Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I was specifically thinking of piracy of high dollar software, tho now that I think of it all thats actually high dollar and something wanted at the consumer level is adobe or autocad. even windows has a free version, if I understand correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

RFC2324 posted:

I was specifically thinking of piracy of high dollar software, tho now that I think of it all thats actually high dollar and something wanted at the consumer level is adobe or autocad. even windows has a free version, if I understand correctly.

I used a pirated version of Vegas Pro until Humble Bundle had an outgoing version for $30. Worked decently. Pirated versions of Adobe stuff are a huge pain in the rear end to keep running.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I work in VFX which has generally shifted to the same awful subscription model, but they have less compatibility issues in general because the big film companies wouldn't stand for it. Also they mostly work offline, I suspect it's because a lot of film work comes with strict network security rules imposed by the client.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

RFC2324 posted:

I'm still baffled how piracy just kinda stopped. I mean, I know its still around, but I have seen zoomers ask how to use torrents when a decade ago everyone had a torrent client or a friend who was running a seedbox

A decade ago, boomers were still figuring out ripping CDs to .mp3s, and how to work an iPod.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

RFC2324 posted:

I'm still baffled how piracy just kinda stopped. I mean, I know its still around, but I have seen zoomers ask how to use torrents when a decade ago everyone had a torrent client or a friend who was running a seedbox
As the streaming platforms diverge I think it will probably pick up again. I think a lot of people have been happy with the results of sharing netflix passwords etc.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

TheScott2K posted:

I used a pirated version of Vegas Pro until Humble Bundle had an outgoing version for $30. Worked decently. Pirated versions of Adobe stuff are a huge pain in the rear end to keep running.

I mean just use Da Vinci Resolve. Unless your client demands it there is no point paying for Adobe or Avid

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

smellmycheese posted:

I mean just use Da Vinci Resolve. Unless your client demands it there is no point paying for Adobe or Avid

my ex got sooo upset with me when I explained that pirating cs4 master edition was getting more difficult, and went on to explain that all her clients demanded the originals in psd or whatever proprietary format

isn't there an open standard?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Kind of.......I mean, there are actually a bunch but compatibility is spotty especially when it comes to layers and paths, etc. Some don't properly save vector elements properly as vectors, some don't have the same color depth, etc, etc. It's all kind of a mess at least the last time I looked at it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

maybe if we make a new standard we can get everyone to sign on....

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Xkcdcomic.Png

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

RFC2324 posted:

my ex got sooo upset with me when I explained that pirating cs4 master edition was getting more difficult, and went on to explain that all her clients demanded the originals in psd or whatever proprietary format

PDF

Also PostScript.

No, neither of those produce easily editable files.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

RFC2324 posted:

From what I understand this is part of a larger decline in tech literacy among younger people. Everything is designed to be easier to access and use so you don't have to do much manual work or troubleshoot as much as you used to. Think about how easy it is to operate a smartphone, how software updates automatically without you looking up and installing patches. Your average user, now familiar with these simple user experiences, does not need to develop the skills necessary to operate a torrent client or find a suitable private tracker. They don't need to, it's much easier to pay a monthly fee to a few subscription services.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Username/post combo.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Sierra Madre posted:

Your average user, now familiar with these simple user experiences, does not need to develop the skills necessary to operate a torrent client or find a suitable private tracker. They don't need to, it's much easier to pay a monthly fee to a few subscription services.
I see a parallel between my mother who sticks to the whatever the gently caress cost it is for a Dish network subscription for the three channels she and my father watch and the young adult paying for Cloud instead of doggedly sticking to CS5 like me.

Will Zoomers be the next Boomers? :ohdear:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cheesus posted:

Will Zoomers be the next Boomers? :ohdear:

No, they'll have way less money.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Sierra Madre posted:

From what I understand this is part of a larger decline in tech literacy among younger people. Everything is designed to be easier to access and use so you don't have to do much manual work or troubleshoot as much as you used to. Think about how easy it is to operate a smartphone, how software updates automatically without you looking up and installing patches. Your average user, now familiar with these simple user experiences, does not need to develop the skills necessary to operate a torrent client or find a suitable private tracker. They don't need to, it's much easier to pay a monthly fee to a few subscription services.

The lack of zoomers that can’t type is amazing

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always wondered how the simplicity creep would affect the next generation. Millenials kinda fit in this gap of time where we have to do tech support for our boomer parents and will probably have to do the same for zoomers in some capacity.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Sierra Madre posted:

this has been actually quite frustrating for me. anyone in the family and friends trendline who's fullass zoomer heavily represents the trend of tech literacy decline to me.

no typing skills. no overall growth in text literacy that you get from things like forums or higher ed. no ability to use simple work computer functions. everything's mobile and nothing else. confused by routers as easily as the boomer rents.

and in the final insult, use less punctuation than i do, but not by choice

they just have not been taught how to format sentences in any reasonably sticky way by their poo poo schools

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Staluigi posted:

this has been actually quite frustrating for me. anyone in the family and friends trendline who's fullass zoomer heavily represents the trend of tech literacy decline to me.

no typing skills. no overall growth in text literacy that you get from things like forums or higher ed. no ability to use simple work computer functions. everything's mobile and nothing else. confused by routers as easily as the boomer rents.

and in the final insult, use less punctuation than i do, but not by choice

they just have not been taught how to format sentences in any reasonably sticky way by their poo poo schools

none of this stuff matters, free your mind of the past

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sierra Madre posted:

The biggest example of this to me was when I was teaching, and would always struggle with students who just didn't grasp the idea of caring about where their file was saved. Local machine, local network, online, it was all the same to them because they were just used to creating a document and having it available anywhere.

