Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The AT field was the only bit of the mechanism that actually mattered in a fight after all.

Shin unit 2 was basically a mecha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

EoE done. We're into 1.11 now and I can't unsee Misato's shopping cart wheel earrings.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The action in the Rebuilds has its moments but is mostly inferior to the originals. The ugly CG will never stop being being a distraction, but there's definitely a lack of weight and mass to the Rebuilds.

The Ramiel, Sahaquiel, and Zeruel fights are pretty tight though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So in the Rebuild continuity was Asuka always a clone or did this happen at some point during the timeskip?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Augus posted:

So in the Rebuild continuity was Asuka always a clone or did this happen at some point during the timeskip?

Always.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Augus posted:

Is the implication that TV Eva and EoE both happened, and Asuka Langley Soryu was a natural human in those. But Gendou and Fuyutsuki became aware of the cyclical nature of time and space and were able to reboot the universe into the Rebuild timeline, where they created a clone Asuka that could be manipulated akin to Rei? And that's why Kaworu has been trapped in a groundhog's day on the moon, and Gendou had however many spears he had? Like Gendou was just doing a New Game+ every time and was able to carry over a stash of mystical Spears?

I'm sure you could do basic arithmetic on Gendou's number of spears to figure out how many timelines there have been so far, but I really don't care to do that myself. Time is certainly described as cyclical but the exact mechanics, along with what events did or did not occur in the canon, is kind of shaky to me.

I actually like the way the gnostic stuff just devolves into complete nonsense by the end of the last movie. I think it helps convey the idea that Gendou is a crazy person who lives inside his head to be able to keep track of all of this convoluted bullshit. Like instead of caring about his son, he's doom spiraling in a dark room thinking "yes, if this reading of the Dead Sea Scrolls Apocyrpha is correct, then the Doors of Guf will open when the Lance of Longinus and the Lance of Cassius pierce a body that longs for Infinity. But if I transform the Black Moon into the form of a chalice, perhaps I could get two Lances of Longinus and instead of opening the Doors of Guf, I could bypass the Imaginary Space directly to the Golgotha Object, but first I would need Kaworu to raise his Sync Ratio.... I'm going to need more clones.

OR, Gendou, you rear end in a top hat, you could hug your son and take him out to Applebees, you dipshit.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Ethiser posted:

There’s something specifically about the people working at NERV that I find funny. Like in the break room you’ve got mechanics, electricians, office people and the people who tend to the weird flesh gardens in the basement where they grow replacement Eva parts.

I really want one of those Nerv bicycles that employees ride through the hallways because of how massive the complex is.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Augus posted:

Yeah like people said it was always the case in this continuity. The change from her original last name to Shikinami - a battleship reference like Rei *Ayanami* - was clearly always intended to hint at her new nature as a mass-produced person.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Randalor posted:

How much of an Eva actually needs to be an Eva anyways? Unit 5 was shown to work with those weird wheeled pseudo-spider legs, and Unit 8's only problem with the weird arm wing things just fine (Mari's complaints aside).

I assume the Mark 4 disc things from 3.33 is basically an Eva that's been pared down to just a core and a miniaturised extremely basic dummy system.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Cephas posted:

Is the implication that TV Eva and EoE both happened, and Asuka Langley Soryu was a natural human in those. But Gendou and Fuyutsuki became aware of the cyclical nature of time and space and were able to reboot the universe into the Rebuild timeline, where they created a clone Asuka that could be manipulated akin to Rei?

I don't think there is any reason to conclude that Gendou and Fuyutsuki controlled the cycle, though maybe they were aware of it during the Rebuild instance.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Lord Krangdar posted:

I don't think there is any reason to conclude that Gendou and Fuyutsuki controlled the cycle, though maybe they were aware of it during the Rebuild instance.

Gendo is aware of Shiji's choice in EoE, but that's likely because they already entered the Golgatha Object and he can see the timelines now.

Yui's prototype plug suit with all the sketchy glowing angel tech was pretty chic too. I'd buy the action figure. Its obviously why she disappeared though look how dangerous everything looked. No poo poo they occassionally gently caress up and kill a billion people.

Like, why are you even playing with this poo poo at all, go home Gendo you're drunk.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah like people said it was always the case in this continuity. The change from her original last name to Shikinami - a battleship reference like Rei *Ayanami* - was clearly always intended to hint at her new nature as a mass-produced person.
I feel that rather than the EVAs being experimental forms (from the glitchy Unit 0 to the creepy-asd soulless MPMs) it was the kids-- Mari being the first to be transformed by exposure to Eva but recovered unlike Yui, Ayanami's Original Batch being an endless sea of clones with partial souls as a kind of NATURE experiment, Shikinami being a process of elimination NURTURE model.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I've just watched Thrice Upon a time, and it's making me think big feeling thoughts. Whats the best page to jump to in the discussion so I can read along with other peoples experiences?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Looks like page 333 is when it went up on amazon and most people started reporting back

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Gendo getting his head bitten off instead of going into the Instrumentality Train for the big moral of the day like everyone else at the end of EoE makes me realize he had other things happening that people aren't talking much about yet.

