Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I can afford one (1) book, whats the hottest poo poo currently out on normie e-book :cabot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Biplane posted:

I can afford one (1) book, whats the hottest poo poo currently out on normie e-book :cabot:
The Infinite and the Divine.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

The Infinite and the Divine.

Its real good, but I think I found the one: helwinter gate, which I somehow missed was by my man chris wraight. I'll have to wait until it's out on the 28th though :argh:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Biplane posted:

Its real good, but I think I found the one: helwinter gate, which I somehow missed was by my man chris wraight. I'll have to wait until it's out on the 28th though :argh:

It's the 3rd in a trilogy, don't skip the first two.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Biplane posted:

Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Philthy posted:

Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion

This, absolutely excellent.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Concur on Watchers of the Throne, I liked that series way more than I thought I would. Anybody know if they're doing a third book for that?

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I'm working through Scars, and Magnus just admitted to Jaghatai that he knows the Emperor's name, and it would surprise him. I thought knowing the emperor's name would be a big deal.

BigShasta fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 18, 2021

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Magnus thinking he knows something and then being wrong is like his entire Thing. I’d probably take it with a grain of salt.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

“I know the Emperor’s name, and it is Cleatus Jimbo”

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Fred?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BigShasta posted:

I'm working through Scars, and Magnus just admitted to Jaghatai that he knows the Emperor's name, and it would surprise him. I thought knowing the emperor's name would be a big deal.

The name of the Emperor is Steve

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The name of the Emperor is Steve

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The Emperor’s name is Bigger Than You.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
Fuzzy Dunlop

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

It's actually Brad

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

A cool bit of lore I'd enjoy seeing in W40k fiction is one of the names of the Machine god being Eurisko.

Eurisko was an early attempt at "system-expert" style artificial intelligence that got banned from ever participating in a national wargaming competition back in the 1980's because it won that wargaming competition for two years straight.
https://aliciapatterson.org/stories/eurisko-computer-mind-its-own

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

BigShasta posted:

I remember reading this and thinking "uh, isn't that a big deal in a world where names give you power?". Like, the Space Wolf book (might have been Prospero Burns) where a character is able to avoid being defeated by some psyker because they got his name wrong?

Besides, didn't we find out in Saturnine that the Emperor's name is Neo ?

(no, really)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The emperor is Keanu?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Azubah posted:

The emperor is Keanu?

whoah

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Dog_Meat posted:

I remember reading this and thinking "uh, isn't that a big deal in a world where names give you power?". Like, the Space Wolf book (might have been Prospero Burns) where a character is able to avoid being defeated by some psyker because they got his name wrong?

Besides, didn't we find out in Saturnine that the Emperor's name is Neo ?

(no, really)

Neoth but it wasn't his true name just one he had gone by during one point in history when one of the perpetuals had known him.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

For the two goons who didn't already know, after the Land Raider was retconned to having been named after Arkhan Land, the fandom started a joke that the Emperor's name was Jimmy Space. Because they are his Space Marines.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I'm glad I made that post because all the responses gave me a good chuckle!

Right after I read that passage and insta-posted, the Khan basically said "Yeah, right"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BigShasta posted:

I'm glad I made that post because all the responses gave me a good chuckle!

Right after I read that passage and insta-posted, the Khan basically said "Yeah, right"

"sure thing bro"

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Is Angel Exterminatus worth the read if I'm curious about Perturabo? I don't know anything much beyond what I've read in this thread about him.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

The emperor's name is Biggus Diccus and he had a son by a Jewish woman back in 1BC.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MrNemo posted:

The emperor's name is Biggus Diccus and he had a son by a Jewish woman back in 1BC.

That was Naughtius Maximus, pleb.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

BigShasta posted:

Is Angel Exterminatus worth the read if I'm curious about Perturabo? I don't know anything much beyond what I've read in this thread about him.

For the purpose you stated? Yes; I'd say Angel Exterminatus has the best Perturabo material of any book published by Black Library. He absolutely steals every scene he's in. The book was commissioned really more as a Fulgrim/Emperor's Children novel, but Pertie and the Iron Warriors sieged the author's imagination and came away with the best bits of the book.

As a novel? It's kinda meh. It's readability can be significantly improved however by skipping through the chapters that focus on Double Edgelord Raven Guard Super Ninja and his Iron Hands sidekicks.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Perturabo is presented as a tremendous, and I mean tremendous dweeb in the siege of terra books so Im curious how they are going to recover from that.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

dingo with a joint posted:

As a novel? It's kinda meh. It's readability can be significantly improved however by skipping through the chapters that focus on Double Edgelord Raven Guard Super Ninja and his Iron Hands sidekicks.

I knew there was something from that book that I didn't like but I couldn't remember what it was. Seriously... wtf was with that cringey Mary Sue? Has he appeared in anything else or did he go full Poochie and die while flying back to his home planet?

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Dog_Meat posted:

I knew there was something from that book that I didn't like but I couldn't remember what it was. Seriously... wtf was with that cringey Mary Sue? Has he appeared in anything else or did he go full Poochie and die while flying back to his home planet?

Duder's name is Sharrowkin or something like that. I'm pretty sure every time the "survivors of Istvaan super friends" crew appear during the remainder of the HH series, ya boy Double Edgelord is there to ruin every scene. Graeme McNeill is an astonishingly variable author; his ability to speed from delightful to todge in the course of a chapter changeover beggars belief.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

dingo with a joint posted:

Duder's name is Sharrowkin or something like that. I'm pretty sure every time the "survivors of Istvaan super friends" crew appear during the remainder of the HH series, ya boy Double Edgelord is there to ruin every scene. Graeme McNeill is an astonishingly variable author; his ability to speed from delightful to todge in the course of a chapter changeover beggars belief.

ooh, ooh... guess who ACTUALLY killed Horus. Like, the Emps was all like "OMG I'm losing" and Olly was all like "What shall we do?!" but then ShadowShinobi does a cool flip on his skateboard and TOTALLY takes out everyone in the room before adjusting his fedora, drawing his hanzo steel and killing horus. And Horus is like "foiled again, drat you!". Then the Emps goes for a burger with ShallowKid...

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
“And it truly was a Warhammer 40k”

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

and everyone clapped.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

Concur on Watchers of the Throne, I liked that series way more than I thought I would. Anybody know if they're doing a third book for that?

I wanna say they were doing another. The fact they made minis of the two main characters is badass.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Dog_Meat posted:

ooh, ooh... guess who ACTUALLY killed Horus. Like, the Emps was all like "OMG I'm losing" and Olly was all like "What shall we do?!" but then ShadowShinobi does a cool flip on his skateboard and TOTALLY takes out everyone in the room before adjusting his fedora, drawing his hanzo steel and killing horus. And Horus is like "foiled again, drat you!". Then the Emps goes for a burger with ShallowKid...

I mean, he does die in the Novella that takes place after the Solar War. So does everyone else.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I’m not that bothered by the idea that raven guards who survived isstvan without being in Corax’s crew are some of the most stone cold badasses among the legions generally so I’ll allow them the one guy who can out duel Lucius

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
can someone with that xenos biology book confirm for me if orks have cloacas? it's for an important argument

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Based on phrasing it appears that they don't. There are no "vestigial organs" it seems, so with spores being a thing it's logical to assume that they are Ken dolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Arquinsiel posted:

Based on phrasing it appears that they don't. There are no "vestigial organs" it seems, so with spores being a thing it's logical to assume that they are Ken dolls.

Yeah, Orks are a fungus so they reproduce as such