Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nemo2342 posted:

Those are precisely the 3 channels I've been watching while working from home, though there does tend to be a fair amount of overlap due to there being so few cookbooks from those times.

I can suspend a little disbelief, but if the focus of the work is on how they changed the world through food I'm expecting them to know at least a little about what they're talking about.

That's why I like this one isekai whose name currently escapes me. The MC isn't changing the world through food but she is introducing new cooking methods and ingredients because the ingredients in question didn't exist until recently so they're actually new to the people and they don't know how to use them yet.

Edit: It's I Opened a Café in Another World

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Argas posted:

After Castle-nim, the flying buttress warcrime is my most hated recurring structure in manhwa.

Tower-on-a-stick is up there for me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

That's why I like this one isekai whose name currently escapes me. The MC isn't changing the world through food but she is introducing new cooking methods and ingredients because the ingredients in question didn't exist until recently so they're actually new to the people and they don't know how to use them yet.

the funniest one was definitely when a professional chef had a big jug of soy sauce and couldn't figure out what it was for until the standard basic japanese cooking isekai guy showed him.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

A lot of folks have a deep misunderstanding about cooking in the past because, well, recipe books from those times tend to be fairly limited and focused on big deal stuff you don’t normally see.

Mostly because you don’t need a recipe book for the stuff you make every day, and may not have been literate anyway.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

In the Land of Leadale is nice.

Kind of feel bad for the main character's NPC kids that became real people because she is not handling it well.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
To be fair, they don't handle her return the best either, outside of the Carpenter. :v:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Onean posted:

To be fair, they don't handle her return the best either, outside of the Carpenter. :v:

I only got through the first LN so far, but her kids are a mess outside of the Carpenter.

Kwyndig posted:

That was one of the few food isekais I let slide, because she was largely focused on introducing deserts instead of japanese food like everyone else loves to do.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've finally gotten around to reading 10th life reward mode, and it is an absolute delight.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'll accept cooking innovations if they lean into it being a fantasy world and for the last few decades they found other uses for stuff and then just didn't think to use it for cooking. Like, soy sauce, horseradish, (fantasy stuff) powdered needlegrass, and scorpion shells have been how we made a better mortar than we started out with, who would put that in their mouth?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I like the one where it's a lady making use of "failed" potions. These are things that drop off monsters! Some of them heal you when you drink them, but then these other ones don't, and also drinking them straight tastes lovely. So no one ever decides to try cooking with them because as far as anyone can tell, they're just potions that don't do poo poo.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Lord Awkward posted:

Tower-on-a-stick is up there for me.

How dare you insult tower on a stick. Many men died to build that tower on a stick.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RareAcumen posted:

I'll accept cooking innovations if they lean into it being a fantasy world and for the last few decades they found other uses for stuff and then just didn't think to use it for cooking. Like, soy sauce, horseradish, (fantasy stuff) powdered needlegrass, and scorpion shells have been how we made a better mortar than we started out with, who would put that in their mouth?

German rocket fuel in WW2 needed to have giant warnings not to drink it because it will kill you, and the soldiers still drank it because it contained alcohol. I cannot imagine a situation where a soldier does not want to sample the mortar ingredient that also smells good. People will eating loving anything.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

German rocket fuel in WW2 needed to have giant warnings not to drink it because it will kill you, and the soldiers still drank it because it contained alcohol. I cannot imagine a situation where a soldier does not want to sample the mortar ingredient that also smells good. People will eating loving anything.

Yeah, it's the three standard questions that humanity asks when it finds a new thing.

1) Can I eat it?
2) Can I make alcohol from it?
3) Can I gently caress it?

