Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Red Hood rules. If the tall muscle women strategy doesn’t work then the sins of humanity are truly unforgivable. I think the biggest issue with Red Hood is that the panel layout is mediocre. It’s never confusing but it tends to be pretty static and the flow of action from panel to panel isn’t great.

Sakamoto was good this week.

Jujutsu is still great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Roboco and Sakamoto both got really big laughs out of me this week.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Red Hood knows what sells

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Somehow Youtube's been properly calibrated and recommending me manhwas now so I finally gave in and started reading Weak Hero and it's been great so far. The basic thrust of it is that the protagonist is a tiny, scrawny little stick figure of a High Schooler thrown into the lion's den of a school overflowing with delinquents. However, being a Halloween skeleton decoration with skin draped over it, he can't just be throwing punches straightforward like you'd expect, so his fights are almost always interesting since he's gotta be crazy brutal or clever to make up for that.

Sorry in advance for flooding the page with pictures, they're huge, vertical and it takes 15 pages to move a scene forward.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Suddenly, Red Hood has my interest locked down. Surely it has nothing to do with the introduction of a woman built like loving Noi. Surely.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

RareAcumen posted:

Somehow Youtube's been properly calibrated and recommending me manhwas now so I finally gave in and started reading Weak Hero and it's been great so far. The basic thrust of it is that the protagonist is a tiny, scrawny little stick figure of a High Schooler thrown into the lion's den of a school overflowing with delinquents. However, being a Halloween skeleton decoration with skin draped over it, he can't just be throwing punches straightforward like you'd expect, so his fights are almost always interesting since he's gotta be crazy brutal or clever to make up for that.

Sorry in advance for flooding the page with pictures, they're huge, vertical and it takes 15 pages to move a scene forward.

I've been reading it basically since it appeared on webtoons. I just love comics about high school kids fighting each other it seems lol. The names get me a lot but I like the fact the main cast all appear to actually like each other despite the fact the main character is all hosed up and quiet. They just accomodate him

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Candy Flurry: My heart is dying. It's dying so hard, guys. Why is life so hosed up and cruel. God I hope the author gets to come back with something else. I hate the world and I'm going to destroy it.

Elusive Samurai: RUNAWAY BUTT MUSCLES. Also I love the fuckin' gags with the guy with the simple face. Good development for the prince, too.

Mashle: Exams are hard. Brain not work so good, scores not write themselves.

Red Hood: Getting pretty interesting, I'm a sucker for exam arcs.

Roboco: OH NO NOT THE KNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

Sakamoto: Best thing about this chapter was the cover page gag. Not a bad chapter but I ain't really feelin' this arc in general.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Mikl posted:

Surprised at Blue Box being so low.

It's not groundbreaking but I like Blue Box and hope it gets a decent run

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

It's not groundbreaking but I like Blue Box and hope it gets a decent run

Looking at the sales numbers (and the fact Blue Box has a color page coming next week, if I read the preview correctly) I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Selling over 40,000 copies week one is the sort of start Jump likes to see. It may not be Kaiju 8's insanity yet, but it being at the back is just jump shuffling things around to avoid any of their successes staying at the bottom too long.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jose posted:

I've been reading it basically since it appeared on webtoons. I just love comics about high school kids fighting each other it seems lol. The names get me a lot but I like the fact the main cast all appear to actually like each other despite the fact the main character is all hosed up and quiet. They just accomodate him

I agree! I don't know anything about Korea aside from the dystopia that is the Northern half so the lack of honorifics and everyone's first names being so common for America was a surprise.

And to be fair, Gray is very pretty and very fragile looking too though, I understand.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RareAcumen posted:

I agree! I don't know anything about Korea aside from the dystopia that is the Northern half so the lack of honorifics and everyone's first names being so common for America was a surprise.

And to be fair, Gray is very pretty and very fragile looking too though, I understand.

The Southern half is also a dystopia.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
With Mangadex starting to get updates again I have been checking back on some series I looked at briefly but at that time didn't have many chapters released before. One of them I would like to recommend is Dark Gathering. Starts out as protagonist meets spooky child and investigates spooky haunts and progresses to Finding out said spooky-child has sworn vengeance on the ghost world and is going Batman on it while catching ghosts the equivalent of the ones from the Grudge or the Ring movies like Pokemon and plans on using them to kill, among other things, local shinto gods and eventually the spirit that killed her parents

I feel it is going places.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out what Red Hood manga you guys have been talking about lately.

I know now that it's not the one with Goldilocks as a buff dude with a whip kissing werewolves to heal like it's Co-op Kirby.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Vise the Stompy posted:

With Mangadex starting to get updates again I have been checking back on some series I looked at briefly but at that time didn't have many chapters released before. One of them I would like to recommend is Dark Gathering. Starts out as protagonist meets spooky child and investigates spooky haunts and progresses to Finding out said spooky-child has sworn vengeance on the ghost world and is going Batman on it while catching ghosts the equivalent of the ones from the Grudge or the Ring movies like Pokemon and plans on using them to kill, among other things, local shinto gods and eventually the spirit that killed her parents

I feel it is going places.

A link would be nice.

I dropped red hood for now at least. Didn’t like it.

Liking Neru though

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Darth TNT posted:

A link would be nice.

I dropped red hood for now at least. Didn’t like it.

