Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

duz posted:

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1430122148794884101

Betteridge's law of headlines still applies.

I think she knows this is full of poo poo, but telling national democrats sweet tales about blueing Texas is one of the surest ways to get your name in the paper. One thing she fails to note here is that there isn't even a whisper of a democratic challenger to Abbott.

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/MayorAdler/status/1430167808000897026?s=20

hmm yes with additional public comment i'm sure the plan to add a bunch of lanes and waste billions of dollars for no reason will get better

When did public comment even start, as a thing? Congress doesn't do it, public comment should be prohibited. It amplifies the concerns of extremists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

duz posted:

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1430122148794884101

Betteridge's law of headlines still applies.

Ah yes, so close to "open rebellion" against Greg Abbott that the opposition party hasn't even fielded a loving candidate yet

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Good news everyone, Ken Paxton’s office can now report that Ken Paxton’s office did nothing wrong
https://mobile.twitter.com/robertmaguire_/status/1430174692673994769
(Anybody seen any updates lately on that DOJ investigation into all this?)

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 24, 2021

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I think she knows this is full of poo poo, but telling national democrats sweet tales about blueing Texas is one of the surest ways to get your name in the paper. One thing she fails to note here is that there isn't even a whisper of a democratic challenger to Abbott.

When did public comment even start, as a thing? Congress doesn't do it, public comment should be prohibited. It amplifies the concerns of extremists.

I would guess probably in the late 60s/early 70s as part of the freeway revolts/NEPA but that's just a guess

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

I would guess probably in the late 60s/early 70s as part of the freeway revolts/NEPA but that's just a guess

yeah I would have guessed White Citizen's Councils

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Blotto_Otter posted:

Good news everyone, Ken Paxton’s office can now report that Ken Paxton’s office did nothing wrong
https://mobile.twitter.com/robertmaguire_/status/1430174692673994769
(Anybody seen any updates lately on that DOJ investigation into all this?)

And he only had to fire all the people at his office who made public statements on all the wrong things he did.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

NEPA is mega bad btw

https://slate.com/business/2021/08/congestion-pricing-nyc-bart-tunnel-san-francisco-bay-environmental-reviews.html

quote:

More than two years have passed since the New York State Legislature approved congestion pricing for New York City, a policy to charge drivers entering the Manhattan core. Little has happened in the interim. Though many office workers have not returned, the streets are once again jammed with personal cars—flustering local businesses, slowing ambulances, and filling the streets with exhaust.

Earlier this week, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority—the agency that would run the congestion pricing program and direct its revenue toward mass transit—announced that the tolls would require another 16 months of environmental review. New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio responded, “That’s ridiculous. If they want to know the environmental impact, I’ll tell them: It will reduce congestion, it will reduce pollution.”

The mayor’s logic will sound familiar to anyone who has followed the construction of an American mass transit project, where you practically have to pulp a California redwood just to print the environmental impact statement required by the National Environmental Policy Act. When Bay Area Rapid Transit General Manager Bob Powers said earlier this year that it would take a billion dollars to get through the environmental review to build a second subway tunnel beneath San Francisco Bay, that sounded sadly believable. BART board member Rebecca Saltzman clarified that figure includes all planning for the tunnel, but she said the point remains valid: “When [these laws] were written, the focus was on water quality and wildlife habitat, and now we need to look at everything through the lens of climate change.”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/quorumreport/status/1430217894235971587

Another secret tape scandal!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

We better get to hear this one

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChristinaKVUE/status/1430230641719889925

Hoo boy here we go

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this should have been way before masks, everything is so stupid

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think they could've done it before final authorization from the FDA? That's at least what it seems like everyone has been saying.

https://twitter.com/West4Texas/status/1430186613070565376

Cool any more out of state endorsements you want to publicize

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

gently caress me. Just catching up on the Texas Standard, that loving gun law goes into effect on September 1st. I don't think I'm going to want to leave my house even more now. loving anxiety.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many people in Texas, total, who weren't already carrying with a CHL will be carrying under the new permitless carry law? If it's more than 1000 I'll be shocked.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

How many people in Texas, total, who weren't already carrying with a CHL will be carrying under the new permitless carry law? If it's more than 1000 I'll be shocked.

We'll literally never know. But that 1000 or however many it is will be far scarier than CHL carriers because they weren't even willing to do the bare minimum to get a CHL.

Also hell yeah we're at record levels now baby:
https://twitter.com/zachdespart/status/1429895427504156686?s=19

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

No Safe Word posted:

We'll literally never know. But that 1000 or however many it is will be far scarier than CHL carriers because they weren't even willing to do the bare minimum to get a CHL.

