Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I loved the bells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

packetmantis posted:

I loved his books when I was a kid, they're so dark and weird. I even have one of those cool blankets with the text of Sabriel on it in the shape of the bell bandolier.

I do not tend to like IP-branded stuff but that is rad.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

wizzardstaff posted:

I do not tend to like IP-branded stuff but that is rad.

They're called Litographs and they have shirts and posters too. I have spent an inadvisable amount of money on them because I am weak. :negative:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I love Sabriel, I want a Sabriel movie :pray:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

General Battuta posted:

I love Sabriel, I want a Sabriel movie :pray:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gnoman posted:

Because it is about as accurate as saying Harry starts the series by gunning down a bunch of orphans. Bob the skull was never going to rape anybody - he's a spirit of intellect with no physical body whatsoever. The love potion was never intended to be used by or on anybody - Harry made it because Bob wouldn't help him make the potion he actually wanted otherwise, and that was the only purpose. "I will not provide you with love potions" is in Harry's business ad.

If anything, the love potion scene was there to push the "yeah, this traditional magic element is really hosed up" button.

STORM FRONT posted:

Bob eventually came home again, more or less within the twenty-four-hour time limit, I suppose. I turned a deaf ear to rumors of a particularly wild party at the University of Chicago which lasted from Saturday night to Sunday night, and Bob wisely never mentioned it.

I mean you don't have to have a physical body to rape someone if you can just induce people to have sex with magic and watch them. I think that counts as date rape at least.

Also he has a physical form that can interact with the world outside of the skull, because that's the reasoning that Bob gave that Harry had to release him from it for 24 hours - because otherwise Bob couldn't throw a potion to him to save his life. So... yeah.

STORM FRONT" posted:

I went up on my toes, and swallowed, trying to keep my balance and get her hand off me at the same time. "That thing is always saying something stupid," I told her. She was beyond reason. The potion had kicked her libido into suicidal overdrive. "Bob, help me out here!"

"I'm stuck in the skull," Bob said. "If you don't let me out, I can't do much of anything, Harry."

Susan stood up on tiptoe to gnaw at my ear, wrapped her shapely thigh around one of mine, and started whimpering and pulling me toward the floor. My balance wavered. A three-foot circle was not enough to perform wrestling or gymnastics or ... anything else in, without leaving something sticking out for the waiting demon to chew on.

"Is the other potion still there?" I asked.

"Sure," Bob said. "I can see it where it fell on the floor. Could throw it to you, too."

"Okay," I said, growing excited - well. More excited. I might yet get out of this basement alive. "I'm going to let you out for five minutes. I want you to help me by throwing me the potion."

"No, boss," Bob said, his voice maddeningly cheerful.

"No? No?!"

"I get a twenty-four-hour leave, or nothing."

"Dammit, Bob! I'm responsible for what you do if I let you out! You know that!"

Susan whispered, into my ear, "I'm not wearing any underwear," and tried something approximating a pro-wrestling takedown to drop me to the floor. I wavered in balance and barely managed to stave her off. The demon's frog-eyes narrowed, and it came to its feet, ready to leap on us.

"Bob!" I yelled. "You slimy jerk!"

"You try living in a bony old skull for a few hundred years, Harry! You'd want to get a night off once in a while, too!"

"Fine!" I shouted, my heart leaping into my throat as my balance wavered again. "Fine! Just make sure you get me the potion! You have twenty-four hours."

"Just make sure you catch it," Bob replied. And then a flood of orangish light flowed out of both of the skull's eye sockets and into the room. The lights swooped down in an elongated cloud over the potion bottle that lay on the floor at the far side of the lab, gathered it up, and hurled it through the air toward me. I reached up with my spare hand and caught it, bobbled it for a minute, and then secured it again.

The orange lights that were Bob's spirit-form danced a little jig, then whizzed up the ladder and out of the lab, vanishing.

In Fool Moon this is clarified that he had an orgy at a party and he claimed that what he did was 'merely' the equivalent of putting a keg in everyone.

Clark Nova posted:

new thread title?

poo poo.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 21, 2021

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

multijoe posted:

And him actually being presented with a anti-capitalist party leader and immediately turning into an arch centrist sneering about magic grandas and realistic policies. There's a certain breed of 'radical' authors like Morgan who talks a very good talk in their writing but cannot huddle up to the establishment fast enough when push comes to shove

"the guardian" leftist

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nope, not worth it. Read what you like people. Life's too short as it is.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Aug 21, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Unlike the novellas.