That said, it's not the 90s/early 2000s anymore, there's no good reason for most users to know the details of how their computer works.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

sbaldrick posted:

The lack of zoomers that can’t type is amazing

I teach teenagers and plenty of them can't type (on a keyboard) and don't know how to use a computer. I'd say the majority. Phones/tablets are their exclusive outlet to the digital world.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

there's no good reason for most users to know the details of how their computer works.

This is about as useful as Tesla "full self driving". It's gonna work right up until it doesn't anymore.

Also, along the way you're paying Apple iCloud, etc to hopefully keep your poo poo straight. And then panicking when you have to switch phones because you've never backed it up and don't know any of your passwords.

Basic tech literacy is very much still necessary or you're gonna get taken advantage of. Same as it ever was on so many other things: car repairs, home repairs, etc......

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Senor Tron posted:

The biggest example of this to me was when I was teaching, and would always struggle with students who just didn't grasp the idea of caring about where their file was saved. Local machine, local network, online, it was all the same to them because they were just used to creating a document and having it available anywhere.

That said, it's not the 90s/early 2000s anymore, there's no good reason for most users to know the details of how their computer works.

No, you just described the reason why most users don't have to know. Most user-facing tech these days has the same design philosophy of Fisher-Price toys. It's all supposed to be easy to use, work without fault and limit the amount of technical work that has to be done by the user to set up and use. Combined with the deliberately opaque and closed nature of some devices (try running your own scripts or programs on an iPhone), and you can understand why people don't feel the need to learn exactly how their computer works. They don't need to, and they are encouraged not to by these design choices in their hardware, software and services.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I teach teenagers and plenty of them can't type (on a keyboard) and don't know how to use a computer. I'd say the majority. Phones/tablets are their exclusive outlet to the digital world.

Would you be willing to elaborate on your experience? How do the teens feel about typing? How do the lack of these abilities seem to affect them in the context of your class or assignments?

I find it a little concerning, so I'm curious.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I've noticed the new hire mechanical engineers at my large employer have very real trouble with Windows and Office - specifically, Outlook and dealing with file and folder hierarchies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My job's moving everything to Google soon and it's gonna be such a pain in the rear end. Outlook is so much better for productivity than Gmail.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
this reminds me of summer 2020 when npr was talking about some of the the distant learning stuff , like even college students had to park in fastfood parking lots for wifi because lol most of merica is a internet desert.

or the a HS teacher having a student text him an essay.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

this reminds me of summer 2020 when npr was talking about some of the the distant learning stuff , like even college students had to park in fastfood parking lots for wifi because lol most of merica is a internet desert.

or the a HS teacher having a student text him an essay.

virtual learning is a complete disaster because the kids who are best set up in life to succeed regardless are the same kids who aren't going to be massively disadvantaged by virtual school

relevant to this thread, the digital divide is still very real. it comes down to your parents being able to afford a big enough internet plan for everyone, for everyone to have their own private places to study, to have a device in good working order which can actually connect to and run the lesson plan, and so on. maybe your school district can afford to issue you a cut rate chromebook if all you have is a six year old smartphone, but it's not going to help

the technical issues are compounded by social obstacles as well. one of the teachers i know, who teaches in a lower SES district, noted the difficulty of getting high school students to participate in or even attend virtual class. a lot of these kids had to adopt a caretaker role for their younger siblings and help them do their virtual school, or were otherwise occupied with childcare during the day, because the adult guardians were off working their essential jobs without childcare. or even if the student wasn't otherwise busy during the day, its real hard to concentrate if you've got more than a few kids in the same small apartment all with devices and screens on, either learning or being entertained. or if you're trying to follow a lecture on a cracked, tiny screen because you gave up your district laptop so your little brother could take a spelling quiz, but the lecture keeps buffering because everyone's connected over the same 4g hotspot

meanwhile, the kids in comfortable, quiet homes with reliable internet and brand new personal laptops are doing pretty ok, and these are the kids who were going to be fine no matter what

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RFC2324 posted:

windows has become winrar-style nagware. you can use it forever without paying but it'll constantly bug you to "activate windows" with a transparent overlay on the corner of the screen. and i think you can't change from the default desktop background
i guess that change is worth it to MS now that they shove ads in your start menu and sell all your data