That's just how humanity works. Ancient Egyptian mummies? Seems edible! And if it's not initially edible, like fugu or like, lobster or other shellfish, people will gently caress around getting sick and/or dying until they DO figure it out, like we as a species are personally offended by things that do not fit into at least one of the three categories.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Weirdly its often the things you think would be ancient that turn out to be far more recent Inventions. For instance flag semaphore for easy communication between ships at sea was only invented in 1866 despite only requiring two flags of different colors in order to work.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I thought Bookworm's invention introductions were (almost) all pretty plausible as a society on the cusp of the printing press, nearly everything she was introducing was contemporaneous with the development of that in our world.

The only one I would take issue with is Myne introducing using the broth from cooking meat or vegetables in other foods. The locals apparently threw it out before her, while wasting food would be one of the last things a peasant would do.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
believing that the water you boiled a bunch of stuff in is somehow distinct from soup is pretty silly, yeah.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I thought Bookworm's invention introductions were (almost) all pretty plausible as a society on the cusp of the printing press, nearly everything she was introducing was contemporaneous with the development of that in our world.

The only one I would take issue with is Myne introducing using the broth from cooking meat or vegetables in other foods. The locals apparently threw it out before her, while wasting food would be one of the last things a peasant would do.

Yeah, Bookworm's food parts were especially egregious because she basically invented vegetable stock, cornmeal/cornbread, and baked potatoes. Isekai's have a very troubled relationship with the concept of food.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The junk collector posted:

Yeah, Bookworm's food parts were especially egregious because she basically invented vegetable stock, cornmeal/cornbread, and baked potatoes. Isekai's have a very troubled relationship with the concept of food.

Don't forget that fruit which is used an animal feed instead of people figuring out that it actually tasted good if prepared properly. (despite already figuring out the juice by itself was tasty).

I also love how many Isekai have characters introduce sushi to medieval Europe. Like that is straight up going to kill a bunch of people, or at the very least cause them to have very unpleasant parasites.

Furthermore, don't think I've ever seen an isekai where the the other world has a food that is really delicious that isn't a direct analogue to some Japanese dish.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
making up fantasy cuisine is more effort than going down the menu of a mediocre family restaurant chain.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I'd like to see an isekai where the MC revolutionizes cooking not through being an amazing chef or having modern recipes, but because they're the first one to write down recipes in a way that non-professional chefs can follow along. The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy was a bestseller for almost 100 years, due in large part to the fact that it explained things to home cooks that a professional chef would take for granted.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Don't forget that fruit which is used an animal feed instead of people figuring out that it actually tasted good if prepared properly. (despite already figuring out the juice by itself was tasty).

I also love how many Isekai have characters introduce sushi to medieval Europe. Like that is straight up going to kill a bunch of people, or at the very least cause them to have very unpleasant parasites.

Furthermore, don't think I've ever seen an isekai where the the other world has a food that is really delicious that isn't a direct analogue to some Japanese dish.

The sushi I don't take much if any issue as long it does mention the prep process.

https://youtu.be/l5qpMP4Pum8

The above video explains it quite well around the 5min mark.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like in 80,000 gold coins she gives up on sushi and just sells canned and frozen fish, which is significantly more world changing for an inland kingdom.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Cooking with Wild Game had some interesting fantasy cooking stuff and decent stakes. The manga's terrible though, you'd want to read the light novel if you were interested. It's also horny but like, that's par for the course really.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

I'd like to see an isekai where the MC revolutionizes cooking not through being an amazing chef or having modern recipes, but because they're the first one to write down recipes in a way that non-professional chefs can follow along. The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy was a bestseller for almost 100 years, due in large part to the fact that it explained things to home cooks that a professional chef would take for granted.

You just know the way Isekai is, the MC would also have to invent the printing press just to make this possible.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Mysticblade posted:

Cooking with Wild Game had some interesting fantasy cooking stuff and decent stakes. The manga's terrible though, you'd want to read the light novel if you were interested. It's also horny but like, that's par for the course really.

It's one of the only cooking based stories I like. It is pretty well thought out for its story.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Mysticblade posted:

What's the manga gently caress up?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

LibrarianCroaker posted:

What's the manga gently caress up?