Liking Neru though

Sure thing. Dark Gathering

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
People talk as though Mangadex is back, but it's not loading for me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

People talk as though Mangadex is back, but it's not loading for me.

verizon rangebanned it, so it won't load if you have them as a provider

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Oxxidation posted:

verizon rangebanned it, so it won't load if you have them as a provider

Phone provider or internet? That's pretty big if it's Internet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

Phone provider or internet? That's pretty big if it's Internet.

either. I can’t access the site on my phone in Verizon’s territory even if I go on data

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Oxxidation posted:

either. I can’t access the site on my phone in Verizon’s territory even if I go on data

drat that's brutal. By internet I meant their Fios plan, but still just phone data is rough.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Mangapill is a really good alternative to mangadex given its current state. I don't really use a lot of the extra functionality old mangadex had besides just going and reading the series I like or occasionally browsing to find another, though

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
This week's Choujin X has me fully onboard after a rough first few chapters. The art is so so good and I'm excited to see how the main character does in Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters Yamato Mori.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Weak Hero owns, I've almost completely binged the entire thing now. Season 3 seems to have brought an art update too, which is very appreciated.

I do not find Donald Na interesting as a character or villain though.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Work has been really light lately, so I've been reading more manga, and got caught up on Mashle and Kaiju No. 8. They're both great, but I can't figure out why Kaiju No. 8 feels like a Western series taking manga-influence rather than a traditional manga. Is it something in the art style like the thicker outlines?
Edit: also, like the rest of the thread, I find Red Hood super promising! Hopefully it keeps up and doesn't get folded before it shines.

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 26, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

RareAcumen posted:

Weak Hero owns, I've almost completely binged the entire thing now. Season 3 seems to have brought an art update too, which is very appreciated.

The only thing I sort of appreciate is the shounen genius perfect at everything mc is the villain this time

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Gotta give credit to Paru. I never in a thousand years would have expected her newest manga to go in that direction.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Having only seen the description in this thread, it seems vaguely similar to the Korean webtoon about a guy who starts doing Youtube videos about fighting bullies (Viral Hit - https://www.webtoons.com/en/action/viral-hit/list?title_no=2268&page=1). That webtoon is very funny and surprisingly realistic with the fighting. The protagonist finds some Youtube videos with realistic fighting tips for amateurs, and the protagonist decides to watch some videos to prepare for a fight against a jujitsu (or judo, forget) practitioner, and the video is just like "that's impossible lol, there's no way an amateur could beat a professional grappler."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Having only seen the description in this thread, it seems vaguely similar to the Korean webtoon about a guy who starts doing Youtube videos about fighting bullies (Viral Hit - https://www.webtoons.com/en/action/viral-hit/list?title_no=2268&page=1). That webtoon is very funny and surprisingly realistic with the fighting. The protagonist finds some Youtube videos with realistic fighting tips for amateurs, and the protagonist decides to watch some videos to prepare for a fight against a jujitsu (or judo, forget) practitioner, and the video is just like "that's impossible lol, there's no way an amateur could beat a professional grappler."

The protagonist is the hardest working teenager when it comes to studying I've ever seen. Normally he has some kind of weapon on hand or he'll grab whatever's around (a brick, a can of soda, his belt) in his last fight he beat a dude up using just the guy's hat after he stole it and the shirt he took off before they started fighting.

It's very engaging to watch but boy you don't want to keep up on that week to week, that's something you put off for like 3 months for a decent block of updates to read. It's just like A Returner's Magic Should be Special in that way. Fantastic manga, lo- aw gently caress this update's already over.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Sakamoto Days continues to be the loving best :allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Comments on this week's stuff:

Candy Flurry -- feels very rushed, it could be either "let's try a hail mary to save the series" or "this has already been axed, let's at least give it an ending."

Ayakashi Triangle -- this twist in the story is interesting, but do you really need to be such a perv Yabuki? :cripes: (Yes, yes he does.)

Witch Watch -- I liked it. Nothing more to say about it, really.

Sakamoto Days -- still owns.

Neru -- this definitely has a mid-nineties feel, especially given the final gag of this chapter. I like it so far, curious to see where it goes from now on.

Red Hood -- fun. I didn't particularly like the first few chapters, but this one I enjoyed.

Mashle -- in which Mash pets the dog. Still love this.

Blue Box -- I like this, it's really chill. And the dynamic is interesting, basically gymnastics girl is in love with the boy, and the boy is in love with basketball girl, who lives with him because reasons. Basketball girl doesn't really care about the boy beyond a simple friendship, but decides to be wingwoman for gymnastics girl. I like this.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Candy Flurry: I'll never forgive Shounen Jump.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

first page of red hood reminds me of old dragon ball covers

also I'd be so surprised if candy flurry lasts much longer

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Candy Flurry is pretty obviously cancelled.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
the tears won't stop flowing

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's Roboco was especially goofy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The gag in Magu-chan where the "quest" is revealed and Magu is just kinda sighs and blows it up was really funny.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Sakamoto Days continues to be the loving best :allears:

He could totally wreck the Older Darby brother.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Gotta say that I'm happy with the way Witch Watch is balancing humor with the more shonen-y parts so far. Was worried it'd drop the humor entirely but nope, it's still funny. Hope the hag becomes a part of the recurring cast from now on.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

The gag in Magu-chan where the "quest" is revealed and Magu is just kinda sighs and blows it up was really funny.

Coincidentally, this is also my reaction to this week's Red Hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh right, I also read through like 43 chapters of Mashle and that was a fun one. I'd always skipped over it because the cover art gave me low quality vibes like most Isekai manga about invincible, s rank, secretly god, etc protagonists in the title.

It's good! Love a battle manga where people use lateral thinking to win the fights. Bunting magic swords, splitting the floor in half at 1 mile an hour because your speed's being drained, it's good stuff!