this hadn't been my husband's first exposure to Adventure. I probably could have convinced him to watch the original series with me, but there's no way that will happen now. He is enjoying his Digimon X (got Wargrowlmon, the lucky bastard), but other than that I think he hates Digimon now.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Tell him he only got the crust, and he can't judge without the rest of the pizza.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tell him that it's much less flashy, but has a lot more substance.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Adventure 20 is not Appmon. We got through episode 28, I think, and then decided we can't watch any more. This show is just the kids tearfully running from one desperate miracle to the next. Maybe that's true to form for Adventure but I'm too old for it. I will say Devimon was awesome and I wish we had any elaboration at all about him before he got trounced? Maybe that explanation will come later but I'm just sick of the show, I can't watch another 30 episodes of this garbage.

were you enjoying the series before the kids split up or were you disliking it the whole way through? eps 18-31 are extremely dire, i completely agree on that front, i dont know what happened there. but once that arc ends the kids all start to meet up again and they start having a lot more lower stakes character focused episodes that are wayyy better on average aside from the 3 episode long milleniummon arc around 48-50. if you didnt care for the stuff at the beginning either though then that probably wont change your mind.

if nothing else i still recommend watching the mimi focused episodes 37, 43, and 55 because those are some of my absolute favorites

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

definitely try to go back and watch the older stuff too though, its definitely a lot better on average than adventure 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Some Numbers posted:

Tell him that it's much less flashy, but has a lot more substance.
That’s a good way to put it.

Adventure 20 has all the same problems as a modern remake of an old movie. If there’s an old movie he really likes that got a super lovely remake (RoboCop?), draw the comparison.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

sharrrk posted:

were you enjoying the series before the kids split up or were you disliking it the whole way through? eps 18-31 are extremely dire, i completely agree on that front, i dont know what happened there. but once that arc ends the kids all start to meet up again and they start having a lot more lower stakes character focused episodes that are wayyy better on average aside from the 3 episode long milleniummon arc around 48-50. if you didnt care for the stuff at the beginning either though then that probably wont change your mind.

if nothing else i still recommend watching the mimi focused episodes 37, 43, and 55 because those are some of my absolute favorites

I was fairly into it until the first Metalgraymon episode. At that point it started to feel tedious. The Mimi episode that comes shortly after that was amazing though. Mimi and Palmon are easily the highlight of the series. My husband and I are also big fans of Koshiro and Tentomon. Actually, Joe and his digimon are great too.

There's actually a bit to like, but for the most part I've found the formula of "monsters get bodied by bad guy until they finally/miraculously transform" to be extremely tiresome. Also, the plot makes no sense to me. I don't get how this whole feedback loop of "bad digimon makes bad things happen in the real world and this generates 'data' aka power which is also the means by which they do the bad thing " ... I just don't get it. The whole show just reeks of inevitability and I get that the story is about destiny and fate but I don't know it just needs better fights or something.

I know it's a children's battle cartoon but I don't remember Adventure or Adventure 02 being that dire, and as I've mentioned before I thought Appmon was great.

EDIT: I also loving hate tri so idk maybe I just don't like Digimon any more. :negative:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

EDIT: I also loving hate tri so idk maybe I just don't like Digimon any more. :negative:
It's not just you. Reunion was good but felt like they were still finding their feet. Determination is genuinely great, but almost entirely on the back of the A plot basically being one long Jou & Mimi focus episode, Confession is worse in retrospect knowing that none of what it's hampering itself to set up is going to pay off in a satisfying way, and then the last two are just unqualified disasters.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I know it's a children's battle cartoon but I don't remember Adventure or Adventure 02 being that dire, and as I've mentioned before I thought Appmon was great.

Adventure and even 02 were not this dire, those shows had things like character development and pacing and coherent settings and properly told story arcs.

As for Tri, welcome to a thread full of diehard Digimon fans who to varying levels hated its loving guts. Disliking Tri doesn't somehow preclude you from being a Digimon fan. I'm an absolute lifer for the franchise and I will poo poo on every one of those seven movies to varying degrees because I think the whole product was absolutely toxic rubbish.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You're contradicting yourself. You said Appmon was great (undeniably correct) and you hate Tri (undeniably correct) - both of which came out around the same time. It's not you, it's that you're seeing some of the worst the franchise has to offer.

Digimon is still super good, you just have to get out of the Adventure nostalgia trip that Toei wants us to submerge ourselves into. There's so many good shows to watch! I imagine you've watched Tamers, but if you haven't, that's widely praised and for good reason (just don't watch Tamers 2021 ever). Savers was the first attempt at getting the old audience back but was done significantly better and is a really good series too. Xros Wars is decent, definitely a better watch than Adventure: and Tri. If you're into manga, V-Tamer and Xros Wars are both excellent reads, and Next is decent. If you want videogames, the Cyber Sleuth duology is goddamn amazing and Next Order is a lot of fun and a big improvement over the original World.