It is a story that focuses a lot on character interactions and the manga story is very compressed and fast so you lose out on a LOT of important things.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, it completely skips over multiple characters and I found it very hard to follow. If I hadn't read the LN before, I would've been totally lost after some time.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My favourite food advancement is the main character essentially inventing animal husbandry in kuma kuma. I suppose if the forests infinitely respawns edible monsters your society can do without, on the other hand it is just so deliciously dumb.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just make the Isekai character into an unethical mad scientist fuckup that introduces fantasy creatures into the world bomb spiders, drill starfish, gelatinous cube slimes, etc

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Nemo2342 posted:

Right. For a long time "cook the chicken in the usual way, and then add it to the pastry" or "add the correct amount of cloves" was a perfectly normal part of a recipe. Another potential way to realistically change cooking is to overcome xenophobia of the "only foreigners eat garlic" type. For example, in 1958, Mad Magazine published this

https://twitter.com/faineg/status/1213584317030555654

Where the entire joke is that pizza is wrong solely because it's foreign and Italian.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

golden bubble posted:

Right. For a long time "cook the chicken in the usual way, and then add it to the pastry" or "add the correct amount of cloves" was a perfectly normal part of a recipe. Another potential way to realistically change cooking is to overcome xenophobia of the "only foreigners eat garlic" type. For example, in 1958, Mad Magazine published this

https://twitter.com/faineg/status/1213584317030555654

Where the entire joke is that pizza is wrong solely because it's foreign and Italian.
And now it's considered one of the definitive foods of human society and culture.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

So I’ve been on an isekai binge and I’ve watched everything I could find on (US) crunchyroll, Netflix, and Hulu. Anyone know of a big list of decent isekai anime so I can try to find some I missed? I’m hooked and I need more.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
As someone who just read through Goblin is Very Strong at OP's recommendation I am now crushed that it got cut short. What a fun ride.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Zodack posted:

As someone who just read through Goblin is Very Strong at OP's recommendation I am now crushed that it got cut short. What a fun ride.

Now read Don't Cry Maou-chan which has the same kind of energy.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I still think it's silly to complain about unrealistic food development in isekai. On earth, we've been enjoying food with bread for millennia in various forms like wraps, yet as far as we know, the idea of simply placing food between two slices of bread originates from the 17th century. I can only imagine someone from a fantasy kingdom reading about 10th century earth and laughing at how unrealistic it is that we haven't invented something they came up with the moment bread was invented on their world.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Argue posted:

I still think it's silly to complain about unrealistic food development in isekai. On earth, we've been enjoying food with bread for millennia in various forms like wraps, yet as far as we know, the idea of simply placing food between two slices of bread originates from the 17th century. I can only imagine someone from a fantasy kingdom reading about 10th century earth and laughing at how unrealistic it is that we haven't invented something they came up with the moment bread was invented on their world.

This is kind of why I tend to take in stride. I mean, being honest if you introduced the usual Japanese cuisine that they usually do in isekai to medieval(hell, even further down to like colonial or even close to industrial) time periods, the reactions wouldn't be that far off in terms of wondering what this strange food was(whether it's liked or not would vary).

Hell, Max Miller did an episode on Pizza and the earliest recipe of it is NOTHING like what we understand today and the closest analogue was from the 1800's.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I just want 10 panels of backstory on them being way into how things are made though. Whether that comes up via How It's Made, being at the library all the time or just looking at it on the internet watching mechanics, leatherworkers, blacksmiths, cobblers, engineers, doctors, etc explain it I don't care. I like that Bookworm goes to that obsessive level about Myne's past life and I wish that carried over to other things more often.

Just because I have a poo poo memory doesn't mean that everyone else does too and won't be able to remember how to make a sharp rock or all 70,000 useful knots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Actually what I would like to see is an isekai protagonist who knows nothing but is conveniently helped out by a handbook that coincidentally has a few holes in its knowledge base. So that way they have to invent their way around certain problems using local help instead of just being a bossy know it all like Myne.