Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
It's finally over, what a weird and bittersweet feeling after all these years. Some of it felt forced but I don't care, it's nice to see the characters I grew up with grow up themselves. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Oh, absolutely. Everything Eva that has been made since the original series has been pretty heavily in conversation with Eva fandom. I'm glad that conversation isn't so bitter in this movie.

I like that Mari rescues Shinji at the end. She takes the emotional core of Eva with her into the world without Evangelion.

This movie really isn't interested in subtlety is it? Everyone is an adult in the world without Eva.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Careful now, we don't cotton to this pedoriffic stuff round these parts!

Age dynamics in the Rebuilds get real messy when Looqalike is like, 2? And Mari is 40? And Asuka is 28? And Gendo has the apocryphal knowledge of the ages and it all revolves around the teen boy self-actualizing.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Careful now, we don't cotton to this pedoriffic stuff round these parts!

Age dynamics in the Rebuilds get real messy when Looqalike is like, 2? And Mari is 40? And Asuka is 28? And Gendo has the apocryphal knowledge of the ages and it all revolves around the teen boy self-actualizing.

"self-actualizing"

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Wittgen posted:

An interpretation of Mari that I heard before seeing the movies is that she is an Evangelion fan. Maybe it's because this interpretation was affecting my viewing, but it really worked for me.

I like this idea but would also say you can draw this on almost everyone in the series as different reactions to Evangelion. Asuka, Karowu and Ms. Lookalike are also Evangelion fans. Mari is a healthy person looking at Eva as good fun without the baggage others come to it with. Kaworu is obsessed with Eva to an unhealthy degree and has a hard time with letting it change. Asuka is abusive but is also right on the mark about the problems of Eva. Ms. Lookalike is the new fan experiencing it all for the first time with Rebuild with childlike confusion. Rei in Eva-01 maybe is the fan who has been supportive all along and never really left though it seemed like they did.

Now which person in Evangelion most represents the internet thread that wanted to murder Anno?

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Weird BIAS posted:

Kaworu is obsessed with Eva to an unhealthy degree and has a hard time with letting it change.

Now which person in Evangelion most represents the internet thread that wanted to murder Anno?

I'd say Kaworu. This is multiple timelines where he descends into Terminal Dogma, looking for his own personal story climax. And multiple times he finds something contrary to what he expects; something he can't actually use. Then, rather than make an escape and find peace or alternate options within the current situation (noone can stop him from coming, so surely they can't stop him from leaving...or finding a new show to obsess over) he merely chooses to self-destruct.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Does Kaworu actively wish for Shinji's death though is the question since Anno being Shinji is less subtext than text at this point.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

the angry fans are gendo because they loving hated the way things turned out and have poo poo their diapers and done everything they can to try and make it so they can get the ending they wanted instead

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Weird BIAS posted:

Does Kaworu actively wish for Shinji's death though is the question since Anno being Shinji is less subtext than text at this point.

No he just wishes for Shinji to be happy. But that doesn't mean that would bring Kaworu happiness, which this movie explores.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/Bdisgustd/status/1430217949512708098

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Paper Lion posted:

the angry fans are gendo because they loving hated the way things turned out and have poo poo their diapers and done everything they can to try and make it so they can get the ending they wanted instead

How can you be a fan of Evangelion and not get the irony of getting angry at it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Just the tweet.

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1430314598322769924

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
🇮🇹 Eva 02 🇮🇹

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nice. I saw the application you submitted where you had to justify the vanity plate request with "art car," does CO not let you just get a custom plate for the hell of it?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

holy gently caress that is a god-tier display name

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thanks, lol, and

Midjack posted:

does CO not let you just get a custom plate for the hell of it?

I mean i suspected if you left the fields blank your application would, at best, be rocketed to the bottom of the queue. I just wanted to be honest about it haha

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Should have written out a dissertation explaining the metaphors End of Evangelion expressed to submit with the application.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Invalid Validation posted:

Should have written out a dissertation explaining the metaphors End of Evangelion expressed to submit with the application.

I hit character limits on all of them. WELL YOU SEE THIS IS SORYU BECAUSE IN THE ORIG

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’m watching Pokémon with my son and they’re playing that song that runs behind the “coming next episode” previews in the original series. Has that been a thing for a while?

I hear Eva music all the time on variety shows/etc. but hearing it in Pokémon feels strange.

edit: maybe it’s not the next episode song, but it’s definitely from the series nah, that’s it

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 25, 2021

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fly Ricky posted:

I’m watching Pokémon with my son and they’re playing that song that runs behind the “coming next episode” previews in the original series. Has that been a thing for a while?

