Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Imagined posted:

I'm reading Interesting Times for the first time right now and by Pratchett standards it feels like there is some pretty cringy stuff in there. Some of it is the orientalism you'd expect, but surprising things that jumped out at me were the centrist boomer stuff about how it's pointless to try to change the system and anyone trying to lead a revolution is just out for their own glory, etc.

It is funny, though. The entire bit where the wizards discuss teleporting Rincewind to the Counterweight Continent while he tries futilely to object is so loving funny.

Interesting Times is tricky for me- I still feel like is the funniest Pratchett, but I'm not sure how much of that is simply residual nostalgia from it being my first discworld book. So much good dialogue! And "your wife is a big hippo," "Tangs, Hongs, Fangs and McSweeneys", urinating dog, "you can't hurt me I'm wearing magic aaargh" and "there he is, get im! Got im? Now kick im inna fork!" were just magic to 12-year-old me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The whole "scream for help in 20 languages and just scream in 40 more" gag is classic. Who can forget the tribe who developed a reputation for terrible cruelty because they thought their captives were shouting "Quick! Extra boiling oil!" - which is later referenced when the Agatean Emperor sentences someone to death.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Also we did a load of psilocybin over the weekend and this bit seemed very significant:

quote:

Only the other day Adrian Turnipseed had typed in 'Why?' to see what happened. Some of the students had forecast that Hex would go mad trying to work it out; Ponder had expected Hex to produce the message ?????, which it did with depressing frequency. Instead, after some unusual activity among the ants, it had laboriously produced: 'Because.' With everyone else watching from behind a hastily overturned desk, Turnipseed had volunteered: 'Why anything?' The reply had finally turned up: 'Because Everything. ????? Eternal Domain Error. +++++ Redo From Start +++++.'

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Imagined posted:

I'm reading Interesting Times for the first time right now and by Pratchett standards it feels like there is some pretty cringy stuff in there. Some of it is the orientalism you'd expect, but surprising things that jumped out at me were the centrist boomer stuff about how it's pointless to try to change the system and anyone trying to lead a revolution is just out for their own glory, etc.

It felt like Terry was more taking the piss out of revolutionary vanguardism and the sort of mindset where you kill off all the sparrows you can find only to be surprised that the next year you're up to your knees in locusts.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

citybeatnik posted:

It felt like Terry was more taking the piss out of revolutionary vanguardism and the sort of mindset where you kill off all the sparrows you can find only to be surprised that the next year you're up to your knees in locusts.
Yes. Also, it's not like the books have ever depicted Rincewind as being correct; he's the voice of cynicism, not the voice of reason. The counterpoint to Rincewind's anti-revolutionary rhetoric and Two Fire Herb's false bravado is Twoflower, whose quiet, long-suffering revolution ultimately succeeds by the end of the book.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The thing about Rincewind that doesn't make sense is that in later books he's talked about like he has some kind of innate talent for cowardice and survival, but in the first two Discworld books this is only a side effect of the 8th spell of the Octavo having residence in his head. The spell makes sure he survives everything, not Rincewind. But once the spell is out of his head, he somehow retains this seemingly magical knack.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yes. Also, it's not like the books have ever depicted Rincewind as being correct; he's the voice of cynicism, not the voice of reason. The counterpoint to Rincewind's anti-revolutionary rhetoric and Two Fire Herb's false bravado is Twoflower, whose quiet, long-suffering revolution ultimately succeeds by the end of the book.

I dunno, a lot of the stuff Rincewind says sound very much like Pratchett's voice and are consistent with other things he has to say about politics and human nature in this and other books.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Imagined posted:

The thing about Rincewind that doesn't make sense is that in later books he's talked about like he has some kind of innate talent for cowardice and survival, but in the first two Discworld books this is only a side effect of the 8th spell of the Octavo having residence in his head. The spell makes sure he survives everything, not Rincewind. But once the spell is out of his head, he somehow retains this seemingly magical knack.

The Great Spells are sentient, remember. It's not unreasonable to think that he not only learned the Spell, but he also learned from it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The Octavio keeps him from dying from falling over the edge of the Disc but he doesn't *know* that he'd survive. It does not keep him from being hit over the head with a kosh or otherwise being made to go through some very uncomfortable situations.

