Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spek posted:

Matt has his "best smile" when trying to ingratiate himself to people, which never works because it's implied his best smile looks incredibly insincere.

Mat, like the assorted Trickster deities and legends that he's based on, is incredibly charming and comes across as incredibly untrustworthy, simultaneously.

Think of this quote from Pratchett, and then imagine Mat as the 'Dealer'. It works.

The Late, Great Terry Pratchett posted:

"God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
That's certainly possible. My read is that he's incredibly charming when he's not really trying to be, but incredibly suspicious when he is trying to be.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That sounds completely accurate and very much in keeping with how Jordan liked to write many of his characters: unaware of how they are perceived. Perrin's another good example, with the not realizing how intimidating he is just by being himself.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

e: http://imgur.com/a/wP01ppi

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 18, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

See, poo poo like this is bugging me. Why is this how we're getting promotional material for a show that comes out in 3 months?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Haha god that looks like poo poo. It has no style at all. Big budget larping.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
https://imgur.com/a/wP01ppi

Better images of the EW article that were posted on twitter here: https://twitter.com/weeklywheelnews/status/1427911676129468416?s=19

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Release a trailer Bezos you coward.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm not sure I buy Mat and Perrin being 18-year-old kids there

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sure it’ll entice the one person who browses a magazine rack.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I'm not sure I buy Mat and Perrin being 18-year-old kids there

They both had very late name days. :v:

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Invalid Validation posted:

Haha god that looks like poo poo. It has no style at all. Big budget larping.

Oh I dunno, looks pretty reasonable to me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Joey Steel posted:

It looks realistic but also sortof lame. Good two rivers woolens aren't necessarily good television. Guess we'll see.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

It looks okay. It looks better than the CW/MTV-level fantasy poo poo, which always felt like they raided the faux-vintage section of Forever 21 for their fantasy outfits, but not a LOT better.You can tell all the characters apart just by looking, although with Egwene and Nynave it's only because of the braid.

I feel like Lan should be wearing some armor or something to visually set him apart; in the books it's kind of ambiguous whether he wears armor or not.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 18, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I feel like Lan should be wearing some armor or something to visually set him apart; in the books it's kind of ambiguous whether he wears armor or not.

He goes by film-Aragorn rules.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It looks realistic but also sortof lame. Good two rivers woolens aren't necessarily good television. Guess we'll see.

A little of column A, a little of column "these are their travelling clothes".

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Since when is Perrin taller than Rand?

latinotwink1997 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 18, 2021

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Strong princess bride aesthetic thus far.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Joey Steel posted:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Looks like some stout two rivers wool clothing.

I’m okay with Perrin being gigantic, though Moiraine is taller than I thought based on the text describing her as a tiny little lady.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

He goes by film-Aragorn rules.

A little of column A, a little of column "these are their travelling clothes".

IIRC Lan doesn't wear armor in TEOTW until they go to the blight, and then it's just a scale tunic and steel-backed gauntlets.

Likewise, the kids should be in their farmer/peasant clothes until Shienar. I don't expect to see them do all of the detailed outfits described in the books for all the different cultures (the girls alone would need like 15 dresses every season), but I'm hopeful we'll get some of it. I'm sure they'll be taking advantage of the progressively lower necklines and tighter pants though. There's breasts with arms-crossed-under-them and well-turned calves at stake.

EDIT:

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m okay with Perrin being gigantic, though Moiraine is taller than I thought based on the text describing her as a tiny little lady.

Yeah I mean, it's just casting limitations. If you want a big name with some awards for your female lead and get Rosamund Pike, you're not mad that she's 6" taller than the book character. MyAnna Buring really nailed the Moiraine look as Tissaia in The Witcher, so it's too bad they didn't notice her first, but that's just hindsight talking and she's not a big name. And for Rand, there's not many 6'6" gingers out there to choose from, so you get a 6'2" guy that otherwise nails the look. Perrin's actor looks great so if that requires making him the same height as Rand, that's OK with me.

The guy they cast as Loial is only 6'3" and I think we're getting heavily costumed actors as Trollocs (LOTR film orc style) so I'm curious if we'll be getting Hulk style CG embiggened versions of them next to regular humans or if they'll just leave it alone. I'm guessing the latter, but I bet we'll get a giant CGI Green Man eventually.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 18, 2021

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Democratic Pirate posted:

