Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

I think jojolion suffered the most from Araki trying to write a longform mystery story. None of the other parts really did that kind of thing before. The mysteries were generally presented either to the audience in short bursts of "what is happening" >> "ok I know what is happening" but this whole part was a bunch of different pieces of mysteries that all got dropped at one point or another and it's just disappointing. I don't know how far ahead araki plans things out but I feel like part 8 really could have used a far more concrete and comprehensive outline than it probably had. It's hard to enjoy a longform mystery when it's as inconsistent as part 8.

There were parts of part 8 that I liked and some fights are definitely in the top of jojo fight lists but on a whole it's probably my 2nd least favorite part.

I do agree for the most part, but it is worth noting that the second half more or less dropped the mystery stuff in favor of a more traditional story - we need to get the branch so we can get the fruit, stop the bad guys from getting the branch / fruit. Really the only mystery in the second half is "who is the leader of the bad guys?" but that isn't really treated as more of a mystery than Diavolo's identity was. And yet the second half still had its share of dropped / confusing plot threads.

I'm being kind of hard on it but overall I really enjoyed part 8 and would rate it fairly highly. I don't really enjoy ranking the parts because each have cool things they do that are unique to them, and jojolion had a ton of really great and memorable fights. There really wasn't a stinker in the whole bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I honestly think the resolution to the mystery was fine. Jousuke's true identity had a cool answer that tied into the villains and the wider story. But once that had been revealed the series lost its main motivating throughline and that didn't really get replaced.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

Listen. To say that you are "almost" 70...this means that you are "approaching" 70, right? That 70 is "before" you. And if you are more than 35, then 35 is "behind" you. Having surpassed 35, it has been "abandoned." Understand? You can only "approach" what is "before" you! To strive for an "abandoned" thing is folly! And in the smallest increment of time after you have turned 70, that very first "moment"...70, too, will have been "abandoned!" What will lie "before" you then? What will "almost" approach you then? And when will your approach falter? To constantly approach this receding "almost," amidst the wreckage of "abandoned" things...that is what it means to live!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I honestly think the resolution to the mystery was fine. Jousuke's true identity had a cool answer that tied into the villains and the wider story. But once that had been revealed the series lost its main motivating throughline and that didn't really get replaced.
I mean that's sort of the problem is a lot of the parts of the original mystery weren't given a resolution. And then further mysteries that were brought up down the line that got ignored or apparently retconned instead.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Part 8 was p. okay overall. Probably better than part 5 overall.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

I mean that's sort of the problem is a lot of the parts of the original mystery weren't given a resolution. And then further mysteries that were brought up down the line that got ignored or apparently retconned instead.
What kind of parts? It didn't seem like there were many relevant questions left after the Vitamin C fight.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

I do agree for the most part, but it is worth noting that the second half more or less dropped the mystery stuff in favor of a more traditional story

That's part of the problem.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Now that Part 8's over what's everyone's favorite bad Araki forgot/Araki retconned something fan idea for Part 8? Mine is the idea that Araki either forgot that Josefumi had a Joestar birthmark or decided later to retcon it out of existence for unknown reasons. There's a picture of him with the birthmark visible and he had a Stand with stars on it that uses an ability that also involves stars? Nah, Araki hosed that one up, it must have been a mistake

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 19, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The future scene with a dead Norisuke in a bodybag that never happened. That was pretty close to the end too, what was even up with that. Just an ominous countdown to Harvest that never went anywhere

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

overmind2000 posted:

Now that Part 8's over what's everyone's favorite bad Araki forgot/Araki retconned something fan idea for Part 8?

Norisuke's slave dungeon where Kira lived.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

hatty posted:

The future scene with a dead Norisuke in a bodybag that never happened. That was pretty close to the end too, what was even up with that. Just an ominous countdown to Harvest that never went anywhere

I saw some speculation that the flashforward is actually split into two: the scene of Tsurugi and his family behaving normally and the scene of him retrieving Norisuke from upstairs. The normal family scene might actually be Tsurugi having a flashback to normal times as he walks up to retrieve Norisuke's body and drag it to the garage in 108. I don't really like that theory - Tsurugi's emotions don't match up and it makes the normal family scene absurdly misleading - but it's... something?

There's no explanation for the timer other than it just being a lie, though.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I like this ending.

The part where no one is able to choose a cake and they end up getting one of everything got me.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The greatest tragedy, Joshuu can't pick out a cake because of his tiny arm.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Norisuke lived. Somehow. And I consider that the only redeeming part about Jojolions final 20 chapters.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Funky Valentine posted:

The greatest tragedy, Joshuu can't pick out a cake because of his tiny arm.

i'm glad that joshu is left with the lovely baby arm

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I dare say Joshu would have maybe been the best character in the part if his main form of antagonism wasn't sexual harrassment & assault.

He's really effective as a full on bellend when he's being a petulant turd and not harrassing Yashuo

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Shakedown Road was honestly really great as a dynamic with Josuke and Joshu. It's a shame they had so few interactions after that.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Jojolion wasn't very good, probably the worst jojo part? But it's not the only part that I haven't liked so whatever. I'm down to read a Part 9 if Araki is still up for more.
same. part 5 at least had a couple characters i liked. 8 had norisuke (yasuho was fine but just kinda there personality wise most of the time)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Did the flash forward show joshuu with baby arm at all

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

my favorite is flashback man

flashback man is so loving insane. he's like one of the most dramatic looking men i've ever seen

and then NOTHIN

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The flashforward just seems like an early draft of the finale where Norisuke discovers the branch and gets taken out by Joubin a bit earlier.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was it just translation fuckery or did speed king not actually have an ability beyond targeted heat? I remember a mention that it was able to more than just super specific applications of heat but idk if that was just translation fuckery, change of plans, vague stand descriptions, my own faulty memories, or some combination of the above.