Rincewind got very good at running away from things as much from the latter as the former due to having to make do in AM back when the Broken Drum's bar fights weren't about scoring points.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
so i tend to read in character order, and while i've softened on it a bit the progression between Interesting Times, in my opinion a very good book that unfortunately felt overeager in places to be directly critical of the intended subject of the satire sometimes to the point of being a little uncomfortable, to Last Continent, not as good a book and more or less a mid 90s australian tourism brochure with Rincewind in it is sharp. i feel like if he'd split the difference a bit and made something slightly less critical in IT and more in TLC they'd both be better books.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Does anyone have any updates on the Wee Free Men movie? The last news I've seen from 2016 is that it's in pre-production with the Jim Henson Company and Rihanna was involved with the writing. Any tweets or anything?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Tree Bucket posted:

Interesting Times is tricky for me- I still feel like is the funniest Pratchett, but I'm not sure how much of that is simply residual nostalgia from it being my first discworld book. So much good dialogue! And "your wife is a big hippo," "Tangs, Hongs, Fangs and McSweeneys", urinating dog, "you can't hurt me I'm wearing magic aaargh" and "there he is, get im! Got im? Now kick im inna fork!" were just magic to 12-year-old me.

I love that any time someone goes "McSweeneys?" the answer is just "Very old, established family". Which is not an answer at all.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Jedit posted:

It's overlooked because Rincewind turned into comic relief. In the early books he's portrayed as seeking to avoid fights at all costs but knowing a lot about dirty fighting if he's cornered. He's also sexually active, although you can understand why that disappears after Sourcery. But that's the point where he becomes a one-note character existing only to run from one joke to the next.

It came up less often, but the series never actually forgot how dangerous Rincewind can be if given a good enough reason.

Unseen Academicals posted:

The older members of the faculty exhaled as the two heads left. Most of
them were old enough to recall at least two pitched battles among factions of
wizards, the worst of which had only been brought to a conclusion by
Rincewind, wielding a half-brick in a sock...

Ponder looked across at Rincewind now, and he was hopping awkwardly on
one leg, trying to put a sock back on. He thought it better not to comment.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Stroth posted:

It came up less often, but the series never actually forgot how dangerous Rincewind can be if given a good enough reason.
This is so bad. And you only need to delete the explicit reference to the brick in a sock to make it a fairly decent nod to long-time fans.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Xander77 posted:

This is so bad.

No, it’s fine.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Inelegant.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, this was an issue with the later Pratchett books -- the constant overstatement like this that would have been fixed in the editing in earlier years. I remember being annoyed by some of the Watch stuff in Monstrous Regiment for the same reason, Angua specifically winking at Vimes and saying "Oh ho, so we're not really intercepting the Times' messages" when their characters would have left most of it implied and unsaid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Can we please not have the 27th iteration of "you can tell that the Alzheimers was kicking in"?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, this was an issue with the later Pratchett books -- the constant overstatement like this that would have been fixed in the editing in earlier years. I remember being annoyed by some of the Watch stuff in Monstrous Regiment for the same reason, Angua specifically winking at Vimes and saying "Oh ho, so we're not really intercepting the Times' messages" when their characters would have left most of it implied and unsaid.

yeah, monstrous regiment was a decent book, but it didn't quite click like the previous ones

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah, monstrous regiment was a decent book, but it didn't quite click like the previous ones

Monstrous Regiment is one of his best books.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Monstrous Regiment is one of his best books.

it has like 80% of one of his best books, then goes completely to poo poo in the finale. still that 80% is very good.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

CoolCab posted:

it has like 80% of one of his best books, then goes completely to poo poo in the finale. still that 80% is very good.

The finale is the best part.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Did anyone ever play the Discworld MUD? I'm certainly dating myself, but back in 1995 through about 2002, I absolutely loved it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Former Everything posted:

Did anyone ever play the Discworld MUD? I'm certainly dating myself, but back in 1995 through about 2002, I absolutely loved it.

I have but I stopped about a decade ago because I was spending all my time there. I still log in once a month so, theoretically, I don't lose my player housing.

Spent more than a literal year active play time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I did! I was super into MUDs in the 90s and we even developed our own for a while, which ultimately turned into a collection of mean in-jokes about people we didn't like, because we were horrible teenage assholes.

I remember the Discworld MUD being fun, but also being full of people who felt super weird even back in the day. When a 17 year old me thinks "dude, you've got some loving weird opinions and attitudes"...

