Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah getting rid of 4chan would be a great benefit to society, but by now the community is so entrenched that if something were to happen to it, a replacement would pop up fast enough. I think reddit deserves a special mention too - while often not as outright horrible as 4chan, it definitely feels more mainstream. I think the average internet user thinks of 4chan as a dark web den of hackers, but reddit is just a normal social media site. So going there is fine! Please just don't look at the subreddits I frequent.

Hell, even top level Reddit has been corrupted by the gross hivemind too. r/politics was delisted from the top navigation bar in 2016 because it was flooded with pro-Trump bots and they couldn't figure out how to fix it so they just hid it from public view, and r/television and r/movies routinely lose their goddamn minds if anything crosses their radar that involves a woman or person of colour saying or doing things that a man would normally do without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Reddit's a great place for them to hide in plain sight. Most people prolly don't even go to the front page, just go to the subreddits about stuff they like, many of which are incredibly tame and fine. So when you say "Reddit is full of nazis" to someone who isn't tuned in, you sound like an insane paranoiac.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Reddit had to be outright bullied into shutting down “creep shot” subreddits, and wanted to play like it was a free speech issue and not a massive breach of privacy. Often of minors.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
For a while before it got so bad that they ended up being called out by Anderson Cooper they had poo poo like r/deadkids for the turbo-sickos who can't get turned on by normal sicko poo poo anymore.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Saw a copy of God's Not Dead in the Family Dollar 1 dollar discount bin today. Felt it was appropriate to mention it

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Reddit's a great place for them to hide in plain sight. Most people prolly don't even go to the front page, just go to the subreddits about stuff they like, many of which are incredibly tame and fine. So when you say "Reddit is full of nazis" to someone who isn't tuned in, you sound like an insane paranoiac.

i wonder how much browser and userpage bookmarks makes people ginorant about major events.

like there's probably still a non 0 amount of goons that dont know of the admin/ownership change. or people irl that dont know of [basic fact].

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Probably, but there were several stickied announcements over that time period

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FFT posted:

Probably, but there were several stickied announcements over that time period

Even several legitimate news articles on major websites where the headline was basically "SOMETHING AWFUL OWNER RICHARD "LOWTAX" KYANKA TURNS SITE OVER TO SOME GUY NAMED JEFFREY AFTER DOMESTIC ABUSE SCANDAL" so it was kinda hard to miss unless you only read and post in like The Film Dump exclusively or something.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Most megathreads/threads large and long enough to have their own culture had a couple pages talking about the allegations and organizing parachute Discords, it would have been rather difficult for even the people who only navigate to threads via bookmarks to avoid hearing about it. Not completely impossible, but vanishingly unlikely.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

PhazonLink posted:

i wonder how much browser and userpage bookmarks makes people ginorant about major events.

like there's probably still a non 0 amount of goons that dont know of the admin/ownership change. or people irl that dont know of [basic fact].

The parable of the cave, except with Coupons

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

CodfishCartographer posted:

I've always been under the impression that Poole himself isn't that hateful or bigoted, compared to the multiple allegations against Lowtax. Which is surprising since 4chan is markedly worse than SA, but I guess there is some argument to be made that the worst of the bigotry came after Poole left, since I think the hate on the site really ramped into overdrive around 2016. I think after gamer gate he may have realized the hate on the site wasn't just edgy teenagers trying to get attention anymore, or at least it wasn't as easy to convince others of that anymore.

Poole had to cooperate with multiple police investigations into death threats and crimes posted on the site, and had to testify at one trial even before gamergate existed. So, that wasn't new, the site had been used to leak the location of bodies.

Ironically the fappening leaks might have been the biggest legal headache for him, as it occurred at the same time GG peaked, and resulted in more people getting arrested.