Honestly, I've had time to think about the ending and all of the things leading up to it and all of the problems I have with it and I'm not even mad or sad, I'm just exhausted and tired. I just want to go home.

in summary

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I dare say Joshu would have maybe been the best character in the part if his main form of antagonism wasn't sexual harrassment & assault.

He's really effective as a full on bellend when he's being a petulant turd and not harrassing Yashuo
I think this might be true even if he is a hosed up incel.

One of the highlights of Part 8 is that part that led everyone to believe in his redemption arc, followed by Joshu getting loving worse.

It's kinda sad because half the Higashikata family would've been better final villains than Tooru. With Norisuke it was clearly planned, which annoys me more than flash-forward. I suppose just because it happened earlier and showed that Araki didn't really give a poo poo about being consistent.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

FirstAidKite posted:

Was it just translation fuckery or did speed king not actually have an ability beyond targeted heat? I remember a mention that it was able to more than just super specific applications of heat but idk if that was just translation fuckery, change of plans, vague stand descriptions, my own faulty memories, or some combination of the above.

The heat can spread out to anyone that touches the heated point. So it's like if you accidentally touch a hot pan handle and then suddenly your whole body is 300 degrees.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Typing that out made me realize how its even more annoying that he got merked by Tooru because theoretically his power is a great counter - you don't need to pursue him at all, just lay some heat point mines down for the old man to step on. But then Akefu would probably say "oh? Are you putting mines down? Are not mines a form of weaponry intended for controlling territory, and thus encroaching closer to the space I control which could be described as pursuing me?"

Tooru your power is so loving stupid. I loving hate you so much stop using it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pigbuster posted:

Typing that out made me realize how its even more annoying that he got merked by Tooru because theoretically his power is a great counter - you don't need to pursue him at all, just lay some heat point mines down for the old man to step on. But then Akefu would probably say "oh? Are you putting mines down? Are not mines a form of weaponry intended for controlling territory, and thus encroaching closer to the space I control which could be described as pursuing me?"

Tooru your power is so loving stupid. I loving hate you so much stop using it.

Honestly it was amusing he could convince you that you were pursuing him and retroactively kill you.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's still funny Cato was able to just do it, no schemes or anything just walked up and threw Tsurugi at him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

throwing a dumb baby at someone is a good solution to most fights

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I'm pretty disappointed with Part 8 overall. Feels like Araki didn't have a clear idea where he wants to take the story throughout the whole thing. If there is a Part 9 I hope he takes a couple months off to just plan it out ahead of time. Dunno how feasible that is in his industry.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Dragonwagon posted:

I'm pretty disappointed with Part 8 overall. Feels like Araki didn't have a clear idea where he wants to take the story throughout the whole thing. If there is a Part 9 I hope he takes a couple months off to just plan it out ahead of time. Dunno how feasible that is in his industry.

Part 9's already been announced and Araki's said there'll be "a short break" before it starts getting printed.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Didn't Araki mention having an outline of Part 9 when Stall Ball Run was still in its run? If JoJolion still ended up like how it did with that in mind, it makes me wonder about how the next Part will be. I'm still cautiously optimistic, though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He could be like Toryiama and just change his mind completely mid arc.

Though it worked out for Toryiama

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Its still kinda unclear to me, is this new world part 8 takes place in an effect from the end of part6 or is it more like D4C parallel universe?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

dr.acula posted:

Its still kinda unclear to me, is this new world part 8 takes place in an effect from the end of part6 or is it more like D4C parallel universe?

SBRverse is almost certainly not the new universe created at the end of Stone Ocean, it's just a new continuity

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Isn’t Tooru showing up in the flashback a pothole? I don’t remember if there was a date for his birth but at the very least he wasn’t connected with the hospital or the rokakaka until 17 years prior to the main story.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

He could be like Toryiama and just change his mind completely mid arc.

Though it worked out for Toryiama
True, but no one read Dragon Ball because it had a good story, just for the comedy and fight scenes. Toriyama also had some pretty pushy editors, with the Cell Saga having to be changed around three times because Toriyama's editors didn't like the direction he was going in. Android 19 and Dr. Gero were sincerely going to be the main antagonists, but the editor was like "That's dumb, change it." so he introduced 16, 17, and 18. He got told again it was dumb and to change it, so Cell got shoehorned in.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

TheLoneStar posted:

True, but no one read Dragon Ball because it had a good story, just for the comedy and fight scenes. Toriyama also had some pretty pushy editors, with the Cell Saga having to be changed around three times because Toriyama's editors didn't like the direction he was going in. Android 19 and Dr. Gero were sincerely going to be the main antagonists, but the editor was like "That's dumb, change it." so he introduced 16, 17, and 18. He got told again it was dumb and to change it, so Cell got shoehorned in.

I even remember reading the reason Cell evolves is cus the editor also didn't like his initial look lmao

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cell was also roundabout the time the stories changed from 'simple but effective' to 'incoherent haphazard messes', not really a point in favour of jarring plot twists mid-arc imo

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

TheLoneStar posted:

iirc it wasn't even his current editor it was a former editor who kept being like "it's an old man and a clown? Dumb!... It's two brats? Dumb! Ew it's a bug guy? Dumb!" etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xad posted:

iirc it wasn't even his current editor it was a former editor who kept being like "it's an old man and a clown? Dumb!... It's two brats? Dumb! Ew it's a bug guy? Dumb!" etc.

yeah this is what i heard, toriyama valued the guy's opinion a lot and kept consulting with him even when they weren't working together professionally anymore