Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Just got around to watching this, it's pretty cute seeing Adam getting blown away by the pre-assembled frame parts that come on the runners. The PG MK-II that I'm building has that for the fingers, Bandai has been doing those for at least 20 years at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Veotax posted:

Just got around to watching this, it's pretty cute seeing Adam getting blown away by the pre-assembled frame parts that come on the runners. The PG MK-II that I'm building has that for the fingers, Bandai has been doing those for at least 20 years at this point.

It's his first Gundam, so he has no idea what the state of the art is. I just finished building that kit, it's truly something special and I have done one with the fingers, so I'm inclined to cut him some slack.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I kinda want to see Adam dive into 30mm kits, just to see what he puts together.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The GM team

I forgot to take a pic before starting the GM Sniper Custom so rip. Borrowed the huge sniper rifle from my system weapons kits and those hands kept falling apart from the weight. It also revealed the weaknesses of the underlying Origin/MSD GM that these three kits are based off of. Despite basically being the same kit three times with different skins, they were still fun builds.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

mllaneza posted:

It's his first Gundam, so he has no idea what the state of the art is. I just finished building that kit, it's truly something special and I have done one with the fingers, so I'm inclined to cut him some slack.

Oh yeah, I get it. But the guy does a ton of maker stuff and other plastic models I'm sure. I'm surprised he's never seen anything like it, is Bandai the only company doing that kind of thing?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

wdarkk posted:

Huh, that's very inconvenient for me, since I've been doing just that.

Same. The order combining was mainly why I bought stuff yesterday, too. Oops.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Started and finished Barbatos Lupus Rex today.
Why does one of the runners have a whole bunch of parts that aren't meant to be used? Is it like those Marvel figures that come with a part you're supposed to combine into a different character?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Started and finished Barbatos Lupus Rex today.
Why does one of the runners have a whole bunch of parts that aren't meant to be used? Is it like those Marvel figures that come with a part you're supposed to combine into a different character?

Not quite.

Some Gundam kits are remolds, where parts from one design get reused alongside new parts. Some of the parts that don't get reused are often left in the box since it's simpler than removing them from the runners in advance.

IBO has a lot of part reuse, so there's going to be leftovers on usual designs, like the Rex's massive arms.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Detective No. 27 posted:

Why does one of the runners have a whole bunch of parts that aren't meant to be used?

I'm guessing it was a runner meant for Barbatos Lupus. Bandai typically will throw entire runners into a kit even if you only need a few pieces off it since that's still cheaper than making an entire new mold for said pieces.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It can get wild sometimes. I swear I can make half of another gundam with the leftovers from the gm dominance

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Yeah, Lupus Rex comes with a good chunk of arms and chest parts left over from sprue reuse.

I'm not sure why I even have this. It's all the colors of the excrement rainbow and I don't dig that.

Oh yeah, it was the cannon that would turn Megatron green with envy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SpikeMcclane posted:

Yeah, Lupus Rex comes with a good chunk of arms and chest parts left over from sprue reuse.

I'm not sure why I even have this. It's all the colors of the excrement rainbow and I don't dig that.

Oh yeah, it was the cannon that would turn Megatron green with envy.

How is this kit, by the way? I've been interested in getting one but I wasn't sure if it was an ace or if it has some glaring issues.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Felt like a pretty bog standard and basic post All Gundam Project HG to me. Nothing particularly good or bad that I noticed other than some balance issues with the cannon, but that was to be expected.

Edit: actually, let me change that. The butt flap is huge and static, so leg articulation ends up real limited.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Went with koto this time.

Still a lot of work to do, especially with the customization parts but I don’t have any materials right now!

Next is frame arms girl stylet.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

El Burbo posted:

It can get wild sometimes. I swear I can make half of another gundam with the leftovers from the gm dominance

From what I've seen of the MG FAZZ ver ka you can pretty much make a regular ZZ from all the spare parts.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This live shopping event is really something else. Best of the Worst tier content.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/1431419846911086598

Nthing the recommendation for the RG eva series. bandai did a great adapting the biological features of the eva, particularly the hip/groin and forearms which move far more humanlike manner than any of the gundam plamo

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Next submission, the G-Self Perfect pack with an action base. This actually came with a little base but that wasn't part of what I said I'd build.

It has entirely too many stickers, its super tragic such a great design is stuck in this subpar HG. All the blue bits were supposed to be sticker and I used a metallic marker for that and the yellow look at the inner arms and where the sideburns would be on the head. The little red lightning bolts are a marker as well. The forehead is also markers. Unless absolutely necessary I used markers instead of the color correcting stickers.

And it looks like my next kit is....crashing the party.

Azubah fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 28, 2021

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Ez8 revive when, bandai?

As for the next kit, well, the eagle eyed may have noticed the box Ez8 is perched on isn't quite right.

One counterfeit Beargguy F, perils of buying off of Ali Express and not paying very close attention to the listing I guess. But hey, if I've got it, may as well build it. The top couple of sprues were taken out of the bag to test if a pour marker would turn them into dust, otherwise the rest are untouched. If knockoffs aren't allowed, no biggie, I'll probably be dead from inhaling whatever's in that plastic anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sykic posted:

Ez8 revive when, bandai?

It doesn't need a Revive just yet because the 2013 kit is still insanely good.

What we do need is an RG EZ8 and a desperately needed new Mastet Grade.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

El Burbo posted:

Went with koto this time.

Still a lot of work to do, especially with the customization parts but I don’t have any materials right now!

Next is frame arms girl stylet.

How complex is this doodad? I don't have enough catalog on Koto kits to score it in a vacuum.

