Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Best lockdown movie is The Shining. Also recommend Misery and Gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dressed For Chess
May 6, 2007
Fun Shoe
Anyone got a trip report on the Regeneron treatment? Getting it Wednesday morning.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Open

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/29/health/us-coronavirus-sunday/index.html posted:

First, surges in Covid-19 infections led to shortages of hospital beds and staff. Now it's oxygen

(CNN)Parts of the South are running out of oxygen supply as Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations continue soaring, primarily driven by the swaths of people who remain unvaccinated and a dangerous coronavirus variant that has been tirelessly infecting millions of Americans.

Several hospitals in Florida, South Carolina, Texas and Louisiana are struggling with oxygen scarcity. Some are at risk of having to use their reserve supply or running out of oxygen imminently, according to state health officials and hospital consultants.
(..)
"Normally, an oxygen tank would be about 90% full, and the suppliers would let them get down to a refill level of 30-40% left in their tank, giving them a three to five day cushion of supply," Cross explained. "What's happening now is that hospitals are running down to about 10-20%, which is a one to two day supply on hand, before they're getting backfilled."

Even when they're getting backfill, it's only a partial supply of about 50%, Cross said. "It is very critical situation."

(..)
Hurricane Ida targeting Louisiana when Covid-19 hospitalizations remain high
(..)
"Evacuating hospitals is not going to be possible because there's nowhere to bring those patients to, there's no excess capacity anywhere else in the state or outside the state," Edwards said.

"Then you have people who may be injured as a result of the hurricane itself, and so we need to make sure we have some capacity for them," he said. "We still have a very, very challenging situation here across the state of Louisiana."
(..)
'We're headed into a really tough time for young people,' doctor says
A return to in-person learning has led to thousands of students having to quarantine across the US, with Covid-19 cases among children surging to levels not seen since winter.

And hospitalizations of children due to Covid-19 could continue to increase as more of them return to classrooms this fall.

"There is no question that we're headed into a really tough time for young people," Dr. Esther Choo told CNN's Wolf Blitzer Saturday.

Choo, a professor of emergency medicine at Oregon Health & Science University, added that while people had some reassurance last year that the virus wouldn't affect children as severely, this year is different.

"We're going back to school in-person, unmasked across the United States. There's a lot of resistance to things like mask mandates and vaccinations that would keep our kids safer in schools," she said.
(..)
"We're no doubt going to see more of what we're seeing now, which is hospitals just bursting with pediatric admissions," she said, noting Covid-19 deaths of children will also become more common.
Biden.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/giannihillpa/status/1431669497832878095?s=21

luckily the green parts are about 80% of the states population

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

hospital management companies will be handing out huge bonuses to the executives this year

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

bedpan posted:

hospital management companies will be handing out huge bonuses to the executives this year

No, that's what rich people did 20 years ago, nowadays you just grant stock options to the exec team while devoting all your free cash flow to stock buybacks. It's literally like printing money, and almost completely tax free.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
JIT cadaver storage capacity not working out so well.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/569866-2-counties-in-oregon-requesting-refrigerated-trucks-to-hold-bodies-as posted:

Oregon counties request storage for bodies as COVID-19 deaths spike

Two counties in Oregon have requested refrigerated trucks to store bodies amid a spike in coronavirus deaths.
(..)
In her request form, Josephine County Emergency manager Emily Ring said that the county hospital was “exceeding daily cadaver storage capacity and the 5 funeral homes and 3 crematoriums describe themselves as not yet in crisis but at the edge of crisis capacity daily.”
(..)

Pingui fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 29, 2021

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mola Yam posted:

hmm not quite spreadsheet material, but maybe i'll add you to the spreadsheetwaitinglist.txt notepad file instead.

She has put up with me for 18 years now despite spending all of last year trapped in a studio apartment, I think we'll survive.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This takes me back to when we talked about it in the last thread ~a year ago.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...e-delta-variant posted:

Coronavirus FAQ: How Do The Rules of 6 Feet And 15 Minutes Apply To The Delta Variant?
August 27, 2021 3:36 PM ET
(..)
First of all, the 6-feet, 15-minute CDC definition was always an approximation, Leana Wen, an emergency physician and public health professor at George Washington University, points out.

"There was nothing magic about 6 feet and 15 minutes," she says. "However, we have to draw the line somewhere."

The distance was based on research dating back to the late 1800s about how far infectious droplets can travel through the air before falling to the ground. But it was never meant to be an ironclad guarantee — and as we know now, COVID-19 also spreads through aerosols that can travel more than 6 feet.

"In my view it was interpreted in too many places as a sort of rule that the virus would follow," says William Hanage, a Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health associate professor of epidemiology. "Somewhat obviously, being in an unventilated space with a highly infectious person for an hour would not suddenly become 'safe' " if you sat more than 6 feet away from them.
(..)
If only there was some kind of entity that could have said something about this at the time. Ahh well.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sheeit I just noticed Australia just ticked over 1,000 total covid deaths since March 2020.