Please don't think the franchise isn't for you anymore due to Toei's terrible handling of Adventure. There's a lot more to it, and a lot of it is genuinely very good.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Some Numbers posted:

So aside from "all of them," what would you say would be an ideal set of starters?

I’d say get the green and purple starter decks. There’s also two more starter decks coming out in a couple months alongside the next set that would be worth checking out but that’s only if you’re willing to wait.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
finally got around to making the next of my DIM Card style Sprite Charts, this time for Tentomon;

with the Evolution paths for it past Adult going as such;

Kabuterimon-> AtlurKabuterimon*, Bolgmon, Flybeemon

Kuwagamon-> OKuwamon, AtlurKabuterimon*, Valvemon

Yanmamon-> Flybeemon, OKuwamon, Nanomon

Mechanorimon-> Nanomon, Valvemon, Bolgmon

AtlurKabuterimon-> HerculesKabuterimon, Omedamon

OKuwamon-> GranKuwagamon, Ebemon

Flybeemon-> GranKuwagamon, HerculesKabuterimon

Bolgmon-> Omedamon, HerculesKabuterimon

Valvemon-> Omedamon, Ebemon

Nanomon-> Ebemon, GranKuwagamon

next will probably be either Palmon or Gomamon

*which color of AtlurKabuterimon shows up would be randomized(with maybe slightly different odds depending on which Adult evolves into it or Jogress combination), would be a purely cosmetic difference though(did this because I couldn't decide which color I wanted to use, and subsequently realizing this would be a fun little thing to do)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg/status/1427555805243482115?s=19

quote:

Bokomon

[On Play] Reveal 5 cards on top of your Deck.
Add 1 Card with [Hybrid] or [Ten Warriors] and 1 Tamer Card to Hand.
Place the remaining cards at the bottom of your deck in any order.

[Your Turn] (Once Per Turn) When your Tamer Digivolves, Memory +2.

Neamon

[On Play] Play a Tamer Card with Digivolution Effect
from your Hand without paying Play Cost.

[Both Players' Turn] (Once Per Turn) When your Digimon
with a Tamer card in its Digivolution Source gets deleted,
play a Tamer Card from your Trash without paying Play Cost.

I didn't expect these guys to get cards. I didn't expect them to be good. These are basically everything you would want in a hybrid deck

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I very much approve of Omedamon being there.

thetoughestbean posted:

I didn't expect these guys to get cards. I didn't expect them to be good. These are basically everything you would want in a hybrid deck
I'm starting to suspect that they're deliberately giving archetypes based around obscure or less-liked properties the best cards. Which isn't a complaint! Hell, it's certainly better than the inverse.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

drrockso20 posted:

finally got around to making the next of my DIM Card style Sprite Charts, this time for Tentomon;

I definitely feel like Omedamon should be in the bottom mega slot; that's the one that is the final boss of that DiM's story mode and can't be evolved into until you complete the story mode. Ebemon doesn't quite have the punch for that, IMO.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Golux posted:

I definitely feel like Omedamon should be in the bottom mega slot; that's the one that is the final boss of that DiM's story mode and can't be evolved into until you complete the story mode. Ebemon doesn't quite have the punch for that, IMO.

Wasn't aware of that aspect, not sure I'll bother with that consistently in future charts(much like how I mostly ignore Joggers for these even though it is a part of how they work) since aesthetics and to a degree logic are top priority when I make these*, but good to know

*for example I was originally going to use TyrantKabuterimon in the slot Ebemon currently occupies as I did find a couple fan made sprites for him(and felt that he would work well with the perfects I had chosen) but on closer inspection both sprites had too big of flaws for me to want to use them so I bounced around other ideas(Parasimon I disliked cause while he was great for Nanomon he didn't really jive well with anyone else, while Tigervespamon felt redundant with Omedamon on there, to give a couple examples) until I decided that Ebemon would work well enough

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tai’s VA (Adventure 2020) has been diagnosed with covid:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-08-18/boruto-eureka-7-voice-actress-yuko-sanpei-diagnosed-with-covid-19/.176392

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
gently caress, didn't realise they were Tai too.

Man Eureka Seven is cursed

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

October V-Jump is out and we got some stuff to talk about here.

First of all, we finally know one of the two new Digimon in the Digivice: that were a mystery until now: Negamon. More info in the thread about it and what will happen in Adventure: around it.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1428237130686517256?s=19

We also got the next two Dim Cards: Judgement of Heaven and Karma of God. The former will focus on holy Digimon, the latter on Japanese-style Digimon.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1428241198234406916

And we got some information about our Ghost Game trio. Not much, but it does confirm all three are Child-level Digimon since Angoramon wasn't quite obvious.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1428221705521147905

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Negamon is the most uninspired looking last boss we’ve ever had

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
The final boss is . . . Literally just Whamon? What? There's no way this can be right.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe it’s more like a giant amorphous flying mouth orb and it looks like Whamon because it’s flying around?

