Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

eXXon posted:

In other news, I remember hearing about this before. If it's actually widespread I wonder if Uber/Lyft are planning to rely on similar bullshit and more surge pricing to gouge people occasionally rather than hiking prices across the board.

https://twitter.com/NerdyAndNatural/status/1427614996738068485

It's my understanding that this is an urban myth from 2016. But it's easy to test - just charge your phone and look up a ride and compare it to your friend or partner's uncharged phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Can an iPhone app even access your current battery life anymore? I suppose there might be some markers if power saver is turned on, but iirc Apple removed the ability to query battery percentage.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Baronash posted:

Can an iPhone app even access your current battery life anymore? I suppose there might be some markers if power saver is turned on, but iirc Apple removed the ability to query battery percentage.

I'm not a mobile app developer but it looks like Android and iOS both offer APIs to monitor battery level without even needing to get permissions:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uidevice/batterystate
https://developer.android.com/training/monitoring-device-state/battery-monitoring

This is obviously intended for devs to enable some "low power mode" features and not for such malicious purposes. However, whether or not this is true, battery level seems like a good thing to put behind a permission.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

eXXon posted:

Well, uh, I guess there are no popups on Usenet...?

In other news, I remember hearing about this before. If it's actually widespread I wonder if Uber/Lyft are planning to rely on similar bullshit and more surge pricing to gouge people occasionally rather than hiking prices across the board.

https://twitter.com/NerdyAndNatural/status/1427614996738068485

A baggage delay on a flight to San Diego took my Uber fare from $49 to $99 in the 20 minutes I waited.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thomamelas posted:

Uber swears they don't do it. Which is a pretty clear sign they do it.

Yeah remember this?

https://twitter.com/amazonnews/status/1374911222361956359

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1378754175107006464

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Thomamelas posted:

Uber swears they don't do it. Which is a pretty clear sign they do it.

Throwing the firehose of user data at a machine learning model tasked with determining what the highest price a given person is willing to pay right now is a complete no-brainer. I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't do it.

"We pinky swear that we did not code that in, but if a black-boxed algorithm figures it out, that's just how the cookie crumbles"

Aramis fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 19, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Aramis posted:

Throwing the firehose of user data at a machine learning model tasked with determining what the highest price a given person is willing to pay right now is a complete no-brainer. I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't do it.

"We pinky swear that we did not code that in, but if a black-boxed algorithm figures it out, that's just how the cookie crumbles"

I mean, Amazon already does this with their pricing.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Elukka posted:

Where Facebook acts as an ISP, the internet you can access is restricted to the sites Facebook wants you to access. And then we've got phones, an example of what happens when these companies actually create an ecosystem from scratch: They control what apps are available, take a cut of all business, and determine who is allowed to compete in the market and how on an arbitrary basis.

For some reason, that last part doesn't ever seem to rile up the free market enthusiasts.

This exists in certain countries where the internet has been introduced mainly through smartphones. In Myanmar for example, Facebook is equivalent to the internet for the vast majority of people. This leads to the all online information being controlled by Facebook algorithms, which as we know leads to high quality news reporting and not massive echo chambers fueling genocide.

Many online platforms have deals with local ISPs to have a separate data-cap for their services to increase usage concentration, YouTube, Facebook etc.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Aramis posted:

Yeah, this is as easy as telling the algorithm:

"These users are exactly the same, except one has 5% battery. I'm not telling you that's relevant, you do whatever you want with that information"

I'd trust them a lot more if they categorically stated that battery level is not available to any ML algorithms at all.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Man's entire Oculus library disappears because the Facebook account he never used, but is required to have linked to his Oculus, got suspended.

Very glad I stayed away from that whole thing after Facebook bought it.

https://twitter.com/mechatodzilla/status/1428314425895890945?s=19

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Glad I don't know what oculus us.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

it annoyies me that people run their phones to such low % so i hope this encoruages people to have health bat% managment.

It doesnt effect you, why would you care

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

His Divine Shadow posted:

Glad I don't know what oculus us.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ignorance is strength

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

enki42 posted:

Yeah, this is as easy as telling the algorithm:

"These users are exactly the same, except one has 5% battery. I'm not telling you that's relevant, you do whatever you want with that information"

I'd trust them a lot more if they categorically stated that battery level is not available to any ML algorithms at all.

