Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Tzen posted:

buy these things and you will survive

or you can go with this that will filter just covid
https://www.zoro.com/3m-filter-magenta-push-to-connect-pr-d3097/i/G5758086/

They're doing them in olive now too https://www.zoro.com/3m-combination-cartridgefilter-olive-pr-d3076hf/i/G5757702/?recommended=true :allears::allears::allears:

luv 2 coordinate my filters with my outfits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Thanks so much to you and everyone else for answering my dumb questions. Another dumb question: How do I know if I need the large or medium mask? I'm not seeing any measurements in the product specs.

Honestly if you can afford it buy both sizes and wear the better fitting

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Consummate Professional posted:

man, having bad water cause of a lox shortage is just something I would never guess

I can't wait to experience authentic florida swamp water..

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
*chuckles*

I'm in danger.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Consummate Professional posted:

man, having bad water cause of a lox shortage is just something I would never guess

Lox shortage? What will I put on my bagels?!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Imagine getting your first covid vaxx... and also picking up covid itself the same day! Bet this dude will have truly blessed big loving titers from this one. Assuming he doesn't die cause he's just getting worse now and I'm here to do a lung scan because apparently it's just a mystery as to why a covid patient would be having worsening hypoxia. Really gotta pull out all the testing stops to figure this one out. Just spread that covid all over the hospital to determine that water is wet.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Google Butt posted:

Honestly if you can afford it buy both sizes and wear the better fitting

Alright, fair enough. It's gonna cost me a bundle cause I also need to get a couple for my husband, but it's worth it.

Sorry, another question. How long do the combination cartridge/filters last? Should I buy extra?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the state governments of NY and NJ will send a shipment of lox and kippered salmon spread down to florida as aid

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
:hmmrona:

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

dooodooodoodooo

https://twitter.com/nicksuss/status/1428730152889077766

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Here's why:

they're dumb

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

i would like to note that my dad got sick with covid in late september last year, spent almost two weeks at home before we could get him to go to the hospital, and then over two months in the hospital with most of that in the icu and 15 days on a vent. he was discharged on his 61st birthday in december of last year. he is just as hosed up as he was then today. he's had some minor improvements with his left arm following some surgery to relieve pressure on some nerves, but is still very much hosed up. it's been almost a year since he first got sick.

this also drove him to bankruptcy, but now that all his boomer debt is discharged (save the mortgage and step-mom's car), they can afford their bills even on his limited work schedule.
loving brutal god drat

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Alright, fair enough. It's gonna cost me a bundle cause I also need to get a couple for my husband, but it's worth it.

Sorry, another question. How long do the combination cartridge/filters last? Should I buy extra?

check the manufacturers website too, usually they have on the product info page or datasheet a measurement guide to help get a rough idea of fit

carts will last 6 months or more vs. covid. they just get harder to pull in air as they get older. the carts that filter gas will be good for a month or two of that, but you don't need gas protection vs covid--just a P100

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

I wanted to tell you guys about my (hopefully) false positive covid test. I have a COVID NAAT machine and have been testing myself multiple times a week for the past few months. I have always been negative. I've been having allergies issues for a few weeks now, sneezing and runny nose type stuff. But on Wednesday night I felt a little tickle at the back of my throat – time for a COVID test!. It was positive. making GBS threads my pants, I did two more tests immediately afterwards as well as an Abbott Ag Binaxnow card. The NAATs were negative, but the Ag test was appeared positive at least according to this reference. Still unsure, yesterday I call my primary care to schedule a PCR. They made me do a virtual visit with an RN first, and I explained what was going on. She said they also had a NAAT machine and would have to send off for PCR. She sets me up with an appointment to get a nose swab in their parking lot. So I go and get swabbed yesterday, and have taken a couple more NAAT tests – all negative. I should expect PCR results back within three days. I also sent off an at-home swab for a second PCR via this company. I have some igG / igM assay cards and two of them were negative too.