I forgot to mention that I re-read Baru 2 and read Baru 3. I definitely enjoyed them more than the first book, which I'm afraid will eternally be "Stephen R Donaldson's Life of Brian" to me. I never saw Baru as being one half as clever as it makes her out to be; her plans only work because she's dealing with people even more naive than her. The sequels reverse that and now Baru is dealing with people both smarter and more ruthless than her, with the anticipated results. Where book 1 was well written enough to make me give book 2 a chance, the middle books are good enough to make me look forward to the last.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The Silver Metal Lover is another pre year 2000 SFF woman author/alternate sexual orientation story that came up (again and again) in the readthrough thing I've been doing. I remember someone in this thread requesting books and stories of this style and era.

If anyone claims there was a drought of fantasy and science-fiction and superhero themed tv & movies before netflix streaming and amazon prime series and the MCU happened, they are dead wrong and ignorantly clueless. Every drat decade since television broadcasts started has had science-fiction and super heroes and fantasy.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I've tried and failed to read New York 2140 twice. I probably should give it another chance, though, because I hear it has an attempt to write a realistic anti-capitalist revolution outside the typical Marxist ideas.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 21, 2021

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

I actually agree. If you like it, read it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/what_eats_owls/status/1307805422821150720?s=21

:discourse:

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XB49BG4/

Starsight (Skyward #2) by Brandon Sanderson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NCQ6RJG/

Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder #1) by Brian McClellan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KT7YTV4/

Unexpected Stories by Octavia E Butler - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K04NWG0/

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I am going to be starting up Dune tonight.

Wish me luck!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Roth posted:

Wish me luck!

It’s good, op.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Roth posted:

Wish me luck!

It has some dumb Great Man Theory stuff, but it's good.

Unfortunate that only one book got written. Definitely no other books by the same author got published and I am absolutely sure that no books got written by the author's son.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The sequels make it pretty clear that the point of the Great Man Theory stuff is that great men are really bad and should be avoided.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I read the Dune books up to God-Emperor and that one was the only one I liked. I feel like there's a whole lot of discussion of lofty concepts but not much actually happens.

e: God that's only four books, it felt way longer than that.

packetmantis fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 21, 2021

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

General Battuta posted:

The sequels make it pretty clear that the point of the Great Man Theory stuff is that great men are really bad and should be avoided.

Well well well. I guess that's what I get for not reading further.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

packetmantis posted:

I read the Dune books up to God-Emperor and that one was the only one I liked. I feel like there's a whole lot of discussion of lofty concepts but not much actually happens.

e: God that's only four books, it felt way longer than that.

Yeah much as I'll stand up for the value of the sequels as, uh, idea havers, I didn't get into them as a kid because they don't really have that same simple urgent central plot to hang the Stuff off of.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you may or may not enjoy the later books but the second one is largely about Paul going "oh god what did i do?"

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

This is sort of a weird thematic association recommendation question but people in here really know their stuff, so here goes. I've tried to spoiler stuff in case you're looking forward to reading something I mention.

I just finished Piranesi and loved it. I don't find the final act 100% satisfying but the worldbuilding and the curious nature of the narrator makes for a super compelling 'mystery'. It actually reminded me a lot of Library at Mount Char, another book I recently read and adored. I can't quite put my finger on it, characters trying to understand their place in a strange world that they think is normal but we, the reader, know is not, the gradual revelation that this weird world we're reading about is actually connected to our own somehow, and the sort of earnest drive of the protagonist to marry all of the fantastic and mundane elements in a way that makes sense. A lot of internal mythology, but the actual magic involved is more limited than your usual wizard fantasies. They also both feature really cool elaborate buildings filled with mysteries.

I'm trying to think what else has this vibe I'm looking for. In Clarke's previous Norrell & Strange, the whole history of magic in our world and the glimpses of the faerie worlds and how they interact in the past and present. In the Magicians series, the parts about the nexus city of fountains that connects to other worlds. Arthur C. Clarke's The City and The Stars maybe? In the sense that it features people realizing that their way of life is not the only way that exists and there are also powers out there they don't understand. Hm, and I thought I had another example but I'm blanking for now, I'll edit it in if I remember.

I've never read any Borges but based on what I've heard I picked up Labyrinths and I think some of his style might scratch this itch. I've also never read Mieville, but it sounds like The City & the City might have similar elements?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

I thought the first book made that point fine by itself, honestly. I mean, the ending has Paul lamenting the fact that his friends are turning into brainwashed cultists, and there is nothing he can do about it. No matter what happens it will be seen as proof of his infallibility, and the crusade will continue.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Ror posted:

This is sort of a weird thematic association recommendation question but people in here really know their stuff, so here goes. I've tried to spoiler stuff in case you're looking forward to reading something I mention.

