Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
When I was doing the Shadowrun nerd thing, and rewriting the new edition in my head, one of my ideas was the matrix should behave like Ultraviolet systems do. Deckers and their programs would be like cybernetically enhanced, while technos would be similar to magicians in breaking the rules. Trodes enable full access (which they already do in 5th), but it also opens the realm for custom headware cyberware, helping out in the trix as well. You could also have synergy with bodyware in the meat space giving you some other benefit in the wireless space. It really opened up a whole new dimension on character abilities.

It kinda solves two major issues.

The first is that Shadowrun has loads of situations where one person plays, and the rest watch. The matrix isn't the only offender, but it's one of the biggest. If you play with a decker using VR, you pretty much have two groups. One in which the decker plays, and the other in which everyone else plays. They give loads of in game lore about cool customized VR systems where amazing and interesting things happen, but one one character in the group ever gets to experience or interact with it. Why write up a custom system if the single decker in the group can just just change his mind and not interact with it? A huge waste.

The second is that there's really no telling how much info the players should have access to on the matrix. When your team makes an internet search roll, what should they be allowed to find? Huge corporate secrets are a no, but how much info on someone's life? It wasn't unusual for the team I was in to get 10+ hits on a search test to try to find something. Then you get to tell them why 10 hits doesn't cut it, or reveal plot nuggets through the really boring method of just outright telling them what they found on the 'net. Awesome tabletop experience.

If everyone can play on the matrix, then legwork can become its own side-run, where everyone can contribute, and you can not only enhance the plot, but also throw in fantastical settings and reveal plot nuggets that they weren't even directly searching for. A huge win for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

That's assuming you want to do the Matrix as a mini-dungeon. There's absolutely nothing wrong with just having the decker say 'I want to hack thing' and the response being 'okay, roll me logic+hacking' and narrate what happens based on successes.

This is what I wound up doing after a while and was I feel served pretty well by 3E which put a bit more emphasis on 'on-site' deckers for lack of a better term.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Liquid Communism posted:

There's a reason the Harebrained games just made the Matrix use the same rules as the physical world, with a different set of stats, and that's really how I've had my best luck running it in practice.

Just assume the entire Matrix you want to access is running sculpted systems, and any decker worth calling a decker uses personafix filters.

That's assuming you want to do the Matrix as a mini-dungeon. There's absolutely nothing wrong with just having the decker say 'I want to hack thing' and the response being 'okay, roll me logic+hacking' and narrate what happens based on successes.

Yeah, Sombra from overwatch is how I'd want most PC decking to go: i.e. you accompany the team everywhere and then wiggle your fingers and mechanomagic happens and something electronic (or a fat guy's hook) stops working or does your bidding or whatever. Subsystems should be minimal to non-existant.

Also pre run legwork seems to, at least in all the groups I've been with, seen as almost an entirely decker thing, with the face doing old fashion face-to-face talking/investigation/fact finding, not even considered, this means there's almost always a 30-45 minute minimum lag after a run where the decker player does their thing with the gm and the other players are either not involved or (arguably worse imo), 99% uninvolved but have to pay attention in the 1% of times they get to have intput. It kills the flow of the game.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 27, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ronwayne posted:

Also pre run legwork seems to, at least in all the groups I've been with, seen as almost an entirely decker thing, with the face doing old fashion face-to-face talking/investigation/fact finding, not even considered, this means there's almost always a 30-45 minute minimum lag after a run where the decker player does their thing with the gm and the other players are either not involved or (arguably worse imo), 99% uninvolved but have to pay attention in the 1% of times they get to have intput. It kills the flow of the game.
The obvious answer to this is to steal from BITD and give the decker points they can spend to have retroactively hacked something before the run.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

But then we'd miss out on the crucial game play experience of the decker loving up getting onto a low security host, leaving it, and logging on again.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ronwayne posted:

But then we'd miss out on the crucial game play experience of the decker loving up getting onto a low security host, leaving it, and logging on again.

4/5 E is ridiculously stupid on this front.

