Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah I've always assumed that Rei's...Rei-ness is like >95% just a factor of the horrid upbringing Gendo and NERV give her.

There's definitely an argument for that, given the motormouth Rei we see in Shinji's more mundane instrumentality world. (We also see that Rei 1 is much more talkative). That said, Rei is also somehow connected to the other clone bodies even when they aren't active, and that seems to be a big influence on her thought processes from when we get her internal monologues.

Rei 2 spends a lot of time in her head just to make sure she's able to tell what's "her" from what's "not her", and that does a lot to shape her personality. She's introspective, bookish, and distant because it fits with she's doing already, and she's sure enough in herself that she doesn't feel the need for social interaction with people she doesn't care about. Shinji and Gendo showed that they're willing to be harmed for her sake, so she thinks those relationships are important enough to maintain. Meanwhile Asuka presents her friendship as just a convenient social interchange, and since Rei doesn't much care about how people in general think of her, who cares?

If we're assuming that everything through the death of Rei 1 is the same, but Gendo actually gave a drat for his kids, I think Rei's general personality would still be similar to a (better adjusted) version of Show Rei, because a lot of the factors that made her that way would still exist, both external (she's got weird clone connections) and internal (as shown with Rei Q, liking books is something personal, not a trait built in or forced by Gendo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Rei's inner life is consistently underestimated by other characters in the show -- who consistently suffer the consequences when she finally acts of her own will or refuses to be their tool.

Also don't confuse her low self-esteem with not caring what other people think -- she doesn't value herself enough to care how they value her, but her connections to other people are all-important to her. In her mind, she's expendable but each of them is irreplaceable.

The above is all just text, but if can I read some of my own speculation into it for a minute -- I half-expect that Rei's frustration with Asuka stems in part from noticing how self-destructive Asuka is and disapproving. She's definitely not indifferent in that relationship (much as Asuka thinks she is, and much as that's what gets her upset about Rei, that she seems not to care about matters that are life and death to Asuka and that she can't get a rise out of her) -- just very self-contained, as usual.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Something very minor I just caught after rewatching Eva 3.0+1.0

lol TV series blue EVA 00 is in a blink or you'll miss cameo when Shinji is talking to Rei towards the end of the movie, kinda wish we got to see that color scheme in the rebuild movies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MechaX posted:

Something very minor I just caught after rewatching Eva 3.0+1.0

lol TV series blue EVA 00 is in a blink or you'll miss cameo when Shinji is talking to Rei towards the end of the movie, kinda wish we got to see that color scheme in the rebuild movies.

I saw that and went "wait, was Blue Unit-00 in Rebuild?" Also the "Goodbye, all of Evangelion" sequence remains stridently committed to the cause of never ever showing Unit-04 on screen because they just straight up skip right over it in the sequence. It will forever be the Merch EVA.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah I've always assumed that Rei's...Rei-ness is like >95% just a factor of the horrid upbringing Gendo and NERV give her.

Rei and Kaworu are the same kind of being, and both have clones and dummy systems and all that. But Kaworu is an extremely well-adapter dude and Rei is Rei. It's obviously a case of nurture and not nature.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
God now I'm reading Rei and Kaworu as representing parental love? Kaworu is kind, gentle and caring but still does things to hurt the ones he cares about, and is the earliest example of the line in Eva 3.0+1.0 you can either pat your old man on the back or put him down. Kaworu quite literally being Adam, a father of humanity. And Rei being the quiet submissive type that puts others above herself housewife, suffers in silence, replacable and one of many in the eyes of a husband?

God I know the Rei=Yui thing is just obvious text but I never really thought about Kaworu as being a father figure image to Shinji.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

trucutru posted:

Rei and Kaworu are the same kind of being, and both have clones and dummy systems and all that. But Kaworu is an extremely well-adapter dude and Rei is Rei. It's obviously a case of nurture and not nature.

I wouldn't exactly call Kaworu "Shinji Ikari's happiness is literally the only thing that matters in the whole world" Nagisa well adjusted. He's just got a different kind of damage from Rei.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

I wouldn't exactly call Kaworu "Shinji Ikari's happiness is literally the only thing that matters in the whole world" Nagisa well adjusted. He's just got a different kind of damage from Rei.