Kitty Fantastico
Nov 26, 2005

I played far too much from 1999-2002, I really enjoyed it.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Played it around 1999, killed the LAG more times than I could count, even got married there at one point. Lost interest after a few months though :)

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
It'd be kinda fun to pick up a MUD in 2021

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It's still there. Discworld.imaginary.com

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah that's the great thing about Old Internet poo poo. It often didn't go anywhere, and even if they don't have flashy websites or whatever, you can probably still connect to a lot of them through an SSH terminal session.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah that's the great thing about Old Internet poo poo. It often didn't go anywhere, and even if they don't have flashy websites or whatever, you can probably still connect to a lot of them through an SSH terminal session.

Flashy websites are the problem really. It's a lot easier to keep a text game written in a program that hasn't changed in twenty years and is probably a couple of megs at most running than something with all the bleeding edge bells and whistles that's huge and needs constant tweaking. 50% chance the server running any given MUD is sitting in someone's living room where it hasn't been touched in at least ten years.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Discworld MUD has a web client.

Edit: in addition to a terminal. Port 4242

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

This year is the 30th anniversary of the Discworld MUD, which is terrifying to think about.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I spent so much time on MUDs and MUSHes as a kid. Maybe I should try the Discworld one.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The_Doctor posted:

This year is the 30th anniversary of the Discworld MUD, which is terrifying to think about.

gently caress, now I have to go back.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I've been reading The Truth and Mr Pin and Mr Tulip really were one of Terry's finest hours.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

-ing right.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
About a year ago I started reading Discworld from the beginning, in order. I've just finished #21, 'Jingo', and I think it's my least favorite yet. Nothing particularly bad about it, it just feels like maybe this is the first one where a long-time reader starts to notice Vimes and Vetinari are starting to suffer a bit of Flanderization, or something. Did have some great jokes about war and the military, though.

A true mark of the consistency of quality in the Discworld books, though, is that I must've read a hundred different rankings of the books on the internet over the years, and every single one is WILDLY different. You'll see a book on top of one list and at the bottom of the other. Which means that how much you rate particular ones says more about you than it does about the series.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 25, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Jaguars! posted:

I've been reading The Truth and Mr Pin and Mr Tulip really were one of Terry's finest hours.

Have you seen the BBC Neverwhere series? Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar (The Old Firm) are who Terry was referencing. :D

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Liquid Communism posted:

Have you seen the BBC Neverwhere series? Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar (The Old Firm) are who Terry was referencing. :D

I once asked him about this, and he said he was referencing a common trope of the ‘smart one, dim one’ criminal pair, of which Croup and Vandemar are also drawn from the same well.

The L-Space annotated file says:

quote:

The characters of Pin and Tulip are somewhat frustrating for Terry in the sense that many, many people feel that they are 'obviously' based on Mr Croup and Mr Vandemar in Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere (who refer to themselves as the Old Firm, and call each other 'Mr'). Or 'obviously' based on the thugs Jules Winfield and Vincent Vega from the 1994 movie Pulp Fiction (and there are a good number of Pulp Fiction references in The Truth). Or obviously based on Mr Wint and Mr Kidd from the James Bond movie Diamonds are Forever. Or obviously based on the two Rons (who called themselves 'The Management') from the BBC Hale and Pace series. Or...

Terry himself had this to say:

"1. The term 'The Old Firm' certainly wasn't invented by Neil. I think it first turned up amongst bookies, but I've even seen the Kray Brothers referred to that way. Since the sixties at least the 'the firm' has tended to mean 'criminal gang.' And, indeed, the term turned up in DW long before Neverwhere.

2. Fiction and movies are full of pairs of bad guys that pretty much equate to Pin and Tulip. They go back a long way. That's why I used 'em, and probably why Neil did too. You can have a trio of bad guys (who fill roles that can be abbreviated to 'the big thick one, the little scrawny one and The Boss') but the dynamic is different. With two guys, one can always explain the plot to the other..."

"A point worth mentioning, ref other threads I've seen: Hale and Pace's 'Ron and Ron' worked precisely because people already knew the archetype."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Imagined posted:

About a year ago I started reading Discworld from the beginning, in order. I've just finished #21, 'Jingo', and I think it's my least favorite yet. Nothing particularly bad about it, it just feels like maybe this is the first one where a long-time reader starts to notice Vimes and Vetinari are starting to suffer a bit of Flanderization, or something. Did have some great jokes about war and the military, though.

I think that Jingo was the first Discworld book I read. The reason for that was that it was just that one and the Color of Magic that was in stock at the library. It worked out though since some of the characters also appeared in Discworld Noir which I was playing at the time.