P much

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I imagine the people who wanted to carry but weren't willing to get a CHL were probably already carrying. Maybe not, maybe there's a huge untapped well of dudes who want to commit gun crimes but who were also dissuaded by the threat of gun charges.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gun crime will go up, yes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

gun crime will go up, yes

Like it did after the CHL law?

Look, the ship has already sailed on gun permissiveness in Texas. I'm stolidly anti-gun, I think that the real issue is going to be more domestic violence and kids accidentally exercising their second amendment rights on their younger brothers but as far as seeing an increase in public gun crime, no one ITT should be increasingly worried that they are going to be the victim of gun violence, at least any more than they are today.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 24, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
While I agree with zoux, I also think it's ok to feel more ill at ease in the current political climate, especially since we're all a bit more aware of politics than we were in 1996.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

While I agree with zoux,

What the gently caress

I mean, gun crime is up this year nationally, no one is quite sure why, but there weren't any new gun laws on the books that led to it. Every time they've relaxed gun laws here, whether it be CHL, or campus carry, or whatever, opponents foretold grim tales of the Wild West breaking out on every street corner, and it never came to pass. I don't see why this law, which is going to, theoretically, open up gun ownership to a much smaller number of people, would be any more dangerous.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of guns

https://twitter.com/NRA/status/1430252665439674375

Lol. Lmao.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

this should have been way before masks, everything is so stupid

They couldn't mandate a drug that hadn't been approved yet. This is probably a bridge too far and will not get mandated.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

zoux posted:

I don't see why this law, which is going to, theoretically, open up gun ownership to a much smaller number of people, would be any more dangerous.

It doesn’t expand or loosen the requirements to own a gun at all, it just removes the training/licensing requirements to carry one in public. I doubt there will be any impact on gun ownership.

The biggest problem here is that the previously-required training spent a pretty good amount of time going over where you can legally carry (for example, no-go areas include schools and restaurants/bars where 51% of revenue is from alcohol sales) and cases where your ability to carry could be limited (specific signage that a business can put up to prevent the carry of weapons on site), and other important things like the duty to inform law enforcement that you are carrying.

I have no clue what the actual result of this legislation will be, but the idea of additional people carrying weapons places they can’t/shouldn’t, or carrying while drunk, or just generally not being aware of the legal box they need to operate within worries me. I don’t think there will be a huge spike in gun crime or anything, but I can see a number of violations dealing with issues mentioned above.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

smax posted:

It doesn’t expand or loosen the requirements to own a gun at all, it just removes the training/licensing requirements to carry one in public. I doubt there will be any impact on gun ownership.

The biggest problem here is that the previously-required training spent a pretty good amount of time going over where you can legally carry (for example, no-go areas include schools and restaurants/bars where 51% of revenue is from alcohol sales) and cases where your ability to carry could be limited (specific signage that a business can put up to prevent the carry of weapons on site), and other important things like the duty to inform law enforcement that you are carrying.

I have no clue what the actual result of this legislation will be, but the idea of additional people carrying weapons places they can’t/shouldn’t, or carrying while drunk, or just generally not being aware of the legal box they need to operate within worries me. I don’t think there will be a huge spike in gun crime or anything, but I can see a number of violations dealing with issues mentioned above.

That seems fair. I think that you're still going to see a significant number of people go through the CHL course, simply because it's required for reciprocity in most other states. I know that some of your concerns are addressed in the legislation, like if you carry at a place where you aren't allowed, if you leave as soon as you are informed that you are in violation, there's no penalty.

I can tell you that there were about 2200 rejected CHL applications in 2020, with just under 1k of those being for past criminal history.

radical meme posted:

They couldn't mandate a drug that hadn't been approved yet. This is probably a bridge too far and will not get mandated.

It's going to be an insane fight either way. Look how hard they're going against the mildest of interventions in mask mandates, vaccination mandates are an order of magnitude more invasive than that.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 24, 2021

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I for one expect a small flurry of twitter videos showing people wilding out on a dance floor, their gun slipping out of a poorly fitted cloth holster and NDing into a crowd

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Defending the new gun law because it might not make things worse seems crazy to me. Regardless, it still moves gun laws in the opposite direction gun they should be going. It does nothing to create more safety, thus it sucks as a gun law.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not defending it I'm just telling Jiro he shouldn't freak out about it.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I can see hospitals and healthcare providers mandating vaccines. They are private institutions and have to be concerned about health safety. When we start talking about government institutions, it's really gonna get messy.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Lina is picking up on Gene's posting vibes:
https://twitter.com/LinaHidalgoTX/status/1430266699220090880?s=19

I approve

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

smax posted:

One other aspect of the new laws is that they completely neuter the ability of businesses enforce the "no guns allowed" signage. There is no fine or penalty for carrying inside a business where the sign is present. The business owner (or a member of the staff) has to see that you are carrying, tell you to leave, and then if you refuse to leave you can get charged with trespass. (Which, of course, was already the case if you refused to leave after a business asked you to leave.)