I hear Eva music all the time on variety shows/etc. but hearing it in Pokémon feels strange.

edit: maybe it’s not the next episode song, but it’s definitely from the series nah, that’s it

You can even hear Eva music in James Bond films

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKCEiNk198E

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Are we going to talk about how we didn't get the fan service misato promised

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

We did, though. And plenty of it. It's been one of people's regular complaints, even.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i finally got around to seeing this

it sucked.

to elaborate slightly i really liked the first 1/3 or so, everything up to and including Rei realizing she was going to die, but making her peace with it. i never thought i'd say that -- the horrible fate that Rei is left to was the biggest sore point I had with the original series, but here the bittersweet ending actually feels like an incredibly real and honest conclusion to her character arc instead of her just kind of being forgotten and abandoned to eternal loneliness outside of time.

then everything after that is just a 50/50 mash of technobabble, trite sentimentality, and characters staring at the camera explaining their motivations. what little of it actually works is almost completely redundant with EoE. it's like a Reader's Digest version of a better movie.

there were a few small unique/original details i appreciated after the parts in the commune -- Misato finally, genuinely relating to Shinji as a foster parent was great, and the Shinji / Mari pairing is kind of funny as a way to conclude the shipping wars even if it doesn't really thematically stand on its own. but that's two brief moments in nearly an hour and a half of the movie, and only one of them is, like, an actual serious scene, the other's basically a gag.

the constant, gratuitous nudity of functionally-teenaged characters isn't great either. i realize that's a criticism you could level at the original series as well, and maybe i'm just more sensitive to this stuff as i age or less charitable because of how much i disliked the story around it, but the way the camera leers at Mari and Asuka is grotesque in a way I don't think TV Evangelion generally was.

thematically, the film actually validates an argument i made way back in the day in this thread about Shinji's culpability for his actions, his intent, and how even if he hosed up he hosed up in the process of saving all of humanity again and again. but i don't really feel positive about being right; it's more like the film just rubber-stamped my opinion than that it actually grappled with the question. it doesn't do the opposing argument any justice.

overall: i was prepared to be angry, frustrated, or sad with the final conclusion of Evangelion as a series. i was not prepared to be bored

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 25, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also shoutouts to the guy who correctly predicted like seven or eight years ago with only 1.0 and 2.0 for context that asuka and rei were both clones this time around

i'm not sure if he was also right about Mari or not but that's still a hell of a call

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

Seeing as how that just got a mod perma’d yesterday, it’s probably for the best that we didn’t :v:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i finally got around to seeing this

During the wait for 3+1, I pretty much figured the direction 3+1 would go this direction, it was the only real conclusion for series that the series and films were a cycle, that it was all about Annos message/Shinjis growth with the robots as a background. It was a story which really didn't need to be retold, but was ....more so for closure on a few different levels (also to hard sell the point Anno was trying to make). I also still would argue the Mari thing at the end is perfect, we don't even know if Shinji hooked up with her... and that is not what matters, it is not the point of that scene. I also personally love they had every character grow up, a very not so subtle message about the state of Anime to fans

I liked and disliked it for many reasons, but tbh I am just glad there has been closure for the parts that never were given.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/shiburingaru321/status/1430465100134027266?s=20

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

the one thing that no one has mentioned yet and really bothers me is that they changed shinji's va to a more masculine one for that last scene at the train station

like i get the idea is to show that he's a changed person and an adult now but it implies a grown up shinji should be manlier which is a disservice to the excellent work megumi ogata was doing five minutes prior portraying a mature shinji and also torpedoes the trans mtf shinji reading which i thought was a really nice take on the character

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
By more masculine, do you mean deeper? Because he's like ten years older in that scene. Most guys get deeper voices better 13 and 23.

I think adult, magically self actualized Shinji being a guy does more to conflict with a trans reading than any voice change.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

the one thing that no one has mentioned yet and really bothers me is that they changed shinji's va to a more masculine one for that last scene at the train station

like i get the idea is to show that he's a changed person and an adult now but it implies a grown up shinji should be manlier which is a disservice to the excellent work megumi ogata was doing five minutes prior portraying a mature shinji and also torpedoes the trans mtf shinji reading which i thought was a really nice take on the character

Sounds like you’re just upset because you had completely different read on the character than Anno himself does

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GimmickMan posted:

I'm not sure if I'd say it bothered me but it did kind of feel like a weird choice even if it's justified. I would have preferred hearing Ogata trying to do it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The point of the scene is that Shinji has grown up. It would be strange for his voice not to have broken.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

I like this idea but would also say you can draw this on almost everyone in the series as different reactions to Evangelion. Asuka, Karowu and Ms. Lookalike are also Evangelion fans. Mari is a healthy person looking at Eva as good fun without the baggage others come to it with. Kaworu is obsessed with Eva to an unhealthy degree and has a hard time with letting it change. Asuka is abusive but is also right on the mark about the problems of Eva. Ms. Lookalike is the new fan experiencing it all for the first time with Rebuild with childlike confusion. Rei in Eva-01 maybe is the fan who has been supportive all along and never really left though it seemed like they did.