I got my third Pfizer dose three weeks ago, only four months after my first round. I've been working in-person throughout the pandemic and started wearing an HF800 & P100 cartridges two weeks ago. At this point, I haven't had any symptoms since Wednesday so I'm almost sure it's a false positive.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

prepare for the whiplash when they rerun this opinion piece after the current wave ebbs

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The medium sized fit most people so odds are it will fit one of you. So buy a medium and you can both try it on. Then you'll probably have a good idea of if your second needs to be the same size, bigger, or smaller.

The filters/carts last six months or more but it's good to have at least one set of spares on hand just in case.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

If you get filters that do organic vapors as well as particulate filtration, the vapor portion will start degrading as soon as you open the package, but the particle filtration will last as long as a particle filtration-only cartridge will, which is a long loving time. Basically, you can keep wearing them until you start noticing it's more difficult to breathe through them, which, unless you're working in a forest fire, is gonna take months.

Still probably not a bad idea to have a couple spare pair of filters on hand, though (especially if you get the ones that have cloth on the outside, since if you get them wet or rained on, you need to replace the filters; that's a big part of why I buy the ones encased in plastic).

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Followup to the Williamson Co. School closure today just dropped:

Hello Williamson County Students, Families and Staff,

I’m calling with an update to our COVID mitigation strategies that will take effect on Monday, August 23.

Our district had to close Fairview Middle School today because too many staff and students were out for us to hold school. This day counts as one of Fairview Middle’s 10 stockpile/inclement weather days that are built into our school calendar. It does not count as a weather day for the school district.

Last year, the State Board of Education provided school districts the option to transition to remote learning when absenteeism became high. They have not provided school districts with that option this year, so we must use a weather day any time that we close. At this moment in time, if we exceed the number of weather days built into our calendar, we will need to make up those days.

With fewer tools right now than the State allowed last year, we will be implementing additional mitigation strategies beginning next week. Some of those include:

• No lunch visitors.
• Limiting volunteers and visitors in schools.
• Assemblies during the school day will be limited.

As always, you are encouraged to stay home if you are sick.

Thank you for working with us to utilize what tools we do have available to us to keep our students, staff and schools safe.

Thank you!

Carol Birdsong
Executive Director of Communications

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

McCracAttack posted:

The medium sized fit most people so odds are it will fit one of you. So buy a medium and you can both try it on. Then you'll probably have a good idea of if your second needs to be the same size, bigger, or smaller.

The filters/carts last six months or more but it's good to have at least one set of spares on hand just in case.

I found this reference chart on one of the sites I perused for respirators:

Note that the A measurement should be from the bridge of the nose, and not quite as high as the eyebrow (not the best diagram).

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

when covid disappears like a dream all this hysterical nonsense sure will look foolish!!

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Mr. Nice! posted:

i would like to note that my dad got sick with covid in late september last year, spent almost two weeks at home before we could get him to go to the hospital, and then over two months in the hospital with most of that in the icu and 15 days on a vent. he was discharged on his 61st birthday in december of last year. he is just as hosed up as he was then today. he's had some minor improvements with his left arm following some surgery to relieve pressure on some nerves, but is still very much hosed up. it's been almost a year since he first got sick.

this also drove him to bankruptcy, but now that all his boomer debt is discharged (save the mortgage and step-mom's car), they can afford their bills even on his limited work schedule.

i got it in december and I still have a lot of pain and pressure in my upper neck/lower head with pain in the legs. Finally got an MRI of my head and spine scheduled along with 4 other nerve tests next month. I'm honestly nervous about going to the hospital in September because by then COVID is gonna be 2-3 times as bad as it is now.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Saw one of the xray techs, he was telling me like half the staff is out for covid and it's a total shitshow. Doctors working hard to get staff killed with nonstop pointless cya imaging with no clinical value.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

“Evisceration for Ron De Santis.”