Hacking in 1-3E needed a ton of love to stop deckers from being so isolated, but instead they just got a new and even more nonsensical ruleset.

Screw up your steath? Reboot.

Got your gun hacked? Reboot.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I sort of liked 3E in that regard. Since hosts were essentially abstracted into a humongous critter with weird stats and abilities that engaged with the decker (and vice versa) through a bunch of bog-standard opposed tests, it was actually fairly easy to integrate it into the regular action and combat round since everyone would be doing very similar things, except against different opponents.

When (meatspace) combat wasn't happening, though, it still kind of bogged down…

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Tippis posted:

I sort of liked 3E in that regard. Since hosts were essentially abstracted into a humongous critter with weird stats and abilities that engaged with the decker (and vice versa) through a bunch of bog-standard opposed tests, it was actually fairly easy to integrate it into the regular action and combat round since everyone would be doing very similar things, except against different opponents.

When (meatspace) combat wasn't happening, though, it still kind of bogged down…

Yeah 3e is the best of all terrible versions of matrix rules.

I will say that the first time I played 1e it was myself as GM and a friend who made 6 characters. It was a blast because I could GM decking, astral space metaplane stuff, vehicle combat, etc. without anyone else having to be sidelined. It's almost like 1e was intended to be a 1on1 experience (I know it wasn't, but lol)

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah 3e is the best of all terrible versions of matrix rules.

I will say that the first time I played 1e it was myself as GM and a friend who made 6 characters. It was a blast because I could GM decking, astral space metaplane stuff, vehicle combat, etc. without anyone else having to be sidelined. It's almost like 1e was intended to be a 1on1 experience (I know it wasn't, but lol)

:same: Except it was one character. Having a solo campaign where there was one decker character in a host of NPCs actually ruled.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Hrm, maybe there is some hope for a better 7e.

Looks like Topps may be in some financial straights as the MLB isn't planning to renew their license to make baseball cards. Could be an IP selloff coming.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Or nothing will come off it because they've slapped a really high price tag on things.
Sadly I don't expect Pegasus to have the money for it either way.
Maybe C7 is interested? :v:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'd put money in a Kickstarter for a non poo poo company to buy the IP and make a less lovely edition

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
pegasus is by far the best candidate. theyre germans they know english anyway - and they've been working in the setting for a long time

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I'd truly love to see Shadowrun end up with a non clusterfuck system, like maybe Modiphius convert it to 2d20

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Bullbar posted:

I'd truly love to see Shadowrun end up with a non clusterfuck system, like maybe Modiphius convert it to 2d20

If the last several 2d20 releases are anything to go by, you're not getting a non clusterfuck system out of that.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I dunno, I liked Dune a lot

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So what is there to know about being a sicknasty :grovertruk: vehicular inclined type guy?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Which edition?

In third there was an absolute gently caress ton to know. In 5th, watch inspector gadget for inspiration. The vehicle rules are, of course, and even bigger hot mess than all previous editions, which is really saying something. Do you want to be a drone dude or the getaway guy? If a drone guy, make sure they have the appropriate software running them for their skills so they can get that sweet 4D6 initiative economy, and then just winnow everything to death.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

5th, and while I'm not adverse to a bit of drone, like a surveliance rotor or something, I'm mostly looking to be a getaway driver. I know basically nothing about how to do ok with rigging mechanics or what vehicle stuff is a trap or is busted.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do you want to drive fast, or just blow up everyone who tries to chase you?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ShootaBoy posted:

5th, and while I'm not adverse to a bit of drone, like a surveliance rotor or something, I'm mostly looking to be a getaway driver. I know basically nothing about how to do ok with rigging mechanics or what vehicle stuff is a trap or is busted.

You aren't alone in this. I spent a solid day, off and on, trying to figure out the vehicle rules. Ain't done it yet.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ok. Riggers in 5e are basically like deckers, except they don't need an attack or a sleaze attribute. You're in luck, since RCCs (remote control consoles) or your commlink can act just like a deck, and for a hell of alot cheaper.