We didn't have a single death for the first half of 2021. :(

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pingui posted:

Open

Biden.

Wow it sure is hosed up that nobody on the planet has ever seen a problem like this before happening in India a few months ago, especially not the people in charge of preventing problems like this like the people who saw this happening in India in May which was three months ago and then decided we shouldn’t wear masks so they could gently caress OSHA over. poo poo, what a senseless tragedy, if only god’s throne didn’t sit empty and there were some way for humans to monitor things happening on the planet without relying on messenger pigeons and you know what gently caress this sarcastic tone the CDC are loving criminals and Walensky should be put in the stocks and made to look in the eyes of the family members of every human being her choices got killed. The line itself would be the kind of superspreader event that one would assume she would be proud of, based on her performance so far. Give Fauci a pillory that’s like five inches shorter than hers right next to her.

Real Mean Queen fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 29, 2021

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Sheeit I just noticed Australia just ticked over 1,000 total covid deaths since March 2020.

We didn't have a single death for the first half of 2021. :(

Must feel pretty good finally leaving the yoke of being COVID free. One imagines, based on news reporting.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i ignored the news yesterday and went peach picking. looks like things still aren't that bad yet, nice

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

durrneez posted:

gently caress. people in the hospitals are turbofucked—patients, staff, health care providers, everyone. :aaaaa:

The good news is if anything bad happens we can charge the hospital staff with felonies and have no consequences at all for the people in charge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Days_at_Memorial

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
A bit more on C.1.2

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/new-covid-variant-detected-in-south-africa-most-mutated-variant-so-far-678011 posted:

New COVID variant detected in South Africa, most mutated variant so far
The C.1.2 variant first detected in South Africa is more mutated compared to the original virus than any other known variant.
A new coronavirus variant, C.1.2, has been detected in South Africa and a number of other countries, with concerns that it could be more infectious and evade vaccines, according to a new preprint study by South Africa's National Institute for Communicable Diseases and the KwaZulu-Natal Research Innovation and Sequencing Platform. The study is awaiting peer review.

Scientists first detected C.1.2 in May 2021, finding that it was descended from C.1, which scientists found surprising as C.1 had last been detected in January. The new variant has "mutated substantially" compared to C.1 and is more mutations away from the original virus detected in Wuhan than any other Variant of Concern (VOC) or Variant of Interest (VOI) detected so far worldwide.

While first detected in South Africa, C.1.2 has since been found in England, China, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mauritius, New Zealand, Portugal and Switzerland.

The scientists believe that the number of available sequences of C.1.2 may be an underrepresentation of the spread and frequency of the variant in South Africa and around the world. The study found consistent increases in the number of C.1.2 genomes in South Africa on a monthly basis, rising from 0.2% of genomes sequenced in May to 1.6% in June and then to 2% in July, similar to the increases seen with the Beta and Delta variants there.

The study also found that the C.1.2 lineage has a mutation rate of about 41.8 mutations per year, which is nearly twice as fast as the current global mutation rate of the other variants. The scientists stated that this short period of increased evolution was also seen with the Alpha, Beta and Gamma variants, suggesting that a single event, followed by a spike in cases, drove faster mutation rates.

More than half of the C.1.2 sequences have 14 mutations, but additional mutations have been noticed in some of the sequences, suggesting that evolution within the lineage is ongoing, according to the study.

More than half (about 52%) of the mutations in the spike region of the C.1.2 sequences have previously been seen in other VOCs and VOIs. The mutations N440K and Y449H, which have been associated with escape from certain antibodies, have also been noticed in C.1.2 sequences. The scientists stressed that the combination of these mutations, as well as changes in other parts of the virus, likely help the virus evade antibodies and immune responses, including in patients who have already been infected with the Alpha or Beta variants.

The scientists added that further work is required to understand the exact impact of these mutations and to see if they give the variant a competitive advantage over the Delta variant.
(..)

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Pingui posted:

Open

Biden.

lmao I can't even loving IMAGINE

probably everyone in the hospital is depending on that oxygen to live. And there's nothing you can do once it runs out ... Conventional emergency maneuvers like manual bagging, CPR, backup generator, etc all totally useless. Just all of a sudden the O2 stops flowing and everyone starts dying simultaneously.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Covidcane is now a cat 5.

Absolute worst case scenario since they didn't evac nola at all

https://twitter.com/donowx/status/1431936645029302278?s=19

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Pingui posted:

A bit more on C.1.2

lol

we're gonna get pummeled out of existence by some angry RNA all while our poo poo-brained rulers tell us: "nothing to be done, this endemic now"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/unwanted-record-russias-covid-deaths-hit-new-high-in-july posted:

Unwanted record: Russia's COVID deaths hit new high in July

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

petrocovidcane hopefully

120 mph oil/covid winds that catch on fire ???

come on

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pingui posted:

A bit more on C.1.2

The study found consistent increases in the number of C.1.2 genomes in South Africa on a monthly basis, rising from 0.2% of genomes sequenced in May to 1.6% in June and then to 2% in July, similar to the increases seen with the Beta and Delta variants there.

