Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm just glad The Bucks and others convinced Tony not to call it "WBW- World's Best Wrestling". Because that is not a good name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’d have to be “there’s a brand new national promotion that is competitive, doing great business, and one of the main forces behind it is the guy who’s now jumping around in silver makeup”

bartok
May 10, 2006

Davros1 posted:

I'm just glad The Bucks and others convinced Tony not to call it "WBW- World's Best Wrestling". Because that is not a good name.

I like how it would sound like the crowd is chanting B Dubs and that makes me hungry for their mango habanero wings

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Davros1 posted:

Yeah that's a bullet dodged.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Jericho in particular always had this way of skimming through "WWE" in promos so it sounded like "Dubyudubyee". I imagine the shorthand for WBW in promos would be something like "Dubeedubyu". It just sounds worse no matter how fast you try to say it.

As much poo poo as Impact gets, I enjoy the more recent trend in the past 10 years or so of single-word branding instead of acronyms. Stardom, Shine, Defy, etc. all have the right idea. AEW easily could've just been called Elite Wrestling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

Jericho in particular always had this way of skimming through "WWE" in promos so it sounded like "Dubyudubyee". I imagine the shorthand for WBW in promos would be something like "Dubeedubyu". It just sounds worse no matter how fast you try to say it.

As much poo poo as Impact gets, I enjoy the more recent trend in the past 10 years or so of single-word branding instead of acronyms. Stardom, Shine, Defy, etc. all have the right idea. AEW easily could've just been called Elite Wrestling.

I'm glad they didn't because there is already an ELITE and someday they will return in glorious fashion.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lid posted:

NJPW is in a steep steep steep decline despite having the same booker. TNA is more respected than RoH.

Honestly, "Gedo got burnt out" is kind of the least surprising thing. When a booker hits the wall, they hit the loving wall and saying it takes like 4+ years for Gedo to lose his touch and outside factors to play into New Japan getting a bad look seems reasonable to me.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

elite world wrestling federation

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Davros1 posted:

I said it before, and I'll say it again: If HHH hadn't been out with his quad injury, no way would Jericho have been the first Unified Champ over him.

Yuuuuup.

Promo poster for 2001 Vengeance (where the unification happened):

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nick Jr. Face posted:

AEW is going to debut a wrestler called The Accountant

I already predicted this in greater detail. It'll be Bray Wyatt taking up the family gimmick and he's going to start by feuding with Matt Hardy and auditing the HFO's books.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
Windham Rotunda: The Auditor

edit: That does seem a heel gimmick the son of a billionaire would come up with.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CommonShore posted:

I already predicted this in greater detail. It'll be Bray Wyatt taking up the family gimmick and he's going to start by feuding with Matt Hardy and auditing the HFO's books.

Also time to find a partner and be the New New Blackjacks.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
A friend of mine is a wrestling accountant.
By which I mean he's an accountant for his day job and wrestles in a local Indy as a hobby.
Doesn't make it part of his gimmick, though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Didn't NOVA Pro have a guy named CPA whose gimmick was wrestling accountant

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do regret we never got the promised run of Rotunda and Ray Trayler as CPA, the Certified Public Assassins.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't NOVA Pro have a guy named CPA whose gimmick was wrestling accountant

CPA has eventually dropped the CPA gimmick (he also worked AIW)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You know what? I&m excited to see what AEW will do with Bray. I stopped watching WWE right after WM 30 so I didn't see the Wyatt family go downhill.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Dark Order was already what Swamp Cult Wyatt Family should've been: Come in with cryptic threats, gradually recruit jobbers until the stable is huge, run through the midcard and give the leader a title run.

So I'm not sure what they do with Bray now that his could've-been angle has already been done. I hope it's very different from what anyone expects. People are going to expect Fiend stuff, but TK hates doing the supernatural stuff. I can understand the temptation to put him with DO because Brodie was a very close friend of his, but I wouldn't want to see him corrupt them - I'd want him to give them the ambition and direction that they don't currently have, and that Page as a character isn't capable of giving them. There's kind of a schism in the group and he'd be an ideal guy to bring them back together and be a real threat again without necessarily turning them all back to heels.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Ok, so we know WWE has writers and they like to plan thier matches out beforehand. How does this work at AEW? I'm guessing a collaborative process between Tony Khan and whoever is wrestling?

Basically, there seems to be lots of red tape or steps WWE wrestlers have to go through before what they want to do is approved. How does this process work in AEW?

Just how much power does a booker have?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Ok, so we know WWE has writers and they like to plan thier matches out beforehand. How does this work at AEW? I'm guessing a collaborative process between Tony Khan and whoever is wrestling?

Basically, there seems to be lots of red tape or steps WWE wrestlers have to go through before what they want to do is approved. How does this process work in AEW?

Just how much power does a booker have?

I think it's Tony and the EVP's, and then individuals probably pitch stuff for themselves as we've heard here and there (I think Jericho picked the IC himself)

bartok
May 10, 2006

Nick Jr. Face posted:

AEW is going to debut a wrestler called The Accountant

Every movie that has played before AEW Dynamite or Rampage more than 5 times should become a gimmick. A wrestler with an Equalizer or a Kong: Skull Island gimmick could be sick but God forbid the poor bastard that gets stuck with Ready Player One.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I do think that with more shows and a bigger roster, AEW will need an actual writing staff before long. It's too much for one person to do everything, even with the EVPs involved.

