Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
the thing that gets me about the anti mask stuff is it's all over a bunch of year old ill fitting pieces of cloth that aren't going to do poo poo against delta after all other NPIs have been abandoned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

loving lol that twitter is now what counts as lib public health policy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Acelerion posted:

man whats the going rate on a month long ICU stay. The uninsured are going to die and get hit with a million dollar bill

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/07/26/1019916638/amid-massive-hospital-sell-off-corporate-giant-continues-suing-patients

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Hey, that's my school district! I get emails and phone calls from Carol Birdsong all the time

seriously wtf is going on there

anti mask riot
school board meetings are now using metal detectors
one of the Capitol rioters outed a Williamson Co sheriff
and now a middle school that's 1/3 covid virus

and that's all in the last week

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

fosborb posted:

this is same county that had the viral video of an anti mask riot during their school board meeting like last week

I lived in Fairview for years, these are the same idiots who think Marsha Blackburn cares about anything other than telecom lobbyist cash.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fosborb posted:

the thing that gets me about the anti mask stuff is it's all over a bunch of year old ill fitting pieces of cloth that aren't going to do poo poo against delta after all other NPIs have been abandoned

Meanwhile even well meaning people are out there wearing lovely pieces of cloth because there has been no attempt at public communication that they need to upgrade and wear something that'll help them on an individual level vs something that just helps if everyone wear one.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Acelerion posted:

man whats the going rate on a month long ICU stay. The uninsured are going to die and get hit with a million dollar bill

obviously varies based on a lot of factors but

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1427462751434252292
so 30 day stay would ballpark at $400,000+

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Mr. Nice! posted:

poo poo sucks, and there's definitely plenty to worry about. most goons are not in the category of 'people dying from breakthroughs infections.' that was the only thing I was trying to say today.

Also I didn't think you were being sarcastic and I wasn't either. I meant it, I'm the sort that will tell everyone else all the ways things are likely to go right and internalize all the ways things can go wrong. So I really meant it's nice to hear another voice reinforcing the the things that are likely to go right.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fosborb posted:

The other NPIs were abandoned by May 2020.

I'm amazed that when my workplace reinstituted it's half-assed mask policy, everyone just pulled out the single cloth mask we got issued last fall from their desk drawers

It literally is all clearly dirty cloth masks at the office, because no one has figured out how to wash them.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Thoguh posted:

Meanwhile even well meaning people are out there wearing lovely pieces of cloth because there has been no attempt at public communication that they need to upgrade and wear something that'll help them on an individual level vs something that just helps if everyone wear one.

plenty of public communication about masks not being needed

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
does anyone else know anyone who still uses cloth masks? I know a couple people who do and it’s just…. motherfuckin WHY?????

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

fosborb posted:

good lord

good news, citizens of alabama - relief is at hand:
https://twitter.com/newsmax/status/1428567509016317964

:stonk:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
He's making a comeback!

I mean trump's covid of course

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

im a crack in and a ping in

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

durrneez posted:

does anyone else know anyone who still uses cloth masks? I know a couple people who do and it’s just…. motherfuckin WHY?????

My wife and most of my family still do even though I have offered everyone KF94s and KN95s. My mom and my stepmom both took me up on the KF94s and my father in law at least wears a surgical mask but everyone else is still in cloth and nothing I say or do seems to be able to change that because they all know people that got exposed while wearing a cloth mask and didn't get COVID so therefore a cloth mask is all anyone could ever need!

Apr 7, 2003

I went to Costco last night to do a final stock-up before poo poo gets really dire and cold weather sets in and you wouldn't know anything was wrong. Piles of non-masked folks, full parking lots at the restaurants, people shopping without a care in the world. And this is one of the better areas for pandemic hygiene and vaccination.

Once someone in a national position of power acknowledges that we're heading into a raft of poo poo the panic is going to set in and it's not going to be pretty.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

durrneez posted:

if you're not part of a niche doomer internet community or following epidemiologist twitter, i don't think you'd even know it's an issue tbh

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol at the bottom article "What are you wearing when you go back to the office?"