If you rig with cold sim VR, your initiative is (Data processing + intuition ) + 3D6
If you rig with hot sim VR, your initiative is (Data processing + intuition ) + 4D6, and all of your vehicle actions count as matrix actions, which means you get + 2 device for every test

You can also get hurt when your vehicle is damaged, but I don't remember those rules, since vehicles are pretty beefy.

The Rigger console cyberware also adds it's rating to vehicle tests and reduces the threshold (number of successes needed) when performing stunts by its rating.

You need to read up on the intro rules on the matrix since actions that rely on data processing and firewall still apply to you. They really only come into play when the game master decides to throw something that could potentially screw with your connection.

Attaching weapons to a standard weapon mount is pretty simple in that you need vehicle + weapon mount + gun. All weapons fired from the vehicle use gunnery, whether by done manually operating them, operating them remotely, or jumping into the vehicle. What attribute to use with gunnery? The original rules say logic when using AR or VR. The errata says use agility, even when jumped into the vehicle (wut). Vehicle combat rules have always kinda been an afterthought. Vehicle mounted weapons also get free additional recoil compensation equal to the body of the vehicle it's mounted to.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 24, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

My only advice is do not make your GM try to calculate what happens when you hit someone with a car.

Whoever wrote the rules for that needs to have their access to numbers revoked.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

My only advice is do not make your GM try to calculate what happens when you hit someone with a car.

Whoever wrote the rules for that needs to have their access to numbers revoked.

I vaguely recall something about using summoned spirits to accelerate motorcycles past the speed of light.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

The Lone Badger posted:

I vaguely recall something about using summoned spirits to accelerate motorcycles past the speed of light.

Every point in the Speed stat doubles the speed of the vehicle. So when you max summon a spirit and have it focus exclusively on making a vehiche faster, it makes it go 224 times faster. Do that to a vehicle with a top speed of 60mph (a slow vehicle) and that's 1.5 times light speed.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

The Lone Badger posted:

one of the vampire variants can also do it, I think it's the elf one?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

The Lone Badger posted:

Always a hilarious read.

quote:

"I mean, being a hyperrelativistic muon soup could be a very rewarding roleplaying experience, but let's just imagine it's you and your motorcycle for the moment. From a human point a view, you instantaneously turn into a rapidly advancing ball of plasma shedding a rather lethal sheath of gamma radiation. Of course that radiation can't move faster than light either. Everyone around is dead from that momentarily before your FIRE OF ANNIHILATION consumes them and the rest of San Francisco. Look at the map, figure out which direction you were facing, and then, in three dimensional space, draw a straight line from this point to the horizon and into space because you will obliterate everything along this line in a 15-degree cone. You are a plasma jet carrying all the unfortunate matter that was in your way to make a new ring around Earth. The good news is that you probably don't trigger nuclear winter, but you have sterilized a good chunk of central California and Nevada with your gamma bath."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I always feel like that last “but” should be an “and”.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Is there a good writeup of that hilariously bad(4e I think? I forget if it was in 5e also) explosive calculation you had to do? I feel like that'd be great reading alongside that.

quote:

you will leave an interesting radiation signature in the rocks.
is my new lifegoal.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ignite the atmosphere or bust.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nalesh posted:

Is there a good writeup of that hilariously bad(4e I think? I forget if it was in 5e also) explosive calculation you had to do? I feel like that'd be great reading alongside that.

is my new lifegoal.

I always laugh when some bro says that if he had been at Hiroshima he would have jumped in the air as the fireball hit so when archeologists found his shadow burned into a wall they would think people in 1945 were able to fly.

This “motorcycle plasma” has been right up in there for years!

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Nalesh posted:

is my new lifegoal.

Ah, the "chunky salsa" rule. I think it technically goes all the way back to 2e.

This is 4e's version.

Shadowrun 4e posted:

Blast in a Confined Space
When a grenade detonates in a confined space, such as a hallway or room, the gamemaster must first determine whether any barriers (usually walls) stood firm against the explosion. Consult the Blast Against Barriers rules above. If the walls or doors hold up, the blast is channeled. Otherwise, determine blast effects normally.