But, you know, employ experienced serial drama TV & screenwriters instead of soap opera and reality show writers.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I do think that with more shows and a bigger roster, AEW will need an actual writing staff before long. It's too much for one person to do everything, even with the EVPs involved.

But, you know, employ experienced serial drama TV & screenwriters instead of soap opera and reality show writers.

Unless they plan on doing heavy scripting it's not really a job that needs writers. The most complicated part of the job is the Dark and Elevation matches (who are we showcasing, who can we get to job, how will this effect rankings) and that really just needs a spreadsheet. The major plot stuff on Dynamite and Rampage just need a couple bullet points and everyone to be on the same page with the overall story. Everything else the workers themselves should be able to handle.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

sticklefifer posted:

Soap operas are literally the apex of serial drama. 5 days a week 365 a year.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a small booking team working with wrestlers to figure things out is as far as you ever need to go for the macro and then you have agents for fine details

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

lmao no. road agents exist for a reason.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Cavauro posted:

a small booking team working with wrestlers to figure things out is as far as you ever need to go for the macro and then you have agents for fine details
Yeah this. There's no need for too many cooks in the kitchen.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah. Also, you really don't want everything to be 100% perfect.

In my mind, the best stuff comes from people (who are good at it) trying to course correct something that veered off-track.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
I think what we’re describing here in terms of writing/booking etc is a lot of what QT Marshall’s job actually is

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

karmicknight posted:

CPA has eventually dropped the CPA gimmick (he also worked AIW)

He went back to it as of like 3ish months ago (probably longer?)

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Were there other wrestling wizards? Any that wrestled maybe a little wizardly/cerebrally? Like when I think of a wrestling wizard I think of maybe The Genius with less gay panic and maybe some Phantasio-style gimmicks.

Old school Kevin Sulivan played up the dark warlock aspect so strongly that he verged into wizard territory on occasion.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

God they really did a Space Jam 2 to him. Wow.

Were there other wrestling wizards? Any that wrestled maybe a little wizardly/cerebrally? Like when I think of a wrestling wizard I think of maybe The Genius with less gay panic and maybe some Phantasio-style gimmicks.

Ric Flair showed some magical acumen when he was loving with Sting.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Would Papa Shango count as a wizard gimmick?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Duke Pukem posted:

Would Papa Shango count as a wizard gimmick?

Yes. Though more accurately Cleric or Possibly Shaman.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Undertaker is a wizard.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Simultaneously debut a swamp preacher / Oxy Jesus character called Bray and have Matt Hardy hire a new CFO for the HFO, Windham Rotunda. Keep them separated and don't have the storylines cross at all for a minimum of six months.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Simultaneously debut a swamp preacher / Oxy Jesus character called Bray and have Matt Hardy hire a new CFO for the HFO, Windham Rotunda. Keep them separated and don't have the storylines cross at all for a minimum of six months.

You're hired

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Kennel posted:

Undertaker is a wizard.

Kane is an Evocation Wizard.

Undertaker would probably be closer to a College of Spirits Bard or Death Domain Cleric.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Would anyone be able to go more in depth on the NJPW downturn? I haven't followed them closely but I'm curious as to what happened. Were there any big booking mistakes or is it just general malaise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

HMS Beagle posted:

Would anyone be able to go more in depth on the NJPW downturn? I haven't followed them closely but I'm curious as to what happened. Were there any big booking mistakes or is it just general malaise?

I think most people will generally agree it started with the EVIL heel turn, but even that probably doesn't hurt as much if not for the double title angle. Basically at WK14 Tetsuya Naito won the Intercontinental Title from Jay White on Night 1 of Wrestle Kingdom, and then went on to win the Heavyweight Title from Kazuchika Okada the next night, fulfilling a very long, 4 year arc for his character. He had a defense against KENTA, where he retained, and then the pandemic happened and things kinda shut down. When NJPW returned, they ran the New Japan Cup out of empty venues and EVIL, one of the faction-mates of Naito, won his way through the tournament by basically just stomping everyone in the balls (this part ruled). Then he turned on Naito, and won both titles, which kind of immediately killed the prestige of that distinction, because he had a lovely nothing reign where he defended against an (incredibly popular) junior wrestler in his former faction and then just dropped the belts right back to Naito a month later. In so doing, they killed the prestige of holding the two titles at once, turned a generally fun to watch hoss wrestler into one who does the absolute shittiest interference spots, and brought in a heater who is perfectly capable of having banger matches but instead just helps with those lovely interference spots. The G1 was a bright spot with Kota Ibushi becoming a consecutive G1 winner (which is a rare accomplishment), but then he lost the briefcase that gives him the right to challenge for the title (or, titles, since Naito still held both HW and IC titles) to Jay White and then kinda just.. got the right to challenge for the titles anyway because Naito said he could, and Ibushi won, and then beat Jay White, so that was good, but his character got absolutely killed because they decided to saddle a very unpopular decision onto him - unifying both the HW and IC titles into one title that was not well received at all. And then he lost it in his second defense to Will Ospreay, who is not very popular around here. Ospreay later has to vacate the title because he had a hosed neck.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 23, 2021