Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Radirot posted:

whats the name for this mythical place

East side Seattle burbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I believe in the prophet Feigl-Ding, in the gospels of 3M and Honeywell

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

ummmmm it might get really grim in florida soon

https://www.wmfe.org/survey-68-florida-hospitals-have-less-than-48-hours-worth-of-oxygen/188797

the way this went in india was total chaos after hospitals lost oxygen. families and people started buying oxygen and oxygen cylinders themselves and driving to have them filled, taken to the hospital, etc. people fought over it and there were almost certainly slayings or deaths from it.

poo poo's going to get wild in an american state when the same happens and 12 gauge ammo is cheaper and more available than oxygen cylinders

Americans are getting a taste of the political and social chaos our government unleashes on "rogue states" that resist being economically exploited in the name of our freedoms and I for one am glad of it

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
lol not a single back to school ad involves masks

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mod sassinator posted:

https://www.wmfe.org/survey-68-florida-hospitals-have-less-than-48-hours-worth-of-oxygen/188797

the way this went in india was total chaos after hospitals lost oxygen. families and people started buying oxygen and oxygen cylinders themselves and driving to have them filled, taken to the hospital, etc. people fought over it and there were almost certainly slayings or deaths from it.

poo poo's going to get wild in an american state when the same happens and 12 gauge ammo is cheaper and more available than oxygen cylinders

in a way, the entire planet is also running out of oxygen

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

it's happening again
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56841381

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

The Oldest Man posted:

Pretty hard to tell how much of that is logistics capacity that could be solved by moving people around or having the national guard drive trucks but I'll tell you what, if the oxygen supply does actually fail, the number of deaths is going to totally fail to shock people at all and nothing will be done, actually. I'm serious. People are going to nod sadly as they're informed that their family member died due to respiratory failure cough exacerbated by lack of oxygen and then go home. I'm not saying there won't be mass death on an unimaginable scale I'm saying our apparatus to suppress public rage is the only functioning thing left in this hell country and people will shut up or they'll be shut up.

yeah i don't disagree. also months of nonstop media harping on "look only unvaccinated people are getting sick! only the bad people are suffering! don't be a bad person!" will make something outrageous like 5,000 florida deaths in a week not even raise an eyebrow

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

mod sassinator posted:

like how the gently caress did we give every loving rightwing grifter who could form a LLC a PPP loan for new boats and cars and vacation homes, but we couldn't make a loving grant program so that a parent of a working household could take a 1 year family medical leave completely paid for entirely by the government

wait is that why I keep seeing all these brodozers driving around pulling massive boats???

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Radirot posted:

lol not a single back to school ad involves masks

masks are too depressing and also make 35% of the country fly into an incoherent rage

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/BenedictBrook/status/1430665843700948993?s=20

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
also if desantis has to call in the national guard to drive oxygen around, he will definitely punish and gently caress over miami

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

also it has leveled off in King

that drop at the end probably isn’t real though, but the flattish area probably is.

so 70% + vaxxed, a touch of the fear, with mandated masks for anything indoors looks to be what has to happen to get r0 down.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Bar Ran Dun posted:

that drop at the end probably isn’t real though, but the flattish area probably is.

so 70% + vaxxed, a touch of the fear, with mandated masks for anything indoors looks to be what has to happen to get r0 down.

now we open schools :getin:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1430577447179890693?s=20

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Bar Ran Dun posted:

no worries covid, schools open up in a week, you got this

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Tzen posted:

it's happening again

Learning to live with the virus is coded language for learning to accept wave after wave of mass death. Maybe it'll mean something different eventually but not any time soon.

mod sassinator posted:

yeah i don't disagree. also months of nonstop media harping on "look only unvaccinated people are getting sick! only the bad people are suffering! don't be a bad person!" will make something outrageous like 5,000 florida deaths in a week not even raise an eyebrow

"Pandemic of the unvaccinated" was just teeing up the notion that mass death is fine, actually, and we can just go about our business and ignore it. Anyone saying that vaccinated people can get sick and die can be shouted down as antivax, and anybody who actually tried to do a riot over their relatives dying in droves will be shot in the head with a CS canister as is tradition.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

LA seems to be doing okayish with masked schools and they have higher community spread I think.

we will know by the end of next week though.

I mean camps have been ongoing slammed full all summer with no noticeable difference.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I'm ready to buy this is a real trend now. Good thing for Delta the "virtual pilot" for SPS is a load of trash and they're effectively forcing everyone to go back in person.

