Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

CodfishCartographer posted:

lmao so Holly is hosed? After all this they couldn't save her? I guess the lines about Josuke being his own person was a way to kind of cut ties like that, but one of the major reasons they were fighting all this time was to save Holly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tooru REALLY was 89 years old all this time?!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i guess my highlight was nu-hermit purple... thinking i'll re-read it now from the beginning to see how it hangs together in one go.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'll be honest, 3-4 months ago Jojolion seemed like it was going to be a disaster, but these final two chapters managed to land the arc onto its feet. Pleasantly impressed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The latter quarter of JoJolion kinda poo poo the bed, but this chapter in a vacuum was wholesome and while I don't think this is the best ending for JJL as a complete entity and some things in the part are unresolved, this is a good final chapter to a part that felt like it had no climax so the ending not being the best of the best is more on Tooru, rather than 109/110.

It's certainly not in the pantheon of great JoJo parts like SBR and DIU but it's probably in the next tier.

Damo wins the best villain and best villain stand award.
Sexy bastard

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

It was pretty clear that Araki had no idea what he wanted to do too far ahead and changed his mind on a bunch of plotpoints. I don't think Araki's style of writing really worked for the entire Part being a cascade of mysteries. Still an enjoyable part, but it's at the bottom rungs in my opinion.

Also, I love how Tooru has apparently kept the same fashion sense for about seventy years, teddy bears and all.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Cannot understand how people are excited for a prospect of a Part 9. An almost 70 year old man whose art and writing have only gotten worse over the course of a decade should just retire.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I for one am excited for Araki’s future senile ramblings about how geese migrate or how fleas survive the winter

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I am baffled how you can say his art has suffered.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Ryaomon posted:

Cannot understand how people are excited for a prospect of a Part 9. An almost 70 year old man whose art and writing have only gotten worse over the course of a decade should just retire.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I mean a mediocre Part doesn't mean the end of the world. Stone Ocean was kind of meh, but then got followed by Steel Ball Run. Part 9 could easily be another instance of that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Araki seems like the kind of guy who lives to be 110. I'm looking forward to reading part 12 together with my adult child

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Given that we have Jonathan, Josuke, and now Joseph counterparts in this universe, I wonder whether we'll get a Giorno or Jolyne for Part 9.

"Some land in the islands to the south"... JOJOLAND in Australia?!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Also araki is fuckin 61, how the hell is that "almost 70" lmao

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CodfishCartographer posted:

Also araki is fuckin 61, how the hell is that "almost 70" lmao

Technically it's closer to 70 than 0

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Ryaomon posted:

How in the world "61" is "almost 70"?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Technically it's closer to 70 than 0

Ah, yes, my bad. Anyone who is more than 35 years old is "almost 70", how could I forget.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 18, 2021

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
hosed up that people are excited for more JoJo, here in the JoJo thread

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wonder whether we'll get a Giorno or Jolyne for Part 9.
Still got my fingers crossed for twins. Two main protagonists could be pretty interesting for JoJo.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Man, what an ending.

What a decade.

Wild speculation time: Gappy mentioned that the Locacaca might still exist in some land in the islands to the south. So there are lands with Jojo-related things in them. You could call them JoJolands, perhaps.

Continuity whining time: So where the heck did Josefumi get his star-shaped birthmark then?!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Kinda hoping for nuGiorno and nuJolyne vs. nuKars

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MachuPikacchu posted:

Continuity whining time: So where the heck did Josefumi get his star-shaped birthmark then?!

His dad found a star on the ground so he gave his son a tattoo of it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kinda hoping for nuGiorno and nuJolyne vs. nuKars

The color cover for 110, Yasuho side, has the Stone Mask displayed pretty prominently between King Nothing and Wonder Of U despite not appearing (afaik?) in JJL.

I could see JOJOLAND being an exploration of how the Rock Humans came around and probably tying it in with the Stone Masks.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

rock humans, ancient enemies of Jesus Christ's followers

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

"Like in some land in the islands to the south...Like a...JOJOLANDS, perhaps..."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So the implication we're taking here is that Josefumi is probably one of Joseph's bastard kids right.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MachuPikacchu posted:

Man, what an ending.

What a decade.

Wild speculation time: Gappy mentioned that the Locacaca might still exist in some land in the islands to the south. So there are lands with Jojo-related things in them. You could call them JoJolands, perhaps.