After a certain point, you've gotta let some of the book details go to get the best actors for the job, ya know? It's like the thing with Thom playing guitar on the show instead of a harp. Why? Because the actor who plays Thom can actually play guitar but can't play a harp, so it makes more sense to have him actually play the instrument for his scenes than fake it with the harp. And you know what? I'm fine with that. We all need to take a deep breath and accept that this is another turning of the Wheel than the one we read about, so there are going to be a lot of differences.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The important thing is that Mat's clothes are properly rumpled, and Perrin certainly comes across as a mack truck of a man. Lan looks great. I love how colorful everything is, I really hope they avoid the trap of vague grey fantasy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

height is one of the few things that is kind of impossible to change about a person and it's a pain in the rear end to make pointless height adjustments for every scene, especially if it's for human characters and not literal halflings or whatever the hell that are notably multiple feet shorter

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

jng2058 posted:

After a certain point, you've gotta let some of the book details go to get the best actors for the job, ya know? It's like the thing with Thom playing guitar on the show instead of a harp. Why? Because the actor who plays Thom can actually play guitar but can't play a harp, so it makes more sense to have him actually play the instrument for his scenes than fake it with the harp. And you know what? I'm fine with that. We all need to take a deep breath and accept that this is another turning of the Wheel than the one we read about, so there are going to be a lot of differences.

For sure, it’s not a big deal. I just liked the image of one of the most influential figures in the world frustratedly trying to jostle her way through a crowd because she’s too short to see what Rand is doing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i assume they went "we love rosamund pike, who cares if she's 5'9 lol"

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
So one of the pics has Alanna and Kerene with a captured Logain. Kerene is a New Spring character, Captain General of the Green Ajah, and one of Tamra's searchers who gets killed by Black Ajah. I wonder if there's any significance to bringing her forward other than she's a named Ajah head who gets killed off in the books. Maybe they'll dramatically kill her in the course of bringing Logain to Caemlyn? Wil they make Siuan and Logain's lie about being used by the Red Ajah founded in a Black Ajah plot? Maybe they'll mix in some of the other New Spring plots with TEOTW to bulk up Moiraine's role?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CainsDescendant posted:

The important thing is that Mat's clothes are properly rumpled, and Perrin certainly comes across as a mack truck of a man. Lan looks great. I love how colorful everything is, I really hope they avoid the trap of vague grey fantasy.

yeah i hope they have a big ol costume budget, there's so much attention to detail in the texts about it and so much about the different nations is defined by their clothing

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Put Rand in 10 inch platform shoes (bezos, you coward).

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Perrin being the same height as Rand still makes sense in terms of the descriptions to me. Rand is described as looking exactly like an Aiel multiple times, and that is more than height. He does noticeably stand out in that group as not being the same, which is what I was hoping for.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

So one of the pics has Alanna and Kerene with a captured Logain. Kerene is a New Spring character, Captain General of the Green Ajah, and one of Tamra's searchers who gets killed by Black Ajah. I wonder if there's any significance to bringing her forward other than she's a named Ajah head who gets killed off in the books. Maybe they'll dramatically kill her in the course of bringing Logain to Caemlyn? Wil they make Siuan and Logain's lie about being used by the Red Ajah founded in a Black Ajah plot? Maybe they'll mix in some of the other New Spring plots with TEOTW to bulk up Moiraine's role?

Speculation: I'm thinking that Liandrin, who I think is also on that trip, will kill Kerene and get away with it so that we the audience know she's evil before any of the other characters do. That's just a guess, of course.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Lan seems to have that "face of stone" thing down.

Edit: Hopefully it's just for the promo shots, but their costumes look too much like costumes to me. Compared to LOTR and GoT who made the clothing/accessories look far more "real".

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 18, 2021

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

How are u posted:

Put Rand in 10 inch platform shoes (bezos, you coward).

The Dragon formerly known as Rand

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

th3t00t posted:

Lan seems to have that "face of stone" thing down.

Face of stone, tunic of burlap

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There's apparently a whole multi page thing in entertainment weekly, i can't blow it up on my current screen tho

https://twitter.com/weeklywheelnews/status/1427911676129468416?s=20

Shadar Logoth looks appropriately Logothy even if it is a bit reminiscent of SL in the Wheel of Time video game

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 18, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Does the Weekly Wheel News have a Batboy?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

An imgur gallery was posted upthread already^ :)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

How are u posted:

Does the Weekly Wheel News have a Batboy?

https://twitter.com/weeklywheelnews/status/1427918682567499776?s=20

THere's an near-absurd level of wheel of time fan stuff online these days. This dude has been making random bat-boy themed parodies of wheel of time stuff for, like, years.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Shadar Logoth looks pretty cool.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://twitter.com/weeklywheelnews/status/1427918682567499776?s=20

THere's an near-absurd level of wheel of time fan stuff online these days. This dude has been making random bat-boy themed parodies of wheel of time stuff for, like, years.

Ok I was being flip, but this is delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Oh god, twitter seems to think the book series has no swearing and no sex.

I don't think I can squint that hard.