Sykic posted:

One counterfeit Beargguy F, perils of buying off of Ali Express and not paying very close attention to the listing I guess. But hey, if I've got it, may as well build it. The top couple of sprues were taken out of the bag to test if a pour marker would turn them into dust, otherwise the rest are untouched. If knockoffs aren't allowed, no biggie, I'll probably be dead from inhaling whatever's in that plastic anyway.

If you build it, it counts.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Getting there with the PG MK-II. Always forget how big PG's feel when you're building them, these are some chunky stompers.

Enjoying the build so far, I thought the screws would be a nightmare but they're fine. The instructions aren't quite as clear as with the newer kits. I've had a couple of points where I've had to go back and take a bit of the kit apart because I had a piece in upside down. Also, it lets you put some pieces in upside down. I feel with newer kits they would key the pegs and slots differently on these kinds of pieces that you wouldn't be able to do that.
Did end up breaking some pegs in one of the arms going back to fix this, thankfully the rest of the pegs are making up for the broken ones and there is a screw in the joint helping out too.

EDIT: Sooo much dust on the lil' HG there. Going to have to dust off my MK-II collection before this one joins the rest.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Just Dan Again posted:

Got this one started and finished the same day! This is my first of the recent HG Wing series, and it was a pretty satisfying little build. Probably not going to show off the missiles and such until I have time to slap some paint on them, but it looks pretty OK with everything closed up.

Great work! I just put together an MG heavyarms and hacked up the left arm to superglue the gatling and shield in place (I'll take pics tonight when I have the time). Probably one of my favorite mobile suit designs of all time.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Finished my baclogust build finally: https://imgur.com/a/Kp7ts8c

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Finished the Crash, neat kit but there is SO much left over from all the different runners included in the kit. I hated how the camera lenses and the eyes were water decals. The front one slipped off so I used my markers again.

My next turns...are actually the last of my kits I haven't started. I have one or two in the middle of being built that I may try to complete for partial points. I have a few action bases left as well but I've more or less gone through my backlog.

Azubah fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 28, 2021

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
MG Perfectibility is up:

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2477806001002?utm_source=crm&utm_medium=auto_retention

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

El Burbo posted:

The worst for it is definitely the death brute, where you have 90% of what youd need to make a death army left on the runners

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Shadwhawk on discord mentioned the special shiny MG Deathscythe Hell's wings should be in Black 3.0, which reminded me I had the old HG in my closet.

Oh no. This is very old and very bad. The beam is not even just opaque, but all the wrong color.

I didn't stop at the wings. This HG deserves no better than a bad idea, anyways. It sucked to put together, the joints are just plain bad, and I'm now very thankful for modern design.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I saw that in the discord and it's amazing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SpikeMcclane posted:

Shadwhawk on discord mentioned the special shiny MG Deathscythe Hell's wings should be in Black 3.0, which reminded me I had the old HG in my closet.

Oh no. This is very old and very bad. The beam is not even just opaque, but all the wrong color.

I didn't stop at the wings. This HG deserves no better than a bad idea, anyways. It sucked to put together, the joints are just plain bad, and I'm now very thankful for modern design.

The Wing kits come from a pretty bleak era for Gunpla. G, Wing, 0083, and X HGs weren't just worse than the later HGUC line, but they were worse than the Victory and 0080 kits before them in the same scale.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The new Wing kits are pretty great from the few I've built.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Azubah posted:

The new Wing kits are pretty great from the few I've built.

Yep. Modern designs, solid quality. I was just talking about the 90s kits, not the new stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If there are any Hexa Gear fans, Kotobukiya has announced a ton of new Hexa Gear stuff. Some robot unicorns, big cyborg guys, and most importantly,

https://twitter.com/Kotobukiya_EN/status/1431608756538908680?s=20

They're also coming out with a complementary line of bad guys called End of Heroes.

https://twitter.com/Kotobukiya_EN/status/1431789447088164865?s=20

Also, a new GaoGaiGar

https://twitter.com/Kotobukiya_EN/status/1431803791616069635?s=20

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

They're also coming out with a complementary line of bad guys called End of Heroes.

https://twitter.com/Kotobukiya_EN/status/1431789447088164865?s=20

Click this just for the last photo in the lineup. It's worth it :allears:.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

How complex is this doodad? I don't have enough catalog on Koto kits to score it in a vacuum.

Not very complex. You build up the frame, then sandwich the armor around it. Though there are plenty of hard points for customization, I messed around with it for a bit till I settled on a configuration.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The Turn A is weird so far, I really like the sketches in the manual.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

G-Arcane makes a pretty good shmup fighter.
I thought this was going to be sticker hell like the G-Self, but it actually has good color separation.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is the RG Zaku II a good build? I already got the HG 21st Century Zaku II from P-Bandai but the RG they have seems tempting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Unlucky7 posted:

Is the RG Zaku II a good build? I already got the HG 21st Century Zaku II from P-Bandai but the RG they have seems tempting.

It's an early RG so it has some caveats. I'd recommend gluing the side skirts onto the suit because they like to pop off, and you are going to lose the grey wrist cuff pieces. And the front skirts are barely held in place with a ball joint.

It has some very cool articulation and it has a neat mechanic that rotates the mono-eye when you move the head. I'd recommend the Johnny Ridden high mobility version because it has some stronger joints and better hands. It also has simpler feet and forgoes having a toe bend. This helps it stand up better because the toe bend on the original RG made it rather wobbly. Also the heavier leg armor makes it more stable as a bonus.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The pipes are a pain in the rear end, and it has the old RG inner frame so over time/posing it'll get weaker, but it looks very nice and the rest of the build was cool. I'd rec the Johnny Ridden version if you have a choice, it has a bunch more weapons and some alternate armor parts.