Even if they did state that, the "magic" of ML is that if a signal is really useful for the algorithm but is deemed unfairly discriminatory, the algorithm will often find ways to reconstruct the signal from other info.

If the local maxima of the modeled phenomena is correlated to battery level, then a well-performing ML algorithm is supposed to reach that maxima one way or another.

If it doesn't then what's the point? The whole value proposition of these systems is to identify unexpected and inscrutinably complex correlations.

Sure, you can run experiments to check but that's surprisingly hard. Two "identical" phones with very different battery levels is not an actual thing. One of them would be almost certainly out-of-distribution: a set of features that is unlikely to show up in the wild.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 19, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mister Facetious posted:

Two-factor authentication?

pssh.

X-Factor Authentication :itjb:

X GONNA CHECK IT FOR YA

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PhazonLink posted:

it annoyies me that people run their phones to such low % so i hope this encoruages people to have health bat% managment.

Sorry that I dared to use my phone during the winter and hosed the battery I guess.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

TheScott2K posted:

I work in the construction of very special and large moving objects, and there's nothing worse than when something getting fabricated/assembled in a shop gets on the radar of the project management types. They want daily updates on things that just ~take~ longer than that. When multiple shops are involved, unless it's needed to put out a non-methaphorical fire, it's gonna spend a day moving from one shop to the other, coatings take a certain amount of time to cure, machinists and machining tools take time to be set up and run, inspectors take time to do their job right, and it all just adds up to there being just a baseline amount of time it takes to do something correctly.

But we've taught a generation of management degree havers that there's always something wrong that can be fixed to magically make efficiency appear. It's axiomatic to them. You tell them "it takes a week," they ask every day of that week how to get it done faster, and when the answer is "you can't, and if you try it'll make everything worse" they sputter. Because that big status meeting with agenda items is their work product. The time spent between those meetings calling everyone involved and asking why it takes 5 days and not 3, that's their work, and if the time doesn't go down, well, what are they for?

It's especially obnoxious when there's a vendor involved. The bonus getters and schedule touchers all want to light up a vendor's phone to turn their six week lead time into a one week lead time, but the vendor are the only ones who make this special thing and we're 5% of their business. They can stop serving us whenever they want, and if we make ourselves 50% of their headaches guess what they'll do. The Visio jockeys think that because we're the ones opening our checkbook we're the ones who need to be happy. They think in one-day increments and everything is emails.

America straight up does not have a management culture that works, and it's hard not to notice that coinciding with them being the only ones who are allowed to be financially secure.

I have experienced all of this first hand. We had a weekly company-wide meeting that centered on the rain gutters for months because all the tasks the company was working on weren't getting weekly updates because the time between events was approximately a month.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Aramis posted:

Even if they did state that, the "magic" of ML is that if a signal is really useful for the algorithm but is deemed unfairly discriminatory, the algorithm will often find ways to reconstruct the signal from other info.

If the local maxima of the modeled phenomena is correlated to battery level, then a well-performing ML algorithm is supposed to reach that maxima one way or another.

If it doesn't then what's the point? The whole value proposition of these systems is to identify unexpected and inscrutinably complex correlations.

I think it is unlikely that Uber's dynamic pricing really leaves the significant variations (a 200% increase in the case of the alleged incident from the tweet) to a black box. I find it much more likely that most of the price setting is the result of known variables being put through a known algorithm. In other words, it's less cutting-edge ML than it is just automating what a reasonably competent person could do in Excel.

Aramis posted:

Sure, you can run experiments to check but that's surprisingly hard. Two "identical" phones with very different battery levels is not an actual thing. One of them would be almost certainly out-of-distribution: a set of features that is unlikely to show up in the wild.

I also disagree with this, because this actually is a wonderful application for ML. The same training data used to build the model can be used to generate thousands or even millions of fake customers/orders, which can then (potentially) be used to tease out the biases of your algorithm. It's frustrating, because this is probably what regulatory agencies should be requiring companies to do.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

I hate this picture. It reminds me of everything that I think is wrong about "tech." A billionaire "great man" happily headed to stage to drink in the attention of his acolytes and a group of people desperately wishing that the future was now. The only thing I like about this picture is that the door is open in the back, a flash of distant hope that the rest of us can get out of here before the ritual begins.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/katienotopoulos/status/1428393906518036482

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

How is it that Zuckerberg is the creepiest thing in a room full of people looking like are extras in a sci-fi film about brainwashing?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Imagine having virtually limitless resources to create an alternative reality of your own imagination and picking a generic office/meeting room with creepy floating legless avatars as your go-to destination.