Still you could delete 4chan, but it's not like the userbase vanishes. There's also a dozen 4chan clones that they can seamlessly transition to. And before there were imageboards there was stormfront, which had been under FBI watch for the past 20 years for being the source of irl hate crimes. Hate.com was a documentary made in the year 2000

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i've read that independently of whether or not moot was hateful, he did certainly copy 2chan's code for 4chan without understanding the japanese context for why they value online anonymity and segregating their online/offline lives so much:

quote:

the vast majority of American participants on 4chan and members of the alt-right aren’t literate in or even acquainted with Japanese culture. When Poole was designing 4chan’s architecture in 2003, he resorted to Babel Fish’s crude translation engine to assist him in understanding what 2channel’s open-source code actually did. Unfamiliar with Japanese language or culture, Poole was unaware that the reason 2channel had created the option of posting anonymously was a direct response to the culturally specific desire of many Japanese to separate their public and private lives.

As the technology journalist Julian Dibbell has written, in Japan, “cultural distinctions between public and private life matter deeply … having two identities isn’t so much a failure of integrity as a working definition of it.”

In a Western milieu, however, anonymity served not as a way to reinforce a normative structure, but as a way to evade it. In a way, blaming Japan for America’s culture of conspiracy theories ironically replicates the reasoning structure of conspiracy theories (overgeneralization and scapegoating the powerful). Though they operate in hermetically separate cultural and linguistic spheres, Japan and America share similar economic circumstances and media cultures that in turn generate similar online behavior.

https://www.noemamag.com/toxic-internet-culture-from-east-to-west/ full article here

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
yeah, ok

https://twitter.com/SarcasmSophie/status/1428813941162061828

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
E: Oops

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Youtube keeps recommending me this video about nazi uniforms and why they looked so cool. It could be going over the same interesting poo poo as the recently-linked Cessna posts, but the channel is called "real men real style" so I am loathe to check lest even more Prager U and Benny Shaps be summoned when I want to watch supercuts of Emperor Palpatine cackling or whatever.

If Hitler had algorithms the nazi moon base would be real.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Organized is the key word. Almost nobody there had any idea what they were doing and were probably hoping for instructions on how to stop the steal but they never came.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Republicans posted:

Organized is the key word. Almost nobody there had any idea what they were doing and were probably hoping for instructions on how to stop the steal but they never came.

are you loving joking, you wouldn't describe the insurrection which we all knew was going to happen on that day because it publicly and widely broadcast itself all over the internet and resulted in thousands of clueless but violent motherfuckers being allowed to just gently caress around all day by obvious pig co-operation as being organized in any way, just because CHUDs are stupid and didn't have a follow-through?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

there was loving merch

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

LonsomeSon posted:

there was loving merch
Federal law inforcement is notoriously loving terrible at understanding or responding to organizations with decentralized leadership. There's no evidence that there was someone directing the mob, which means there's no one to squarely pin blame on.

This is also why chuds don't understand why the FBI doesn't simply arrest the leader of antifa.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

are you loving joking, you wouldn't describe the insurrection which we all knew was going to happen on that day because it publicly and widely broadcast itself all over the internet and resulted in thousands of clueless but violent motherfuckers being allowed to just gently caress around all day by obvious pig co-operation as being organized in any way, just because CHUDs are stupid and didn't have a follow-through?

Dude's name is "Republicans" so the post is on brand.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That was kinda their problem. They spent more time on designing merch than they did figuring out how to stop the steal.

Did they organize yeah, was what they organized a remotely realistic plan to overthrow the government, no. It was really more just magical thinking, they thought they'd show up and Mike Pence and Nancy Pelosi would go "oh geez they found out, the jig is up, we did it we're guilty we're sorry, all hail President Trump" or the military would show up to arrest Joe Biden and pin medals on all the yokels milling around the lobby.