I mentioned this in my big effortpost earlier, but the end of 2.22 is Anno making eps 25-26, the beginning of 3.33 is everyone angry at Anno for doing that (presumably the internet trolls are included) and the end of 3.33 is Kaworu convincing Anno to make End of Eva.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I think a lot of people have to come to terms with the fact that Anno made this about himself and reading him as trans when he's a 60 year old man who could be your father is probably not going to go so well.

Nonetheless you can be non-binary and have had your voice crack, I think the fact that Hikaru Uteda was able to come out as non binary while discussing Eva 3.0+1.0's release with Anno does mean that sometimes maybe you still present as your assigned gender but are androgynous in other ways. Which works for Shinji and Anno. I think reading Shinji as a trans woman? Not really something I ever did myself (that doesn't stop me from liking the idea mind) but non-binary makes more sense to who their personality is. And it's interesting having the VA in the various interviews basically say "He's a perfect mix of boy and girl." in reference to Anno and since this is really about Anno, it makes sense to see that as an extension of Shinji's character.

So yeah I probably should have more to say about Shinji being Anno and how that relates to my experience as a trans woman who saw eva while deeply in the closet but honestly I think it's easier for me to compartmentalize it as his story and his coming to terms with things and not my story to read in place of it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Sounds like you’re just upset because you had completely different read on the character than Anno himself does

you're being weirdly confrontational about the last part of my post and ignoring the rest. i'm not upset, i just don't like it. i don't read shinji as trans personally, but i did like that it was a reasonable take before this. i also think ogata deserved to have the closing line. like, so much of the movie is about getting closure for anno, and ogata carried the role for 20+ years so this feels like she's getting snubbed at the end, even if it is realistic for his voice to be different.

Weird BIAS posted:

I think a lot of people have to come to terms with the fact that Anno made this about himself and reading him as trans when he's a 60 year old man who could be your father is probably not going to go so well.

Nonetheless you can be non-binary and have had your voice crack, I think the fact that Hikaru Uteda was able to come out as non binary while discussing Eva 3.0+1.0's release with Anno does mean that sometimes maybe you still present as your assigned gender but are androgynous in other ways. Which works for Shinji and Anno. I think reading Shinji as a trans woman? Not really something I ever did myself (that doesn't stop me from liking the idea mind) but non-binary makes more sense to who their personality is. And it's interesting having the VA in the various interviews basically say "He's a perfect mix of boy and girl." in reference to Anno and since this is really about Anno, it makes sense to see that as an extension of Shinji's character.

So yeah I probably should have more to say about Shinji being Anno and how that relates to my experience as a trans woman who saw eva while deeply in the closet but honestly I think it's easier for me to compartmentalize it as his story and his coming to terms with things and not my story to read in place of it.

this, on the other hand, is a good post. i think a lot of 4.0's merits and flaws hinge on it being anno wanting to get closure for himself, so i can agree with pretty much all of this.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Weird BIAS posted:

i'm not very invested in the trans shinji reading but i have always disliked the Evangelion-as-metanarrative reading, i thought (and think) that it's narcissistic and shallow, that what Evangelion has to say about Evangelion is far less interesting than what it has to say about war or family or gender relations, etc.

prior to this i would also have said that it wasn't a well-supported reading, but no, after this movie i have to admit the Rebuilds (at least) are 100% gunning for that

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GimmickMan posted:

??? Shinji is just older and naturally has a deeper voice, this (to me) has nothing to do with masculinity, it's just the way vocal cords work. It would be pretty weird if he had the same voice at 14 than at 20+, Goku he ain't.

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure if I'd say it bothered me but it did kind of feel like a weird choice even if it's justified. I would have preferred hearing Ogata trying to do it.

Yeah, having her going for it would have been nice. But it's not like this kinda thing would have not crossed their minds so there must be a good reason for having another VA.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 25, 2021

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Rei stuck in Unit 01, hoping for the best but not having a voice in the flame wars, is definitely the fan who went on media/forum/discussion blackout until the whole thing finished, never sent hate mail, and was always going to approach things in a sensible way at the end, where they're just happy there's a happy-esque ending at all. That's why Anno gave her the most favorable 'assessment' at the end.

Those are the ones who'll be lifers who get their kids into the series (like DBZ is now among older millenials), because they weren't ran off by his various choices here. Hence Rei holding the baby at the end. Someone complaining on Youtube compared this to Rise of Skywalker, and I agree.

I also love RoS. :unsmith:

Edit:

It devastates me that Rei 2 never got to have her super wholesome luncheon, in a way that very, very few things have.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 25, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dishwasher posted:

I also love RoS. :unsmith:
That's the most hosed thing I've ever read in Evachat

trucutru posted:

But it's not like this kinda thing would have not crossed their minds so there must be a good reason for having another VA.
It drives home that Shinj is literally a new person here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's obviously the start of another timeline and let's do the Eva Warp again