If any of the expanding-gun-rights laws end up causing some notable increase in gun violence, it'll be this one. At the very least because the type of person who will get to carry in this case is the type who has DUIs, assault convictions, and other evidence of extremely poor decision making on his record. Also, they won't have heard the mantra that gets drilled into your head repeatedly in any LTC class: If you draw your weapon and fire, even if you are 100% in the right, you can expect to spend a huge amount of time and money in court to prove it.

That said, it won't be the wild west or anything. (Hell, we had stricter gun laws when Texas was the wild west.) Any increases in gun violence will be on the margins. They might end up getting more press, though, because they'll almost certainly end up being the kind of Florida Man-style dumbassery that often goes viral. There would probably need to be a lot of cases of extreme, very public idiocy to actually shame the lege into reversing course in the next biennium.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I think they should hold it in New York state or wherever they wanted to move their registration.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

That said, it won't be the wild west or anything. (Hell, we had stricter gun laws when Texas was the wild west

This is true, the state of Texas banned the carrying of sidearms in 1877.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

This is true, the state of Texas banned the carrying of sidearms in 1877.

loving pussy rear end communists

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/matthewjdowd/status/1430251471099027458?s=20

i appreciate this man trying to help out but lmao if he thinks "former bush adviser" is the person to beat greg abbott as a democrat in 2022

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
On the related topic of gun violence - one of the bills Abbott vetoed would have standardized protective order forms across different counties, with the unstated goal of making it easier to enter data into the NICS system and stop selling a fuckton of guns to stalkers or domestic abusers (because the data prohibiting their purchases hasn't hit the background check system yet). Apparently the NRA was fighting it behind the scenes because it would be used to limit guns to these people - not just my suspicion, this is actually what stakeholders were dealing with.

It passed both chambers uneventfully, but Abbott vetoed it because "it's a mandate for counties, and mandates are bad" and no other reason. (He vetoed a different bill because it was a voluntary program - so his vetoes were clearly all bullshit explanations.) We can't even unite around "we should maybe make it more difficult for known, established violent people who specifically want to hurt a person or group of people to buy guns" anymore.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

On the related topic of gun violence - one of the bills Abbott vetoed would have standardized protective order forms across different counties, with the unstated goal of making it easier to enter data into the NICS system and stop selling a fuckton of guns to stalkers or domestic abusers (because the data prohibiting their purchases hasn't hit the background check system yet). Apparently the NRA was fighting it behind the scenes because it would be used to limit guns to these people - not just my suspicion, this is actually what stakeholders were dealing with.

It passed both chambers uneventfully, but Abbott vetoed it because "it's a mandate for counties, and mandates are bad" and no other reason. (He vetoed a different bill because it was a voluntary program - so his vetoes were clearly all bullshit explanations.) We can't even unite around "we should maybe make it more difficult for known, established violent people who specifically want to hurt a person or group of people to buy guns" anymore.

Yeah this is what I mean when I say the big marquee bills that get all the press often aren't as important as little boring ones. DV gun violence is a massive problem, probably the number one gun homicide cause, and combating that is a worthy and effective goal. I didn't read one word about this bill all session.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The much worse part of the gun law isn't that it's permitless carry, it's shifting the burden of policing non-carry establishments onto the workers at those places. Used to be you could just put your sign up and if someone ignored it that was on them. Now, as I understand it, a sign alone isn't good enough, you have to confront the person and tell them they can't carry in your place of business or whatever, and that is super hosed up.

Unless that was dropped in the final version of the law. I doubt it was.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Signs still apply. It's just an affirmative defense that you left the property as soon as you were informed by someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Signs still apply. It's just an affirmative defense that you left the property as soon as you were informed by someone.

Ah I see. Still not great, especially since it was likely crafted because there's no required education on those things anymore so you can't expect all these new carriers to actually understand the laws they're expected to be following (and though it's initially going to be few people, that number is going to increase as time passes since the only people that will seek a permit going forward are the ones who want reciprocal carry with whichever other states), but it's not as bad as I'd thought. I don't like it, but eh, I didn't like open carry either, and the number of people I've seen actually do it is zero.