The FBI still should have stopped it of course but since they mostly agree with the rioters' reactionary opinions they were never going to do that, but I guess the Democrats are fine with a secret police that doesn't even bother to protect their government so whatever

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Federal law inforcement is notoriously loving terrible at understanding or responding to organizations with decentralized leadership. There's no evidence that there was someone directing the mob, which means there's no one to squarely pin blame on.

This is also why chuds don't understand why the FBI doesn't simply arrest the leader of antifa.

except the FBI and fed is fine with black bagging non white people and other BLM like orgs.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
https://twitter.com/997wtn/status/1429190686222557184

Another one bites the dust

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1429196424084926472?s=21

Rest in piss

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hosed around and found out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

quote:

CNN reported that he had compared vaccination status badges worn by medical workers with the yellow badges German Jews were forced to wear by the Nazis.

On July 11, 2021, Valentine acknowledged he had COVID-19 and bragged about how it wasn't going to be a problem, claiming he might have to take a day off from it.

lmfao

I used to feel bad when I felt schadenfreude but like... My grandma was a french jew who spent ages 6-9 in a camp. She died of covid. Because of these fuckers. Die again and I hope it hurt.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

LonsomeSon posted:

The reason they just hosed around is because they had no real plan. They broke in with no organization, advanced on the house and Senate in disorganized mobs and hosed around at choke points and finally broke in as the security teams fell back. Then with none of their targets around they hosed around, dicked off, made asses of themselves, and were finally pushed out after they started to loot and poo poo on the floors. It doesn't make them any less dangerous, and yes there were small groups organized enough to keep together after the break in to swarm in empty rooms, but this was more like herding cats organization than it was people with a purpose

Froghammer posted:

Oh, there was a leader directing it. Problem was he was nearly untouchable and arresting the fat slob would look bad/set precedent

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 22, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SocketWrench posted:

It doesn't make them any less dangerous,

It absolutely does though: dicking around instead of actually doing anything is what makes them but dangerous.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

The reason they just hosed around is because they had no real plan. They broke in with no organization, advanced on the house and Senate in disorganized mobs and hosed around at choke points and finally broke in as the security teams fell back. Then with none of their targets around they hosed around, dicked off, made asses of themselves, and were finally pushed out after they started to loot and poo poo on the floors. It doesn't make them any less dangerous, and yes there were small groups organized enough to keep together after the break in to swarm in empty rooms, but this was more like herding cats organization than it was people with a purpose

I’ve read your mealy-mouthed equivocation and continue to absolutely reject it as the abject bullshit it is, please go ahead and stop trying to minimize the danger of armed, stupid, and angry people who don’t have a follow through.

This is real loving life, poo poo like J6 continuing to develop going forward is going to cost more lives and trying to externalize your internal insipid self-reassurance is flagrantly crude and condescending

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Like, “bunch of angry and armed dumbasses” is THE key starting ingredient for so loving many race riots in the English-speaking world.

It is life-shatteringly dangerous regardless of their follow-through, to racial minorities, or trans people, or people easily mistaken for us.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

LonsomeSon posted:

I’ve read your mealy-mouthed equivocation and continue to absolutely reject it as the abject bullshit it is, please go ahead and stop trying to minimize the danger of armed, stupid, and angry people who don’t have a follow through.

This is real loving life, poo poo like J6 continuing to develop going forward is going to cost more lives and trying to externalize your internal insipid self-reassurance is flagrantly crude and condescending

It's only going to happen one more time, I suspect. Either Trump wins in 2024 or they do another rebellion, and this time get it right since they didn't even get a slap on the wrist like Hitler did after the Beer Hall Putsch.
We had our chance to respond to the January 9th Insurrection as the existential threat to the Republic that it was, and we chose not to. We will not get a second chance.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not necessarily predicting the second insurrection that will occur should Trump lose in 2024 will succeed, but I do expect it will be far more organized and violent and will probably succeed in killing some congresscritters. It won't succeed in installing Trump as president, but it will probably succeed in turning the Cold Civil War hot.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's only going to happen one more time, I suspect. Either Trump wins in 2024 or they do another rebellion, and this time get it right since they didn't even get a slap on the wrist like Hitler did after the Beer Hall Putsch.
We had our chance to respond to the January 9th Insurrection as the existential threat to the Republic that it was, and we chose not to. We will not get a second chance.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not necessarily predicting the second insurrection that will occur should Trump lose in 2024 will succeed, but I do expect it will be far more organized and violent and will probably succeed in killing some congresscritters. It won't succeed in installing Trump as president, but it will probably succeed in turning the Cold Civil War hot.

