Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
All these songs are good but nobody said Beautiful World and I am hear to say Beautiful World is really loving good even if it's not as good as Komm Susser Tod. One Last Kiss is a really good song though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
All of Utada Hikaru's songs for the Rebuild series are god tier

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Archer666 posted:

Based on the post-credits previews at the end of the movies being wildly different than we ended up getting, and smaller things like how the poster design for the first 2 movies fit sequentially together only for 3 and 4 to do their own thing along with the big time gaps always made me think that Anno had no idea what he wanted to do with the movies and just made stuff as he went along.

There's enough stuff in this one that fits into little details in the early ones in retrospect that I think it's clear he knew exactly how things would go in terms of, like, the mechanics of the plot and what would occur in the process and how exactly the impacts would work and the big events. He just didn't have the actual narrative or story-we-follow remotely figured out.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 18, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Cephas posted:

The correct correct answer is Everything You Ever Dreamed

RE Ships: But the movie doesn't definitively say that they are a romantic couple.

This film was being super heavy handed obvious explaining things to our face, I disagree that the film doesn't definitively say this given the entire run through instrumentality (and both their stated desires to be with each other through it) and their closeness at the end. They almost kiss and then they hold hands to run off into the sunset, in what piece of cinema is that not an explicit direction that they're a romantic couple?

Well Manicured Man posted:

Yes. I love them all and I was sad this film didn't have the rainbow prism credits :/

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Well Manicured Man posted:

:agreed:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

MikeJF posted:

There's enough stuff in this one that fits into little details in the early ones in retrospect that I think it's clear he knew exactly how things would go in terms of, like, the mechanics of the plot and what would occur in the process and how exactly the impacts would work and the big events. He just didn't have the actual narrative or story-we-follow remotely figured out.

That reminds me an interview I read with a writer a few years back, don't remember who, but tehy said that a handy writing technique is to set up some details/plot threads that you haven't fully thought out at the time in order to make sequel writing easier and make it appear like you had some grand plan.

I mean if you're charitable you can say that Anno had some idea of where he eventually wanted to go. But it just reminds me of that thing I read which makes me skeptical.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
To me, they're good at what they do. Whether they had a "grand plan" or not isn't really important.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/tomatatoro/status/1427879676672811014?s=21

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

MikeJF posted:

In the original concept for the Wunder it would've been mostly living stuff, skeleton and flesh and viscera with just hull wrapped around the outside and things strapped to it, and the 'interior' areas of the ship would be relatively small little gaps between organs and stuff they squeezed habitation bubbles into. Small familiar looking 'white blood cell' immune defence creatures would've roamed the halls, and for a while they thought about giving it a full head and mouth.

I kinda wish they'd gone with that, made them much more clearly eva-esque-tech with a more similar aesthetic to the Evas themselves. It would've felt more natural fitting the setting. Maybe not quite this much though (Oh, I only just realised the two big forward hulls are meant to be like Eva shoulder pylons)

Thanks for sharing this, as a fan of body horror this is a really interesting concept and I too wish that they had gone with these original designs for the Wunder. We still get hints of this via the sound effects in the movies (and I am a huge fan of the sound design in Evangelion, it's incredibly creepy and haunting) but those sketches are exciting to see and imagine in a finalized form. The 'white blood cell' creatures that would have roamed the halls just makes the design even better given what they reference and as nightmarish as 3.33 was, I think the design you shared would have been ideal for the direction that they went in.

I still enjoyed each Rebuild greatly and am very glad that the movies exist, but given Anno's comments of maybe one day filling in the time gap and seeing the sketches you have shared, part of me wishes that the Rebuild series had been longer than four movies. I saw on Wikipedia that Anno had to cut a chunk from Thrice Upon a Time and it's still a very long film, so I would have loved if Rebuild had been six films rather than four, or perhaps even longer. I think that it ended perfectly and obviously Covid (and Anno's personal issues hindering him once more) interfered with production so in many ways it's a miracle we were treated to such a great end for Evangelion, but I definitely would not have complained about the Rebuild series being longer - keeping the same ending but just giving us more in the middle.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

They're free

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

disliked: This didn't seem like the right message for an earth in 2021 that is actually experiencing mass extinction and biosphere collapse. Like a boomer telling me to take a bath, have some kids, be more like your doctor friend and start a credit union?? That aint going to do it man. Too much multiply and be fruitful and not enough reap/sow. We can't just plant some more rice and go catch a fish when seasons besides summer barely exist, forests and permafrost are burning and the oceans are poisoned.