Shinji got a personal Instrumentality experience in EoE via unit 01, and I think Gendo did as well. I don't think Gendo died there. What if Yui, imbued with the new powers, wasn't killing him off in EoE, but signalling via Hell Robot Language that he had lost everything including his moral and literal soul, and sent him off to the next loop to try and do it the right way since she still believed he could do the right thing by her and Shinji. Perhaps 'Rebuild' the world as a whole family on the next loop instead of all the sorrow that happened in EoE, even with the happy-esque ending?

Heads represent the soul in many schools of thought. If you look at how Gendo's entrance into Instrumentality compared to everyone else's in EoE, its the obvious culmination of Gendo's moral decline to finally "losing" his soul/head to Unit 01. Heads and the lack of them are the Rebuild Universe's version of the Divine Proportion. Tons of head related imagery is peppered everywhere from how he suddenly stores the heads of his dead Rei hordes, the sea of heads by/(from?) Lilliths corpse at the NERV ruins, the totally random giant Yui head where it looks like the headless Eva hordes were trying to carry the head to the top of command tower in some crazed adoration ritual, the way important people's heads keep exploding, Gendo taking a head shot and removing part of his head to show his true form, all of his plans suddenly involving putting everyone's heads on Eva/Rei bodies, which makes it obvious he has a 'thing' here. Much like how people here say the Divine Proportion points to the Creator, in Rebuild head-imagery is a coded sign throughout the world from Yui/GNR telling Gendo to mind his own head/soul before he loses it again. The actual drive he feels is "really" to recover his soul; that head that got bitten off in EoE so to speak. His Nebuchadnezzar power up, and Ritsuko's gun, even removes some of his head to show that he's in the process of losing his soul again. And when Imaginary Eva shows up, Giant Yui has a very stern and disappointed look, which makes perfect sense considering he missed the message and its a bit unsettling from that perspective. Debts are definitely unpaid and this is not a friendly visit. She loving knows. In the end, it is a family affair just like Yui arranged and Yui and Shinji can almost be proud of Gendo's decision at the end.

Essentially, Shinji listening to Kaworu, his Adam guide, leads to a timeline of perpetual Angel presence and warfare. Gendo listening to Yui, his Lillith guide, leads to a timeline of perpetual Lilim presence. Probably lots of war too.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 21, 2021

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I noticed the dub for 4.0 referred to Asuka as Asuka Shikinami Langley, the previous ones having used Asuka Langley Shikinami. I'm not sure why the change.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Anno having the battleships make the Ultra Signs of the Ultra Brothers while arranging them in the exact same way they got crucified in Ultraman Ace on Planet Golgotha is the funniest poo poo.

Of course the Golgotha Object shows up right after.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

super-redguy posted:

Anno having the battleships make the Ultra Signs of the Ultra Brothers while arranging them in the exact same way they got crucified in Ultraman Ace on Planet Golgotha is the funniest poo poo.

Of course the Golgotha Object shows up right after.

Wait is that second spoiler an ultraman thing!?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Wait is that second spoiler an ultraman thing!?

It’s the name of the hill Jesus was crucified on.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Ethiser posted:

It’s the name of the hill Jesus was crucified on.

The Ultra Bros were also crucified on Planet Golgotha.

Tsuburaya was big on Christianity.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Randalor posted:

How much of an Eva actually needs to be an Eva anyways? Unit 5 was shown to work with those weird wheeled pseudo-spider legs, and Unit 8's only problem with the weird arm wing things just fine (Mari's complaints aside).

There's a shot later in 3.0+1.0 that shows how much of Unit 02 is actually left inside it's new body - and it's not much.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

super-redguy posted:

The Ultra Bros were also crucified on Planet Golgotha.

Tsuburaya was big on Christianity.

lmfao amazing

E:

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1429269937382690818

YESSS

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seemlar posted:

There's a shot later in 3.0+1.0 that shows how much of Unit 02 is actually left inside it's new body - and it's not much.

Yeah, Unit-02 was basically just a brain hooked up to a car battery by the time the Rebuilds were over.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Please keep the Christianity stuff behind spoilers, I'm only halfway through The Book of Mark

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seemlar posted:

When is that?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

Huh? Pretty much all the woman are named after WWII ships, including the Langley and the Souryuu which are respectively English and Japanese carriers (and Asuka's mother is named after a German carrier). Katsuragi, Akagi, Illustrious, Shikinami, Maya, Nagara, Kitanami and who knows who else

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

MikeJF posted:

When is that?