I would like for you, personally, to log off and go seek out for yourself the fate which these people want to inflict on myself and my children.

Regardless, my posts were an attempt to impress on you how profoundly dickish your need to keep ‘splaining on this topic is, n o t an invitation for you to continue to be, once again, flagrantly condescending.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Trazz posted:

Another one bites the dust

Good news for Rush Limbaugh. He's got a friend in hell now to burn with.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

LonsomeSon posted:

I’ve read your mealy-mouthed equivocation and continue to absolutely reject it as the abject bullshit it is

Ah, I see you're a dick. Cool, cool.

quote:

, please go ahead and stop trying to minimize the danger of armed, stupid, and angry people who don’t have a follow through.
Wasn't trying to "minimize the danger", just stating why it wasn't organized. I even said as much in the post I made that it didn't make them any less dangerous. Maybe you should try reading instead of being a dick?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

Ah, I see you're a dick. Cool, cool.

Wasn't trying to "minimize the danger", just stating why it wasn't organized. I even said as much in the post I made that it didn't make them any less dangerous. Maybe you should try reading instead of being a dick?

S T O P being a motherfucker merely because your foolishness isn’t being accepted and validated by people who know better.
you can, literally, Just Not Be A Motherfucker directly to marginalized people telling you, specifically, that you’re being a oval office and you should stop

You’re not going to argue someone whom you’ve intentionally, willingly, and repeatedly condescended to into not being, correctly, furious at you for treating them like poo poo you absolutely loving square dildo

If you think your behavior has been Just Fine, you need to grow as a person enough to accept correction when you tell on yourself publicly, WITHOUT whining or defensiveness

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 22, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Like, if you’re insisting that there’s never going to be the conditions for a race riot or a gay-bashing EVER AGAIN in the US, because the J6 poo poo locked follow-through, you are absolutely being a god drat bigot and I won’t ever allow it to stand

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

quote:

“We are in the main dome right now,” said a female militia member, speaking on Zello, her voice competing with the cacophony of a clash with Capitol police. “We are rocking it. They’re throwing grenades, they’re frickin’ shooting people with paintballs, but we’re in here.”

“God bless and godspeed. Keep going,” said a male voice from a quiet environment.

“Jess, do your poo poo,” said another. “This is what we loving lived up for. Everything we loving trained for.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/13/zello-app-us-capitol-attack-far-right

Multiple groups used the Zello app to plan and coordinate the riot, along with Facebook and other messaging platforms. I have no idea how that doesn't qualify as organized, lol.

Oh and:

quote:

"We are all staying in DC near the Capitol we are at the Hilton garden inn but I think it's full," he wrote. "Dc is no guns. So mace and gas masks, some batons. If you have armor that's good. During the day it's kind of boring but when it starts getting dark Game on."
https://www.npr.org/2021/03/24/980754255/new-evidence-points-to-coordination-among-extremist-groups-ahead-of-capitol-riot

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Please take it to PMs.

Edit: not you Less Fat Luke.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

GutBomb posted:

Please take it to PMs.

Edit: not you Less Fat Luke.

Nah, we confront public bigotry IN PUBLIC and defeat it IN PUBLIC.

And, it’s deeply hosed to demand that others be silent about it for your comfort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You're slapfighting on the internet because someone's anti-chud take is slightly different from yours, not confronting bigotry