I loved that message during this second year of plague. Yeah the world ended and we're teetering on the brink of death, but keep on truckin'.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

I adore this :3:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vacation Shinji is the best.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I loved that message during this second year of plague. Yeah the world ended and we're teetering on the brink of death, but keep on truckin'.

Yeah like, sure poo poo’s hosed, but what are you gonna do? Just lie down and die? Until the last person on earth is dead you may as well keep fighting and pushing to live as fully as you can.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

This film was being super heavy handed obvious explaining things to our face, I disagree that the film doesn't definitively say this given the entire run through instrumentality (and both their stated desires to be with each other through it) and their closeness at the end. They almost kiss and then they hold hands to run off into the sunset, in what piece of cinema is that not an explicit direction that they're a romantic couple?

Yes. I love them all and I was sad this film didn't have the rainbow prism credits :/

Them hooking up is definitely the most straightforward way to read the ending. But one of the interesting decisions is that the movie doesn't end with with the idea of love necessarily. It ends with the idea of freedom.

My petty fujoshi opinion is that they never kiss, say I love you, or start a family together, so I'm textually free to imagine that they're just real close pals and that Mari just likes giving her friends platonic naked haircuts and has no boundaries, and that's why she's so close to Shinji at the end and he's gotten self confident enough to be a bit of a flirt back. But that they aren't strictly irrefutably a couple. I'm not saying this is the primary reading, just a possible reading

It really doesn't matter either way. Shinji found happiness and a way to live in the world and he found someone to share that with. We can all go outside now and suffer heat stroke

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

And have the AU headcanon where Kaworu takes Shinji’s pep talk to heart, goes off to be his own person for a while, and still comes back for him a while later

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just remembered Robin Williams was a huge Evangelion fan.

:smith:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I am super loving pissed that every version of 1.0/2.0 I've seen since their original release don't have the rainbow flare credits.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Szmitten posted:

I am super loving pissed that every version of 1.0/2.0 I've seen since their original release don't have the rainbow flare credits.

I am so so glad I have the Blu Rays that preserved this, and I'm still sad 1.0 and 2.0 were the only ones that got it. Someone else asked if they are doing a physical release and they better so I can complete my collection.

Cephas - your point is valid, it certainly is open enough for you or anyone else to apply your lens to it and have it make sense given what we're shown. I think that's a kinda stretching it personally given cinematic tropes, but I won't say your reading isn't viable from that perspective.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I just remembered Robin Williams was a huge Evangelion fan.

:smith:

God, he probably would have loved the poo poo out of 3.0+1.0.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Imagine if thrice upon a time had a scene where Shinji had to pilot an end of eva mass production unit and fought off bad guys with a sword

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Plus, it's a change of pace for me from last year when I was playing Last of Us 2 during the first year of the plague where a lot of the message was "you think humanity can do any good? you loving DONKEY"

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

MechaX posted:

Plus, it's a change of pace for me from last year when I was playing Last of Us 2 during the first year of the plague where a lot of the message was "you think humanity can do any good? you loving DONKEY"

I hadn't thought about it alongside zombie movies, but I'd much rather go out trucking than shooting.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Mild FF14 spoilers, but:

https://twitter.com/oryzamercury/status/1427754327548960771?s=21

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gauis wakes up on the beach from End of Eva

"Such devastation!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

nine-gear crow posted:

God, he probably would have loved the poo poo out of 3.0+1.0.

Yeah that's why it hit me hard.

As bad as the abandonned live-action Hollywood Evangelion would have been, Robin Williams would have been great in it.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Robin Williams as the SEELE guy (Khiel?), Gendo or Fuyutski?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Weird BIAS posted:

Robin Williams as the SEELE guy (Khiel?), Gendo or Fuyutski?

Gotta be Gendo.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Robin Williams is Mari the gently caress are yall on about

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Robin Williams is the entire cast, please stop fighting

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the greatest crime of the netflix translations was cutting Fyutsuki's "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room." from EoE.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
after a year and a month away from this thread to avoid potential spoilers i finally managed to watch 3.0+1.0

it's something that i wish i could have seen in a theatrical release first, but i just didn't have the will power to hold onto that delicate thread of hope while more and more discussion of the movie was happening around me

i think it was a good coda for the series, though i was satisfied with both the end of the tv series and eoe so rebuild has always been in a bit of weird place for me as i follow up i kind of never asked for. i watched the show and the movie at such a formative age that i knew rebuild was never going to have the same kind of impact no matter how it developed, though i'll admit the end of 2.0 and all of 3.0 were a hoot and a half in what they did with my expectations.

