Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

ulmont posted:

Counterpoint: Uprooted never grabbed me enough to buy and Spinning Silver bored me to the point of not finishing it...

...but I really liked A Deadly Education.

Yeah it was my #1 Novik personally. Also pretty good timing since the sequel is out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ulmont posted:

Counterpoint: Uprooted never grabbed me enough to buy and Spinning Silver bored me to the point of not finishing it...

...but I really liked A Deadly Education.

More or less the same, I haven't done Uprooted yet, but Temeraire bored me into quitting, Spinning Silver didn't get until the third try, but A Deadly Education sucked me in immediately. It's very strongly taste dependent which Novik you like.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I really loved Uprooted. Seems there might be a Novik for everyone!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Every Novik book I’ve read felt very plot heavy. Like cool world building, clever ideas, enjoyable read, but after a while just goes on and on. And they aren’t even that long in page count.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Doctor Jeep posted:

if this is snark you'll have to spell it out for me

I was trying not to spoil the plot notes of the book. Sorry for being ambiguous.

Deed of Paksenarrion is, despite its clear D&D roots, a good set of stories. I’m not being snarky at all, it’s noteworthy for taking one of the more irksome ideas from D&D, stick in the mud Lawful Good dudes who proselytize constantly and are the worst, and giving a counterexample of a compelling vision for the archetype. Paks manages to follow a code of honor, that’s internally consistent with her morality and derived from her experiences, and coexist with other people without constantly telling everyone else how bad they are for not following her code.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Doctor Jeep posted:

if this is snark you'll have to spell it out for me

It's snark at Girdish paladins, who are in fact mostly insufferable moralists.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Not the Messiah posted:

Yeah I'm very hype about finally getting around to reading the series, but I'm irrationally bummed at how...generic the UK version looks. The original cover art is so beautiful and evocative, and the UK ones just look like turbo generic fantasy book covers. Even just missing Baru Cormorant from the titles makes it seem less evocative :(

I mean not that it really matters because it's the same book at the end of the day, but these are the things I care about!

Yeah Baru Cormorant is a cool name and deserves to be on the cover

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think I liked Deadly Education the best out of the non-Temeraire Novik books just because the love interest wasn't comically older than the protagonist. That always puts me off a bit when you have a teenage girl and then a dude who's an ancient fae, or a 100+ year old wizard.

Deadly Education has 2 idiot teenagers who have a really fun dynamic instead.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Next book THE ENDS OF BARU CORMORANT or THE TERROR BARU CORMORANT? Ends is probably better but Terror fits the format…

Let’s not do that one joke for pages again.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Terror is WAY more fun and eye-catchy imo!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Terrorist Baru Cormorant

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Traitor
Monster
Tyrant
Terror

Traitor
Monster
Tyrant
Ends Of

Terror, Horror, Abomination, Murderer, Genocide, Plague

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Yep Terror is the pick.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Sibling of TB posted:

Traitor
Monster
Tyrant
Terror

Traitor
Monster
Tyrant
Ends Of

Yeah, of those two options Terror definitely feels the best, unless you're deliberately going for something that breaks the pattern.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
E - okay, no joke. Yes, Terror is good

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 27, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Terror fits the naming scheme really well

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Terror, absolutely!

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Though I've noticed people already confusing the order of Monster and Tyrant. Pretty sure Terror would also confuse people (but that is true for nearly any series so probably shouldn't be that much of a consideration).

Ends Of would be much more clearly the end, except if there is a book 5.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Terror feels better, but yeah Ends of feels a lot more terminal.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I also prefer Terror.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Everybody likes Terror better but I do sort of like how Ends breaks the pattern and says "this one's the last one fucko." Also it's a neat dual meaning, whereas Terror is pretty direct...

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Everybody likes Terror better but I do sort of like how Ends breaks the pattern and says "this one's the last one fucko." Also it's a neat dual meaning, whereas Terror is pretty direct...

The Terminator Baru Cormorant.

(Okay okay maybe not that.)

I think I’d prefer Terror over Ends of, but can see the argument for Ends.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
I like the end as it punctuates all the trains crashing together, but I think both are good titles.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

General Battuta posted:

I like Ends a lot but I like sharp pattern changes and punnes or plays on words myself.

Velius posted:

I was trying not to spoil the plot notes of the book. Sorry for being ambiguous.