If the walls hold, the shock wave reflects off of them, continuing back in the direction from which it came. If this rebounding shock wave maintains enough Damage Value to reach a character, that character is subject to the appropriate blast effect. If the character is struck a second time by the shock wave (once as it headed out and again as it rebounded), the Damage Value of the blast is equal to the combined Damage Value of the two waves.

Theoretically, a detonating grenade could rebound repeatedly off each of the six surfaces in a small, well-built room, raising the effective Damage Value of the blast to a value far higher than the original damage of the grenade. This is known as the “chunky salsa effect.”

Example
Ortega is trapped in a hallway when a high-explosive grenade goes off. The first wave hits him with a Damage Code of 8P. It then reaches the wall (1 meter away), rebounds, and hits him again. Since it traveled 2 meters to the wall and back, the second wave
has a Damage Code of 4P (–2 DV per meter). The Damage Values of these results are combined, for an effective attack of 12P.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's even worse in earlier editions.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nalesh posted:

is my new lifegoal.

Yes. I made one when I was raging at it, let me find it.

Me, Four drat Years Ago posted:

Let me find my math for something my players actually wanted to do. So the group is going to raid an apartment where a drug dealer who stiffed their fixer is holed up, with orders to shoot everyone to teach his bosses a lesson about basic thugonomics. Our Sam, who has a little bit of Demolitions under his belt, decides to open the festivities by slapping a small breaching charge on the apartment door by way of knocking. The following ensues:

Say you slap a quarter kilo of minimum rating (6) plastique in a directional shaped charge (45 degree arc to only blow into the room) onto an apartment door to blow it in. Per the rules, one cannot use less than a kilo mathematically, as the math explicitly rounds down making less than a kilo effectively zero kilos.

Logic + Demolitions scores four successes. So our equation looks like this :

Rating + (Successes on Demolitions + Logic) x sqrt(number of kilograms of explosive)

[6 + 4] x sqrt(1) = 10 x 1 = 10

So we've got a DV 10 explosion.

QUOTE ("SR5 @ Page 436")
An explosive’s Damage Value is calculated
as its Rating (modified by the Demolitions Test,
if you made one) times the square root of the
number of kilograms used (rounded down). The
Blast value for a circular explosion is –2 per meter,
while the Blast value for a directional explosion
(up to 60 degrees in a specific direction)
is –1 per meter. When explosives are attached
directly to a target, the target’s armor is halved;
otherwise the explosive has an AP value of –2.
If an explosion destroys a barrier, it creates a
cloud of deadly shrapnel that threatens an area
far bigger than the actual blast—the shrapnel blast
has a DV equal to the explosive’s DV minus the
Structure rating of the barrier, with a Blast of –1/m.

QUOTE ("SR5 @ Page 197")
If a character intends to destroy a barrier (or knock a hole
in it), resolve the attack normally. Since barriers can’t
dodge, the attack test is unopposed. The purpose of the
attack test is to generate extra hits to add to the Damage
Value. If a character got no hits, then only apply the base
Damage Value. The only way a character could “miss”
is if he got a critical glitch on the attack test, thus proving
themselves literally unable to hit the broad side of a
barn. A character may use Demolitions as the attack skill
if he has the proper materials and time to set charges.

Before rolling the barrier’s damage resistance test,
adjust the modified Damage Value to reflect the type of
attack, as noted on the Damaging Barriers Table.

Now then, onto what happens when it goes boom.

First, the barrier gets to roll a damage resistance test, with structure + armor. Given this is a standard door, it has Structure 2 and Armor 4 per the chart on pg 197. However, since this is an explosive placed up against the door, we're not done with the math and ready to roll yet. Per the 'Damaging Barriers' chart on page 198, explosives in contact with the barrier get to use Base DV times two. As this section quotes a completely different method of blowing up a door than the one under Demolitions :

We're going to assume the Base DV of this explosive is the one calculated above, despite it having the results of a demolitions + logic roll added in, as the rules on 197 state that the table's results adjust the modified DV. So the next roll is as follows :

2 (structure) + 4 (armor) dice rolled vs 10 (base DV) x 2 (per damaging barriers chart)

So 6 dice vs DV 20.