The study also found that the C.1.2 lineage has a mutation rate of about 41.8 mutations per year, which is nearly twice as fast as the current global mutation rate of the other variants. The scientists stated that this short period of increased evolution was also seen with the Alpha, Beta and Gamma variants, suggesting that a single event, followed by a spike in cases, drove faster mutation rates.

What is this nonsense? Everyone knows that the novel coronavirus is an exceptionally stable virus with a very low chance of mutation.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

LionArcher posted:

here’s an open secret about frozen one. nobody, and I mean nobody at the studio or in the biz thought it was a good movie or worked.

but let it go. a loving song saved it.

That's weird Let It Go isn't even a good song.

Had more fun with the sequel.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

silicone thrills posted:

hmmm seems bad

Ida evacuated the city if Iwas them

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pingui posted:

The distance was based on research dating back to the late 1800s

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lil poopendorfer posted:

lmao I can't even loving IMAGINE

probably everyone in the hospital is depending on that oxygen to live. And there's nothing you can do once it runs out ... Conventional emergency maneuvers like manual bagging, CPR, backup generator, etc all totally useless. Just all of a sudden the O2 stops flowing and everyone starts dying simultaneously.

We pretty much saw what happens like the video of the Egyptian hospital in which the oxygen supply system malfunctioned, killed all the COV19 in the ward.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pingui posted:

This takes me back to when we talked about it in the last thread ~a year ago.

If only there was some kind of entity that could have said something about this at the time. Ahh well.

quote:

"There was nothing magic about 6 feet and 15 minutes," she says. "However, we have to draw the line somewhere."

6 feet and 15 minutes was absolutely sold as magic

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

My brain parsed that as he was eating out a guy

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

jisforjosh posted:

Really really needs a comma because that's what the sentence structure implies.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

bedpan posted:

6 feet and 15 minutes was absolutely sold as magic

well, until it switched to “there’s nothing that says three feet aren’t as good as six feet—six feet isn’t magic”

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

jisforjosh posted:

same

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

She has put up with me for 18 years now despite spending all of last year trapped in a studio apartment, I think we'll survive.

Clean the apartment really well, light some candles, and give her a back massage.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

Yeah I'm going to call them Monday and tell them listen jack when I come in Wednesday night I'll go to the ed and someone get test me because I'm not loving driving 2 hours on my weekend because I was an adult and got the vaccine so loving deal with it or I can easily find an mri job for higher pay anywhere in the country you rubes. loving eat it for not making vaccines mandatory you cocks.

yes, this is the way.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

it’s true that three feet works just as well as six feet the same as the lockdown protesters were right that it doesn’t make sense to have restaurants open and schools closed

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

Yeah I'm going to call them Monday and tell them listen jack when I come in Wednesday night I'll go to the ed and someone get test me because I'm not loving driving 2 hours on my weekend because I was an adult and got the vaccine so loving deal with it or I can easily find an mri job for higher pay anywhere in the country you rubes. loving eat it for not making vaccines mandatory you cocks.

please get a booster shot

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The conclusion that coronaviruses spread through droplets and are not airborne is based on a single study that cut off the particle size in the droplet range and apparently we've just been extrapolating from incorrect conclusions for a couple hundred years lol.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol Sleepy Joe saying maybe the booster shot should be changed to 5 months

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/27/biden-says-us-health-officials-are-considering-covid-booster-shots-within-5-months.html

When you crib notes from other countries test results since the CDC continues it's record of being behind the 8 ball on the latest research.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

silicone thrills posted:

we need that same color gradient for covid trackers

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Best lockdown movie is The Shining. Also recommend Misery and Gravity.

The best lockdown media is anything that sucks that also takes forever to get through. I regret not keeping a list of all of the horrible things I’ve watched all the way through during the pandemic, but there are some real winners in there like Lexx and Teen Mom 2. I think I’ve seen most of the notable tv adaptations of Stephen King’s works, and I definitely watched all of The Magicians. I saw a good amount of True Blood before I got too bored, and I’ve been going through Below Deck: Mediterranean because it’s like Vanderpump Rules but with added boat problems.

I’m still locking myself down, I’ve got this down to a science. Find something that you instinctually hate in a way where you can yell at it, put it on your second monitor or some other situation where you can still post or play games while hating it, and just let it rip. Pause it when you go to the bathroom.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Dressed For Chess posted:

Anyone got a trip report on the Regeneron treatment? Getting it Wednesday morning.

My wife and I received it. We did fine infusion takes 20 min, have to wait an hour after infusion for monitoring. We both felt bad the night after but better the next day.

Battening down the hatches goon. Covid didn’t get me, hopefully Ida is as kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nodelphi posted:

My wife and I received it. We did fine infusion takes 20 min, have to wait an hour after infusion for monitoring. We both felt bad the night after but better the next day.

Battening down the hatches goon. Covid didn’t get me, hopefully Ida is as kind.

Your wife after the treatment

https://twitter.com/vicbergeriv/status/1316490707620691968?lang=en