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Burn Zone posted:

I wanted to tell you guys about my (hopefully) false positive covid test. I have a COVID NAAT machine and have been testing myself multiple times a week for the past few months. I have always been negative. I've been having allergies issues for a few weeks now, sneezing and runny nose type stuff. But on Wednesday night I felt a little tickle at the back of my throat – time for a COVID test!. It was positive. making GBS threads my pants, I did two more tests immediately afterwards as well as an Abbott Ag Binaxnow card. The NAATs were negative, but the Ag test was appeared positive at least according to this reference. Still unsure, yesterday I call my primary care to schedule a PCR. They made me do a virtual visit with an RN first, and I explained what was going on. She said they also had a NAAT machine and would have to send off for PCR. She sets me up with an appointment to get a nose swab in their parking lot. So I go and get swabbed yesterday, and have taken a couple more NAAT tests – all negative. I should expect PCR results back within three days. I also sent off an at-home swab for a second PCR via this company. I have some igG / igM assay cards and two of them were negative too.

I got my third Pfizer dose three weeks ago, only four months after my first round. I've been working in-person throughout the pandemic and started wearing an HF800 & P100 cartridges two weeks ago. At this point, I haven't had any symptoms since Wednesday so I'm almost sure it's a false positive.

This is very interesting. Honestly though the fact that the NAAT machine gave you a positive and the Binax an ambiguous positive at the same time is suspicious, that's quite a coincidence esp as I understand the Ag tests have a very low false positive rate by design. Wondering if you had a minor infection that just barely reached detection threshold before your boosted immune system squashed it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

Saw one of the xray techs, he was telling me like half the staff is out for covid and it's a total shitshow. Doctors working hard to get staff killed with nonstop pointless cya imaging with no clinical value :salute:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

dew worm posted:

Feels like we are in a worse position now than March 2020
lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I have different filters but I just changed mine out after 6 months. I'd say buy a backup set or two and you'll be good for a while

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Hospital numbers

Around 120 current covid patients in hospital. Highest it's been was 160 back in january. They just shut down the ortho floor and are turning it into a covid wing, however.

42 patients in the ICU
38 patients on vent

Currently 61 employees infected with 36 having been vaccinated.

Positive tests among age groups are fairly evently distributed, but this doesn't really get into to fine a detail. it's 0-24, 25-44, 45 to 64, then 65+.

all our internal stuff is screaming for employees to get a booster.

Had a patient this morning. Immunocompromised. Getting his first shot. Told him to hold his mycophenolate 4-7 days post jab as tolerated.

hope everyone else's morning is going good and you're staying safe.
lmao christ

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dew worm posted:

Feels like we are in a worse position now than March 2020

what do you mean?? :confused: a democrat is president :confused:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Got my button-magnets today. Thank you!

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Burn Zone posted:

If your immune system nuked Delta, that's loving awesome

I wonder how many people with negative tests actually contracted the virus, but by the time they got tested, their immune system had fought it off?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

ram dass in hell posted:

You guys what if the covfefe tweet wasn't a typo about coffee what if it was a typo about warning about covid

It's entirely plausible that Trump can't hear for poo poo and refuses to get a hearing aid.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

empty whippet box posted:

what do you mean?? :confused: a democrat is president :confused:

the freaking orange cheeto is finally gone!!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tzen posted:

lmao christ

lmao at that breakthrough percentage

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

FizFashizzle posted:

Hospital numbers

Are you still in the Asheville area or did you move?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
lmao worldometer has us at 800 deaths so far and florida, california and 15 other states still haven't reported

looks like we're in the more than 1000 deaths a day territory again

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

lmao worldometer has us at 800 deaths so far and florida, california and 15 other states still haven't reported

wow!

this sucks!!

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

9/11 per day by 9/11 dream is still alive

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Rubby posted:

They're doing them in olive now too https://www.zoro.com/3m-combination-cartridgefilter-olive-pr-d3076hf/i/G5757702/?recommended=true :allears::allears::allears:

luv 2 coordinate my filters with my outfits
nice! damnit i just ordered/received my spares, otherwise i would have gone with this olive
oh well, this time next year i'll be ordering more lmao hopefully there's more color options then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Are you still in the Asheville area or did you move?

I also ask this, given I got family in Raleigh & Charlotte