Also, Facebook VR brought us this post:

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1409576956828405760

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Motronic posted:

You are not alone.

MickeyFinn posted:

Ditto.

One of the things I realized at my last job is that the people who aren't capable of doing any of the work themselves, or prefer not to do that work, spend all day moving work around. For those people, engagement with the flow of work is all they have. They answer all emails immediately, they blast out emails/chats to find out what is going on with such-and-such, and they look for who knows how to make that thing work (or work better). Worse still, those actions are visible. Just look at how much John Doe is accomplishing! I don't think those people are oblivious to the miasma of junk connectivity that is modern work/life, I think they are making a career of it. None of this is to say that managing work is bad or that managers have to be experts in everything that they might manage, but I noticed that the "Work Flow-ers" don't really understand the pace of results in the work going on, so their rate of communication is incompatible with the rate of work completion in the same way your kids asking "are we there yet?" will drive you up the wall. End rant, I guess.

Thank you both for the empathetic replies. I felt like I was on an island as a lone oddball.

I'm fairly old by SA standards I guess and have been here a while but still like it here a lot. I seriously feel like the world is beginning to pass me by, professionally and socially. I'd love to do the math sometime on how much time I spend responding to digital communications, incompatibility and wrestling with "updates" and poo poo like that compared to the time all this at my fingertips convenience actually saves me. I don't have a ton of money to spend on phones, laptops, Adobe Creative subscriptions and LOATHE the idea of coordinating all my log ins and bill paying with Google or whoever.

My phone and inbox(es) just never shut the gently caress up and, like MickeyFinn posted, all the jobs I've had lately seem hyper focused on "efficiency" through almost CONSTANT messages, inboxes, texts and what have you. The managers are the worst. I spend at least as much time responding to this poo poo as I do actually WORKING at the job they ostensibly hired me to do in the first place. There's nothing streamlined or efficient about any of it. So much of it is noise and half the time the information given to me is incomplete, inaccurate or just outright missing.

I'm not a "get off the grid and go live in the woods type" (but I'm close, baby) because I like SOME of what modern tech offers me and am not really all that "handy" when it comes to the skills needed to do that sort of thing. But the big problem for me is that the new normal EXPECTS me to be all in with my phone, laptop, car, bill paying, doctor visits, etc. If I don't answer a text within an hour, people think I'm dead or something, rather than just driving, napping, listening to music, at the movies in my yard or doing ANYTHING else under the sun than babysitting my little mini computer and constantly checking my email.

It's taking a serious toll on me, my mental health and my job prospects.

I can't imagine what it must be like for a 70 year old or, worse, what it'll be like when I'm that age.

Just put the loving chip in me already and be done with it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

But the big problem for me is that the new normal EXPECTS me to be all in with my phone, laptop, car, bill paying, doctor visits, etc. If I don't answer a text within an hour, people think I'm dead or something, rather than just driving, napping, listening to music, at the movies in my yard or doing ANYTHING else under the sun than babysitting my little mini computer and constantly checking my email.

For the things outside of work: you need to lay down your own expectations for family and friends.

Even when I was working people knew that there was a really good chance I wasn't contactable because I was out of cell phone range either at the hunting cabin or my back yard, both of which have had plenty good enough cell phone coverage for years, but nobody needs to know that. Some of them know that I just never take my phone off my night stand a lot of days. I don't feel the need to be in constant and immediate contact, and people need to get used to that. Set your own boundaries.

And I would say to also do that early and often at work if you have the flexibility/juice to do so. I'm far enough along in my career that I absolutely do.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Motronic posted:

For the things outside of work: you need to lay down your own expectations for family and friends.

Even when I was working people knew that there was a really good chance I wasn't contactable because I was out of cell phone range either at the hunting cabin or my back yard, both of which have had plenty good enough cell phone coverage for years, but nobody needs to know that. Some of them know that I just never take my phone off my night stand a lot of days. I don't feel the need to be in constant and immediate contact, and people need to get used to that. Set your own boundaries.

And I would say to also do that early and often at work if you have the flexibility/juice to do so. I'm far enough along in my career that I absolutely do.

I've tried.

I've made it clear to my employer(s) that unless I'm on salary or on the clock, expect nothing and that I prefer to come in early if possible.