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

virtual learning is a complete disaster because the kids who are best set up in life to succeed regardless are the same kids who aren't going to be massively disadvantaged by virtual school

relevant to this thread, the digital divide is still very real. it comes down to your parents being able to afford a big enough internet plan for everyone, for everyone to have their own private places to study, to have a device in good working order which can actually connect to and run the lesson plan, and so on. maybe your school district can afford to issue you a cut rate chromebook if all you have is a six year old smartphone, but it's not going to help

the technical issues are compounded by social obstacles as well. one of the teachers i know, who teaches in a lower SES district, noted the difficulty of getting high school students to participate in or even attend virtual class. a lot of these kids had to adopt a caretaker role for their younger siblings and help them do their virtual school, or were otherwise occupied with childcare during the day, because the adult guardians were off working their essential jobs without childcare. or even if the student wasn't otherwise busy during the day, its real hard to concentrate if you've got more than a few kids in the same small apartment all with devices and screens on, either learning or being entertained. or if you're trying to follow a lecture on a cracked, tiny screen because you gave up your district laptop so your little brother could take a spelling quiz, but the lecture keeps buffering because everyone's connected over the same 4g hotspot

meanwhile, the kids in comfortable, quiet homes with reliable internet and brand new personal laptops are doing pretty ok, and these are the kids who were going to be fine no matter what

The shift to permanent partial work from home also includes this. For people with the resources to have a dedicated workspace at home it's one thing, but for those who don't it seems like a dick move to essentially be forcing them to turn their bedroom/lounge room into their work.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

TheScott2K posted:

I've noticed the new hire mechanical engineers at my large employer have very real trouble with Windows and Office - specifically, Outlook and dealing with file and folder hierarchies.

Well to be frank, outlook sucks. Been running thunderbird on my personal workstation for years, but now we're moving from imap to exchange and virtual desktops so I finally gotta embrace it.

This thread has shown that I need to personally teach my kids how to use computers and office.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If there's a client whose email/calendar/global address book plays better with SAP, WebEx, and Jabber than Outlook let me know

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I have to wonder how many people in this thread whining about the decline of tech literacy lack the car literacy to safely replace a bad intake valve.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Roadie posted:

I have to wonder how many people in this thread whining about the decline of tech literacy lack the car literacy to safely replace a bad intake valve.

i can read a license place just fine thank you very much

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Roadie posted:

Since I was one of those complaining: not me, considering I've built multiple motors.

It's also a ridiculously unlikely thing for any normal person to need to do compared to "competently operate the largely unreliable technology you use on a daily basis."

I mean sure, you could be all into british or italian cars and this becomes more of a likely thing you need to do, but that's a choice.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

BiggerBoat posted:

Adobe is the poster child for what happens when competition gets eliminated and they treat their user base like poo poo. They're also eliminating ALL support for "Open Type" fonts soon, which are quite ubiquitous and used in thousands of not only our files but by designers everywhere.

A minor nitpick, OpenType fonts aren't going anywhere, it's PostScript Type 1 font support that's being axed. (Good riddance, I say. It's a band-aid that's needed to be ripped off for a long time, but that's a really long technical rabbit hole that I don't want to get into at the moment).

Otherwise, everything you say is true. I never thought Adobe would become worse than Quark (the company), but they've succumbed to greed and sloth.

But hey, if you think their support for Creative Cloud is bad, don't ask about Adobe PDF Print Engine, which is what most workflows use to rasterize your PDFs. How they managed to convince people that it was somehow better than Global Graphics products (which isn't true), I have no idea. I could also tell you stories about all the flaws of the major workflow softwares, and their crazy cost structures.

(source: I worked in software development for two major raster image processor manufacturers over the course of two decades, but have since left the industry.)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i mean they're probably be willing to learn assuming they dont need the car like now or now now.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Motronic posted:

Since I was one of those complaining: not me, considering I've built multiple motors.

It's also a ridiculously unlikely thing for any normal person to need to do compared to "competently operate the largely unreliable technology you use on a daily basis."

I mean sure, you could be all into british or italian cars and this becomes more of a likely thing you need to do, but that's a choice.

yeah except the main reason the :argh: kids these days :argh: can't competently operate that technology is because they do not in fact use it on a daily basis. the world has changed. desktop pcs are out of fashion except for nerds and office workers. of course they don't know how to use a physical keyboard when they've only ever had a touchscreen phone

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh, well if it's only "nerds and office workers" that need this type of thing why both teaching them. It's not like the overwhelming majority of well paying jobs require that skillset or anything. As opposed to like.....being a car mechanic? Which most would never actually ever even need to do the thing that was talked about because almost nobody does that kind of thing anymore because the labor is not financially viable unless it's on the highest of high end cars, most of which, under warranty, won't allow dealer techs to do it anyway and would make them shove in a crate motor to complete the repair.

It's almost like car analogies don't work for things llike.....well, anything that's not a car.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Yeah, keyboard typing is way more akin to basic functioning than repairing a car. Its the equivalent of swimming if you live near water. You should probably know how for your own good.

Get a good mechanical keyboard as well and it can be a great experience as well. Just beware that the rabbit hole is deep and expensive.

Motronic posted:

It's almost like car analogies don't work for things llike.....well, anything that's not a car.

:iiaca:

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 24, 2021