Assuming an average roll on 6 dice, the barrier gets 4 successes. This leaves 16 DV unsoaked, which is more than the 2 structure the door has, and thus the door has been damaged!

Per 'Damaging A Barrier', page 197-198, The remaining 16 successes are divided by the door's structure to determine the extent of the damage. 1 square meter of hole is generated per multiple of the structure left over in DV. Thus here, a 8 square meter hole would be generated.

We'll assume most apartments don't have a 8 square meter door. Now back to page 436!

QUOTE ("SR5 @ Page 436")
If an explosion destroys a barrier, it creates a
cloud of deadly shrapnel that threatens an area
far bigger than the actual blast—the shrapnel blast
has a DV equal to the explosive’s DV minus the
Structure rating of the barrier, with a Blast of –1/m.

The penetrating a barrier section on page 197-8 doesn't actually have any specifics at all as to how you actually destroy a barrier, only how to punch a hole in one. In this case, I'm going to go with the assumption that if the hole is larger than the object, that object is destroyed.

This door has clearly been destroyed!

Therefore, anyone on the other side of this door needs to soak :

The 10 DV (AP-2) (Minus 1 DV per meter as this is a directional explosion) explosion/blast effect itself.

-AND-

The secondary shrapnel explosion, at :

10 (Explosion DV) - 2 (structure rating of the door) with a Blast of -1 per meter.

So the door is gone, and the guy standing behind it is soaking two hits, one at 10DV (AP-2) and one at 8 DV.

As this is a shaped explosion, the people on the outside of the door do not have to soak it as well. If this was a standard spherical explosion, they would have to soak 10 DV (AP-2) -2 per meter from the door.

I have intentionally assumed this apartment is big enough that we don't have to calculate the blast reflection as well.

Now we move on to the next combat turn, and hopefully success on the part of the runners storming the apartment.

You see the number of assumptions I had to make up there? This is why I'm asking if this is an errata point or rules as intended, because there are details missing and conflicting rules in these two sections that need clarification. Also, there's a typo in the earlier part of that same rule on page 436. The rules for barriers are not on page 194 as quoted, they're on page 197.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Holy poo poo it'd be comparible to the Deccan Traps supervolcano eruption? :stare:

That was 66 million years ago, lasted for several hundred thousands of years and covered half of India with an up to 2km thick layer of lava. There was also a big meteor strike about halfway through and around 75% of all species on the planet went extinct.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Hipster Occultist posted:

Ah, the "chunky salsa" rule. I think it technically goes all the way back to 2e.

This is 4e's version.
I ran a 4e game with an adept who specialized in gymnastics and carried a riot shield.

He yanked the pin out of an enemy’s grenade and used a riot shield to pin the guy in a corner. When the grenade went off, it was essentially an instantaneous rebound off two walls and the riot shield.

The adept was blown backwards, dodged the riot shield that was flying through the air, and landed on the wall unscathed. The enemy was just a puddle.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Almost a wasted opportunity that they didn't use the blowback force to dropkick a second enemy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Probably should have killed the Adept too, barrier rating on a riot shield isn't that high. :v:

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Liquid Communism posted:

Probably should have killed the Adept too, barrier rating on a riot shield isn't that high. :v:
He had a ridiculous dice pool to dodge.

Plus it was cooler if the shield blew him backwards with an opportunity to dodge than just disintegrating and pulping him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

That's the problem with the rule: If the barrier is higher than the force of the explosion, the force gets amplified infinitely, instead of scaling up to the lowest barrier rating holding the explosion in and then doing that much...

Wait.

If reflecting an explosion makes it stronger, why not put a grenade in a sturdy bucket and throw that at the enemy?

I'm beginning to think the "Chunky Salsa Rule" isn't based on empirical scientific evidence.