Socially well-adjusted then. Dude can at least interact with other people (e: and communicate his feelings! *gasp*) properly.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 29, 2021

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

trucutru posted:

Socially well-adjusted then. Dude can at least interact with other people (e: and communicate his feelings! *gasp*) properly.

at least until you show him a spear that's shaped differently from how he expects

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Rei's inner life is consistently underestimated by other characters in the show -- who consistently suffer the consequences when she finally acts of her own will or refuses to be their tool.

Yeah, I wish we had seen more of this out of Rei Q.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Crisis posted:

Yeah, I wish we had seen more of this out of Rei Q.

Rei Q isn't Rei II, though. They are, as Shinji noted, different people, shaped by different experiences.

Rei II is withdrawn and bookish, while Lookalike spends her time out farming with people, looking at animals, and babysitting. Rei II has years of awkward interpersonal experience, while Lookalike hadn't really spent much time with anyone before meeting Shinji.

It means that II has more of the mental vocabulary to frame her worldview, while Lookalike Ayanami doesn't. Even then, she has the moment with Asuka when discussing her feelings for Shinji that shows she's got the same base materials. Asuka views the "You're programmed to like Shinji" as this devastating attack, and Lookalike basically goes "Yes, and?". She seemed to have realized that on her own, and accepted her feelings anyway.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
What I wanna know is why, when he was making his new Eva-less world, which is implied to be the real modern day Earth, he decided to allow stuff like war, rape, genocide, climate change, clinical depression, etc. to exist :V

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

What I wanna know is why, when he was making his new Eva-less world, which is implied to be the real modern day Earth, he decided to allow stuff like war, rape, genocide, climate change, clinical depression, etc. to exist :V

Because Shinji prefers a world where people live, no matter how tainted with sin it is.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think it’s funny how he says he’s not going to rewind time or restart the world, which I know what he means from a meta textual perspective and I like what Anno is saying there, but Shinji it seems like that’s basically exactly what you did.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shinji least he took instrumentality off the table so humanity can live and die based on their own merits. it's not perfect certainly, but it's still a step up.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

SchrodingersCat posted:

I look at the Mari ending as being a case of "sometimes what you really needed was someone new, and someone you didn't expect." .

They make a big deal about how Shinji wants Asuka, as an analogy for himself, or Rei, as an analogy for Yui. Mari is clearly neither of those, and is so different she wasn't even in the original series. She is an anthropomorphic representation of Shinji leaving his trauma behind.

I read something similar to this regarding Mari and honestly agree with it. I feel like it works well as well.

Only thing that sucks though is that Asuka seems to get the raw deal in the ending. Seems like she still clearly has feeling for Shinji and I wish they had more dialog together during 3.0 + 1.0. Really, everything with Asuka just seemed rush. I also don't understand why Mari and Shinji did not have at least a tiny bit more interaction in earlier movies as well.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Do you think Rei and Kaworu become roommates on a mutual quest to find themselves

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

Cephas posted:

Do you think Rei and Kaworu become roommates on a mutual quest to find themselves

Sounds like you just spoiled one of the many upcoming manga spinoffs! There has to be a franchise plan of manga, video games, and more now that the Rebuilds are finished right?

With that new X-Men XCOM game coming out I was thinking how cool a Evangelion themed XCOM game would be leaving you in charge of NERV developing technology to fight off angels, condition stable child soldiers to pilot your monster mechs, plan for the instrumentality of mankind, etc...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cephas posted:

What if they were just siblings with a case of albinism?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cephas posted:

Nagisa Raising Project yaoi manga when

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Vinylshadow posted:

Nagisa Raising Project yaoi manga when

Misato kicks down the door and says "Okay, you bitchy angels! I've got a case for you!" Rei glances up uninterestedly from a book. Kaworu peers coyly at the sheepish boy Misato is fireman carrying. It's cherry boy Shinji. PenPen bursts out of the fridge and starts shouting his own name over and over.

i'm sorry

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

get in the arms, shinji.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NickDesideri/status/1431688035863867398

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ToxicToast posted:

I read something similar to this regarding Mari and honestly agree with it. I feel like it works well as well.

Only thing that sucks though is that Asuka seems to get the raw deal in the ending. Seems like she still clearly has feeling for Shinji and I wish they had more dialog together during 3.0 + 1.0. Really, everything with Asuka just seemed rush. I also don't understand why Mari and Shinji did not have at least a tiny bit more interaction in earlier movies as well.