Deed of Paksenarrion is, despite its clear D&D roots, a good set of stories. I’m not being snarky at all, it’s noteworthy for taking one of the more irksome ideas from D&D, stick in the mud Lawful Good dudes who proselytize constantly and are the worst, and giving a counterexample of a compelling vision for the archetype. Paks manages to follow a code of honor, that’s internally consistent with her morality and derived from her experiences, and coexist with other people without constantly telling everyone else how bad they are for not following her code.

I really think that the big thing that makes this possible is that while it's inspired by, Moon [says she] hadn't actually played d&d yet at the time she wrote this stuff; my understanding is that she got what she did from hearing a friend talk about it. So the salient points pop out [eg, a paladin gets their horse after theyve been a paladin for a bit] but it's not really bogged down by a lot of the mechanical d&disms that this...... subgenre can really get into. Even the part that is basically a recounting of a published adventure is, hmm, not done the way people who are consciously attempting to write out that sort of thing do.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

I prefer Terror to Ends, but it does kinda blend in with the others...

The Ultimate Baru Cormorant.
The Last Baru Cormorant.
The Apotheosis of Baru Cormorant.

I haven't read the book, obviously, so I have no idea what fits.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

General Battuta posted:

Let’s not do that one joke for pages again.

*taps the sign*

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the Whoopsy Daisy of Baru Cormorant.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
+1 for Terror.

Speaking of Greg Bear, anyone read City at the End of Time? I vaguely remember it being surreal with some vaguely Neil Gaiman type characters, but I was pretty sleep deprived at the time (finishing university and working a lot at the same time) so I don’t remember how much was ~atmospheric writing~ and how much was just me, you know, losing it. :v:

Just finished a reread of Ninefox Gambit and finally got around to reading the sequels. Not really feeling the ending - I was hoping for Jedao to get reintegrated with all his memories, or use his alien-moth spacebender powers to fly off, or basically anything besides “keep on plugging along as an instructor at space assassin school”. But hey, at least Cheris gets a second chance with her culture, and the drone makes it out ok v:shobon:v
Might get Hexarchate Stories next, I could’ve swore I saw an August release date for the next KJ Parker 16 Ways sequel but it looks like it’s been pushed to January now.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

The only real local bookstore has limited selection of books in English as it is, and even fewer of them in genre fiction, plus a bad habit of for some reason carrying later books of series when at least I have never seen the first part on the shelf. Obviously I saw MONSTER (Baru Cormorant) there last year, but Traitor has never been around. Guess I'll just include it in my online book order, finally.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sibling of TB posted:

Traitor
Monster
Tyrant
Terror

Traitor
Monster
Tyrant
Ends Of

Terror, Horror, Abomination, Murderer, Genocide, Plague

Jeez, afer all that I'd say Baru Cormorant could do with Hugs

Hugs
Back Pats
Vacations
Beach side umbrella drinks

e. not sure if this qualifies as "that one joke" being somewhat new to the thread, apologies if so.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Traitor, Terror, Monster, Spy

mewse
May 2, 2006

General Battuta posted:

To me Terror feels more evocative where Ends feels like you're just telling me it's the end of the series. Feels like naming it "Baru: The Final Chapter". I know this doesn't take into account the clever wordplay of Ends but I wouldn't notice that (I am not clever). Another vote for Terror

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I imagine that it's a reference to both "ends" as the conclusions of her life and/or various roles she has played and "ends" as goals or objectives. Or maybe her hair has split ends.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The last book is the ends that she hopes will justify her means of getting there.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I feel like there's an irony to the titles and how they relate to Baru's development in each book so I suppose it depends on how terrible she is/n't in the final book

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Traitor
Monster
Tyrant

Scourge
Terminus
Master
Omega

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Ultimate works, unless you are planning a mega book containing all the books so far, then you might wanna hold onto that one.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Second !

The Ultimate Baru Cormorant would be a fantastic title for an omnibus.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Fucker Baru Cormorant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I like the extra meanings of Ends of, but even the then I prefer The Terror, to me there is some "power" in sticking to the pattern all the way to the end. Breaking the pattern almost makes it seem like a separate thing or a spin-off.

Also not a fan of using Ultimate for a collection, seems way too complicated, the simpler The Complete Baru Cormorant would IMO be a better choice if it comes to that.