I just finished Piranesi and loved it. I don't find the final act 100% satisfying but the worldbuilding and the curious nature of the narrator makes for a super compelling 'mystery'. It actually reminded me a lot of Library at Mount Char, another book I recently read and adored. I can't quite put my finger on it, characters trying to understand their place in a strange world that they think is normal but we, the reader, know is not, the gradual revelation that this weird world we're reading about is actually connected to our own somehow, and the sort of earnest drive of the protagonist to marry all of the fantastic and mundane elements in a way that makes sense. A lot of internal mythology, but the actual magic involved is more limited than your usual wizard fantasies. They also both feature really cool elaborate buildings filled with mysteries.

I'm trying to think what else has this vibe I'm looking for. In Clarke's previous Norrell & Strange, the whole history of magic in our world and the glimpses of the faerie worlds and how they interact in the past and present. In the Magicians series, the parts about the nexus city of fountains that connects to other worlds. Arthur C. Clarke's The City and The Stars maybe? In the sense that it features people realizing that their way of life is not the only way that exists and there are also powers out there they don't understand. Hm, and I thought I had another example but I'm blanking for now, I'll edit it in if I remember.

I've never read any Borges but based on what I've heard I picked up Labyrinths and I think some of his style might scratch this itch. I've also never read Mieville, but it sounds like The City & the City might have similar elements?

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell comes to mind. Also the First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 21, 2021

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

quantumfoam posted:

The Silver Metal Lover is another pre year 2000 SFF woman author/alternate sexual orientation story that came up (again and again) in the readthrough thing I've been doing. I remember someone in this thread requesting books and stories of this style and era.

This book is very good, for the record. RIP in peace, Tanith Lee.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I just read A Psalm for the Wild-Built and I loved it. Short, well contained. Enough more to give you plenty of setting for what takes place. It’s Sci-fi but it’s really more of a story about what it is to be alive. Would recommend.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Ror posted:

Seconding Aardvark!'s rec of David Mitchell.
Also throwing out there His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman which is written for younger readers but has a lot of weight to it.
Among Others by Jo Walton, the Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker, Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson.
Will try to think of more.
Edit: Helen Oyeyemi

a friendly penguin fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 22, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Someone requested Marsters do the speech from Taken as Toot-Toot and holy poo poo it's amazing...

https://streamable.com/t/0fald6

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Two books in the Liaden Universe are free, I don't know if this is permanent or a sale:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BSW2FG6 - Agent of Change (first one written, probably the best starting point? I don't know, I'll read it myself and find out)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APAELRI - Fledgling

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Ror posted:

I just finished Piranesi and loved it. [...]

Maybe try some Chris Priest, particularly The Inverted World and The Affirmation.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Someone requested Marsters do the speech from Taken as Toot-Toot and holy poo poo it's amazing...

https://streamable.com/t/0fald6

That's the most awesome thing I've seen all day! Thanks for bringing it to our attention! :golfclap:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 22, 2021

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I know that I've talked poo poo about Jim Butcher's secret idea stash for enemies and new powers and Dresden's MEGA-Damage inside his Dresden Files setting being a stack of RIFTS RPG sourcebooks, however I admit I was wrong.

Jim Butcher's secret idea stash is actually [sarcasm] that previously mentioned stash of RIFTS RPG sourcebooks AND the Jack Wood Chronicles short stories[/sarcasm]

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~

Ror posted:

I just finished Piranesi and loved it. []

Nthing David Mitchell (I think Ghostwritten could scratch this itch a bit too), Calvino also has some similar vibes. Senlin Ascends has the whole regular guy lost in a hostile mysterious building thing going on. Maybe The Starless Sea?

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure by William Goldman - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IEJZRY/

Circe by Madeline Miller - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M5TLLJ/

A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle #1) by Ursula K Le Guin - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008T9L6AM/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How is the Princess Bride book anyway? The movie is so well known I wonder how the book holds up.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Neill Blomkamp was just on Joe Rogan and he mentioned he is collaborating with Peter Watts on a sci Fi story for a movie and I can't think of any more exciting pairing. Blindsight is my favorite sci Fi novel and Blomkamp is an incredible writer and director. Very pumped.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

smackfu posted:

How is the Princess Bride book anyway? The movie is so well known I wonder how the book holds up.

It’s interesting, and not really like the movie. It’s a deliberate send up of old adventure books, but it’s a dry kind of humor.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Yeah, the framing narrative makes it into more of a satire than the earnest swashbuckling adventure that the movie is. Kind of like if you took the Miracle Max scene and applied its tone to the whole story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Along these lines I'm curious what the threads opinion on The Prince of Nothing/The Aspect Emperor series is. I've ran out of stuff to read so I went back to it and am on the last book because I never finished it before.

There are so many hosed up things about this series and I can't imagine what the author is like in real life. I feel bad for liking it but I do. It disgusts me in ways I'm not sure any other series has but drat if it really doesn't make you feel the evil of the whole thing. The writing is incredibly navel gazing in a dime store philosophy way but also has some gems.

In conclusion this series is a land of contrasts..