Had a neighbor come up and ask me what respirator I'm using and where she can get one. :unsmith:

She goes back to 30 elementary age kids in an unventilated room in a week and is scared. :smith:

e: if mask compliance is really good and a lot of the kids are wearing filtering respirators (lord knows a bunch of people I know have asked me where to get kid-sized kf94s) then maybe we'll just pucker through this and stay on the "everyone doesn't die" side of Rt.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
let's see

if the Florida hospital systems oxygen supply is due to run out within the next 48 hours, that's August 28

symptomatic COVID on average hits within five days, so backtracking from the 28th puts us at August 23 as the stop-line for when most of these people would have been infected at the latest

it takes two weeks for vaccination to fully set, so backtracking from August 23 puts us at August 9 for when people should have been given their second shot

CDC guidance says a 21-day interval between the first and second shot, so backtracking from August 9 puts us at July 21 for when people should have been given their first shot

Florida was 47.9% fully-vaccinated as of July 21

what I'm trying to get at here was that all of these hospitalizations were effectively locked-in if you're only looking at vaccination as the way out of this pandemic

you can't vaccinate your way out of a surge that's already happening because the vaccines have a lead time of over a month

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I believe in the prophet Feigl-Ding, in the gospels of 3M and Honeywell

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SPS is really sucking compared to the burbs school districts.

we will know if the models that worked on OG covid for schools work on delta soon enough.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

gradenko_2000 posted:

you can't vaccinate your way out of a surge that's already happening because the vaccines have a lead time of over a month

ok but can I vaccinated myself to brunch???

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

When they change the water treatment process because they are out of oxygen can they swap in a tanker of Pfizer plz.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

drat, look at some of those idiotic replies.

i met one of those morons a few weeks ago. brains like peeled orange. just flies buzzing as they lay eggs in the exposed fruit segments.

WA has a giant mining industry that has been going on uninterrupted and at least partly responsible for number being fine. imagine looking at how well we're doing and wishing we'd open our borders to the zerg spawning pit in NSW. loving morons

crepeface fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 26, 2021

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

oh no anything but my precious direct flights from perth to london,

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The Oldest Man posted:

Learning to live with the virus is coded language for learning to accept wave after wave of mass death. Maybe it'll mean something different eventually but not any time soon.

"Pandemic of the unvaccinated" was just teeing up the notion that mass death is fine, actually, and we can just go about our business and ignore it. Anyone saying that vaccinated people can get sick and die can be shouted down as antivax, and anybody who actually tried to do a riot over their relatives dying in droves will be shot in the head with a CS canister as is tradition.

Honestly it seems like pretty much everyone outside this thread internalized and became fully accustomed to mass death almost immediately

A Gin Palace
Feb 12, 2013

lol

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Vox Nihili posted:

Honestly it seems like pretty much everyone outside this thread internalized and became fully accustomed to mass death almost immediately

as long as you dont take away my applebees happy hour

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Sphyre posted:

oh no anything but my precious direct flights from perth to london,

lol i know right

suck my dick qantas

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mod sassinator posted:

it's kind of scary when the government and CDC in particular turn this fast on guidance :tinfoil:

what do they know that hasn't come out

good news to get those boosties though

nothing we haven't been saying ITT for months I bet, we've just gotten so inured to staring at the data right there and nobody acting on it that "anyone else actually doing something about it" feels weird and unnatural

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

it's been a few centuries late tbh

quote:

The discovery of gold and silver in America, the extirpation, enslavement and entombment in mines of the aboriginal population, the beginning of the conquest and looting of the East Indies, the turning of Africa into a warren for the commercial hunting of black-skins, signalised the rosy dawn of the era of capitalist production.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1430578176401498124?s=20

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

as long as you dont take away my applebees happy hour

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Vox Nihili posted:

Alright we've removed enough boomers

We can stop now

sorry, looks like the system locked up and it won’t detect my alt+f4 anymore

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

like how the gently caress did we give every loving rightwing grifter who could form a LLC a PPP loan for new boats and cars and vacation homes, but we couldn't make a loving grant program so that a parent of a working household could take a 1 year family medical leave completely paid for entirely by the government

I mean, you probably know this, but for the same reason we're never going to get another stimulus check: the meager amount the US govt gave people was resoundingly successful in keeping people out of poverty, which made people reconsider whether they want to work 3 jobs for starvation wages. Businesses are enraged that no one wants to work for minimum wage anymore, they require a large population of desperate people constantly teetering on the edge of ruin who can't afford to turn down any job offer.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

hmmmmmmmmm

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
weird how the media loves to prop up STURGIS SUPERSPREADING (even though it is technically true) but Lollaappalloozzaa just gets away with some extremely dubious math that lets the Chicago Democrats off the hook

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

man I fuckin hate some of the idiots that live in this country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

ram dass in hell posted:

How much of that increase in kids behavioral issues came from realizing that society is hosed and culture is hosed and government is hosed and there's no such thing as a grown up and there's no such thing as help coming and there's no such thing as things getting better lol

lmao