When Asuka frees the 9th Angel, it's shown spreading through 02, shown in this shot

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno why the 9th angel would specifically only use unit 2 and not the replacement parts since the angel itself doesn't have any particular connection to it. still, it looked cool as hell which is what really matters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i dunno why the 9th angel would specifically only use unit 2 and not the replacement parts since the angel itself doesn't have any particular connection to it. still, it looked cool as hell which is what really matters.

Well, the angel is possessing Asuka. From there being 2 remaining Shinkinamis, it's pretty reasonable to assume that the OS for unit 02 is the other, connecting the two on a spiritual level, like how Rei II gets memories from Lookalike.

The Jet Alone parts don't have that connection.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

raverrn posted:

Anno's Godzilla is basically this.

Just watched this and it definitely scratches the itch if you're looking for the bureaucracy and logistics of monster disasters. The climax wasn't as intense as I was expecting but overall it was a fun movie to watch after the rebuilds.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, the angel is possessing Asuka. From there being 2 remaining Shinkinamis, it's pretty reasonable to assume that the OS for unit 02 is the other, connecting the two on a spiritual level, like how Rei II gets memories from Lookalike.

The Jet Alone parts don't have that connection.

i think it is more likely that unit 2 is soryu, the original. i base this solely on how ridiculously tough and tenacious rebuild unit 2 is. that thing just won't friggin' die!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

trucutru posted:

Huh? Pretty much all the woman are named after WWII ships, including the Langley and the Souryuu which are respectively English and Japanese carriers (and Asuka's mother is named after a German carrier). Katsuragi, Akagi, Illustrious, Shikinami, Maya, Nagara, Kitanami and who knows who else
The specific link is that the Shikinami was an Ayanami-class destroyer.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think it is more likely that unit 2 is soryu, the original. i base this solely on how ridiculously tough and tenacious rebuild unit 2 is. that thing just won't friggin' die!

I was thinking the same thing

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I watched the rebuild movies with only a vague knowledge of EoE and the TV series and i enjoyed it somewhat, though I think it started to make less sense as it went on. I imagine there's a lot of them that run over my head because I didn't watch the TV series.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Forgive me if this has been talked about and I missed it, but do we have any consensus on what to make of Kaowru saying that Kaji saved him? I don't recall them ever having a meaningful interaction before, so I was surprised to see them linked in the end of Thrice Upon A Time. The closest I can think of is that Kaji was apparently the one to impale the Mark 6 when it got possessed and attempted to kick off another Third Impact, but Kaowru mentions in 3.0 that the Mark 6 had by then been modified to operate independently so presumably Kaowru wasn't in there, right?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

they were doing stuff together during the timeskip between 2 and 3

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Paper Lion posted:

they were doing stuff together during the timeskip between 2 and 3

elaborate?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It appears Kaworu was running NERV and Kaji was his second in command for some time between 2 and 3 and we can assume some stuff went down during that time.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Evangelion having been my first anime I actually cared to watch (well, devoured) in fairly impressionable age, I can't actually believe people trying to analyze whatever Anno's intentions or whatever he's hinting or whatever thematics you can draw from xyz in extremely long posts. Sure I can see the mental health depictions in the series in general. I guess I'm not enough of a megafan to give a poo poo. I guess seeing old characters having aged and Shinji being whatever young could be seen as some sort of metaphor for some of the viewers not aging or advancing in their life or some other obvious poo poo. I'm not implying people going to the deep end analyzing the series haven't done so, though.

The latest two films, while somewhat entertaining, felt like Anno huffing his own farts. All the power to him or whatever team/studio to do what they want with the resources they get, I won't fault them for it. I was under the impression Anno didn't want to make more Evangelion at some point, but I couldn't find any references to it. I know the original series had problematic production and I was under the impression the entire stabbing Evangelion away from existence and non-coloured part of the film were very self-referential. The original series, despite its problematic parts, is the only legitimately interesting part of the franchise in my opinion. I guess the Rebuild gave decent nostalgia trips/"remastered" versions of old scenes. I barely remember anything about the older films however.

I didn't really expect anything of the film because where do you go from the previous film. It just feels none of the charm was there in the latest two films and poo poo was essentially just DBZ power level bullshit with NGE coating. I don't doubt that you can deeply analyze million different things in the films and series but I honestly just don't care about that. The original series had some actual grounding and interesting moments whereas I struggle to care about anything happening in the two latest Rebuild films. Talking of grounded I guess the village part of the film was kinda nice, even if I struggled to care about it even fraction as much as I did about any slice of life moments in the original series.

But honestly in the sea of unbelievable horseshit I'm just so mad about the bullshit flying retrofitted battleships that make absolutely no sense and Google isn't helping me.

I'm just hopeful there are no future films I need to care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the battleship drones are the best part of wunder, actually.