Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Everything is chugging along in my neck of the woods, Tiny Man is spending his time with the Big Birds now and doing very well, though he still sometimes jumpkicks ducks in the face and gets his feathers pulled for his trouble.

My special girl is also doing very well and still melting my heart on the regular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWBAOz5ofg0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

BHB posted:

Everything is chugging along in my neck of the woods, Tiny Man is spending his time with the Big Birds now and doing very well, though he still sometimes jumpkicks ducks in the face and gets his feathers pulled for his trouble.
:neckbeard: tiny man!

quote:

My special girl is also doing very well and still melting my heart on the regular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWBAOz5ofg0
:kimchi: she loves you so much! that's amazing

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

what a sweet girl :3:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
What a sweetie! I also really love that duck. :3:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ah!

Straw is so much nicer for them. Look at them burrow and snuggle.

idk what she was doing but she looks very fierce and/or turkeyed up

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 21, 2021

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

so lovely 🥰

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i adore them :qq: they look healthy, happy, and relieved to have ended up somewhere so peaceful and well-furnished!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Quails are just eternal chicken chicks arent they. That wonderful point where they're small but can fly and so curious.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

ChaseSP posted:

Quails are just eternal chicken chicks arent they. That wonderful point where they're small but can fly and so curious.
essentially yes! plus they have huge startle reflexes and also the natural escape artistry of a rodent :argh:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

If you would like to behold all 8 of my tiny flock, here is the form where I am taking name suggestions: https://forms.gle/eKWUrHUcLHhCJt2h7

Some small health challenges right now. A couple of poopy toes that have been hard to clean off -- we're working on it through warm soaks and gentle rubs, but I don't want to stress them too much. One has a missing toenail (number 5), and the last one has a...what do you call it when their foot kind of curls? It's more sideways than flat. :( Poor little things. The poopfoot is new, the sideways foot has not gotten better since arrival. Not sure about the toenail.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i love them and have submitted my questionable names

i hope the feets get better soon

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Those are very cute names! :kimchi: And thank you, poopfoot is easy enough to fix but I am keeping a close eye on the other issues.

Anyone inspired is welcome to make suggestions

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

my cat is norris posted:

Anyone inspired is welcome to make suggestions
Names sent!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

spookygonk posted:

Names sent!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I have submitted names after getting distracted by how precious they are :kimchi:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Comet is getting there. She uncurls her toes when I pick her up and she is starting to walk better. All the other hens are picking on her so we separate her first thing in the morning to make sure she is eating and drinking enough and put her back in the coop at night.

Edit: She is pooping normally and still laying eggs.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Enfys posted:

I adopted three new battery hens over the weekend, and Chips, the oldest of my current flock, has not stopped yelling about it except to sleep.

How are the new hens doing and has Chips calmed down now?

Alterian posted:

Comet is getting there. She uncurls her toes when I pick her up and she is starting to walk better. All the other hens are picking on her so we separate her first thing in the morning to make sure she is eating and drinking enough and put her back in the coop at night.

Yay, Comet!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Comet is such a beautiful girl!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Alterian posted:

Comet is getting there.
:neckbeard:

I made the 1700 mile, 2 day trip to Georgia this weekend. I moved 17 chickens, and boy do 17 chickens in a van stink!
Day 1:

Day 2: sound on
https://youtube.com/shorts/a0d29iUbwUw

Everyone made it. Even though I replaced the towels every 200 miles, there was still poop everywhere and we all stunk.

Here’s the new coop:

And here’s the neighborhood guineas. I don’t know who they belong to but they spent last night in our trees.
https://youtu.be/rcU_hac807o

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i am delighted for all of you, and especially impressed with joburg's flock migration! 1700 miles! they made it :h:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

the raven chick has grown up into a hungry and suspicious* teenager. they are easily recognisable because something got hold of the central feathers of their tail at some point, so they have a fork like a swallow or mermaid. i haven't named them yet. the next stage of development is furious and defiant young adulthood, and then they mellow out and get ready to start nesting, at which point they calmly murder my quail and the cycle continues

but i'm ending the cycle, because the drat things more than enough mice, rats and backyard bbqs available that my quail will never be the difference between life and death and i must not let them make me feel guilty about it

*ravens have to be suspicious, or humans catch them and try to keep them as pets

perepelki fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 23, 2021

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thank you for the help with naming these cuties. :kimchi:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

my cat is norris posted:

<bibbit>

Thank you for the help with naming these cuties. :kimchi:
:kimchi: excellent names all around

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
good names for good birds

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

wrong account lol

oh well, my point still stands! i'm excited to see what the future holds for the new flock :unsmith:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Such well named, majestic Borbs. :kimchi: :respek: :derptiel:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

spookygonk posted:

How are the new hens doing and has Chips calmed down now?