4.0 has me feeling odd, in that were the characters end up makes perfect sense, but there is this feeling of disconnect in that they all kind of jump there without much prompting. in the context of the wider body of work it all makes sense, but in the movie itself it's less convincing. i think that's why i found the ending pretty understandable, while the person watching with me who's less familiar with the series found it to fall flat. i think it's understandable though given time constraints, and i appreciate anno's desire to just kind of put a cap on the whole series

on the production side, i continued to love the designs and i appreciated the various free fall fights, but boy was that last fight between unit 1 and unit 13 rough. i don't know if there was supposed to be some deeper meaning to having the fight look like two rather weightless humans brawling rather than the classic evangelion weight, but boy that did not look great

well now that i've thrown my random thoughts out into the world i'll go look for tuxedo catfish's posts in the time i've been gone, i'm sure they'll help me contextualize the thoughts i have

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

on the production side, i continued to love the designs and i appreciated the various free fall fights, but boy was that last fight between unit 1 and unit 13 rough. i don't know if there was supposed to be some deeper meaning to having the fight look like two rather weightless humans brawling rather than the classic evangelion weight, but boy that did not look great

It's supposed to look fake as gently caress, that much is clear, but the meaning behind it is something I still don't get.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

trucutru posted:

It's supposed to look fake as gently caress, that much is clear, but the meaning behind it is something I still don't get.

i mean about a half hour after finishing my viewing my thought is that it's supposed to a) represent that shinji and gendo are clashing as two human beings rather than robots, b)being angry and lashing out at the people causing you pain doesn't bring catharsis, and c) something to do with the movie set motif that keeps popping up that i don't fully understand. which fair enough, but god drat i really wanted a classic brawl for at least a couple of seconds in the 2:30 hour runtime

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

trucutru posted:

The "fight" is "actually" two guys in suits instead of two gigantic Eva units, emphasizing how it's not what matters, and how they're moving outside the world of Eva into the real world, with them going through the sets to reach the production studio where Evangelion is made, where Shinji talks things through with everyone before he leaves to the train station.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Tbh the "it's meant to look bad!" take doesn't really sit well with me, and if it had classic Eva weight to it nobody would complain.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Tbh the "it's meant to look bad!" take doesn't really sit well with me, and if it had classic Eva weight to it nobody would complain.

The weight is the one thing it can't have, though. The whole first part of the fight exists to build up to Shinji hitting the sky as the viewer sees more and more that this doesn't feel right.

If it felt proper from the jump, the punchline carries no weight.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the importance for that whole scene is is that the bgs cycle through basically a bunch of Important Places that are related to the core of the series in the scope of the characters and the places they interact instead of Generic Fight City or old nerv command room Fight HQ

the only places missing are the train and elevator, and the train is covered shortly later

also at some point in this movie shinji effectively becomes aware of All EVA and i have no fuckin clue when it happens because it is very clearly before he ever gets back in the robot

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 19, 2021

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

trucutru posted:

It won't be the first movie with an esoteric backdrop to have an ending where it's revealed that life is like a giant cinema set like Jodorowsky's 1973 movie Holy Mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'll have to think on this when i'm not tired as gently caress, but right now the one actual complaint i have is misato kind of getting a truncated character arc that really bothers me. everyone else gets to this place were they at least have an understanding of what their issues are, but all the survivors guilt misato has and the self-hate that comes from it and how she projects that onto her relationships with others seem to not only be there, but is even worse because now she's carrying around guilt from letting kaji fly off to sacrifice himself for humanity and being the adult responsible for trapping shinji in robot in part because she was projecting a ton of her baggage onto him, and this manifests by completely cutting herself out from her sons life because she feels like that isn't something she deserves.

i guess there's something to her making the decision to be the one to die this time rather than the one to live on with the guilt, but boy that doesn't really strike me as a resolution in line with everyone else's. and there is something to pushing past her guilt to reach out to shinji again, but boy it feels like she got short shrift when kaji is showing up in the post-instrumentality wrap-up and she isn't.

i think it wouldn't really bother me except that the movie is so direct with every other character that it sticks out like a sore thumb