See, my read was that Asuka doesn't have romantic feelings for Shinji in the ending. Throughout 3.33 and most of Thrice upon a time Asuka is frustrated at the fact that Shinji hasn't matured or grown mentally. When Shinji is initially nonverbal she dismisses it as him just being the same brat she knew as a child. Seeing Shinji on the beach be honest with her and talk to her like an equal is proof that he really has changed. By contrast Asuka still feels like she's in a state of arrested development (hence why, in a world shaped by her perception, she's wearing a plugsuit that she's outgrown) and turns away from Shinji out of embarrassment/mild shame.

Even if you interpret her feelings for Shinji as romantic/unresolved she does end the film realising that Kensuke doesn't see her as a child and genuinely cares about her. We get a final shot of her open entry plug outside of their house at the village so we know that at the very least they reunite before the world is rewritten.

Personally I would have liked to have seen a little more but since the point of her last scene with Shinji is him letting go of his feelings for her and letting her live her own life I get why she doesn't appear afterwards.

Incidentally, one thing I keep thinking about is whether the survivors of fourth impact remember the events of the world with Eva's. When instrumentality is taking place we see that the L-fields prevent the village from being absorbed so who's to say they wouldn't keep their memories? Probably something I shouldn't worry about but it's fun to consider.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
https://twitter.com/Nintendont_64/status/1431728119044399106

I've finally digested Thrice Upon a Time. Not my favourite ending (EoE) but not the worst either (Eps 25/26). I only started the series for the first time ever last year so I imagine I'd be more disappointed if I was waiting as long as y'all.

I don't like Mari at all. Ending up with Shinji when she was a classmate of Gendo and Yui's fails the vibe check. I'm not even 'Team Rei' or 'Team Asuka,' I just didn't like her character and lack of flaws. I also prefer love stories with devastating endings so maybe that's it.

The slice of life first hour was a highlight of the series and I wish there were angels involved in the latter half rather than spaceship vs mindless drone battles to elevate it to that height.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Just got an e-mail that the other Blu-Ray editions are up for pre-order. I am not interested in any extras nor dub but anyone have an idea what do they mean by the bonus classic versions?

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I cant stop listening to this from 3.0+1.0 it’s beautiful: https://youtu.be/blUHcPeL_KE

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

Just got an e-mail that the other Blu-Ray editions are up for pre-order. I am not interested in any extras nor dub but anyone have an idea what do they mean by the bonus classic versions?

It's the old ADV dub.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Those two new editions are way more reasonable than the first one they listed, I don't regret missing that thing

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
gently caress. I like the regular packaging but want the damned ADV Dub

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

Shneak posted:

I don't like Mari at all. Ending up with Shinji when she was a classmate of Gendo and Yui's fails the vibe check. I'm not even 'Team Rei' or 'Team Asuka,' I just didn't like her character and lack of flaws. I also prefer love stories with devastating endings so maybe that's it.

The slice of life first hour was a highlight of the series and I wish there were angels involved in the latter half rather than spaceship vs mindless drone battles to elevate it to that height.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Seemlar posted:

Those two new editions are way more reasonable than the first one they listed, I don't regret missing that thing

Yeah, I'm pretty happy to snag the standard edition.

Yup

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ah gently caress! I ordered the ultimate edition for the ADV dub only to discover they're doing a cheaper collectors edition. poo poo!

Adding salt to the wound, I prefer the minimalist aesthetic of the collectors edition over the ultimate editions bloat. My big fear is that the disk spindles/holders are gonna be crap as there's no indication of how the discs are held in the ultimate edition.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/status/1432297378841780228

Here's an image with all 3 in comparison. I didn't realize the ultimate was gonna be that big actually.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gotta say that was a kind of lovely way to manage the release; they really should have announced all three at the same time. At the very least they could have made it plain that the ADV dub would be available on a subsequent unlimited release.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
gently caress, do i really want to drop $175 for a bluray version of the classic dub? it's kind of galling that i'm essentially paying a $125 premium over the standard version just for an extra dub track

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Enh that Dub track is timelessly great. If i wasn't fine with my OG DVDs it'd be worth considering.

Back to the 25/26 chat, HS me was so confused about that finale when i got home slapped in that last DVD and just went WUT!? when it finished. I didn't even dislike it, I was just so confused by the drastic change in presentation.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
oh yeah, i'm a bitter old nerd who hates new things so i'm definitely sticking with the original dub. it's just hard for me to mentally justify a purchase versus just saying gently caress it and going the :files: route, especially when it's all content i already own on dvd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I cant stop listening to this from 3.0+1.0 it’s beautiful: https://youtu.be/blUHcPeL_KE

same, it's been stuck in my head for weeks.