Was anyone actually excited to return back to the ol' Cube Farm experience?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

durrneez posted:

Literally everyone in my office. Explanations include:
  • Well I've been wearing it this whole time and I'm still not sick.
  • That's all we could get at first.
  • Why would I use a disposable mask when I have a perfectly good reusable one.
  • They're more convenient to fold up and keep in a purse/pocket.
But everyone in my office still takes their masks off at their desks and pulls them down to sip coffee in crowded meetings.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 20, 2021

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Lots of people here who plan to buy their way out of any problem

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Der Meister posted:

sounds like he almost certainly had a stroke

one of the theories is that long covid is actually the result of a series of minor strokes that people suffer when they're struggling with high fever over extended periods of time. my dad had a fever for close to two months straight. drugs could keep him just under 100 at best. his motor function limitations and brain issues are consistent with a stroke but he otherwise has no other medical signs of one (not that I know what they are, but he was explicitly told he did not have a large stroke).

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

one of the theories is that long covid is actually the result of a series of minor strokes that people suffer when they're struggling with high fever over extended periods of time. my dad had a fever for close to two months straight. drugs could keep him just under 100 at best. his motor function limitations and brain issues are consistent with a stroke but he otherwise has no other medical signs of one (not that I know what they are, but he was explicitly told he did not have a large stroke).

small strokes can be occult on imaging sometimes. and many small strokes depending on where they are can be debilitating. I hope he is not being dismissed and has a good team caring for him.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

"WHAt ARe YOu wEARIng To gO bAcK To thE OFFice?"

a respirator

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Please kindly die elsewhere so we don't look bad again

https://twitter.com/RobertANJax/status/1428514053324947461?s=20

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
got a fever? no problem as long as that's your only symptom

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

etalian posted:

lol at the bottom article "What are you wearing when you go back to the office?"

I'm never doing it again. I'll mow lawns before I sit in a gd cube for 8 hours a day under an annoying florescent light. My "manager" keeps saying "Did you see the communication about coming back into the office?" and I'm like "Yeah, I saw it" and I'm loving ignoring it. Fire me. Do it.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Just put a sign in all the covid units that forbids sitting/laying down, then nobody will ever die.

Apr 7, 2003

local news

also local news

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Lacrosse posted:

How long before they hire security guards to harass anyone that collapses in the floor?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lacrosse posted:

lmao the US is such a shithouse of a nation.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Joementum posted:

got a fever? no problem as long as that's your only symptom

just random bull poo poo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

etalian posted:

Plenty of people love cube life. They get to gossip around the coffee pot and talk about anime really loudly because they can't do that at home with a wife and kids around.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

How long before they hire security guards to harass anyone that collapses in the floor?

yea they may have been sick

so anyway, I started blastin'

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Der Meister posted:

small strokes can be occult on imaging sometimes. and many small strokes depending on where they are can be debilitating. I hope he is not being dismissed and has a good team caring for him.

he's got a solid relationship with his primary care doc (he has his personal number and they text periodically) and his work genuinely is trying to help him out. they created a job exclusively for him (does not exist anywhere else in the corporate structure) where he just researches things for mechanics, orders parts, and provides guidance/over the shoulder troubleshooting help around 20 hours a week or so.

he fights with people on facebook about getting vaccinated or any flippant dismissal of the disease.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Love that they have critically ill Covid+ patients in a carpeted room that can't be sanitized

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lacrosse posted:

Love that they have critically ill Covid+ patients in a carpeted room that can't be sanitized

deep cleaning!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i would like to note that my dad got sick with covid in late september last year, spent almost two weeks at home before we could get him to go to the hospital, and then over two months in the hospital with most of that in the icu and 15 days on a vent. he was discharged on his 61st birthday in december of last year. he is just as hosed up as he was then today. he's had some minor improvements with his left arm following some surgery to relieve pressure on some nerves, but is still very much hosed up. it's been almost a year since he first got sick.

this also drove him to bankruptcy, but now that all his boomer debt is discharged (save the mortgage and step-mom's car), they can afford their bills even on his limited work schedule.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

i would like to note that my dad got sick with covid in late september last year, spent almost two weeks at home before we could get him to go to the hospital, and then over two months in the hospital with most of that in the icu and 15 days on a vent. he was discharged on his 61st birthday in december of last year. he is just as hosed up as he was then today. he's had some minor improvements with his left arm following some surgery to relieve pressure on some nerves, but is still very much hosed up. it's been almost a year since he first got sick.

this also drove him to bankruptcy, but now that all his boomer debt is discharged (save the mortgage and step-mom's car), they can afford their bills even on his limited work schedule.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Lacrosse posted:

lmao owned