My ex wife sent me 18 texts yesterday because my son wasn't "following the morning rules" and refused to wear something or another. Clothes or some poo poo I dunno. Hardly an emergency. He's 10. I got out of the shower and thought he's had a seizure or some poo poo.

She thinks I'm failing at our co-parenting agreement after the divorce if I'm not on call 24/7 and I'm just....NOT. I don't keep my phone by the bed because gently caress that. It's either her texting me something about Prince, some news I already know about, my son not eating his pot roast or one of my friends trying to be funny because they don't keep the hours I do (in bed at 9pm and up at 4 or 5) and are sending me something stupid.

If there's a real emergency, I told my ex to send a squad car or a neighbor out my way to roust me out of bed and I'll be on it. Except it's NEVER an emergency.

True emergencies are pretty rare but you'd never know it. Nowadays, EVERYTHING is treated with the same gravitas as a true emergency and a failure to respond in a timely fashion is viewed as a shortcoming on your part instead of the nothing burger it usually is.

It's all just speeding up the way we communicate but robbing of its essence. I don't need an app for every store I buy things from, not constant reminders that they still sell things.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 19, 2021

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1428312798220754954

:psyduck:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Well, someone needs to fill the husks of long-gone Walmarts, right?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Baronash posted:

I also disagree with this, because this actually is a wonderful application for ML. The same training data used to build the model can be used to generate thousands or even millions of fake customers/orders, which can then (potentially) be used to tease out the biases of your algorithm. It's frustrating, because this is probably what regulatory agencies should be requiring companies to do.

That sounds super interesting: require that companies submit their ML algorithms to a standard set of data to tease out if the algorithm is engaging in any sort of harmful bias. In a sense doing a legal audit of ML algorithms.

Maybe create a official government position of inspectors who go around and test these algorithms.

That even sounds like something a private regulatory body might want to get into as well, so companies can market that they have "official not-racist algorithms" (disregarding how silly that sounds right now).

E: less ridiculous sounding: say you have an algorithm to determine who is eligible for a home loan. You'd want to know if that algorithm engages in implicit red-lining. The last thing you'd want is discriminatory decisions being tolerated just because the "black-box" AI said so.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 19, 2021

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

So I guess they've given up on Amazon Go with the anti-theft cameras that you could fool by just going into the bathroom.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

they probably figure that now is a good time to pick up a ton of assets at bargain bin prices (thanks corona) and their new stores will tie in a bunch of monopolist perks to give themselves an edge

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It'd also make same day delivery easier by doubling as warehousing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

eXXon posted:

Imagine having virtually limitless resources to create an alternative reality of your own imagination and picking a generic office/meeting room with creepy floating legless avatars as your go-to destination.

Also, Facebook VR brought us this post:

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1409576956828405760

Imagine having to sell this future to boomers who demand butts in seats.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

All hail, Lord Bezos. King of the bathroom and business model examples for any business owner employing anyone anywhere. They ALL seem to want to emulate how he fills orders.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

no hay camino posted:

So I guess they've given up on Amazon Go with the anti-theft cameras that you could fool by just going into the bathroom.

This story is amazing. The writer didn't just hide poo poo in his bag in the bathroom or something, no... he changed his shirt in the bathroom and from then on the AI camera system didn't recognize him and nothing he picked up anywhere in the store counted towards his bill.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

i see amazon gon go kill the Spirit Halloween industry by hoovering up all those dusty abandoned sears and pennys

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

All hail, Lord Bezos. King of the bathroom and business model examples for any business owner employing anyone anywhere. They ALL seem to want to emulate how he fills orders.

You wanna know the secret to his success? Central planning :ssh:

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 20, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Thomamelas posted:

How is it that Zuckerberg is the creepiest thing in a room full of people looking like are extras in a sci-fi film about brainwashing?

Because he's the android like figure and the only one in view oh the photo not wearing the oculus.

Like he's keeping the masses enticed while persuing his true vision which is rahed as his lack of a VR headset.

Deep

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Staluigi posted:

i see amazon gon go kill the Spirit Halloween industry by hoovering up all those dusty abandoned sears and pennys

Turn them into combination warehouse/stores ala CDW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Online retailers definitely benefit from the brick-and-mortar shops - loads of people go into a shop and browse items which they later buy for less online. So once online retailers have driven all the brick-and-mortar shops out of business, it'll make sense for them to try replacing them.