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

It's kinda like a crappier Rareraremon

Ooooh I want the KARMA OF GOD DiM real bad, I love Eastern mythology Digimon

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The full set list for bt7 drops tomorrow, for now have some interesting black cards

quote:

SkullKnightmon
[When Attacking] You may trash all of the digivolution cards of 1 of your [DeadlyAxemon] and place it at the bottom of this Digimon's digivolution cards to digivolve this Digimon into a [DarkKnightmon] in your hand without paying its memory cost.

Inherit: [Your Turn] While this Digimon has [Knightmon] or [Bagramon] in its name, it gains <Security Attack+1>.

DeadlyAxemon
[On Play] Reveal 5 cards from the top of your deck. Add up to 2 Digimon cards with [Knightmon] in their names among them to your hand. Place the remaining cards at the bottom of your deck in any order.

Inherit: [Your Turn] While this Digimon has [Knightmon] or [Bagramon] in its name, it gets +2000 DP.

quote:

DarkKnightmon
[On Play] You may place 1 [SkullKnightmon] and/or 1 [DeadlyAxemon] from your hand and/or trash at the bottom of this Digimon's digivolution cards in any order.

[All Turns] When this Digimon is deleted, you may play 1 [SkullKnightmon] and/or 1 [DeadlyAxemon] suspended that were in this Digimon's digivolution cards from your trash without paying their memory costs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So the final boss of Adventure 2020 is literally just Kisame’s sword from Naruto?

https://naruto.fandom.com/wiki/Samehada

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

The full set list for bt7 drops tomorrow, for now have some interesting black cards
Well that’s a dead fish strategy if I ever saw one. All that work of getting two specific Adults on the field, and all you get is an above average Perfect with a floating effect?

Maybe if it let you jump straight to a Mega, that might be worth it.

Edit: Lol, the “without paying its cost” part is actually still more expensive than just evolving it directly. SkullKnightmon literally worse than useless.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 19, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

girl dick energy posted:

Well that’s a dead fish strategy if I ever saw one. All that work of getting two specific Adults on the field, and all you get is an above average Perfect with a floating effect?

Maybe if it let you jump straight to a Mega, that might be worth it.

Edit: Lol, the “without paying its cost” part is actually still more expensive than just evolving it directly.

I think it’s pretty interesting. Most level 5s that people play have around 6-7k power. Because of the inheritance, DarkKnightmon is attacking for 9k with two security attacks. That’s pretty good early aggro that won’t die to most of the other player’s security, and if it does, it can float into the DeadlyAxemon for the search effect, or to the SkullKnightmon to set up another attack. Being sticky is really good in this game because of how security means having a consistent board presence is important.

The two champions is less of a problem when one searches the other, plus you can cheat them from the deck with Pride Memory Boost (revealed from the beginning of the set)

quote:

Pride Memory Boost (4 memory cost)
[Main] Reveal the top three cards of your deck. You may play one black Digimon with a play cost of four or less among them without paying the memory cost. Trash the remaining cards. Then, place this card in your battle area
[Main]<Delay> (Trash this card from your battle area to activate this effect to activate the effect below. You can’t activate this effect the turn this card enters play.): Gain two memory

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

About Negamon, it should be noted that there were two unknown Digimon in the Digivice:. Negamon is clearly the "Great Catastrophe" according to V-Jump, but the other Digimon was a big ball of darkness with an eye, like the one we've seen several times in the show so far. They're likely one and the same, but in different forms. I don't think Negamon's our final battle, is what I'm trying to say.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
I love Mitamamon and want that DiM set, but apparently it's in limbo now like the Tamers EX Set.

https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1428249101418831874

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Man, fumbling the ball until the very end. One thing about Adventure: that's been real disappointing is the villains and their total lack of personality. Digimonsters of the week get to have one (sometimes) but the main villains have empty voids of generic evil. And yeah most of the original villains were also generically evil, but at least they had a personality about it. I'll be surprised if Negamon even has something to say.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheHan posted:

Man, fumbling the ball until the very end. One thing about Adventure: that's been real disappointing is the villains and their total lack of personality. Digimonsters of the week get to have one (sometimes) but the main villains have empty voids of generic evil. And yeah most of the original villains were also generically evil, but at least they had a personality about it. I'll be surprised if Negamon even has something to say.

That's one of the biggest issues in a series full of them, yeah. Devimon at least got a backstory, if too late, but we got a million monsters of the week that could only roar, and then the apparent big bad in Millenniumon...could only roar and lasted a whole one episode. It's hard to believe Negamon will be any better. The only recurring villain that's memorable in this show is Ogremon.

That said we did get some good monster of the week antagonists at least. Several of which stuck around as friends later, or reappeared at some point, so that's at least nice.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Some folks on Wikimon insist the Negamon is actually Negermon, based off of this: https://twitter.com/dragondramon/status/1428259492198854656?s=21

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I really hope we don't name the Digimon after a Nazi submarine that can easily be turned into a slur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Japan

Please

Don't