The new hens are settling in pretty well now and the flock is integrated. There's still a bit of squabbling, but the new hens are very good fliers and will just flap out of reach. I'm going to build a more interesting playground for them since they seem particularly enamored with being able to clamber about different logs and platforms and love their newfound ability to fly more than any of my previous adoptees.

Chips spent a surprisingly long time losing her mind over the existence of the new hens. One sunny afternoon, one of the new hens finally discovered dust bathing and soon they were all at it. Chips couldn't resist a good dust bath, and she was unable to continue yelling while dust bathing (though she did try to maintain a warbling grumble until she got properly settled in to her spot).

That seemed to break her out of her incandescent rage stage, but for the next 10 days or so when she would come out of the coop in the morning and see that they hadn't vanished overnight, she would express her displeasure at their continued existence by yelling for a couple hours.

The other day, the smallest of the new girls discovered a brilliant new way to get treats without being chased away by the bigger and bolder hens: she just flapped directly into my arms, much to my surprise ( :rip: my forearm). I have to admire her ingenuity in ensuring she gets first pick of the treats, but I was less amused yesterday when I went out with an armload of freshly washed laundry to hang up on the clothesline and she jumped up onto it :argh:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Love the quail names of course :kimchi: They are all perfect. Each and every one.

Enfys posted:

The other day, the smallest of the new girls discovered a brilliant new way to get treats without being chased away by the bigger and bolder hens: she just flapped directly into my arms, much to my surprise ( :rip: my forearm). I have to admire her ingenuity in ensuring she gets first pick of the treats, but I was less amused yesterday when I went out with an armload of freshly washed laundry to hang up on the clothesline and she jumped up onto it :argh:

I mean on the one hand, yeah I can see this not being amusing. On the other hand there is a chicken and that's delightful.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Enfys posted:

< chickens being delightful >

🥰

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Joburg posted:

:neckbeard:

I made the 1700 mile, 2 day trip to Georgia this weekend. I moved 17 chickens, and boy do 17 chickens in a van stink!

Yeah when we move we're looking at 1000-1200 miles. I'm killing every poultry I have because nobody wants 3-6 year old birds for anything but the stew pot (which is fine, but a lot of these people don't know what the hell they're doing. I wouldn't mind it if a processor was interested but giving them to Matilda Anne with a brick ain't my bag) before we leave here because I'm sure as hell not doing that. They'll be great dog food, assuming they don't just pass naturally between now and then.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Yeah when we move we're looking at 1000-1200 miles. I'm killing every poultry I have because nobody wants 3-6 year old birds for anything but the stew pot (which is fine, but a lot of these people don't know what the hell they're doing. I wouldn't mind it if a processor was interested but giving them to Matilda Anne with a brick ain't my bag) before we leave here because I'm sure as hell not doing that. They'll be great dog food, assuming they don't just pass naturally between now and then.

Yeah, I killed/gave away/sold a lot of my birds beforehand. There were just some I preferred to bring with me, like my broody hens. I did give away a lot of chicken meat too. At the height of the summer I had 105 chickens so I was doing well to winnow it down to 17. :)

The 6 feral guineas may kind of belong to me. The previous-owners-once-removed raised them and released them apparently, and they do roost in our trees most nights. They are pretty entertaining.

https://youtu.be/7sL-_iw-ZPI

The fence was off while I was out there and I moved the bowl out for the guineas after this. I am going to tame them any day now! :3:

Joburg fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 25, 2021

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i wish i was in america, i would give anything to buy some freshly butchered meat birds from various of you, i'd travel interstate to do it (but not across the world)

tailfeathers don't grow back quickly, so the idiot child raven still has a pronounced fork in their tail. their name is ariel, nicknamed the little mermaid. today they turned up with another raven. it's hard to keep all the ravens straight because they're impossible to tell apart but the newcomer looked small and lean like the little mermaid, and they sat in the almond tree preening each other as i was gathering bedding for the quail. love may be in the air

egret, moose and scrubtit all went through a full moult after the tragedy. moose sailed through it, but egret and scrubtit shed very hard and looked extremely miserable for a few days from combined discomfort and grief. luckily the days are warming up now, so they have sunshine to take their minds off what they have lost. the dead stay with us forever

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

moose sits in the exact same place in the daytime cage every day for hours on end. i was worried it meant she was distressed or unhappy in there, but when i check on her she glows serenely and slow-blinks at me, so i think she's just a goon of a bird

i've rethought my position, and although i'm still not hatching any more chicks for at least a year, i am not in fact done with quail, nor are they done with me.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

perepelki posted:

moose sits in the exact same place in the daytime cage every day for hours on end. i was worried it meant she was distressed or unhappy in there, but when i check on her she glows serenely and slow-blinks at me, so i think she's just a goon of a bird

i've rethought my position, and although i'm still not hatching any more chicks for at least a year, i am not in fact done with quail, nor are they done with me.

Moose just knows what's good in life. Safety, warmth, a full belly and a nice place to nap/nest.

Wise Moose.

I'm glad to hear you haven't given up on quail. I hope you can go forward and have more happy experiences with them. Hopefully fewer ravens fed, even if they are also cute.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chaosfeather posted:

Moose just knows what's good in life. Safety, warmth, a full belly and a nice place to nap/nest.

Wise Moose.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I spent practically the whole weekend working on my coop. Our coop is actually two ready-made coops bolted together, but the older, larger one was falling apart at the seams. Now that we only have two hens they don't need a big coop anyway. When I took the roof off, well, there was an entire ant colony in there.

The irony is that the actual roof panel and shingles were still in good shape, while the overall structure was falling apart from the ground up. Meanwhile, the newer, smaller coop was basically stable but the roof was rotting away. I ended up making a Frankenstein monster with the roof panels from the older one on the structure of the newer one. I finally bought a circular saw, so I was able to take good pieces of wood from the old coop and cut them to length to create more vertical studs.

Another, possibly controversial change is that I put a wire floor in the coop; I just turned the whole thing on its side and tacked quarter-inch wire to the entire bottom. It's already covered in straw and diatomaceous earth and will pretty soon have a soil cover over it, so no risk to the hens' feet while keeping predators out. I made a mistake after a raccoon killed Mercury and put a double layer of wire on every exterior panel, one tacked to the inside and one to the outside. A layer of wire, an inch of space, and another layer of wire seemed like the perfect way to stop predators from reaching through the wire and grabbing them. It didn't occur to me that the chickens would kick up fragments of dirt and straw that would get caught between the layers of wire and be unable to fall out, so I cut a slit at the bottom on the exterior wire panel this time.

The little roof on top of the laying boxes wasn't in good shape either. It lifts off so that you can get eggs easily, but the swelling and shrinking of wood over time prevented the latch from closing properly and created gaps that a weasal could get into or that could potentially allow a raccoon to lift the roof off. I actually made a sort of dome out of wire and set the little roof on top of that. I also shingled it with some spare shingles I had in the basement. In the end, the only things I had to buy were a new pair of wire cutters and some staples. And I had to spend most of my weekend crawling around in the mud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
That sounds like a good renovation. Hope your ladies are pleased as punch about it :)

I need to get up on the roof of the coop and sweep it off but I haven’t bought a big ladder yet :effort:

I got a call from the state of Georgia that I need to get my Wyoming chickens tested for Avian Influenza, etc. Turns out that I can just get NPIP certified at the same time, yay! I expected the testing when I had to get a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection before we left Wyoming but that was just a short visit to see if anybirdie looked sick. It will be nice to have confirmation that they are all healthy, even though I haven’t had any problems with this group. Two of the 5-month old leghorns even started laying eggs this week!