It is worth noting that Locacaca come from New Guinea, islands in the south. Part 9 could be related to this of course, but it read to me more like Josuke saying "well there are probably still some in their native lands, but not here anymore"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Jojolands will rule if it’s just a bunch of semi connected stories surrounding fruit weirdness in South America

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

The color cover for 110, Yasuho side, has the Stone Mask displayed pretty prominently between King Nothing and Wonder Of U despite not appearing (afaik?) in JJL.

I could see JOJOLAND being an exploration of how the Rock Humans came around and probably tying it in with the Stone Masks.

It appeared for a panel or two during one of the chapters that talked about rock human history, along with the arrows. It kind of implied they were somehow all related, but nothing was outright stated or explained.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Funky Valentine posted:

So the implication we're taking here is that Josefumi is probably one of Joseph's bastard kids right.

i figured that part was pretty obvious

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MachuPikacchu posted:

When Joseph says that his name is written as Josefu in Japanese the translation note says that it's spelled with the same kanji as Josefumi, it's all but confirmed that he's Joseph's son

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 18, 2021

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Gappy talking about his earliest memories was the perfect lead-in to have him and Yasuho kiss, tremendous missed opportunity

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Baron La Croix posted:

Gappy talking about his earliest memories was the perfect lead-in to have him and Yasuho kiss, tremendous missed opportunity

Yeah I kind of expected him to say that his earliest memories were of her, but oh well.

I like the idea that Joseph "Fumi" Joestar is a horndog regardless of what reality he's in.

More wild speculation time: The main character's stand in JOJOLANDS will be named after something to do with air. So far we've gone Platinum-Diamond-Gold-Stone-Bone-Wet. The only musical reference I can think of right now is Air Supply, though.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Incredible, what a great way to mark the midpoint climax of Jojolion!

Personally, unless Jojoland is literally a direct continuation and the Jojo is the bling baby and this ends up being true, this is my least favorite Jojo ending by a mile and I find it pretty disappointing.

Nice that it seems to have landed for others.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sounds like VA might finally have a contender for 'worst JoJo part'

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ryaomon posted:

Writing quality aside, there's no loving way you believe his art, which is as good as it's ever been, has gotten worse. JJL has some of the best panels he's ever drawn.

Anyway, now it's finished, Pt8 is the third best part, behind 7 and 4 respectively.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I certainly don't believe his art has gotten worse, but I feel like his characters have started looking more similar to each other than they used to. They also seem to have that, I dunno, "model stare" for lack of a better term, a lot. It doesn't bother me but it's something that I def noticed and I kind of miss the art styles around parts 3 and 4.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

Ah, yes, my bad. Anyone who is more than 35 years old is "almost 70", how could I forget.

Listen. To say that you are "almost" 70...this means that you are "approaching" 70, right? That 70 is "before" you. And if you are more than 35, then 35 is "behind" you. Having surpassed 35, it has been "abandoned." Understand? You can only "approach" what is "before" you! To strive for an "abandoned" thing is folly! And in the smallest increment of time after you have turned 70, that very first "moment"...70, too, will have been "abandoned!" What will lie "before" you then? What will "almost" approach you then? And when will your approach falter? To constantly approach this receding "almost," amidst the wreckage of "abandoned" things...that is what it means to live!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MachuPikacchu posted:

Yeah I kind of expected him to say that his earliest memories were of her, but oh well.

I like the idea that Joseph "Fumi" Joestar is a horndog regardless of what reality he's in.

More wild speculation time: The main character's stand in JOJOLANDS will be named after something to do with air. So far we've gone Platinum-Diamond-Gold-Stone-Bone-Wet. The only musical reference I can think of right now is Air Supply, though.

Lol that with a name like JOJOLANDS you don't assume it's going to have something to do with land / earth / dirt / soil / etc.

No clue on stand names though. Landslide?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oxxidation posted:

Listen. To say that you are "almost" 70...this means that you are "approaching" 70, right? That 70 is "before" you. And if you are more than 35, then 35 is "behind" you. Having surpassed 35, it has been "abandoned." Understand? You can only "approach" what is "before" you! To strive for an "abandoned" thing is folly! And in the smallest increment of time after you have turned 70, that very first "moment"...70, too, will have been "abandoned!" What will lie "before" you then? What will "almost" approach you then? And when will your approach falter? To constantly approach this receding "almost," amidst the wreckage of "abandoned" things...that is what it means to live!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

hell yeah